Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

4,610 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2019 at 8:16 AM, cigarjoe said:

Your loss pilgrim.

I'm sure you like Night and the City (1950) with Widmark, Tierney, Hugh Marlowe, Googie Withers, Francis L. Sullivan and Herbert Lom. If you do its sort of a gateway Noir to other British Noirs along with Terror on a Train (1953) with Glen Ford.

You probably haven't see the right ones. I Became a Criminal (1947) with Trevor Howard is excellent. The Long Memory (1953) with John Mills, Brighton Rock (1948) with  Richard Attenborough, Pool Of London with Bonar Colleano, Earl Cameron, For Them That Trespass (1949) with Stephen Murray and Richard Todd, are also good. Another great one is Never Let Go (1960) with Peter Sellers and Richard Todd.

But there are plenty others that we never see. The Blue Lamp (1950) is one that is highly thought of, but I've never seen it.

I'm also a fan of Night and the City, They Made Me a Criminal, The Long Memory, and Brighton Rock, and would be interested in seeing the others you mention. I'd love to see more French noirs, too. I've seen a few that are terrific. TCM has shown the Spanish classic Death of a Cyclist, which I also liked a lot.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 11:16 AM, cigarjoe said:

Your loss pilgrim.

I'm sure you like Night and the City (1950) with Widmark, Tierney, Hugh Marlowe, Googie Withers, Francis L. Sullivan and Herbert Lom. If you do its sort of a gateway Noir to other British Noirs along with Terror on a Train (1953) with Glen Ford.

You probably haven't see the right ones. I Became a Criminal (1947) with Trevor Howard is excellent. The Long Memory (1953) with John Mills, Brighton Rock (1948) with  Richard Attenborough, Pool Of London with Bonar Colleano, Earl Cameron, For Them That Trespass (1949) with Stephen Murray and Richard Todd, are also good. Another great one is Never Let Go (1960) with Peter Sellers and Richard Todd.

But there are plenty others that we never see. The Blue Lamp (1950) is one that is highly thought of, but I've never seen it.

I saw The Blue Lamp several years ago, when TCM aired it. I remember it as procedural-like, dealing with a different type of post-war criminal, as opposed to say, organized crime types.  And yes, it's a fine piece of film making.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

 

LOL. I hadn't noticed Barbara Billingsley  until the final credits! I couldn't stand the Gigi character so I was rooting for Ann to succeed, the first time I saw it. Definitely not a classic, but worth seeing once.

 

Unless I missed something on a brief snack run, she was only in one scene for maybe a

minute, so I'm not surprised she would be missed. I don't know, I didn't think the kid

was more annoying than the average movie kid. And she sure could scream. That "water

bed" that she was trussed in, apparently for the whole night, didn't look too

comfortable. I think Ann could have used the 'the gun just went off' defense. She had

it in her pocket and could have claimed she just didn't realize what  was going to 

happen. I forgot to mention one of my favorite Hitchcock villains, Tom Helmore, who

played the cad, though not a murderous one as he did in Vertigo. I would put SOTW in

C+/B- territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

LOL. I hadn't noticed Barbara Billingsley  until the final credits! I couldn't stand the Gigi character so I was rooting for Ann to succeed, the first time I saw it. Definitely not a classic, but worth seeing once.

 

Unless I missed something on a brief snack run, she was only in one scene for maybe a minute, so

I'm not surprised she would be missed. I don't know, I didn't think the kid was more annoying than

the average movie kid. And she sure could scream. That "water bed" that she was trussed in, apparently

for the whole night, didn't look too comfortable. I think Ann could have used the 'the gun just went

off' defense. She had it in her pocket and could have claimed she just didn't realize what was going to

happen. I forgot to mention one of my favorite Hitchcock villains, Tom Helmore, who played the cad,

though not a murderous one as he did in Vertigo. I would put SOTW in C+/B- territory.

Yeah, true. Just an average programmer with a few good moments. Agree no worse than the average annoying movie tyke, but the screaming got on my nerves! Helmore came and went rather quickly. The plot/script in the beginning was rather choppy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, true. Just an average programmer with a few good moments. Agree no worse than the average annoying movie tyke, but the screaming got on my nerves! Helmore came and went rather quickly. The plot/script in the beginning was rather choppy.

My, what a big, gaping, teeth less mouth you have. And then ol' Gigi lets it rip. Once the

wife was killed, there was no need for Helmore anymore, though he might have been

involved in some type of blackmail plot. But I figured his character was the type just to

move on to the next dame.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Maybe. But I found her just ok looking. Not someone I'd look twice at on the street...

Oh yeah. I see women who look like Kristine here...

KristineMiller.jpg

...OR here and all glammed-up...

Publicity_shot_of_Kristine_Miller_for_I_

...walkin' down the streets of Sedona Arizona ALL the time! Happens everyday, in fact!

Well okay. Seein' as how the demographics of Sedona are pretty much shewed to the retired set, they're usually a heck of lot OLDER than Kristine is here, but SURE like I said, I see women who look as beautiful as her walkin' down the streets OR for that matter hiking along all the beautiful scenic trails of Sedona ALL the time and thus never give ANY of 'em a "second look"!!!

NOT!

(...or at least not whenever the WIFE is with me anyway!) ;)

LOL

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there all glammed up I might take notice. But in the 2 movie roles I've seen her in, she just looked ordinary. Not that she was ugly, but just an average looking person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, there all glammed up I might take notice. But in the 2 movie roles I've seen her in, she just looked ordinary. Not that she was ugly, but just an average looking person.

THIS is an average looking woman?

300px-Kristine_Miller_in_Jungle_Patrol_(

I gotta start hanging out in your neighbourhood, Hibi.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, being attracted to men, she doesn't do anything for me. She isn't unattractive, but I doubt I'd take any notice of her than a passing glance. Sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

THIS is an average looking woman?

300px-Kristine_Miller_in_Jungle_Patrol_(

I gotta start hanging out in your neighbourhood, Hibi.

LOL

Don't forget here Tom that according to her profile, Hibi lives in Ohio.

(...and so you'd have to start hangin' out in her neighborhood) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might notice her for her 40s hairstyle. LOL.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Don't forget here Tom that according to her profile, Hibi lives in Ohio.

(...and so you'd have to start hangin' out in her neighborhood) ;)

Should you happen to meet a Kristine Miller lookalike down Sedona way some time, Dargo, I certainly hope you don't try to "dazzle" her by telling her, "Hey, I caught another Canadian spelling a word with a superfluous U." ;)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Should you happen to meet a Kristine Miller lookalike down Sedona way some time, Dargo, I certainly hope you don't try to "dazzle" her by telling her, "Hey, I caught another Canadian spelling a word with a superfluous U." ;)

LOL

Well, like I said earlier Tom, I certainly wouldn't try "dazzling" other women if my WIFE were around!

(...and be it by the means of poking fun at you superfluous 'u' users or NOT!!!) ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Well, like I said earlier Tom, I certainly wouldn't try "dazzling" other women if my WIFE were around!

(...and be it by the means of poking fun at you superfluous 'u' users or NOT!!!) ;)

 

You mean:

th?id=OIP.G7zvvR-JIObwTMRMM0XWwAHaEo%26p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I recorded the end to see if they ran the right wraparound. They did! Very strange to see the beginning run twice on Sat. night. I was half expecting them to run the movie a second time!

This has definitely happened over the years. Some variants include dropping the wrap-up if the following film is different from the one previously scheduled or quickly going to black for the same reason. Once they ran a wrap-up for a film that was airing again later in the month. Dave Karger had two different sets of clothes!

Selected shorts and cartoons airing will often, but not always, get just an intro.

I've been recording and archiving the intros and wrap-ups for at least 12 years now. I've missed a few, skipped a few early on but have recorded more of them than not. Simply because once aired they may disappear forever. At the TCM Festival a couple of years back it was said that they haven't all been saved.

It's always interesting to me when something goes awry. I figure someone just pushes the wrong button.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

You mean:

th?id=OIP.G7zvvR-JIObwTMRMM0XWwAHaEo%26p

Oh ewe kidder, M.R.! ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen dropped wraparounds at the end. But this was the first time. I'd seen the beginning repeated at the end!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh yeah. I see women who look like Kristine here.

...walkin' down the streets of Sedona Arizona ALL the time! Happens everyday, in fact!

Well okay. Seein' as how the demographics of Sedona are pretty much shewed to the retired set, they're usually a heck of lot OLDER than Kristine is here, but SURE like I said, I see women who look as beautiful as her walkin' down the streets OR for that matter hiking along all the beautiful scenic trails of Sedona ALL the time and thus never give ANY of 'em a "second look"!!!

NOT!

(...or at least not whenever the WIFE is with me anyway!) ;)

LOL

16 hours ago, TomJH said:

Should you happen to meet a Kristine Miller lookalike down Sedona way some time, Dargo, I certainly hope you don't try to "dazzle" her by telling her, "Hey, I caught another Canadian spelling a word with a superfluous U." ;)

Hey guys, not to take anything away from my friend Hibi, but don't forget it was I who first commented here that Kristine Miller was "ordinary looking". Credit where credit is due !

Maybe, as Hibi and I have both mused, it's a "guy thing" when it comes to looks like Kristine's (that is, a hetero guy thing.)

I actually find it really interesting that one of the things that is most likely to get these boards humming is controversy over a star's (be they male or female) looks.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

I actually find it really interesting that one of the things that is most likely to get these boards humming is controversy over a star's (be they male or female) looks.

Yeah, well, that's the thing here regarding Kristine Miller's looks, MissW.

That as beautiful as she was (or at least according to all of us "heterosexual males" around here anyway  ;) ) she never actually attained "star status", and as was first noted by our friend Arteesto a few pages back.

(...and despite the fact that just from some of her performances in a few films I've now seen her in, such as SOTW and Too Late for Tears, she seemed to be a reasonably good actor, and I thought with more than a little "screen presence")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, some of us here don't find her beautiful, so chances are some back then didn't either.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, well, that's the thing here regarding Kristine Miller's looks, MissW.

That as beautiful as she was (or at least according to all of us "heterosexual males" around here anyway  ;) ) she never actually attained "star status", and as was first noted by our friend Arteesto a few pages back.

(...and despite the fact that just from some of her performances in a few films I've now seen her in, such as SOTW and Too Late for Tears, she seemed to be a reasonably good actor, and I thought with more than a little "screen presence")

Well I've now got to dive in;   Miller is indeed more attractive than your everyday American women,  but middle-of-the-pack as it relates to actresses.     I just don't see anything that stands out that pushes her to the beautiful league as defined by others of her era.    I just don't see the juice or anything that adds heat that goes beyond her looks (e.g. Gloria Grahame,  who while a very similar attractiveness level with Miller,  is much more sexual and 'hot' due to her persona).

As for Miller's acting:   In TLFT I also found her acting rather flat;  adequate but not more than that.   Take Dorothy Malone and her early supporting roles;   even when playing down her looks,  or in a bit part, Dorothy was able to add something that I just don't think Miller could create.

This to me explains Millers limited big screen presence as compared to other similar looking actresses of the era.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree. She doesn't bring "that little something extra" to the table that gets you into the big leagues. She was attractive enough (though not beautiful by Hollywood standards).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well I've now got to dive in;   Miller is indeed more attractive than your everyday American women,  but middle-of-the-pack as it relates to actresses.     I just don't see anything that stands out that pushes her to the beautiful league as defined by others of her era.    I just don't see the juice or anything that adds heat that goes beyond her looks (e.g. Gloria Grahame,  who while a very similar attractiveness level with Miller,  is much more sexual and 'hot' due to her persona).

As for Miller's acting:   In TLFT I also found her acting rather flat;  adequate but not more than that.   Take Dorothy Malone and her early supporting roles;   even when playing down her looks,  or in a bit part, Dorothy was able to add something that I just don't think Miller could create.

This to me explains Millers limited big screen presence as compared to other similar looking actresses of the era.

Good points I suppose, James.

But in my case, Gloria Grahame never did a thing for me. Good actress, but I always thought her a bit "strange looking".

(...and her lisp never did a thing for me either) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Good points I suppose, James.

But in my case, Gloria Grahame never did a thing for me. Good actress, but I always thought her a bit "strange looking".

(...and her lisp never did a thing for me either) ;)

Since the 4th of July is approaching:

Image result for gloria grahame

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I actually find it really interesting that one of the things that is most likely to get these boards humming is controversy over a star's (be they male or female) looks.

Not exactly surprising since shallow observations about the attractiveness (or not) of a particular actor or actress are easy to make and we all seem to have an opinion on the subject.

One of the things I like about Kristine Miller's classy good looks, by the way, is that she doesn't look like Gloria Grahame, a slightly odd looking woman I would never pay much attention to unless she splashed a pot of hot coffee in my face. Grahame was a fine actress, by the way, and I would hasten to tell her that before she hurled a hot pot of boiling joe at me.

The-Big-Heat-1953-3.jpg

"So you think I'm 'slightly odd looking?'"

"Well, yeh. But you are a good actress."

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us