Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

5,321 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

If I remember right, James Ellison and Lucy have a bit of a love-hate relationship going for much of the film.  Lucy plays an heiress who is engaged to a Count from another country.  Lucy's very patriotic, wealthy father dies and in his will says that she can only receive her inheritance if she marries an average American.  Lucy's plan is to find a stranger to marry, James Ellison, offer him $1000 to marry and divorce her, so she'll receive her inheritance and be free to marry her Count. 

Lucy then inadvertently steals Ellison's dog and he goes after her to get the dog back. At some point, Lucy and Ellison's story makes it to the media and they dub Ellison a "Cinderella Man."  Ellison, not wanting to be seen as some underdog, decides that he wants to be the one who divorces Lucy and not the other way around. Lucy and Ellison are then racing each other across country trying to get to Reno first. I think Lucy had driven off with Ellison's camper (I can't remember now, I'll have to re-watch the film) and he finds it and drives off with her inside.  She wants him to stop and tells him that she'll light the trailer on fire.  Even though I will agree, that it was stupid of her to do that, Ellison even says so, she thinks that he'll stop the trailer.  He calls her bluff and she does light it on fire.  I agree that his lack of urgency in putting out the fire is cruel, but I took it as his revenge for her intentionally burning his camper down. 

This isn't the best movie in the world, but I found it amusing enough. 

Actually, speedy, in spite of my dour criticism of that fire-in-the-trailer scene, I kind of want to see that movie now. (Next Time I Marry.)  You did me a favour in describing the plot, because sometimes, just a scene from a film, taken out of context (as that clip is), doesn't do justice to the story.

In fact, for the first time, I went to TCM Watch to see if I could watch the entire film. However, turns out TCM Watch is not available for me, whether because I reside in Canada or for some other reason, I'm not sure. But I'll keep an eye out for Next Time I Marry on the regular TCM schedule. To be honest, it looks like a fun movie !

(I do recognize that people have to not take the situations in old comedies too seriously, and maybe I should lighten up - although not "lighten up" in the sense of setting a fire !  sorry, that was a stretch...)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Now that's funny. Tell me if this is funny.

I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I literally get nothing when I click this on. It just says "video unavailable".   ??

Up this weekend: Tattooed Stranger.

I've seen this, twice. Years ago TCM aired it, and I recorded it. And coincidentally, I just watched it again a few weeks ago.

I actually quite like it, in spite of its obvious low-budget and second -tier actors (I like them, too.) It's an odd little film - short and sweet. Well, short, anyway. But I won't say anything more at this point. I'm not a spoiler kind of poster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I literally get nothing when I click this on. It just says "video unavailable".   ??

It was a Three Stooges video. My brother and I use to watch this stuff and found it funny. Some might not. For me, the pie in face never gets old.

The claim is the YouTube account has been terminated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Up this weekend: Tattooed Stranger.

I've seen this, twice. Years ago TCM aired it, and I recorded it. And coincidentally, I just watched it again a few weeks ago.

I actually quite like it, in spite of its obvious low-budget and second -tier actors (I like them, too.) It's an odd little film - short and sweet. Well, short, anyway. But I won't say anything more at this point. I'm not a spoiler kind of poster.

I'd never heard of this film until I saw it on the Noir Alley schedule.  

Even though I've seen it, I need to catch up on On Dangerous Ground and some other previous Noir Alley entries.  Last night, my husband and I started watching Birdman of Alcatraz.  We got through about half of it (it's a long movie) and my husband had to go to bed.  I had to stop the movie because he wanted to see the rest of it.  He loves birds. Lol. 

---

I think I still have some other Noir Alley to watch as well: 99 River Street, Border Incident, M (remake), Key Largo (which I've seen, but not with Muller's intro/closing comments), Shadow on the Wall, On Dangerous Ground, Beware My Lovely, Talk About a Stranger, Crack Up, The Killing, The Threat, The Sniper, Follow Me Quietly, The Hunted, Scene of the Crime, Roadblock, Armored Car Robbery, The Man Who Cheated Himself, Crime Wave, The Narrow Margin, Mystery Street, Suddenly, Where Danger Lives, Red Light, The Window, Split Second, Raw Deal, Scandal Sheet, Side Street... 

Wow I am more behind than I thought.  I should really watch these.  I need to clean off room on my DVR.  I record Noir Alley every week regardless of what movie is showing.  I was looking at this link (https://letterboxd.com/thatonejeffguy/list/tcms-noir-alley-the-master-list/) to see what's been featured on Noir Alley so far and apparently I missed some.  I've been wanting to see 711 Ocean Drive which apparently was featured.  I probably had it recorded on my old DVR before it died. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I'd never heard of this film until I saw it on the Noir Alley schedule.  

Even though I've seen it, I need to catch up on On Dangerous Ground and some other previous Noir Alley entries.  Last night, my husband and I started watching Birdman of Alcatraz.  We got through about half of it (it's a long movie) and my husband had to go to bed.  I had to stop the movie because he wanted to see the rest of it.  He loves birds. Lol. 

---

I think I still have some other Noir Alley to watch as well: 99 River Street, Border Incident, M (remake), Key Largo (which I've seen, but not with Muller's intro/closing comments), Shadow on the Wall, On Dangerous Ground, Beware My Lovely, Talk About a Stranger, Crack Up, The Killing, The Threat, The Sniper, Follow Me Quietly, The Hunted, Scene of the Crime, Roadblock, Armored Car Robbery, The Man Who Cheated Himself, Crime Wave, The Narrow Margin, Mystery Street, Suddenly, Where Danger Lives, Red Light, The Window, Split Second, Raw Deal, Scandal Sheet, Side Street... 

Wow I am more behind than I thought.  I should really watch these.  I need to clean off room on my DVR.  I record Noir Alley every week regardless of what movie is showing.  I was looking at this link (https://letterboxd.com/thatonejeffguy/list/tcms-noir-alley-the-master-list/) to see what's been featured on Noir Alley so far and apparently I missed some.  I've been wanting to see 711 Ocean Drive which apparently was featured.  I probably had it recorded on my old DVR before it died. 

Are there any birds like this in Birdman of Alcatraz😎

image.jpeg.b2416bf7f28af5209d30e1a5a744db07.jpeg

By the way, I don't remember Noir Alley ever airing 711 Ocean Drive - maybe it was summer of 2017, when I was away for much of July. (Anyone remember when this one was shown??) I'd love to see it.

7 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Are there any birds like this in Birdman of Alcatraz😎

image.jpeg.b2416bf7f28af5209d30e1a5a744db07.jpeg

By the way, I don't remember Noir Alley ever airing 711 Ocean Drive - maybe it was summer of 2017, when I was away for much of July. (Anyone remember when this one was shown??) I'd love to see it.

Lol.  I wish there were green cheek conures! It would be weird though if they were randomly flying around outside Burt Lancaster's cell in Kansas.  As far as I can tell, Lancaster cares for sparrows and canaries.  The problem with birds in black and white films is that so many bird breeds can be identified by their coloring.  Take that away and the bird has to have some very distinctive features, like the crest on a cockatoo or the little circles on a cockatiel's face.  Or a toucan with its distinctive beak.

The only movie I've seen with a conure in it is I, Tonya.  Allison Janney's character has a crimson-bellied conure. It looks very similar to my bird, except it has a red belly instead of a yellow one. 

I'm thinking of renting 711 Ocean Drive on Amazon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

You can see 711 Ocean Drive for free at the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/711OceanDrive50

Thank you.  I'll consider this resource.  I am not a fan of watching movies on my computer.  My TV does have an internet browser, so I'll have to see how this looks on there.  

13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Thank you.  I'll consider this resource.  I am not a fan of watching movies on my computer.  My TV does have an internet browser, so I'll have to see how this looks on there.  

Get your family a chromecast device ($30-35) then you can cast anything you can watch on your computer to your TV.

There is also a neat site that you can fix the aspect ratio if the streamers aspect is wrong.

• Like 1

Nice little sequence with the 2nd & 3rd Ave el Coenties Slip "S" curve in The Tattooed Stranger.

However the footage in the film is archival since The curve and the tracks to South Ferry were already scrapped by 1942.

The 3rd Avenue el was still running from City Hall Station spur and Chatham Square Station North until 1955. So all Noirs filmed in NYC usually used the 3rd Ave el (The Dark Corner, The Killer That Stalked New York, Port Of New York, etc. ) or the archival footage like in this film.

Feininger_2.jpg

1923_coenties_closer.png

Feininger.jpg

Coenties_SLip_2.jpg

Coenties_Slip_8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice pics of a NYC long gone, joe, thanks for that. The old buildings, roads, apartments, restaurants, parks - everything from that era - are one reason I enjoy old noirs.

Tattooed Stranger really is pretty much nothing more than a procedural; they don't bother much with the characters of either the murdered or the murderer.    SPOILER  I really wish young Detective Tobin hadn't been so hasty to shoot the fleeing villain, since I was curious to know what his motives were all about. We do hear Tobin and Lieutenant Corrigan musing that the killer and his "wife" were competing on some blackmail or fraud scheme, but that's just speculation, and the details even for that are scant.

But this is not the kind of film that concerns itself with things like character and motivation, or even atmosphere. It's all about the "police procedural", as Eddie explains in his intro. That, and of course the on-location NYC settings, which I really enjoyed. 

I do wonder what happened with the young actor who played Tobin, John Miles. He wasn't bad, certainly just as good as many similar actors who were more prolific in their film careers. Eddie just says Tattooed Stranger was his last film - but he doesn't say why. Did Miles settle down for a more stable, Hollywood-free life, maybe becoming an insurance salesman, or possibly a stone engraver ? Qui sait?

• Like 4

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

. . . I am not a fan of watching movies on my computer. . . .

I agree!

But sometimes "convenience" and/or "cheap" (as in "free"!) win out. The Internet Archive is a good resource to consider for both reasons.

21 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Get your family a chromecast device ($30-35) then you can cast anything you can watch on your computer to your TV.

There is also a neat site that you can fix the aspect ratio if the streamers aspect is wrong.

I am sort of interested in Chromecast. I have cheap Roku and Amazon TV sticks, and don't like either. My brother is an IT guy with our public schools. They have Chromecast and Chromebooks everywhere.

26 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I agree!

But sometimes "convenience" and/or "cheap" (as in "free"!) win out. The Internet Archive is a good resource to consider for both reasons.

But you don't have to, if you are connected to the internet by wireless. Just get a 30-35 dollar chromecast and you can cast from your computer or phone to you big screen TV. It's not rocket science.

THE TATTOOED STRANGER (1950)

Well let me just say that I think the poster is more interesting than the film :D, but the film was okay.  I liked the plot, but as misswonderly3 pointed out I would have liked more closure.  There is a lot behind this stranger and we never really get to know him.  I do feel this plot deserved better than some of the weaker performances, but I am also glad it wasn't overly melodramatic.  All and all I am very glad I saw it if only for some of those great shots cigarjoe pointed out.  I won't be adding this one to my collection, but it was an interesting exercise.

Tattooed Stranger (1950).jpg

Oh and I agree with Eddie that Corrigan (Walter Kinsella) was probably the most entertaining performer in the film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Michael Rennie said:

I am sort of interested in Chromecast. I have cheap Roku and Amazon TV sticks, and don't like either. My brother is an IT guy with our public schools. They have Chromecast and Chromebooks everywhere.

My son has an Amazon Fire Stick he thinks it's better (he works for NSA in cyber security), but the Chromecast is fine for me.

7 minutes ago, Looney said:

THE TATTOOED STRANGER (1950)

Well let me just say that I think the poster is more interesting than the film :D, but the film was okay.  I liked the plot, but as misswonderly3 pointed out I would have liked more closure.  There is a lot behind this stranger and we never really get to know him.  I do feel this plot deserved better than some of the weaker performances, but I am also glad it wasn't overly melodramatic.  All and all I am very glad I saw it if only for some of those great shots cigarjoe pointed out.  I won't be adding this one to my collection, but it was an interesting exercise.

Tattooed Stranger (1950).jpg

In the same vein is a film called Guilty Bystander another cheapie NYC based Noir also but it has Zachary Scott playing a boozing NYPD detective. I seen a really crappy (as in whole minutes go by in what looks like total darkness. lol) multi - generational copy of it.

One classic image that I remember is Scott sleeping one off in a bed surrounded by dead soldiers on the floor of his flee bag flop.

I liked how Eddie spent a great deal of time this week discussing the RKO Pathé documentary company and how it tied into the newsreel programming at the theaters, and how this faded away with the onset of television.  I really enjoy the fact that you just never know what you will learn about from week to week on Noir Alley.

With the multiple references to the film The Naked City this week, I checked the Noir Alley schedule to confirm that so far it has not been shown as part of the series.  It is shown on TCM occasionally, so now I feel I should have seen it by now and will have to check it out at the next opportunity.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

My son has an Amazon Fire Stick he thinks it's better (he works for NSA in cyber security), but the Chromecast is fine for me.

SpeedRacer5 says her TV has a browser. That should get the job done. The Amazon TV products have a browser too, Amazon's own Silk browser.

As for Noir Alley, Christmas Holiday is only available to watch on YouTube. I think the Chromecast product would help a lot of people to see it.

Here is what Chromecast can do:

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast

I looked at Christmas Holiday on my 10 inch tablet. It looked okay, but the resolution is low.

1 minute ago, Michael Rennie said:

SpeedRacer5 says her TV has a browser. That should get the job done. The Amazon TV products have a browser too, Amazon's own Silk browser.

As for Noir Alley, Christmas Holiday is only available to watch on YouTube. I think the Chromecast product would help a lot of people to see it.

Here is what Chromecast can do:

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast

I looked at Christmas Holiday on my 10 inch tablet. It looked okay, but the resolution is low.

I have a You Tube app on my TV, so I could stream movies onto it.  If Christmas Holiday has a low resolution on a 10" screen, I'm not sure how it'll look on a 55" screen.

This was the second time I've watched The Tattooed Stranger on TCM, and with this time noticing what I thought were some rather clever and witty dialogue interspersed throughout the proceedings.

(...of course then again and as you people would know, what I would consider "clever and witty" is sometimes based at a fairly low bar of measurement) ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coenties_Slip_8.jpg

One of the things I learned in model railroading is that an S curve (as above) is very tricky.  The train is headed in one direction and you jerk it to another and then do it again very quickly.  Leads to a lot of derailments.

I enjoyed The Tattooed Stranger and especially Eddies commentaries.  Forgot which one, but apparently one of the female hosts has a tattoo?

Thought it interesting that the RKO-Pathe B movie enterprise died due to many people discovering they could work in TV and essentially make 54 minute B movies every week.  Eddie mentioned M Squad and The Naked City as two of the Noir type TV shows that displaced B movies.

I thought the "love interest" looked familiar, but as Patricia Barry, not White as noted by Eddie.