Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

4,980 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I never claimed I was the brightest fellow around.

Nor evidently the bravest. ;)

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nor evidently the bravest. ;)

I watched Errol Flynn but I identified with Lou Costello.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

So why did the Production Code allow Lilith to get away with it?

28873389797_9b9eeb6ace_b.jpg

Probably because she's a doctor, a billionaire gets a way with a lot of stuff also.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I watched Errol Flynn but I identified with Lou Costello.

giphy.gif

;)

I was thinking of you in your gorilla carnival encounter story as more the Bob Hope type in many of his earlier cowardly comic film roles, but I'm still lovin' the Costello gif here, Tom.

10 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Probably because she's a doctor, a billionaire gets a way with a lot of stuff also.....

Smiling-Donald-Trump-Picture.jpg

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

;)

I was thinking of you in your gorilla carnival encounter story as more the Bob Hope type in many of his earlier cowardly comic film roles, but I'm still lovin' the Costello gif here, Tom.

Bob Hope? Yeh, that works too.

6750784637644571086.jpg

I had visions of the above and I wasn't taking any chances at that CNE show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Hmmm...then this kind'a makes ya wonder if Dr. Lilith Ritter got away with paying no federal income taxes for a whole decade TOO, doesn't it CJ?!!!

(...word is this sort'a thing is a real "sport"!)

;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm...then this kind'a makes ya wonder if Dr. Lilith Ritter got away with paying no federal income taxes for a whole decade TOO, doesn't it CJ?!!!

(...word is this sort'a thing is a real "sport"!)

;)

She probably made more money too...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

She probably made more money too...

LOL

Yep, she probably did alright.

In fact, in the now little remembered sequel to Nightmare Alley, I think I recall the Lilith character writing a bestseller titled...wait for it...

"The Art of Fleecing the Fleecers"

(...well, it was somethin' like that anyway, but like I said, the sequel to Nightmare Alley is now "little remembered", and evidently by me TOO!)

6 hours ago, TomJH said:

Poor posture? That's more a matter of taste. Maybe I misheard it, but I think that in the

movie someone mentioned that Lilith was not actually a licensed psychologist. She sure had

the lingo and the office furniture down pat.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Poor posture? That's more a matter of taste. Maybe I misheard it, but I think that in the

movie someone mentioned that Lilith was not actually a licensed psychologist. She sure had

the lingo and the office furniture down pat.

At the 59:10 minute mark, Carlisle (Power) says "You're not a regular M.D., are you", and Ritter (Walker) quickly relies "Of course not".

However, that wouldn't necessarily mean that she wasn't a licensed psychologist.

(...as most psychologists do not have a medical degree, and as psychiatrists are required to have) 

Btw, and regarding Helen Walker's Lilith Ritter character's relationship with Tyrone Power's Stan Carlisle in this film...

At one point while watching it play out last Saturday night, the thought of Lindsay Crouse's character who's a psychiatrist, and relationship with Joe Mantegna's conman character in 1987's House of Games came to mind.

(...anyone else have this fleeting thought also?)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

At the 59:10 minute mark, Carlisle (Power) says "You're not a regular M.D., are you", and Ritter (Walker) quickly relies "Of course not".

However, that wouldn't necessarily mean that she wasn't a licensed psychologist.

(...as most psychologists do not have a medical degree, and as psychiatrists are required to have) 

True, she wouldn't need a medical degree to be a psychologist. But there are so many scammers in

the movie, what's one more. And they probably weren't as vigilant back then as they are now when

it comes to professional credentials. 

20 hours ago, TomJH said:

So can anyone think of any other characters, aside from Lilith in Nightmare Alley, who got away with major crimes without any repercussions during the Production Code period of Hollywood filmmaking?

(No wonder she looks so confident as she sits there). ;)

• Thanks 1

Well there are a few that resolve their stories with the "it was all a dream" ending skirting it that way, example, Edward G. Robinson in The Woman In The Window.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Well there are a few that resolve their stories with the "it was all a dream" ending skirting it that way, example, Edward G. Robinson in The Woman In The Window.

Fair enough, cigarjoe, though it's a cop out device by the screen writer. But that's why the Production Code would have accepted it, because it's not "real," it's just a dream.

That Lilith, though, just gets away with fleecing people of tons of money, slipping right past the Production Code in the process. That's significantly different.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Fair enough, cigarjoe, though it's a cop out device by the screen writer. But that's why the Production Code would have accepted it, because it's not "real," it's just a dream.

That Lilith, though, just gets away with fleecing people of tons of money, slipping right past the Production Code in the process. That's significantly different.

Nothing happens, if I remember right, to the thugs that beat up Robert Ryan in The Set Up.

13 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Nothing happens, if I remember right, to the thugs that beat up Robert Ryan in The Set Up.

You're right. They take off and Ryan is left staggering in the street, with Audrey Totter coming in to hold his head.

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

True. Though I found that ending unsatisfying....

On 5/9/2019 at 7:36 AM, Janet0312 said:

Tyrone Power would look great in a potato sack!

Better than this !!!

b4Pr6Un.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

True. Though I found that ending (to WOMAN IN THE WINDOW) unsatisfying....

You and everyone else who’s ever seen it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TomJH said:

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

whiteheat_redhotbuzzsaw_FC_HD_2997_WithC

TomJH just wondering if you've finished Nightmare Alley the novel yet?

33 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

TomJH just wondering if you've finished Nightmare Alley the novel yet?

I'm half through.

1 minute ago, TomJH said:

I'm half through.

I read it a few years ago and interested in your thoughts about it.