Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

4,955 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Looney said:

On my SLING TV Program Guide it said I was getting BETWEEN TWO WORLDS here in the states.  (There are so many of the same people in the cast.)  I ended up with NOBODY LIVES FOREVER.  My only disappointment in that regard is that I was looking forward to seeing Sydney Greenstreet. 

I really enjoyed NOBODY LIVES FOREVER.  I admit that it did lack a bit of edge, but I enjoyed it.  Even when we were told Doc Ganson was menacing it didn't seem to hold much water because he seemed pretty pathetic.  I guess that is actually a touch of realism.  I agree the cast was stellar. 

Most shocking thing I learned from Muller is that I never put two and two together that Geraldine Fitzgerald was Mrs. Monahan in EASY MONEY (1983).  I loved her in THREE STRANGERS (1946) and this film, but it never dawned on me that she was in EASY MONEY until Muller said it.  WOW.  Eddie said she hurt her career by passing on jobs she didn't want to do, so what about EASY MONEY sparked her interest?  Don't get me wrong I love EASY MONEY, but what about it caught the fancy of a successful serious actress?   Sadly the answer is probably just the pay check, but I am going to try to imagine a more entertaining reason like she was Rodney Dangerfield's biggest fan.

My Dish guide showed Between Two Worlds as well, which was weird because I had set Nobody Lives Forever up to record.  I checked my set timers and Nobody Lives Forever was listed.  I'm glad the correct film was shown--that was the one I was looking forward to.  I really like John Garfield and try to record each of his films that TCM airs.

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Geraldine Fitzgerald also plays Sophia's friend Martha, who wants to commit suicide and wants Sophia to be with her while she takes her lethal dosage of medication. 

Yes. NOT ANOTHER MONDAY.

A real downer of an episode. Not as bad as BROTHER CAN YOU SPARE THAT JACKET? But close.

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes. NOT ANOTHER MONDAY.

A real downer of an episode. Not as bad as BROTHER CAN UOU SPSRE THAT JACKET? But close.

That episode was depressing, I agree. The part of that episode I do like is the subplot with Blanche, Rose and Dorothy caring for the newborn.  I like when they serenade the baby with The Chordettes' "Mr. Sandman." 

BLANCHE AND ROSE (SINGING): "Mr. Sandman..."
DOROTHY as MR. SANDMAN: Yessss

I also agree with the "Brother Can You Spare That Jacket" episode.  It seems that many of the Golden Girls' "Very Special" episodes were downers--like the episode when Sophia befriends the man suffering from Alzheimers.  One of the "special" episodes that is funny is the two-part episode where Dorothy is diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome.  Dorothy's storyline is not full of laughs, but in this episode we are treated to Blanche and her dream to become a "great Southern writer."  Hilarious. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  Nobody Lives Forever is missing some key noir 'criteria',   but it does have some standard noir themes like the returning Vet.      Brennan plays a tragic noir character in the film.   I find his role to be the most compelling.    The title of the film is based on him.

About a quarter way through Nobody Lives Forever, I remembered catching it a few years back on TCM. And then in the final scene where Brennan buys the farm on the dock landing, I then was also reminded of how he pretty much needlessly died.

C'mon now. I'll never understand how after Brennan gets the drop on Coulouris and shots him ONCE, he then would allow Coulouris to SLOWLY whip around, and I DO mean slowly, and then plug Brennan with a few shots of his own?

See, now BOGIE did this kind'a thing RIGHT in Key Largo, and when after plugging Eddie G. the first time on that boat, and then just before Eddie G. tries to get a couple of shots back at him, Bogie fires off a couple more rounds at him and finished Eddie G. off!

(...okay okay, yeah yeah I know..."it was just a movie", huh!) ;)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

About a quarter way through Nobody Lives Forever, I remembered catching it a few years back on TCM. And then in the final scene where Brennan buys the farm on the dock landing, I then was also reminded of how he pretty much needlessly died.

C'mon now. I'll never understand how after Brennan gets the drop on Coulouris and shots him ONCE, he then would allow Coulouris to SLOWLY whip around, and I DO mean slowly, and then plug Brennan with a few shots?

See, now BOGIE did this kind'a thing RIGHT in Key Largo, and when after plugging Eddie G. the first time on that boat, and then just before Eddie G. tries to get a couple of shots back at him, Bogie fires off a couple more rounds at him and finished Eddie G. off!

(...okay okay, yeah yeah I know..."it was just a movie", huh!) ;)

Yea this go round I actually made it all the way to the end where it did get visually noir-er. Other than Garfield, George Tobias and Richard Erdman practically the whole cast was pretty noir-lite. Agree with your observations above Dargo. 

I thought the flick was OK.  I always liked that bemused "I know something you don't" little grin Garfield often displays in a lot of his movies.  But too, what I liked about this one was that some of my favorite character actors, who too, get stuck usually doing similar characters in most of the movies they do, got some meatier personalities to do.  Like GEORGE TOBIAS, who we usually see being the goofy "good buddy" type, as in SERGEANT YORK, is too a "good buddy" in this, but a bit darker than we're used to.  Same for Brennan, who usually gets the "lovable coot" roles, and his ROY BEAN was the only other dark character I've seen him do.  COULOURIS too, is one I usually catch portraying more benign characters.  An aside.......

Whenever George Tobias would show up in some movie, I'd kid my wife by askingif he was some uncle, cousin or other relation.  :D  See, her Mexican Mother's maiden name was also TOBIAS.  ;)  I've also met a few of her Mother's surviving siblings down in LAREDO, TEXAS back in '91, and NONE of them resembled George!  :o  :lol:

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

and his ROY BEAN was the only other dark character I've seen him do.

Check out My Darling Clementine for a another dark Brennan character.

• Like 1

I had seen Nobody Lives Forever some years ago, but had forgotten it.  A couple of the dining scenes seemed familiar and then the scenes on the dock confirmed it.  It was OK, but not impressive.

Not sure, but according to listings, the 10 AM Sunday showing was actually In a Lonely Place.  Didn't check to see if that actually was the Noir Alley on Sunday.

Yeah, overall, not very impressive. Glad I caught it, but not something I'd watch again. Borderline noir. Took a long time for the plot to kick in. (Fitzgerald).

On 4/12/2019 at 3:45 PM, cigarjoe said:

I remember seeing it but it was a bit off as far as Noirs for me anyway, probably because of the over emphasis on the romance. 

Agree.

34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, overall, not very impressive. Glad I caught it, but not something I'd watch again. Borderline noir. Took a long time for the plot to kick in. (Fitzgerald).

Yeah I noticed it took a long time for Fitzgerald to show up.

I couldn't recall if I had seen this one before or not. It looked familiar but I wasn't sure until

the Walter Brennan character showed up. How can one forget a guy who charges a dime to

look through his telescope (while he tries to pick your pocket). To me it's more of a grifter

film than a noir. I got a kick out of the golf mad adviser to Fitzgerald, but those crummy

suits that Coulouris wears. Yikes. Whatever one wants to call it, pretty engaging though

not top drawer. Never eat at a place called Mom's, engage in a bs showdown with a guy

named Pop, or go into a con with a man called Doc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a reminder that this coming Thursday April 18th the TCM daytime theme is Film Noir. 

The lineup for U.S. viewers is:

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)   (Noir Alley selection on 10-29-2017)
    Impact (1949)
    Confidential Report (1955)
    Detour (1945)   (Noir Alley selection on 3-12-2017)
    Suddenly (1954)   (Noir Alley selection on 4-8-2018)
    Hollow Triumph (1948)   (Noir Alley selection 4-29-2018)
    The Hitch-Hiker (1953)   (scheduled for Noir Alley on 11-16-2019)
    Gilda (1946)

Sorry but in Canada the film Confidential Report (1955) is being swapped out for The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941), per the daily schedule on the web.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry but in Canada the film Confidential Report (1955) is being swapped out for The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941), per the daily schedule on the web.

They're basically the same movie, anyway...:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Just a reminder that this coming Thursday April 18th the TCM daytime theme is Film Noir. 

The lineup for U.S. viewers is:

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)   (Noir Alley selection on 10-29-2017)
    Impact (1949)
    Confidential Report (1955)
    Detour (1945)   (Noir Alley selection on 3-12-2017)
    Suddenly (1954)   (Noir Alley selection on 4-8-2018)
    Hollow Triumph (1948)   (Noir Alley selection 4-29-2018)
    The Hitch-Hiker (1953)   (scheduled for Noir Alley on 11-16-2019)
    Gilda (1946)

Thanks. I dont think I've seen Impact. I'll record that.

Just now, cigarjoe said:

Don't think I've seen Confidential Report (1955)

I've seen the alternate cut with the title Mr. Arkadin. It's kind of a mess, but if you like Orson Welles' later stuff, this has some interesting moments.

220px-Poster3_Orson_Welles_Mr._Arkadin_C

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've seen the alternate cut with the title Mr. Arkadin. It's kind of a mess, but if you like Orson Welles' later stuff, this has some interesting moments.

220px-Poster3_Orson_Welles_Mr._Arkadin_C

Oh I've seen Mr Arkadin didn't realize they were the same film.

22 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I've seen that one many times, but never thought Brennan's role as that "dark" in it.

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've seen that one many times, but never thought Brennan's role as that "dark" in it.

His intro is especially dark and foreboding. 

On 4/15/2019 at 7:31 AM, cigarjoe said:

Yeah I think that was probably the first film I ever saw Brennan not just playing an "loveable coot".  I was surprised.

Back to NOBODY LIVES FOREVER.  Love that Erdman was in this because it was one I'd never seen and I was just thinking that I needed to see more of his work.  This was a good one to see despite his limited screen time.

So here's the real question.  How was the telescope con a regular job?!  Are we supposed to assume he moved it around to different areas because he had to get caught all of the time?  There was a big meandering crowd around and someone would report seeing a guy pick a drunk's pocket in 1946. It wasn't just all people moving by.  They were more of a loitering crowd so people would have been watching the drunk stumble around.  Some people had to have seen what was going on because a stumbling drunk often attracts attention.  :lol:

And seriously, Thursday is my day off and I already have plans!!!!!  Have TCM move the Noir schedule to Sunday.  :D

Woman on the Run April 20 at midnight is fairly good.  Have it on a multi-movie DVD and the quality is not so good.  Hopefully TCM has a better version.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Woman on the Run April 20 at midnight is fairly good.  Have it on a multi-movie DVD and the quality is not so good.  Hopefully TCM has a better version.

TCM has the restored U.C.L.A. version and this version was a premier when TCM ran Summer of Darkness a few years back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to be late to the party on this one.  Both times I went to watch it my internet went out and cut me off of Sling TV.  This morning I was right in the middle of Eddie's Intro when it happened.

:angry:  Way to go TECHNOLOGY!!!!!  :angry:

:rolleyes:

• Sad 1