Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3,536 posts in this topic

I still prefer Robert Mitchum in 1975's Farewell My Lovely compared to Dick Powell in Murder My Sweet.  Even at 57, he could still handle the role very well.  Also, since PI's never made any money and never got married, what else would Phillip Marlowe have been doing at age 57?  Fred MacMurray was much better in Double Indemnity than Powell would have been.

William Holden would have worked very well.  Haven't seen it in a long time, but I kind of picture his acting in The Blue Knight.  The others not so much.  Big fan of James Garner and have seen his Marlowe, but too much Maverick/Rockford.  In fact the pilot for Rockford Files sort of reminds me of his Marlowe.

I found Anne Shirley to be interesting and wondered why I hadn't seen her in more movies - she retired after making MMS.  Never read the book, but did read the synopsis on Wikipedia.  Apparently the daughter role was written for the movie, but based on a character in the book. 

Of course Claire Trevor's performance predicted her later success in similar roles.

As for the movie, another very good choice.  Eddie Muller's intro and outro were not as interesting as some previous ones.  Most interesting comment was about how Mike Mazurki got his role.

Why did they change the movie's name anyway?

I do like Dick Powell in Cry Danger (1951). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCid said:

William Holden would have worked very well.  Haven't seen it in a long time, but I kind of picture his acting in The Blue Knight

That got a long overdue disc release recently. Maybe I'll finally get to see it.

221043_large.jpg

I like MMS too and also wondered why they changed the name. Bogart has always been one of my favorite actors, but I'm not so sure he would have been as good as Dick Powell in this particular film. 

Also, I thought Claire Trevor was great. I had just seen her earlier this week in KEY LARGO. Of course she was older and the role was quite different, but it really showed her range as an actress.

• Like 1

More on Murder My Sweet vs. Farewell My Lovely.  Why did they change Jules Anthor to a madam running a bordello in FML?  Character and occupation were same in MMS and the book. Of course, Helen Grayle had a much darker secret in FML.

Eddie referenced Lloyd Nolan and he played Michael Shayne in Time to Kill (1942), but it was based on a Phillip Marlowe novel.  Later remade as The Brasher Doubloon.

Next Saturday, Noir Alley comes on at 8:00 PM for a double feature or at least two noirs hosted by Eddie Muller.  Act of Violence and In a Lonely Place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That got a long overdue disc release recently. Maybe I'll finally get to see it.

221043_large.jpg

From what I recall, you will probably like it.  Darker than the TV series with George Kennedy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Why did they change the movie's name anyway?

Farewell My Lovely sounded to much like another Dick Powell musical they didn't want to confuse movie patrons so they went with Murder My Sweet

• Haha 1

Some interesting stuff concerning Raymond Chandler and Farewell My Lovely the 1940 novel. Chandler actually cannibalized some of his short stories to put it together. He used The Man Who Liked Dogs, 41 pages (Black Mask, March 1936), Try The Girl, 41 pages (Black Mask, January 1937) and Mandarin's Jade 53 pages (Dime Detective, November 1937). What is interesting in reading these short stories is that each of them alone would have made equally good films.

The Moose Malloy character though has never been depicted in any version as Chandler described him. In Try The Girl he was originally named Steve Skalla and he is described in the story as being....

"He wasn't just big he was a giant. He looked seven feet high and wore the loudest clothes I ever saw on a really big man.

Pleated maroon pants, a rough grayish coat with white billiard balls for buttons, brown suede shoes with explosions of white kid on them, a brown shirt, a yellow tie, a large red carnation, and a front door handkerchief the color of the Irish flag. It was neatly arranged in three points under the red carnation. On Central Avenue, not the quietest dressed street in the world with that size and that makeup he looked about as unobtrusive as a tarantula on a slice of angel food."

In Farewell My Lovely Moose is described...

"A big man not more than six feet five inches tall and not wider than a beer truck."

"He wore a shaggy borsalino hat, a rough gray sports coat with white golf balls on it for buttons, a brown shirt, a yellow tie, pleated gray flannel slacks with alligator shoes with white explosions in the toes. From his outer breast pocket cascaded a show handkerchief of the same brilliant yellow as his tie. There were a couple of colored feathers tucked into the band of his hat, but he really didn't need them. Even on Central Avenue, not the quietest dressed street in the world, he looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a piece of angel food."

Also before Philip Marlowe Chandler's two short story detectives were named Carmady and Dalmas   

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Solafide said:

I tried watching Murder, My Sweet this morning as our church was cancelled due to weather.   I have never had a problem with TCM on my HULU but today it said it wasn't available in my area???  Any idea why that might be?

Hmmmm...so you live in Dayton Ohio, do ya Solafide?

And, you say you were having trouble watching a certain movie on TCM in your area, do ya?

AND, Ohio IS pretty close to Canada, is it not?

Gee, I wonder if that kind'a thing is now spreading south across our mutual international border with those Canucks up there???

(...so, what do YOU think, MissW?...think this could be the case here TOO???) ;)

LOL

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, TheCid said:

Next Saturday, Noir Alley comes on at 8:00 PM for a double feature or at least two noirs hosted by Eddie Muller.

Maybe....every Saturday night would be good?

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Eddie MullerVerified account @EddieMuller

THE PERFECT MARLOWE?

I would have cast William Holden. His work with Billy Wilder showed he could play it sardonic and sarcastic.

Had many of Marlowe’s character traits, and could play chess like the guy in the books. ⁦

I would have loved to have seen Holden and Wilder in the 1950s do an adaptation of Chandler’s best book, THE LONG GOODBYE.

#NoirAlley #perfectmarlowe #williamholden@tcm

Aside from Sunset Boulevard, did William Holden appear in any other noir? Or is 'Boulevard' his only foray into that genre?

17 hours ago, TheCid said:

Next Saturday, Noir Alley comes on at 8:00 PM for a double feature or at least two noirs hosted by Eddie Muller.  Act of Violence and In a Lonely Place.

Looks like Noir Alley was preempted for a SAG Lifetime Achievement Award spotlight.  I see a double feature on Sunday, the theme is entitled "LA Noir."  Act of Violence and In a Lonely Place are the two films scheduled.

Isn't In a Lonely Place Eddie Muller's favorite film?

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Isn't In a Lonely Place Eddie Muller's favorite film?

for some reason, yes.

this came up a little while back.

(tbh, I've seen the film maybe 10 times or more and never once have I really liked it)

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

for some reason, yes.

this came up a little while back.

(tbh, I've seen the film maybe 10 times or more and never once have I really liked it)

I like the film (I actually own the Criterion copy), but I wouldn't call it my favorite noir.  I do enjoy it though.  I think the pairing of Bogart and Grahame is interesting.  I also found the plot an interesting premise.  I actually watched this film again a couple weeks ago and recognized Jeff Donnell as Gidget's mom in Gidget Goes Hawaiian.  Lol.

I hate to make another Debbie-Downer post twice in the same morning but my loathing for 'In a Lonely Place' has been firmly on record for some time now. I saw it on the big screen --expecting a masterpiece--those hopes dashed--and so you can imagine the corresponding intensity of my dislike.

Put it this way: if it was the in-flight movie on a DC-10 shuttling me over the frozen Potomac in the middle of winter and during a Black Panther rally below, I'd be hammering at the aft hatch to leap out of the plane.

Docking a significant 'esteem point' for Mr. Mueller. Nice guy but I won't be splitting any wings with him after this. :)

5 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I hate to make another Debbie-Downer post twice in the same morning but my loathing for 'In a Lonely Place' has been firmly on record for some time now. I saw it on the big screen --expecting a masterpiece--those hopes dashed--and so you can imagine the corresponding intensity of my dislike.

Put it this way: if it was the in-flight movie on a DC-10 shuttling me over the frozen Potomac in the middle of winter and during a Black Panther rally below, I'd be hammering at the aft hatch to leap out of the plane.

Docking a significant 'esteem point' for Mr. Mueller. Nice guy but I won't be splitting any wings with him after this. :)

I'm sure Eddie will be truly heartbroken.

As for you jumping out of a plane, please stop getting my hopes up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

You don't have to read my posts, camrade...

Ditto, twinkletoes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm sure Eddie will be truly heartbroken.

As for you jumping out of a plane, please stop getting my hopes up.

Starting to remind you of a certain other person(s) who dislikes Muller? ;) :lol: 

58 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I like the film (I actually own the Criterion copy), but I wouldn't call it my favorite noir.  I do enjoy it though.  I think the pairing of Bogart and Grahame is interesting.  I also found the plot an interesting premise.  I actually watched this film again a couple weeks ago and recognized Jeff Donnell as Gidget's mom in Gidget Goes Hawaiian.  Lol.

if you haven't already, read the original ending of the film- which is included, as i recall, in its wiki and imdb and afi trivia/ alternate version entries.

I REALLY wish they had kept the original ending, but as I recall, Eddie disagrees.

25 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Wow Sarge! Gotta say you've REALLY gotten into that whole hyperbole thing lately around here, haven't you! ;)

(...btw...once again Eddie's last name is "Muller", and not like the guy's who has been taking his sweet time with a certain government investigation this past year)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I hate to make another Debbie-Downer post

What made you think of that old SNL sketch?  Not many refer to that these days

several aeons ago, LawrenceA hissed,

Ditto, twinkletoes.

The difference is yours don't bother me at all. Hence, why I never air any peevish whining. Not that I would anyway. (that's part of 'being a man'). :)

SNL sketch

--Det Jim M

H'mm! Learnt something new. I admire the early SNL; later casts never amused me...but as far as I ever knew, this phrase was just common American parlance. I never thought about where it came from. 'Unknown origin' as far as I was concerned. Thank ye

Just now, Sgt_Markoff said:

several aeons ago, LawrenceA hissed,

The difference is yours don't bother me at all. Hence, why I never air any peevish whining. (That's also called 'being a man'). :)

Oh, so you're a "man"? And here I thought you were just one particular part of one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

You don't have to read my posts, camrade...

Do you like "I Was A Communist For The FBI" (1951)? It's kind of a Red Scare noir.