Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

4,981 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've read his taking a job in HOLLYWOOD was a way for him to literally avoid being questioned because he was an associate of Michael Collins.

When I learned George was Irish, it made me understand the kind of flat stilted quality that's in his voice sometimes; I imagine it's awfully hard to hide a Brogue, but George did well.

Yes, he did a good job of hiding it.

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, he did a good job of hiding it.

He really did. I was STUNNED when I learned it.

You would occasionally hear a hint of it. Must've taken some work!

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The above, and always a similar sounding sleazy saxophone or horn jazz leitmotif for a sexy woman. 

Yep CJ, or a slide whistle making a wolf whistle sound, sometimes.

(...like in D.O.A. when Edmund O'Brien takes a second look at the sexy blonde who walks past him as he checks into the San Francisco hotel)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've read his taking a job in HOLLYWOOD was a way for him to literally avoid being questioned because he was an associate of Michael Collins.

When I learned George was Irish, it made me understand the kind of flat stilted quality that's in his voice sometimes; I imagine it's awfully hard to hide a Brogue, but George did well.

Some sources say he got out of Ireland because the Brits were after him. Don't know if

that's true or not. Georgie spent a number of his adolescent years in the U.S., so maybe

that weakened his Irish brogue. On first hearing he was involved with the IRA I was surprised

as his screen persona was often on the bland side.

WOW!!!!!  NIGHTMARE ALLEY really generated a lot of reaction.  So many tangents I could go off on, but I think I'll stick with these two. 

I am so glad this has become a topic of conversation.  Seriously, how did the idea of a "geek" come into play in the real world?  It had to be a bet or something?  Talk about desperate cries for attention.  And how did this title befall so many youths of a certain nature in the times since these "artists" worked their magic? (That is assuming there are no longer Geek Shows - you know someone is trying to bring them back.)  ;)  And for all of you Geek enthusiasts I suggest the horror movie LUTHER THE GEEK (1989).  It is terrible...fun.  :D

The second item I would go back to is the marriage.  It definitely appeared to be an attempt to punish both of them more than some strict adherence to some Gypsy rule. ;)

Anyway, what a great movie.  It truly is a remarkable how the story illustrates how Stan treats people he sees as inferior to him, including Molly and Zeena, but then allows himself to be dominated by Lilith.  He captivates people and then allows himself to be captivated.  Is it a testament to Lilith or to his own vanity that he thinks he can't be taken so he lets his guard down?  I mean she is awesome, but as people have discussed the professional doesn't let someone else hold the money.

And back to what I said earlier about the soft ending.  I should have explained more.  Stan didn't deserve the soft ending and, as someone pointed out, MOLLY ends up with the hard ending.  One of the first things I thought is how this is a place Zeena and Pete had been.  So the cycle continues.

Oops!  More than two tangents. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've never been to any carnies in the sticks but I do recall when Toronto's CNE had fat lady setups as part of its mid way, which is primarily comprised of games and rides. No geeks, though.

I recall a large tacky sign with a painting of a woman who transformed into a gorilla. It looked like fun so I went into a large tent with a friend of mine. There was a fair collection of yokels there, err, I mean ticket buyers like us.

Anyway there was a cage on a platform with a woman inside it. Some guy gave us a brief spiel and the lights in the tent went out. When the lights came on again, sure enough, there was an ape in the cage who pressed wide open the bars and leaped down from the platform running amuck in the screaming crowd which started to run from the tent.

Being the manly sort I grabbed my friend, Michele, and held her firmly in front of me so the gorilla would get her first. But Michele was fearless. She just kept laughing.

The gorilla then turned and started to exit the tent off to the side and, as she did so, Michele said, "Look, Tom, the gorilla has adidas." I checked her feet and, sure enough, the ape was wearing better shoes than me.

It was sunny outside as we watched the dark outline of the gorilla through the canvas tent. The ape started climbing some stairs at the back of the tent which was taking her back to the cage on the platform. At the last moment as we watched the outline of the ape we saw it reach up and remove the gorilla head.

At that moment I started to get cynical about the legitimacy of what we had just witnessed.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Looney said:

WOW!!!!!  NIGHTMARE ALLEY really generated a lot of reaction.   ;)  And for all of you Geek enthusiasts I suggest the horror movie LUTHER THE GEEK (1989).  It is terrible...fun.  :D

When I did my google image search for VINTAGE CARNIVAL GEEK POSTERS, my results came up with mostly posters for this movie you mention.

There's not a single one I feel comfortable posting here. Man, that dude has some UNFORTUNATE ORTHODONTIA.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I've never been to any carnies in the sticks but I do recall when Toronto's CNE had fat lady setups as part of its mid way, which is primarily comprised of games and rides. No geeks, though.

I recall a large tacky sign with a painting of a woman who transformed into a gorilla. It looked like fun so I went into a large tent with a friend of mine. There was a fair collection of yokels there, err, I mean ticket buyers like us.

Anyway there was a cage on a platform with a woman inside it. Some guy gave us a brief spiel and the lights in the tent went out. When the lights came on again, sure enough, there was an ape in the cage who pressed wide open the bars and leaped down from the platform running amuck in the screaming crowd which started to run from the tent.

Being the manly sort I grabbed my friend, Michele, and held her firmly in front of me so the gorilla would get her first. But Michele was fearless. She just kept laughing.

The gorilla then turned and started to exit the tent off to the side and, as she did so, Michele said, "Look, Tom, the gorilla has adidas." I checked her feet and, sure enough, the ape was wearing better shoes than me.

It was sunny outside as we watched the dark outline of the gorilla through the canvas tent. The ape started climbing some stairs at the back of the tent which was taking her back to the cage on the platform. At the last moment as we watched the outline of the ape we saw it reach up and remove the gorilla head.

At that moment I started to get cynical about the legitimacy of what we had just witnessed.

LOL. Only then???

I rewatched the second half of NIGHTMARE ALLEY this morning,

MAN, the set of the garden on the grounds of the old woman's estate is AMAZING! Like, one of the most impressive exterior sets crafted on a soundstage from the Golden Age...The grove of trees and the stone steps and the bushes and trees, also the way it was lit- very memorable.

th?id=OIP.hfDjskcSDEwJLZ7PfE7L6wHaFm&pid

• Like 1

20 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Yes! What you said about Ty's sexual charisma. It's more than his handsomeness (George Brent was handsome, and he's about as sexy as a glass of skim milk... sorry, Hibi !)

And anyone agree that in Nightmare Alley, Ty looks even sexier in that white tee shirt than when he's in a suit?

Ty in a suit:

Image result for tyrone power nightmare alley

Ty in a tee shirt  (!)

Image result for tyrone power nightmare alley

Oh baby !

Tyrone Power would look great in a potato sack!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Only then???

I never claimed I was the brightest fellow around.

ME BEFORE COFFEE:

nightmare-alley-fall-of-the-geek.jpg

"[frankenstein grunt] WHO DRINK LAST OF HALF AND HALF????"

ME AFTER COFFEE:

th?id=OIP.b5juGgVowyZqf_qfcUWkGgHaFi&pid

"it's okay, I found some heavy whipping cream in the fridge..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ME BEFORE COFFEE:

nightmare-alley-fall-of-the-geek.jpg

"[frankenstein grunt] WHO DRINK LAST OF HALF AND HALF????"

ME AFTER COFFEE:

th?id=OIP.b5juGgVowyZqf_qfcUWkGgHaFi&pid

"it's okay, I found some heavy whipping cream in the fridge..."

LOL! I'm not a morning person either.............

So why did the Production Code allow Lilith to get away with it?

28873389797_9b9eeb6ace_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Get away with what?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Get away with what?

All the money she and Stan bilked from the clients, including Ezra Grindle. Plus she set Stan up to be potentially locked up in a looney bin.

She's scott free at the end of the film to carry on with any other schemes that may enter her calculating mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

apologies if someone else has mentioned this, but LILITH was the name of a cold, manipulative female psychiatrist on CHEERS who looked like a ROBERT PALMER GIRL that managed somehow to avoid the contractual lobotomy.

She and DR FRASIER CRANE were married and divorced and she also showed up later on FRASIER. 

Wonder if the writers caught NIGHTMARE ALLEY on the midnight movie around the time of her character's inception...

tumblr_onetjq9xyY1ufo0f7o1_500.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

apologies if someone else has mentioned this, but LILITH was the name of a cold, manipulative female psychiatrist on CHEERS who looked like a ROBERT PALMER GIRL who managed somehow to avoid the standard lobotomy.

She and DR FRASIER CRANE were married and divorced and she also showed up later on FRASIER. 

Wonder if the writers caught NIGHTMARE ALLEY on the midnight movie around the time of her character's inception...

That's right! Bebe Neuwirth I think, played her.

30 minutes ago, TomJH said:

With all the other stuff going on in the movie, they probably didn't focus on it. It probably helped that she was a supporting character...

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

With all the other stuff going on in the movie, they probably didn't focus on it. It probably helped that she was a supporting character...

Lilith's a major supporting character who turns the entire tale upside down for the film's main protagonist. I find it difficult to believe that she could have been so overlooked. She is a genuine scoundrel who emerges unblemished at the film's end.

I find it remarkable that in that Production Code era of Hollywood filmmaking that Lilith paid no price. Am I alone in this feeling?

I'm sure there are other characters (supporting or 2nd leads) that never got their just desserts. It is interesting she was overlooked. Maybe there were scenes that were cut. Who knows?

57 minutes ago, Hibi said:

That's right! Bebe Neuwirth I think, played her.

Yup, And I remember she won at least one Emmy for best supporting actress in a sitcom, which was kind of a big deal because she was not a full cast member when she did.

(They made her one soon after)

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL! I'm not a morning person either.............

GOOD.

I neither trust nor like people who are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yup, And I remember she won at least one Emmy for best supporting actress in a sitcom, which was kind of a big deal because she was not a full cast member when she did.

(They made her one soon after)

She had a recurring role on Frazier. Maybe once a season or so.