Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

4,985 posts in this topic

The fact there may have been matte in the background, doesn't necessarily mean it was not a location shot. There may have been something in the background they wanted taken out of the shot. I don't recall now if the ship and the dock were in the same shot(s). It's possible the ship shots were on the backlot.

25 minutes ago, Hibi said:

The fact there may have been matte in the background, doesn't necessarily mean it was not a location shot. There may have been something in the background they wanted taken out of the shot. I don't recall now if the ship and the dock were in the same shot(s). It's possible the ship shots were on the backlot.

I have notice on many old movies where I think there is screen or false background behind the people actually is a real one.  Something about the way the various portions of the scene are lit or how photography worked at the time or how converting it for TV affects it.

I don't what it was like in the early 1950s, but Petersburg, VA did have its rundown areas

in the early 2000s. :)

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I don't what it was like in the early 1950s, but Petersburg, VA did have its rundown areas

in the early 2000s. :)

Common sense says that if you go to Hoboken, NJ on a street called River Street you would try to get the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline in the background of the action or why the hell go, no?

Most of the studio set NYC noirs have establishing shots but then go right to the backlots. A native New Yorker can tell the diff. As soon as they started more and more on location shooting (Naked City, Crime Wave for Los Angeles etc., etc.) going back to the backlot sets looked more and more fake-ish. Pickup on South Street did a great job of recreating the city without ever being there, but take a look at 60s noir The Money Trap (1965) where they do live location shooting but use a studio NYC set for a downtown LA location and it's obvious that it isn't, it's a visually jarring experience.

I always say where the f are the cars/traffic. Case in point a picture of "The Street" Noir mode below.

BWV0m0MCMAAHEhy.jpg

and color...

52nd_Street_1146x700.jpg

It was one of the Jazz hotspots of Manhattan. 

• Like 2

Unusual choice for this week's NOIR ALLEY  entry....the program guide has it coded pink and listed as A ROMANCE...

12:30 AM
Closed
Captions
romance

Synopsis: A con artist falls for the rich widow he's trying to fleece.
DirJean Negulesco CastJohn Garfield , Geraldine Fitzgerald , Walter Brennan .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Jean Negulesco. John Garfield, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Walter Brennan, Faye Emerson, George Coulouris, George Tobias. Well-done but familiar yarn of con man Garfield fleecing rich widow Fitzgerald, then falling in love for real.

if JEAN NEGULESCO directed it, one thing is a given: it's gonna be a great looking film.

He was an ACE visualist.

I'm unsure if I've seen this or not.

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Common sense says that if you go to Hoboken, NJ on a street called River Street you would try to get the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline in the background of the action or why the hell go, no?

Most of the studio set NYC noirs have establishing shots but then go right to the backlots. A native New Yorker can tell the diff. As soon as they started more and more on location shooting (Naked City, Crime Wave for Los Angeles etc., etc.) going back to the backlot sets looked more and more fake-ish. Pickup on South Street did a great job of recreating the city without ever being there, but take a look at 60s noir The Money Trap (1965) where they do live location shooting but use a studio NYC set for a downtown LA location and it's obvious that it isn't, it's a visually jarring experience.

I always say where the f are the cars/traffic. Case in point a picture of "The Street" Noir mode below.

BWV0m0MCMAAHEhy.jpg

and color...

52nd_Street_1146x700.jpg

It was one of the Jazz hotspots of Manhattan. 

You can always tell a studio street from the real thing by the lack of traffic....

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Unusual choice for this week's NOIR ALLEY  entry....the program guide has it coded pink and listed as A ROMANCE...

Closed
Captions
romance

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Jean Negulesco. John Garfield, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Walter Brennan, Faye Emerson, George Coulouris, George Tobias. Well-done but familiar yarn of con man Garfield fleecing rich widow Fitzgerald, then falling in love for real.

I'm a big fan of Nobody Lives Forever;  All the actors are solid and the film is nicely paced.

The scene at the San Juan mission was memorable to me since that mission is 10 miles from where I live.   Also the beach scenes were filmed in my area.   

This is a good leading role for Fitzgerald (who often was cast as a secondary female 'lead' or supporting): she provides the right balance between being a sap and an intelligent women that knows she being taken for a ride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LOL. Tell me. I'm lucky if I can remember what I did yesterday........

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Tell me. I'm lucky if I can remember what I did yesterday........

Elves have started hiding my things more often.

• Haha 1

I remember seeing it but it was a bit off as far as Noirs for me anyway, probably because of the over emphasis on the romance. 

14 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I remember seeing it but it was a bit off as far as Noirs for me anyway, probably because of the over emphasis on the romance. 

Yea,  Nobody Lives Forever is missing some key noir 'criteria',   but it does have some standard noir themes like the returning Vet.      Brennan plays a tragic noir character in the film.   I find his role to be the most compelling.    The title of the film is based on him.

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

And if you go to Petersburg, Va. you'll bump right into the Appomattox river. So I'm

not surprised that some of the river scenes could have been filmed there. Petersburg,

Va. was also the hometown of Joseph Cotten. Not too hard to notice his soft southern

accent.

10 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  Nobody Lives Forever is missing some key noir 'criteria',   but it does have some standard noir themes like the returning Vet.      Brennan plays a tragic noir character in the film.   I find his role to be the most compelling.    The title of the film [Nobody Lives Forever] is based on him.

Then isn't it funny that Walter Brennan ALREADY looked like he had "lived forever" when he was still in his thirties???

(...well, I thought it was funny, anyway...in an "ironic" sort of way, of course) ;) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Then isn't it funny that Walter Brennan ALREADY looked like he had "lived forever" when he was still in his thirties???

(...well, I thought it was funny, anyway...in an "ironic" sort of way, of course) ;) 

My wife and I often comment that Brennan and some other actors were born old.

• Like 1

I'll have to watch Nobody Lives Forever just to see how Eddie describes it as Noir vs. TCM Schedule showing it as "Romance."  Haven't seen it and appears to have some good actors from the period in it and a decent plot.  I looked up the IMDb summary of the story and list of actors.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Closed
Captions
romance

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

Well, once again a TCM film scheduled to air in the States will not be available for Canadian viewers. Instead of Nobody Lives Forever, we'll have Between Two Worlds. I guess the programmers thought, since it too has John Garfield in the cast (although he's not the lead), that was a close-enough substitute.

I know I vent about this ad nauseum, and you're probably all heartily sick of my whingeing. But every time it happens (and it happens frequently), I experience frustration, disappointment, and annoyance about the stupid "rights" thing all over again. And I fear the "rights" snarl will never be untangled, but will just get worse over time. That's what seems to be happening (I say this because there are movies that were aired on TCM a few years ago that I got to see here in Canada, but now those same movies are blocked. Go figure...)

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, once again a TCM film scheduled to air in the States will not be available for Canadian viewers. Instead of Nobody Lives Forever, we'll have Between Two Worlds. I guess the programmers thought, since it too has John Garfield in the cast (although he's not the lead), that was a close-enough substitute.

I know I vent about this ad nauseum, and you're probably all heartily sick of my whingeing. But every time it happens (and it happens frequently), I experience frustration, disappointment, and annoyance about the stupid "rights" thing all over again. And I fear the "rights" snarl will never be untangled, but will just get worse over time. That's what seems to be happening (I say this because there are movies that were aired on TCM a few years ago that I got to see here in Canada, but now those same movies are blocked. Go figure...)

Sorry...

if I get the chance to see it, I’ll say it sucks even if I like it....

• Haha 3

On 4/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Closed
Captions
romance

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

I'm looking forward to this one.  I am a big fan of John Garfield.  I also like Jean Negulesco's films. I'm behind on the Noir Alley series.  I probably have at least a half a dozen of them recorded that I haven't watched yet.

On my SLING TV Program Guide it said I was getting BETWEEN TWO WORLDS here in the states.  (There are so many of the same people in the cast.)  I ended up with NOBODY LIVES FOREVER.  My only disappointment in that regard is that I was looking forward to seeing Sydney Greenstreet. 

I really enjoyed NOBODY LIVES FOREVER.  I admit that it did lack a bit of edge, but I enjoyed it.  Even when we were told Doc Ganson was menacing it didn't seem to hold much water because he seemed pretty pathetic.  I guess that is actually a touch of realism.  I agree the cast was stellar. 

Most shocking thing I learned from Muller is that I never put two and two together that Geraldine Fitzgerald was Mrs. Monahan in EASY MONEY (1983).  I loved her in THREE STRANGERS (1946) and this film, but it never dawned on me that she was in EASY MONEY until Muller said it.  WOW.  Eddie said she hurt her career by passing on jobs she didn't want to do, so what about EASY MONEY sparked her interest?  Don't get me wrong I love EASY MONEY, but what about it caught the fancy of a successful serious actress?   Sadly the answer is probably just the pay check, but I am going to try to imagine a more entertaining reason like she was Rodney Dangerfield's biggest fan.

44 minutes ago, Looney said:

On my SLING TV Program Guide it said I was getting BETWEEN TWO WORLDS here in the states.

Same here but it was the right film Nobody Lives Forever

Somewhat off topic here and I apologize, but my favorite Geraldine Fitzgerald performance is on the excellent Mother’s Day episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS Where each of the girls reminisces about an important Mother’s Day from their past.

She plays a lady who Rose remembers meeting at the bus station on her way to Saint Olaf.

”lovely town...Full of idiots. Oh no offense Dearie, it just seems as if, per capita, they have more than their share....”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Somewhat off topic here and I apologize, but my favorite Geraldine Fitzgerald performance is on the excellent Mother’s Day episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS Where each of the girls reminisces about an important Mother’s Day from their past.

She plays a lady who Rose remembers meeting at the bus station on her way to Saint Olaf.

”lovely town...Full of idiots. Oh no offense Dearie, it just seems as if, per capita, they have more than their share....”

Geraldine Fitzgerald also plays Sophia's friend Martha, who wants to commit suicide and wants Sophia to be with her while she takes her lethal dosage of medication.