Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3,596 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Maybe you just have better taste than to read books with chicks named Velda, Lorna?

Every time I hear the name "VELDA" I say "VELDA BABY!!" to myself in RALPH MEEKER'S VOICE.

Add my name to the list of fans of KISS ME DEADLY (1955) the movie though- in fact, anyone who wants to claim it's the greatest noir of all time has pretty legit ground on which to build their case.

• Like 2

Did that Velda actress appear in any other noteworthy films? I cant recall ever seeing her in any.

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Did that Velda actress appear in any other noteworthy films? I cant recall ever seeing her in any.

It looks like Maxine Cooper was in just a few films, and a bunch of 50's TV.

Film
Year Title Role Notes
1955 Kiss Me Deadly Velda Wickman Alternative title: Mickey Spillane's Kiss Me Deadly
1956 Autumn Leaves Nurse Evans  
1957 Zero Hour! Sick Woman on Plane .  
1962 What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Bank teller  
Television
Year Title Role Notes
1948 The Front Page Peggy Grant Television movie
1954 The New Adventures of China Smith   1 episode
1954–1956 Schlitz Playhouse of Stars Various roles 5 episodes
1955 The Star and the Story Mary Rainey 1 episode
Alfred Hitchcock Presents Mary 1 episode
Studio 57   1 episode
The Millionaire Virginia Hewett 1 episode
You Are There   1 episode
1956 Chevron Hall of Stars Rob 1 episode
Matinee Theatre   1 episode
Four Star Playhouse Millie Barr
Carol
2 episodes
Wire Service   1 episode
Dragnet   3 episodes
The Count of Monte Cristo Susan 1 episode
State Trooper Mary Herndon 1 episode
General Electric Theater Helen 1 episode
1957 Soldiers of Fortune Diane Graham 1 episode
Maverick Donna Seely 1 episode
1958–1959 Perry Mason Gladys Strome
Edith Devoe
2 episodes
1959 Peter Gunn Maria Matzi 1 episode
The D.A.'s Man Ina 1 episode
Richard Diamond, Private Detective Edith Beldon 1 episode
The Twilight Zone Amy 1 episode
1960 Philip Marlowe, Private Eye Janet 1 episode
Wanted: Dead or Alive Constance Howard 1 episode
1975 Fear on Trial   Television movie
1980 High Ice Peggy Television movie, (final appearance)

Yeah,  I just looked it up. She has a familiar face.

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I watched both and enjoyed both films.  When "Silent Sunday Night" started, I decided to continue on the noir train and I watched Sweet Smell of Success.  I love the music.  I also love the cinematography in this film.  In many ways, the style of this film reminds me of Face in the Crowd

Both 'Success' and 'Crowd,' were made when the production code was on its way out and have a grittier aesthetic.  I like the way both films are shot.  With 'Success' especially, I appreciate that the film wasn't a series of glamour close-ups.  Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis at times are shot with the camera looking up at them; or the composition of the scene features one character very close-up in the frame with other characters a bit off to the side and behind. 

Are there other films from this era that feature this same type of cinematography/aesthetic?

The Young Savages (1961) 

Screenshot%2B%25288403%2529%2B-%2BCopy.png

Screenshot%2B%25288426%2529.png

Screenshot%2B%25288429%2529.png

Screenshot%2B%25288434%2529.png

Screenshot%2B%25288445%2529.png

Screenshot%2B%25288492%2529.png

Experiment in Terror (1962)

Dead%2BAshton.jpg

Chief%2BPopcorn%2BRipley.jpg

lowangle.jpg

first+hoodie.jpg

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Home.jpg

noirish+13+The+Manchurian+Candidate+1962

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

6 KEEP THE ORIGINAL ENDING!!!!!!!

Yes that would make all the difference for me. 😎

• Like 2

On 1/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, mr6666 said:

LA Noir - 1/27

"In honor of sister channel TNT's six-part limited series I Am the Night

I Am The Night

Ok watched episode one on TNT.

Two stories so far circa mid 60s. 

An independent junkie "paparazzi" who works as a sort low rent WeeGee sneaks into the L.A. morgue and takes a picture of what looks like a pretty gruesome corpse. He gets caught, gets beat up by the cops and thrown into a squad car with a black man.

A "trick baby" in Sparks, Nevada finds out that the woman she thought was her mother isn't. She works after school as a cleaning gal in a Catholic Hospital and she sneaks in to get her sealed records. She finds out that her grandfather is a prominent L.A. She phones him and he invites her to visit. She splits for The City Of Angels.

The teaser sequences alluding of things to come in L.A. seam a bit kinky.

Well filmed, but of course broken up at least 3-4 times for commercials. I'll watch episode two.

PS Had to listen/watch to some god awful Stars Wars spin off type crap wait for it to start. 

• Thanks 1

I actually grew up in same county where Mickey Spillane lived.  All I remember is that he and his wife were judges at a beauty contest one year while I was in high school early 60's).  As I remember he was short and unimpressive, but she was very attractive (maybe more but memory is dull).  He really did not get a lot of local publicity for an area with a very small population.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I Am The Night

An independent junkie "paparazzi" who works as a sort low rent WeeGee sneaks into the L.A. morgue and takes a picture of what looks like a pretty gruesome corpse. He gets caught, gets beat up by the cops and thrown into a squad car with a black man.

1. The main character is a heroin addict? Sounds interesting.

2. WeeGee?

56 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I actually grew up in same county where Mickey Spillane lived.  All I remember is that he and his wife were judges at a beauty contest one year while I was in high school early 60's).  As I remember he was short and unimpressive, but she was very attractive (maybe more but memory is dull).  He really did not get a lot of local publicity for an area with a very small population.

every now and then TCM shows that weirdassed movie SPILLANE made in the 50's for Warner Bros where he plays HIMSELF solving a murder mystery set, as I recall, in the Barnum and Bailey Circus.

it's worth checking out for its ahead of its time meta-concept; and i kind of bemoan the fact that it did not start a trend where 20th Century American authors played themselves solving or fighting crimes in film or television series.

(Oh to live in a world where THE TRUMAN CAPOTE MYSTERIES was real.)

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I Am The Night

Ok watched episode one on TNT.

Two stories so far circa mid 60s. 

A "trick baby" in Sparks, Nevada finds out that the woman she thought was her mother isn't. She works after school as a cleaning gal in a Catholic Hospital and she sneaks in to get her sealed records. She finds out that her grandfather is a prominent L.A. She phones him and he invites her to visit. She splits for The City Of Angels.

The teaser sequences alluding of things to come in L.A. seam a bit kinky.

Well filmed, but of course broken up at least 3-4 times for commercials. I'll watch episode two.

PS Had to listen/watch to some god awful Stars Wars spin off type crap wait for it to start. 

sorry, moved my post to the I Am the Night thread.

Edited by Solafide

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. The main character is a heroin addict? Sounds interesting.

2. WeeGee?

Chris Pine's ex-L.A. Times and now freelancing reporter/photographer character in this series is a cocaine addict, Lorna.

And after having to look up CJ's "WeeGee" reference, this is what he was referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weegee

(...btw...I watched this last night and have to say I was intrigued enough with it that I'll at least watch episode two next week)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And after having to look up CJ's "WeeGee" reference, this is what he was referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weegee

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh, okay! I get it now!

(thanks)

The closest thing my mind went to was that his character was one of those guys who hangs out by the overpass and washes your car window for you- which would actually be a convenient sideline for a paparazzo.

• Haha 2

weegee_167_1982_465414_displaysize.jpg

Weegee was the pseudonym of Arthur (Usher) Fellig (June 12, 1899 – December 26, 1968), a photographer and photojournalist, known for his stark black and white street photography.[1] Weegee worked in Manhattan, New York City's Lower East Side, as a press photographer during the 1930s and 1940s, and he developed his signature style by following the city's emergency services and documenting their activity.[2] Much of his work depicted unflinchingly realistic scenes of urban life, crime, injury and death. Weegee published photographic books and also worked in cinema, initially making his own short films and later collaborating with film directors such as Jack Donohue and Stanley Kubrick.

19384-wee.jpg

19378-wee.jpg

• Like 1

Been a while since I've watched it, and so would the photo here...

19378-wee.jpg

...be a still from Kubrick's Killer's Kiss ?

(...CJ, I'm sure you'll know)

WEEGEE had a unique eye, and influenced many a budding photographer( yours truly among them  ;)  ) 

And "silver tongued" JOE PESCI did a fairly good portrayal of a WeeGee type character in the movie THE PUBLIC EYE. ('92, after doing "My Cousin Vinnie".)  Good flick.  Check it out sometime.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

every now and then TCM shows that weirdassed movie SPILLANE made in the 50's for Warner Bros where he plays HIMSELF solving a murder mystery set, as I recall, in the Barnum and Bailey Circus.

it's worth checking out for its ahead of its time meta-concept; and i kind of bemoan the fact that it did not start a trend where 20th Century American authors played themselves solving or fighting crimes in film or television series.

(Oh to live in a world where THE TRUMAN CAPOTE MYSTERIES was real.)

One of the things that I find disconcerting is to read a book and visualize the characters and then see a movie based on the book and the actors are totally wrong from my perception.  Sometimes it is not a problem as in One for The Money with Katherine Heigl, whereas I refuse to watch any of the Jack Reacher movies with Tom Cruise as he does not match the character at all.

How many authors actually describe their main characters in their images?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TheCid said:

One of the things that I find disconcerting is to read a book and visualize the characters and then see a movie based on the book and the actors are totally wrong from my perception.  Sometimes it is not a problem as in One for The Money with Katherine Heigl, whereas I refuse to watch any of the Jack Reacher movies with Tom Cruise as he does not match the character at all.

How many authors actually describe their main characters in their images?

I know that Cruise does not match the character as described in the book (not even close), but I watched two of the movies and thought they were quite good. With a character like Reacher or Dave Robicheaux from the James Lee Burke novels, or Travis McGee from the McDonald novels, there are probably no current or recent actors that match their physical description. I have read that Lee Child was perfectly fine with Tom Cruise being cast as Reacher.

3 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I know that Cruise does not match the character as described in the book (not even close), but I watched two of the movies and thought they were quite good. With a character like Reacher or Dave Robicheaux from the James Lee Burke novels, or Travis McGee from the McDonald novels, there are probably no current or recent actors that match their physical description. I have read that Lee Child was perfectly fine with Tom Cruise being cast as Reacher.

Money talks.

27 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

WEEGEE had a unique eye, and influenced many a budding photographer( yours truly among them  ;)  ) 

And "silver tongued" JOE PESCI did a fairly good portrayal of a WeeGee type character in the movie THE PUBLIC EYE. ('92, after doing "My Cousin Vinnie".)  Good flick.  Check it out sometime.

Sepiatone

And didn't Danny DiVito also play a "Weegee" in L.A. Confidential ?

25 minutes ago, TheCid said:

whereas I refuse to watch any of the Jack Reacher movies with Tom Cruise as he does not match the character at all.

5 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Netflix has entered into a production deal with Lee Child to make a TV series of Jack Reacher. Child will have more control over the series, and one of his chief stipulations was final approval on the casting of Reacher.

• Like 2

I exchanged a few emails with an author re: a TV series made based on his book series.  Apparently some "studios" or producers get a lot more leeway in changing characters, plots and just about everything.  Drastically different than the books - and not in a positive way in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Netflix has entered into a production deal with Lee Child to make a TV series of Jack Reacher. Child will have more control over the series, and one of his chief stipulations was final approval on the casting of Reacher.

Interesting to see who gets cast. If someone is found who actually matches Reacher's description I suspect it will be someone none of us have heard of. It would be sort of like trying to cast Judge Holden in a movie version of Blood Meridian (if anyone ever attempts that).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Been a while since I've watched it, and so would the photo here...

19378-wee.jpg

...be a still from Kubrick's Killer's Kiss ?

(...CJ, I'm sure you'll know)

no

• Thanks 1