Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3,369 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

The Dark Corner is a great film.  It's not often that Lucy pops up in non-comedic genres, especially noir! I've been trying to make it a point to see all the films in the Fox Film Noir series.  Fox produces many of my favorite noir films.

Has Noir Alley ever aired The Dark Corner ? I have a feeling it has, but can't remember for sure. Anyway, I emphatically agree with you, The Dark Corner is a great film. It has everything I like...a gritty urban setting, a sympathetic protagonist, actors like William Bendix and Clifton Webb, - and, what a treat ! Lucille Ball ! I also really like Mark Stevens in this film. He reminds me a little of Dana Andrews. And I really enjoy the ongoing banter, the combination of sexual attraction and camaraderie between Lucy's character and Mark's.

The Dark Corner would be a fun movie to pair with some other film that includes a bit of an "art" or "portrait" theme - there are quite a few noirs that would fit this description. 

Now that you've mentioned Mark Stevens, I'm sure I've seen Dark Corner. I've always found him very attractive!

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Now that you've mentioned Mark Stevens, I'm sure I've seen Dark Corner. I've always found him very attractive!

Me too !

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Me too !

LOL. Similar tastes!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Has Noir Alley ever aired The Dark Corner ? I have a feeling it has, but can't remember for sure. Anyway, I emphatically agree with you, The Dark Corner is a great film. It has everything I like...a gritty urban setting, a sympathetic protagonist, actors like William Bendix and Clifton Webb, - and, what a treat ! Lucille Ball ! I also really like Mark Stevens in this film. He reminds me a little of Dana Andrews. And I really enjoy the ongoing banter, the combination of sexual attraction and camaraderie between Lucy's character and Mark's.

The Dark Corner would be a fun movie to pair with some other film that includes a bit of an "art" or "portrait" theme - there are quite a few noirs that would fit this description. 

Yes, TCM has aired The Dark Corner;  I know because MOVIES-TV shows the film a lot as part of Sunday Night Noir,  and they censor (block out) the breast of the Italian statue at the end of the film (the one Stevens pretends to be interested in to get inside Webb's office).  YEA,  censoring of a 1946 film!   So when TCM showed the film I made a point to look at the scene to ensure I wasn't crazy.   

I'm a big fan of The Dark Corner but there is something cookie-cutter about the film.  I.e. it is like some mid to late 50s noir films where it appears the screenwriter and director had a noir-element checklist while making it.

But generally those elements are weaved in a fairly seamless manner and with that fine cast the film 'works'. 

36 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes, TCM has aired The Dark Corner;  I know because MOVIES-TV shows the film a lot as part of Sunday Night Noir,  and they censor (block out) the breast of the Italian statue at the end of the film (the one Stevens pretends to be interested in to get inside Webb's office).  YEA,  censoring of a 1946 film!   So when TCM showed the film I made a point to look at the scene to ensure I wasn't crazy.   

I'm a big fan of The Dark Corner but there is something cookie-cutter about the film.  I.e. it is like some mid to late 50s noir films where it appears the screenwriter and director had a noir-element checklist while making it.

But generally those elements are weaved in a fairly seamless manner and with that fine cast the film 'works'. 

Thanks, james. I will say, I did know that TCM, the station, has aired The Dark Corner, a few times, I think. What I was wondering was if Noir Alley, you know, the TCM program dedicated to noir, hosted by Eddie Muller, had ever aired it.

As for the film being "cookie-cutter", I disagree. Don't forget (as if some of the posters on this thread would let us ), the concept of "film noir" as a genre/or style did not exist when The Dark Corner was made, so the director, writer, and crew would not be following any kind of noir "template".

Also, there are a lot of aspects to this film that are fairly unique, such as the whole story thread about William Bendix's white suit, Clifton Webb's obsession with his wife and her portrait, and Lucille Ball and Mark Steven's date, where they wander around a carnival eating hot dogs and discussing baseball. I find it quite a fun movie.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

I cant remember if I've seen Lured or not, but I think so.

That is me...but..with The Dark Corner.

I'll find out Saturday! I'm pretty sure I've seen The Dark Corner now, but I've forgotten the plots of both

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Lucille Ball and Mark Steven's date, where they wander around a carnival eating hot dogs and discussing baseball.

They are actually in an arcade there were many of them scattered around New York City, the most prolific were the Playland Arcades, there were others. If I remember right the one in the film was the Tudor Arcade, which if I'm not mistaken was in set up in the old Tudor Theater near 3rd Avenue and 42nd Street.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I think during that period and even now, there are certain elements that the producers and directors wish to "check off" in their films and TV shows.  Sort of like writing a mystery story 101.  There are certain things that have to be there.

As for Dark Corner, I enjoy it when I watch it, but not a big fan of it.  May watch it this time.  Lured is the same for me, but less enjoyable.  Not sure why, but it may be the London setting.  While I enjoy movies in "exotic" locations, not sure this is one of them.

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Lured is the same for me, but less enjoyable.  Not sure why, but it may be the London setting.  While I enjoy movies in "exotic" locations, not sure this is one of them.

According to IMDb Lured was filmed in General Service Studios - 1040 N. Las Palmas, Hollywood.

6 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

According to IMDb Lured was filmed in General Service Studios - 1040 N. Las Palmas, Hollywood.

Sort of figured that, but somehow it just didn't have the right "feel" for me.

57 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I can't recall if there were many outdoor \ city scene ('views') in Lured but if there was I guess stock-location film was used,  which often doesn't represent the location a director is trying to convey very well.  

This is one of the things I love about Night and the City; while the film was produced by an American Studio with the lead actors American,  the plot was set in London and filmed on location in London.   (and of course the solid British supporting actors).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

What's interesting is that I think I Love Lucy filmed its first two seasons in this studio.

• Thanks 2

On 1/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, misswonderly3 said:

I don't get to see Lured because I live in Canada. Doesn't make any sense.

What Lured you to Canada?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

What Lured you to Canada?

Stable government, socialized healthcare, maple syrup, wide open land, a general sense of politeness and less pervasive violent culture...I don't get the whole poutine thing, but that's at least 5 possible reasons off the top of my head....

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I didnt know what Poutine was until I looked it up. YUCK!

I know right?

Learn something new every day...it's just not always something you want to.

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know right?

LOL!

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Stable government, socialized healthcare, maple syrup, wide open land, a general sense of politeness and less pervasive violent culture...I don't get the whole poutine thing, but that's at least 5 possible reasons off the top of my head....

The maple syrup would have swayed me.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know right?

I don't know.  There's a food truck at a bar I like to go to (called "Beergarden") and it has Poutine.  I'm all in for gravy and fries.  Add some steak and maybe sub out the squeaky cheese and add some good cheese, grab some craft brew and I'm good to go!

On 1/8/2019 at 6:26 PM, Vautrin said:

I can't claim to be a big fan of Bierce as I haven't read much of his fiction, but I have

enjoyed The Devil's Dictionary for many years. And much of DD can be applied to

today's scene with minor changes in terminology. Not all of the definitions hit home

but a large number do and tellingly so. 

Agreed.

Times may change but intrinsically people often don't.

6 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Agreed.

Times may change but intrinsically people often don't.

Yes they may change a bit, but most of the old Adam and Eve are

still here.

• Thanks 1