Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

4,948 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

And didn't Danny DiVito also play a "Weegee" in L.A. Confidential ?

More of a low rent Walter Winchell gossip mag writer Hush Hush Magazine, "Hush Hush and on the Q-T."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going back in time to the point where someone was complaining about Eddie Muller....

Last night I watched a recording of Noir Alley, and was struck by what a great host Eddie Muller was in the intro & outro. He spoke his lines well (bet he wrote it too) and came across as relaxed, personable & knowledgeable.

I'm not sure what issue viewers have with him, I found him as good a TV movie host as Robt Osborne. (maybe they prefer a goof host like Elvira or Svengoolie?)

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

And didn't Danny DiVito also play a "Weegee" in L.A. Confidential ?

Not really.  Just a sleazeball who ran a sleazy Hollywood rag.  WeeGee never(to my knowledge) hid behind a two-way mirror taking expose` shots or blackmail pics.  ;) 

Sepiatone

23 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Netflix has entered into a production deal with Lee Child to make a TV series of Jack Reacher. Child will have more control over the series, and one of his chief stipulations was final approval on the casting of Reacher.

Ooops, just realized this is a Netflix production, so 99.9% chance I'll never see it.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:26 PM, GordonCole said:

I kinda get a kick out of Spillane but I also find the cracks made by Paddy Chayefsky in Marty about Spillane's writing skills or lack thereof, hilarious.

I just saw MARTY for the first time ever this morning and OH MY GOD, THAT SCENE IS BRUTAL (and The most accurate assessment I have ever seen one writer give another.)

Like, they really should’ve amended Mickey Spillane’s obituary and put his death date down as, “the moment that scene in MARTY where they talk about him was filmed.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I just saw MARTY for the first time ever this morning and OH MY GOD, THAT SCENE IS BRUTAL (and The most accurate assessment I have ever seen one writer give another.)

Like, they really should’ve amended Mickey Spillane’s obituary and put his death date down as, “the moment that scene in MARTY where they talk about him was filmed.”

Yeah, it was really a cutting blow about Spillane's writing skills, particularly coming from a character in the movie who thought a man should marry a dame twenty years younger than him...at one year of age! But I'm sure also that Spillane laughed all the way to the bank, as Liberace used to say, Lorna.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:20 AM, TikiSoo said:

I'm going back in time to the point where someone was complaining about Eddie Muller....

Last night I watched a recording of Noir Alley, and was struck by what a great host Eddie Muller was in the intro & outro. He spoke his lines well (bet he wrote it too) and came across as relaxed, personable & knowledgeable.

I'm not sure what issue viewers have with him, I found him as good a TV movie host as Robt Osborne. (maybe they prefer a goof host like Elvira or Svengoolie?)

DRTD

3 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

DRTD

Yeah, back in the day and when I lived in L.A., I used to have to take that to work whenever my car was in the shop.

God, there's nothing worse than the bus system of Los Angeles, ya know.

(...okay, I give up here, Gordie...what the hell does "DRTD" stand for???)

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2019 at 5:36 PM, LawrenceA said:

"It looks like Maxine Cooper was in just a few films, and a bunch of 50's TV."

Yes, she was in that episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents with the great ending, called Salvage. In it [SPOILERS AHEAD] Gene Barry is going to off this woman [not Maxine but Nancy Gates] who says basically "Go ahead and kill me, I have nothing to live for anyway" [I made that up but you get the idea] and then Gene feels ostensibly sorry for her, and sets her up in business in a dress shop that she always wanted to own, and keeps tabs on her for quite a long time, and finally she has her life together and is the happiest she's ever been and when she tells Gene to thank him...then he gets out the heat again to off her finally for good, saying it would have been no fun to kill someone who wanted to die anyway and was miserable. Maxine played one of the other women in the show and looked dishy as usual.

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, back in the day and when I lived in L.A., I used to have to take that to work whenever my car was in the shop.

God, there's nothing worse than the bus system of Los Angeles, ya know.

(...okay, I give up here, Gordie...what the hell does "DRTD" stand for???)

Ask Tiki-Soo. She's the queen of using the Didn't Read acronyms after people's posts. 

Every acronym I know I learned from reading her posts.

• Thanks 1

Since Noir Alley is on hiatus during the February Oscar month, I thought I would try to help Noir fans by listing some of the Noir films that are part of this month's programming:

2-23    Key Largo (1948) - also scheduled for Noir Alley on 5-18

(The daytime theme on Feb. 27th is crime dramas)
2-27    Johnny Eager (1942) - also scheduled for Noir Alley on 11-9
2-27    The Maltese Falcon (1941) - the first Noir Alley selection back on 3-5-2017
2-27    The Naked City (1948)
2-27    The Asphalt Jungle (1950) - also scheduled for Noir Alley on 6-1
2-27    White Heat (1949) - also scheduled for Noir Alley on 5-11
2-27    Mystery Street (1950) - previous Noir Alley selection back on 4-15-2018

3-1     The Narrow Margin (1952) - previous Noir Alley selection back on 5-5-2018

And for those who want to look ahead, here is the Noir Alley schedule for March:

3-9     D.O.A. (1950)
3-16   High Sierra (1941)
3-23   Lady in the Lake (1947)
3-30   Border Incident (1949)

Happy viewing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

With regards to D.O.A.:   is hothead, sadistic Chester one of the best things about the film or one of the worst,  most unrealistic?  

I'm torn;   the role is unrealistic because no head of a criminal organization would have someone like that one their payroll.    A small group of criminals that are friends \ relative might,  but not a well financed,  professional criminal organization.   Such a group might hire someone like Chester for a one-time job but then remove him after the job is over.

But at the same time watching what Chester does is one of the pleasures of D.O.A.   (especially the part where he finds out one can't scare a man that has already been murdered!).  

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to D.O.A.:   is hothead, sadistic Chester one of the best things about the film or one of the worst,  most unrealistic?  

I'm torn;   the role is unrealistic because no head of a criminal organization would have someone like that one their payroll.    A small group of criminals that are friends \ relative might,  but not a well financed,  professional criminal organization.   Such a group might hire someone like Chester for a one-time job but then remove him after the job is over.

But at the same time watching what Chester does is one of the pleasures of D.O.A.   (especially the part where he finds out one can't scare a man that has already been murdered!).  

I view it as the boss wanted someone who would do whatever he was told, no questions asked or remorse.  Also he was good as a threat to someone.  Remember, we're talking criminals here, not your local bank - or real estate developer.  Although that might be the same.

7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I view it as the boss wanted someone who would do whatever he was told, no questions asked or remorse.  Also he was good as a threat to someone.  Remember, we're talking criminals here, not your local bank - or real estate developer.  Although that might be the same.

A person with Chester's mentality may not be able to 'do whatever he was told';  E.g.  Boss: Hey, just beat him to get the info;   Chester's buddy;  Sorry,  boss, well you know Chester,  he started beating the guy and was getting such a kick out of it,  he killed him!

Yea,  a criminal boss wants someone that will do what they are told and to me Chester's persona isn't reliable in this regard.   (compared to say Joe Stefanos,   the henchman for mobster Kirk Douglas in Out of the Past).

Whatever the practicalities of Chester's hiring, it was fun to see him get his in the

drugstore shootout, just as it was fun to see Joe Pesci get his in a couple of "Mafia"

flicks. The meaner they are, the more satisfying. 

23 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Whatever the practicalities of Chester's hiring, it was fun to see him get his in the

drugstore shootout, just as it was fun to see Joe Pesci get his in a couple of "Mafia"

flicks. The meaner they are, the more satisfying. 

I agree;  the drugstore scene was well done and directed.   

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree;  the drugstore scene was well done and directed.   

Yes, it made a good setting for the shootout. I always get a kick out of the sound

effect that plays in the first half hour or so whenever O'Brien sees a good looking

dame. Crazy.

Noir Alley is back! BE THERE.

If Eddie is reading this, here's a request.  Please have TCM show 1949's Impact with Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Charles Coburn, Helen Walker and Anna May Wong.  Sidebar: In this film noir,  Donlevy's home was in the Brocklebank Apartments at 1000 Mason Street in San Francisco, mostly famous as the building where Kim Novak's character, Madeleine, lived in Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958).

• Like 3

On 4/10/2017 at 8:18 AM, DownGoesFrazier said:

His role as the D.A. in A PLACE IN THE SUN served as his bridge from playing heavies to "Perry Mason", although he continued to play villains after A PLACE IN THE SUN.

Many critics didn't like Burr's performance in APITS with Leonard Maltin calling his "scenes as fiery D.A. downright absurb."

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

If Eddie is reading this, here's a request.  Please have TCM show 1949's Impact with Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Charles Coburn, Helen Walker and Anna May Wong.  Sidebar: In this film noir,  Donlevy's home was in the Brocklebank Apartments at 1000 Mason Street in San Francisco, mostly famous as the building where Kim Novak's character, Madeleine, lived in Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958).

United Artist film so it may be difficult (or too expensive) for TCM to lease the film.

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

United Artist film so it may be difficult (or too expensive) for TCM to lease the film.

Impact is in the public domain. It's been on TCM a few times, and is scheduled to be on again in April.

• Thanks 1