Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

5,321 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Baer was the father of Jethro from The Beverly Hillbillies right? Ugh Jethro was annoying. 

This sounds like a great film. I think I've seen Primo Carnera in another film.  He was with Myrna Loy. I can't really remember anything else about the film, except for Carnera and Loy. I'll definitely record this when its on. Though I record every Noir Alley, even if I own the film. 

I didn't realize Bogart was so hairy. Yuck. 

That film you saw with Baer, Carnera and Myrna Loy was The Prizefighter and the Lady.

The interesting thing about that production is that Carnera was heavyweight champ when it was made, and the world was awaiting his title defence against Baer. Well, in the film Baer and Carnera do fight one another, and you can't help but think that when they were on an MGM set "faking" the blows that they must have also been testing one another, knowing that their real fight would soon come with Carnera putting the heavyweight crown on the line.

f6fe3450a342dcf384f212e48843b464.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

That film you saw with Baer, Carnera and Myrna Loy was The Prizefighter and the Lady.

The interesting thing about that production is that Carnera was heavyweight champ when it was made, and the world was awaiting his title defence against Baer. Well, in the film Baer and Carnera do fight one another, and you can't help but think that when they were on an MGM set "faking" the blows that they must have also been testing one another, knowing that their real fight would soon come with Carnera putting the heavyweight crown on the line.

Wow. I didn't realize that they were set to fight after appearing together in a film.  That would be a great opportunity to size-up their opponent.

I miss the real heavyweight fights. Watching fights between two 135-lb soaking wet fighters is not that exciting. 

Just now, speedracer5 said:

Wow. I didn't realize that they were set to fight after appearing together in a film.  That would be a great opportunity to size-up their opponent.

I miss the real heavyweight fights. Watching fights between two 135-lb soaking wet fighters is not that exciting. 

I watched boxing in the era of Muhammad Ali during the '70s, for my money the best decade in the history of heavyweight boxing. God, what a time it was!

Who even knows the name of the heavyweight champ today?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I watched boxing in the era of Muhammad Ali during the '70s, for my money the best decade in the history of heavyweight boxing. God, what a time it was!

I unfortunately missed boxing in its heyday. I remember seeing the Holyfield/Tyson fight when Tyson bit off Holyfield's ear. 

Isn't it GGG that's the heavyweight champ? Or maybe it's Canelo? I don't even remember if they're heavy weights. They might be the weight class below that?

Perhaps one of the Klitchko (sp?) brothers are still the reigning champs? As long as Mayweather is out of there, I don't care who it is.

Has it always been the case where the boxers cherry pick their fights so that they can maintain their title? They don't actually fight someone their equal or perhaps someone who might be a little better? I feel like today's boxing is far inferior to the old boxing--only because they seem to lack the drama, and the fights aren't as interesting. I rarely see a fight with a KO. Most fights I see are settled with a decision. 

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I unfortunately missed boxing in its heyday. I remember seeing the Holyfield/Tyson fight when Tyson bit off Holyfield's ear. 

Isn't it GGG that's the heavyweight champ? Or maybe it's Canelo? I don't even remember if they're heavy weights. They might be the weight class below that?

Perhaps one of the Klitchko (sp?) brothers are still the reigning champs? As long as Mayweather is out of there, I don't care who it is.

Has it always been the case where the boxers cherry pick their fights so that they can maintain their title? They don't actually fight someone their equal or perhaps someone who might be a little better? I feel like today's boxing is far inferior to the old boxing--only because they seem to lack the drama, and the fights aren't as interesting. I rarely see a fight with a KO. Most fights I see are settled with a decision. 

Tyson biting off a part of Holyfield's ear was a real low point in the sport (which has plenty of low points). I have no idea who the heavyweight champ (or more likely, champs) are today.

That was the thing about Ali - he fought them all. Yes, he had easy opponents but he never ducked any of the big names. Perhaps only at the end of his career, when he avoided a fourth fight with Ken Norton. He wasn't the same fighter by that time and he knew it, and Norton had always been awkward for him.

Muhammad never said truer words than when he said that he and Frazier went to Manila (in 1975) as champions and both came back as old men.

• Like 1

Noir Alert - for those going on Noir withdrawals and have access to On Demand TCM my Noir-dar detects....

Beyond A Reasonable Doubt (1956) A novelist Dana Andrews, aided by his future father-in-law conspires to frame himself for the murder of a burlesque dancer as part of an effort to ban capital punishment. With Joan Fontaine, Sidney Blackmer, Arthur Franz, Barbara Nichols, and Dan Seymour.

Cape Fear (1962) Stalked by a nutcase with Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Polly Bergen, Lori Martin, Martin Balsam, Telly Savalas and Barrie Chase.

Deadline at Dawn (1946) Cornell Woolrich tale with Susan Hayward, Bill Williams, Paul Lucas, Joseph Calleia.

A Kiss Before Dying (1956) with Jeffrey Hunter, Robert Wagner, Joanne Woodward, Mary Astor.

The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers (1946) with Van Heflin, Barbara Stanwyck, Lizabeth Scott, and Kirk Douglas

Is House of Strangers available? So glad I remembered to record this. Solid movie. I'd put this in the top five or six Joseph L. Mankiewicz films. Excellent script, with that opening where everyone reacts to Richard Conte entering the bank, though we don't know why yet. Thoughtful camera movements and noirish stylings. To me, Conte is equally good as hero or villain, and here he gets to be a little of both at different times. Edward G. Robinson is maybe a touch hammy on occasion as the father, but it works for this part, because this father is usually acting to manipulate his sons. Susan Hayward looks great, has chemistry with Conte, and  makes me wish she were onscreen even more. Luther Adler also is especially good as the oldest son, the colorless one who resents his more charismatic brother. That's the kind of part that can easily be overplayed, but Adler is small-scale and colorless in just the right way ("colorless" is not a word I've ever used to praise a performance before!). It's nice to see Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as one of the younger brothers.

Mankiewicz is hardly a director I think of in terms of noir, but House of Strangers and Somewhere in the Night are both good (SITN has a way more convoluted plot, but that can be noirish, too), and the Gothic air of Dragonwyck is somewhat related to noir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't seen House of Strangers before and LOVED it! I hope it shows up on Noir Alley one day. Loved Susan Hayward in it. Well, everyone. Wasn't sure how it was going to end....

• Like 1

The Big Clock Tonight for Noir Alleys return!!!!

Wrote this back in 2011

The Big Clock (1948) Dir John Farrow, with Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Sullivan, George Macready, Rita Johnson, Harry Morgan, and Elsa Lanchester an unlikely cast for sure.  Great Noir and funny to boot. Looks like it was all shot in the studio not very many location shots, still a 9/10.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

jax

@jaxbra

·

1h

If you haven't seen #TheBigClock (1948) yet, you need to! Two chances on

@TCM

's #NoirAlley this weekend: tonight at 12AM/Sunday 10AM/ET!

Remade as 1987's No Way Out (Kevin Costner & Gene Hackman), the original stars Charles Laughton & Ray Milland. #TCMParty #LetsMovie

@NoirAlley

The Big Clock was an absolute treat. It's not gritty or full dark and seedy, more like a comedic-noir and I had a blast with it. Fast-paced, great dialogue and delivery, and the process of it all. Them trying to find out who the culprit is while we see that it points to the fall guy Shroud, and he's doing all he can to throw them off the scent, participating in the investigation and doing his own sleuthing all at once. And Elsa Lanchester as Patterson, that was just hilarious.

Probably the best thing I'll see all week, and it's only 2 AM on Sunday.

• Like 6

An Interesting side note to Eddie's remarks about the premier of the film The Big Clock at the Paramount Theater in NYC is the fact that the theater was located at 1501 Broadway in the Paramount Building which has its own connection to a "big clock," hardboiled novels, and Noir. 

237px-1501_Broadway_rear_top.jpg

The Paramount buildings "Big Clock" above, at one time, could be seen from many points in the city North of Midtown Manhattan. This clock and that fact that it could be seen was the basis for Cornell Woolrich's Deadline At Dawn novel and the character in the novel that Susan Hayward played in the film would keep track of that deadline with the various glimpses she got of the clock as it ticked towards dawn. Beginning with her noting that they only had four hours left to take care of business when she looked at the clock from her Hell's Kitchen tenement apartment window. Then later from Central Park East, etc., etc. Noir's a small world. To bad the 1946 film based on Deadline at Dawn eliminated the "Big Clock" side bar. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/30/2019 at 12:59 PM, TomJH said:

Don't forget that period( that I'm not sure has passed yet, that's how out of it I am about the sport) when heavyweight boxers started looking more like SUMO WRESTLERS.

And I believe it's a guy named ANDY RUIZ Jr.who's the current heavyweight champ.

Sepiatone

THE BIG CLOCK (1948)

All I needed to hear was Charles Laughton and I knew I was in for a treat, but then add Elsa Lanchester and there is pretty much no way I was falling asleep last night.  What and "absolute treat" indeed.  I loved it start to finish.  The only way it could have been better was more Laughton and Lanchester.  And mysterious Henry (Harry) Morgan was great too, but I wish there had been a bit more to his character.  And I love seeing Philip Van Zandt in anything.  Not only do I enjoy his work, but I immediately think of The Three Stooges.  That is probably not something Mr. Van Zandt wanted to be remembered for, but he should be grateful there is a reason he is still remembered by someone in 2019.

So glad NOIR ALLEY is back.

• Like 2

Yep, everything was great in The Big Clock, alright. The acting, the direction, the clever dialogue, the pacing, the cinematography, the Art Deco sets.

Yep, EVERYTHING was great in that movie, alright.

Well, except for that thing under Laughton's nose, anyway. Man, that had to be THE worst lookin' 'stache I've ever seen on ANYONE'S mug!

Or, as Ray here might be saying to his costar between takes in this film...

Annex%20-%20Laughton,%20Charles%20(Big%2

"No Charles. If you want my opinion, I'd have shaven that thing off before we started this picture, because no, it's not making you look any more 'dashing', if that's what you were trying for here. No, I'd say leave that whole mustache look to guys like Gable and Niven!"

• Haha 2

Any word from MissWonderly3? Hurricane Dorian decided to hit East Canada before going out to sea. Hope she's okay and returning to the forum now that Noir Alley is back.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

Any word from MissWonderly3? Hurricane Dorian decided to hit East Canada before going out to sea. Hope she's okay and returning to the forum now that Noir Alley is back.

She's fine. MissW will be away for a little bit, but she'll be back soon.

• Thanks 2

Miss Wonderly doesnt live on the coast. She lives in Southern Ontario.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Miss Wonderly doesnt live on the coast. She lives in Southern Ontario.

Yes, just outside Toronto somewhere, as I recall. And a place where hurricanes seldom if ever venture.

(...now, winter BLIZZARDS are a whole OTHER issue there, ya know) LOL

;)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, just outside Toronto somewhere, as I recall. And a place where hurricanes seldom if ever venture.

;)

Hey,   I saw a map on T.V. that showed the hurricane was heading right towards Toronto.

One needs to get their info from the correct source! 

10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey,   I saw a map on T.V. that showed the hurricane was heading right towards Toronto.

Did it have a black magic marker drawn on it???

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Now now, James. You haven't been gettin' your weather updates from a guy sportin' a comb-over and a rather large posterior, AND with sharpie in hand who's makin' up his OWN forecasts lately, have YOU???

'Cause ya know, THAT guy isn't usually real accurate NO MATTER what kind'a things he's talkin' about.

(...whether, ahem, WEATHER or NOT!!!) 

LOL

40 minutes ago, Dargo said:

;)

Actually southern Ontario did suffer from Hurricane Hazel in 1954. Since then, however, the biggest windbags around here have been politicians.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TomJH said:

Actually southern Ontario did suffer from Hurricane Hazel in 1954. Since then, however, the biggest windbags around here have been politicians.

LOL

Yeah, well, even THEN we've STILL got you "beat" in this regard down here south of 49th Parallel, dude!

(...I suppose I don't now need to redirect your attention to whom I made the thinly-veiled reference within my immediate previous posting, do I???) ;) 

27 minutes ago, TomJH said:

This is an epidemic here in the US too--especially in the last 3 years or so... ::Groan:: 

• Like 2