Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3,536 posts in this topic

Oh aye. Heard it many times. Its not my favorite show only because its a tad slow-moving. But Dana Andrew stars, and he's not bad at all as a voice actor. Good effort by him. He plays Max Radek (sp?) a character based on the famous Canadian defector Gouzenko. Dana Andrews, usually a polite guy, met Gouzenko briefly while preparing for the role. He comes back a few minutes after chatting with him, and asks his producer, "Do I really have to play this piece-of-****..."? lol

I enjoyed "Murder, My Sweet".  It's one of those TCM gems (for me anyway).  The way the dialog is written and delivered by the actors is part of what makes film noir great.  I loved Claire Trevor saying, "Let's dispense with the polite drinking, shall we?".  It's a classy way of saying, "What do ya say we get hammered?"!  I also loved Anne Shirley's rant near the end of the picture about 'big-league blondes'.  Every time I hear that line, I think of former Roller Derby star Joanie Weston of the San Francisco Bay Area Bombers!   Moments of levity add to the fun of this film without detracting from the main story, like when Dick Powell does his little dance step before meeting Dr. Grayle and his second wife, or when Powell pokes fun at Moose Malloy when he says, "I want you to meet a guy.".  

I also enjoy the wrap-arounds to these films provided by Eddie Muller.  They are quite detailed, and fun to listen to.  He never mentioned anything this time about this film being Anne Shirley's last go-round in pictures as she retired at the tender age of 26!  Too bad too.  I loved her in this role; would have enjoyed seeing her in similar kinds of roles.  You could make the argument that Ben, Alicia, and Dave could do the same with every single picture they introduce too, but doing it so often (5-7 minutes before and after each picture) might diminish its effect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:51 AM, Dargo said:

Someone do me a favor here, if ya would.

Last night on Eddie's out-tro of Murder, My Sweet he mentioned all the actors who have played Phillip Marlowe on film over the years. He then said he had one in mind, who while never playing the character, he thought might have been great in the role, and so if you'd go to his Film Noir Facebook page you'll see who that would be.

You know these sorts of website forum boards are SO passe now days and evidently only internet dinosaurs like you and I use 'em anymore, don't ya?! Uh-huh, EVEN ones actually GEARED and directly associated with TCM ITSELF, evidently! ;) LOL

And so because I don't have a Facebook account, well okay, I did have one years ago but haven't used it for years now and thus have forgotten my password there, would somebody who DOES use Facebook please go to that Facebook page and report back to me who the actor is that Eddie thinks would have been a great Phillip Marlowe, and 'cause I'm dyin' to know now.

(...thanks in advance)

Right, Dargs, I was going to post something very similar. And like you, I had two things to say about Eddie's "teaser" remark at the end of his commentary.

The first was, like you, I was left very curious as to who this mystery actor was, who Eddie thought would have made the best Philip Marlowe. Well, mystery solved, thanks to someone here very nicely supplying the answer: William Holden !  And I can see it ! He would have made a great Philip Marlowe, too bad it never happened. (I'm a big fan of Mr. Holden.)

The second point I wanted to make was already made by you, quite well, I think. How come Eddie encourages conversation about Noir Alley on Twitter and Facebook, but doesn't even mention this here TCM discussion boards site? Honestly, it makes me feel like he's snubbing us message board people. And I bet the comments, insights, and exchange of information here on this Noir Alley thread on the TCM forum are more knowledgeable and detailed and even fun than most of the stuff being discussed on those social media sites.

Come on, Eddie, don't snub us long-time faithful (not to mention noir-loving and brilliant *) posters here ! Throw us a few crumbs of attention too !

(* edit: My describing of the posters here on this thread as "brilliant" was meant as a friendly inclusive internet group pat on the back, and was not referring to I, miss w, who is not nearly as knowledgeable as many of the regular posters here.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, misswonderly3 said:

The second point I wanted to make was already made by you, quite well, I think. How come Eddie encourages conversation about Noir Alley on Twitter and Facebook, but doesn't even mention this here TCM discussion boards site? Honestly, it makes me feel like he's snubbing us message board people. And I bet the comments, insights, and exchange of information here on this Noir Alley thread on the TCM forum are more knowledgeable and detailed and even fun than most of the stuff being discussed on those social media sites.

Come on, Eddie, don't snub us long-time faithful (not to mention noir-loving and brilliant *) posters here ! Throw us a few crumbs of attention too !

Like you I find this interesting since Eddie Muller knows we are here.  However, do we really want to let the facebook and twitter people know about us?  Just saying.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's too embarrassed. Who wouldn't be? Very rum crew here; in that everyone is anonymous; free-wheeling, (totally free accounts)...no accountability for anything we spout. Lounging around in our sweat pants scratching ourselves. Making off-color jokes. A site like this makes no sense in the commercial world. No host would ever want to mention it publicly!

23 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Like you I find this interesting since Eddie Muller knows we are here.  However, do we really want to let the facebook and twitter people know about us?  Just saying.  

Interesting thought here, Cid. Hadn't thought about this before.

So what reservations do or would you have about the "Hoi polloi" making their presence known in this cozy little group of ours?

Think it might "dumb-down" the proceedings or somethin'?

(...yeah, possibly I suppose, but then again and as I earlier said, with we apparently being the "internet dinosaurs" of today's society, I doubt there'd be all THAT much infusion of "new blood" into this forum even IF Eddie would begin mentioning this place in his out-tros as an alternate location for classic film discussion)

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Aside from Sunset Boulevard, did William Holden appear in any other noir? Or is 'Boulevard' his only foray into that genre?

The Dark Past (1948), Union Station (1950), and The Turning Point (1952)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The Dark Past (1948), Union Station (1950), and The Turning Point (1952)

Wow! I had no idea.  I've never heard of any of these films.  I'll need to keep an eye on the upcoming TCM schedules so that I can record these.

Thank you!

'Union Station' is first-rate. 'Turning Point', not so much. Purely my own reaction, mind you.

• Like 1

Think it might "dumb-down" the proceedings or somethin'? 

General rule of thumb for anything is, if you're cozy and comfortable...don't announce or publicize it. A horde of strangers barging in anywhere always invokes unpleasant changes. New rules, new policies. Let sleeping dogs lie! :)

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

General rule of thumb for anything is, if you're cozy and comfortable...don't announce or publicize it. A horde of strangers barging in anywhere always invokes unpleasant changes. New rules, new policies. Let sleeping dogs lie! :)

So, in essence the opposite of, "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands" then, eh Sarge?! ;)

I dunno, I still don't see any ill-effects of Eddie mentioning this little shindig we've got goin' here to the people out there too if they might feel like talkin' film noir flicks with others.

(...not to mention if Eddie himself might make the occasional visit around here too)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...not to mention if Eddie himself might make the occasional visit around here too)

He has a few times in the past, usually after a certain someone unloads some vituperation in his direction.

• Thanks 1

When you're the czar, you don't have to do any honking. You sit in the center and say nothing. Let the geese around you make the noise and flap their wings. (seem to recall that's a Gogol quote).

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

He has a few times in the past, usually after a certain someone unloads some vituperation in his direction.

Oh yeah, I remember those little encounters he had with someone a few years back and when he felt obliged to defend himself after that someone had taken a few potshots at him.

(...guess I can understand why he might be a little gun-shy to come back around here now)

• Like 1

Agreed. Its part of why the internet is too silly to be taken seriously by grown men. A medium that breeds cowardly, petty, sniping and disrespect. If Muller is any kind of a man at all he'd never bother addressing his detractors. Serious interpersonal beefs should be brought to one in a  face-to-face manner, or not at all.

29 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Agreed. Its part of why the internet is too silly to be taken seriously by grown men. A medium that breeds cowardly, petty, sniping and disrespect. If Muller is any kind of a man at all he'd never bother addressing his detractors. Serious interpersonal beefs should be brought to one in a  face-to-face manner, or not at all.

I get your point here Sarge, but I'm not sure I completely agree with it.

"Not taking the internet too seriously", yeah I can dig that, but addressing one's detractors on it somehow "making one less than they are", naaaah, can't go along with that one.

(...I think that all comes down to how "low" one decides to go while they state their case in such an encounter...on the net OR face-to-face)

I can't figure it any other way, myself. Remember the Cowboy code. It never does one any credit to hit a woman, right? Or a kid? Or grapple with a smaller man under your own weight? Right? That's what the internet foments; hair-pulling and slapping. Shrillness. The way little kids fight, slapping you and running away. Why demean yourself by engaging? If Muller shares this attitude of mine, I salute him.

22 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Wow! I had no idea.  I've never heard of any of these films.  I'll need to keep an eye on the upcoming TCM schedules so that I can record these.

Thank you!

Union Station was pretty good. Director: Rudolph Maté, with William Holden, Barry Fitzgerald, Nancy Olson, Lyle Bettger, 

The story of begins with Olson on a train back to Chicago. She watches as a speeding car races the train to the station on a parallel highway. Two men get out, board the train, and the car speeds away. The men inexplicably sit apart from each other and Olson notices that as one stows away his suitcase in the overhead rack that he's wearing a shoulder holster. She tells the conductor who wires ahead to the Lieutenant (Holden) in charge of security at Union Station. We soon find out that its a kidnap and ransom caper. Barry Fitzgerald plays his memorable stock Irish police commander, and Lyle Bettger is a great villain.

SSE157stockyards.jpg
A similar shot to one in the film above

This film abounds in atmosphere and absolutely great, great, location shots, not only does Union Station (it's L.A.'s Union Station BTW filling in for Chicago) play a prominent part, but we also get extended period Chicago Elevated shots, the Chicago stockyards, and the climax in the Chicago Tunnel Company RR tunnels  I give it    10/10 on the locations alone. :D

The Dark Past (1948) I can't remember if I've seen, and The Turning Point (1952) I saw just once long ago that I'd have to revisit it.

• Like 1

I just caught (between movies) one of those "fillers" in which Muller said he has a sign that reads "Barroom, NOT classroom" hanging somewhere in his home and that "It's words I live by EVERY DAY!"  :huh:

What!  Is he admitting to being a LUSH?

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I totally agree with you on this. The assumption that everyone is on Facebook and/or Twitter drives me crazy. I'm on this site and a couple of golf forums, but that's it. I have no desire whatsoever to join those sites. My guess is that because there are ads on those forums we are all encouraged to join. I know a lot of people love social media because it allows them to easily communicate with friends and family. However, there is so much garbage out there one has to be very careful. My wife is on Facebook mainly to keep up with our children and grandchildren. Every day she shares with me some outlandish story that is circulating and masquerading as "news". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2019 at 2:17 PM, TheCid said:

What is LA Noir?  Did I miss something?

Must've been noir books I was thinking of (in addition to noir film based in Los Angeles). Here's a link to Akashic Books for anyone interested in books with a geographically noir focus: http://www.akashicbooks.com/subject/noir-series/

18 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Must've been noir books I was thinking of (in addition to noir film based in Los Angeles). Here's a link to Akashic Books for anyone interested in books with a geographically noir focus: http://www.akashicbooks.com/subject/noir-series/

I have read some of those books.  Not bad, but a mix of short stories in each volume so some are good and some are not so good.  The publishers do periodically change the mix in the books so you may find ones you have already read in a volume with a different title.

20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Some say Eddie Vujkovich [aka Muller] has spies here who alert him whenever slights are made towards his credibilities as a film expert and then he might show up to rebut them. Or when anyone says they don't think he looks like Dick Powell in the slightest degree. 

His spies are people whose books he promotes as being the next best thing to sliced bread, sliced noir bread that is...that roam the provinces of the TCM board and report back. Can't say I blame him for not wanting to tangle with some of the heavyweight noir experts here who knows things off the top of their head and not from doing research.

Addendum: Sorry if I made your eyeballs spin, CigarJoe. Personally I'd rather see you hosting Noir Alley on TCM, after reading many of your informative and knowledgeable posts on the subject. Plus you look more like a noirish guy, who could tangle with a Jane Greer, and that looks totally natural in a fedora, than Muller ever has in his whole life.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I just caught (between movies) one of those "fillers" in which Muller said he has a sign that reads "Barroom, NOT classroom" hanging somewhere in his home and that "It's words I live by EVERY DAY!"  :huh:

What!  Is he admitting to being a LUSH?

Sepiatone

I'm sure Muller is not a lush. Bite your tongue! If he were, he might be a lot better fiction writer since so many like Hammett had a drinking problem.

23 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Right, Dargs, I was going to post something very similar. And like you, I had two things to say about Eddie's "teaser" remark at the end of his commentary.

The first was, like you, I was left very curious as to who this mystery actor was, who Eddie thought would have made the best Philip Marlowe. Well, mystery solved, thanks to someone here very nicely supplying the answer: William Holden !  And I can see it ! He would have made a great Philip Marlowe, too bad it never happened. (I'm a big fan of Mr. Holden.)

(* edit: My describing of the posters here on this thread as "brilliant" was meant as a friendly inclusive internet group pat on the back, and was not referring to I, miss w, who is not nearly as knowledgeable as many of the regular posters here.)

I think you underestimate your talents and are quite the noir cognescenti, Miss Wonderly. And I agree Muller is amiss in not posting to his seemingly immediate audience in the TCM site, who regularly watch the movies on Noir Alley and possibly are the reason he is still employed there due to their cable or other viewing choices. Though personally I don't care for Muller's intros, I'm sure there are many here who would be interested in his immediate responses to questions about the films, instead of just the pretaped commentary, which could be done by almost anyone with a computer and knowledge of how to use the IMDB site.