Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

5,284 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, well, even THEN we've STILL got you "beat" in this regard down here south of 49th Parallel, dude!

(...I suppose I don't now need to redirect your attention to whom I made the thinly-veiled reference within my immediate previous posting, do I???) ;) 

Sorry, Dargo, I don't know who you mean. Gotta go - I'm busy altering a weather map.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Sorry, Dargo, I don't know who you mean. Gotta go - I'm busy altering a weather map.

Spare Oregon from Hurricane Dorian’s path of destruction, please. 

Just now, speedracer5 said:

Spare Oregon from Hurricane Dorian’s path of destruction, please. 

Will do but, remember, you owe me.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Will do but, remember, you owe me.

I'll send you some Tillamook cheese and a pair of Nikes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I'll send you some Tillamook cheese and a pair of Nikes.

They just started selling Tillamook cheese at my local grocery in the past month or so. I like it.

🧀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

They just started selling Tillamook cheese at my local grocery in the past month or so. I like it.

🧀

If they sell the Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar in the black wrapper, get that one, it is my favorite.  Yum!

My husband and I may have just visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory last week.  We usually just pass through the section where you can see them making the cheese.  We always get the cheese samples even though we know what they all taste like.  The real reason we go though, is for the delicious ice cream.  Yum! It (and the rest of the Oregon coast) is less than 2 hours from my house!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

If they sell the Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar in the black wrapper, get that one, it is my favorite.  Yum!

My husband and I may have just visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory last week.  We usually just pass through the section where you can see them making the cheese.  We always get the cheese samples even though we know what they all taste like.  The real reason we go though, is for the delicious ice cream.  Yum! It (and the rest of the Oregon coast) is less than 2 hours from my house!

Speedy, as you might know, the Tillamook WWII Air Museum located within the largest clear span wooden structure in the world, and which was one of two built in 1942 in the immediate area to house the anti-submarine U.S. Navy dirigibles used at the time (the other hanger being destroyed in a great fire in 1992) is also a nice stop to make while traveling through Tillamook. 

(...I remember going there right after visiting the cheese factory a couple of decades ago)

Oregon Rules! I say that because I live in California. I know more about Oregon than California. I get ice cream from Schwan's, but really, Tillamook is better. In Southern Oregon is Harry and David. We send pears to my cousin in Minnesota. Oregon is the best!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Keeper said:

Oregon Rules! I say that because I live in California. I know more about Oregon than California. I get ice cream from Schwan's, but really, Tillamook is better. In Southern Oregon is Harry and David. We send pears to my cousin in Minnesota. Oregon is the best!

I just went to Harry and David at the beach. Tillamook is always better. Umpqua is good too. I love California—that’s probably because as a native Oregonian, going to California is different and fun. 

12 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

I have family moving from both Oregon and California to Colorado. I don't normally watch Noir Alley, but when I do ...

Ugh Coors. They may as well drink water!

• Haha 1

:D How did MONTY PYTHON put it?-----

"Like making love in a canoe"---- :D 

Sepiatone

Well, how about some White Port, Lemon Juice and a Rubber Biscuit?

(The Four Deuces & The Chips)

Sepiatone should know what I'm talking about.

For those who follow such things, after Saturday night I put this Blu-Ray on my wishlist and yesterday I noticed Amazon dropped the price from $39.99 to . .  . .

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Clock-Blu-ray-Ray-Milland/dp/B07NHPLHTG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=the+big+clock&qid=1568226329&s=gateway&sr=8-4

. . . . so yeah I immediately made that purchase. :D  Thought everyone should know because that is a great movie.  The DVD price isn't too bad either.

The Big Clock (1948) Blu-Ray Cover.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Looney said:

For those who follow such things, after Saturday night I put this Blu-Ray on my wishlist and yesterday I noticed Amazon dropped the price from $39.99 to . .  . .

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Clock-Blu-ray-Ray-Milland/dp/B07NHPLHTG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=the+big+clock&qid=1568226329&s=gateway&sr=8-4

. . . . so yeah I immediately made that purchase. :D  Thought everyone should know because that is a great movie.  The DVD price isn't too bad either.

The Big Clock (1948) Blu-Ray Cover.jpg

John Farrow directed some fine noir \ crime films;

Calcutta with Alan Ladd and Gail Russell.

Night has a Thousand Eyes with E.G. Robinson and Gail Russell

The Big Clock

Alias Nick Beal with Ray Milland and Audrey Totter

Where Danger Lives with Robert Mitchum,  Faith Domergue,  and Claude Rains

His Kind of Women with Robert Mitchum,  Jane Russell and Vincent Price

A Bullet is Waiting with Jean Simmons and Stephen McNally 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen Nocturne should be a treat.

Same here.  Hope it's worth staying up for.  If not, glad to have Noir Alley come on Sunday morning for a second helping if I crash out early.

2 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Same here.  Hope it's worth staying up for. 

Yea I haven't been too impressed with George Raft.

Lynn Bari is awfully good in Nocturne, as I recall. Nicely directed by Edwin L. Marin.

Forgot to mention that the only George Raft Noir I've liked so far was Red Light (1949). Lynn Bari was great in The Amazing Mr. X (1948)

Raft is very good in They Drive By Night, as well as the 1935 Glass Key. His stoic tough guy performance in the latter film made me realize he would have been a decent Sam Spade.

• Like 1

No comparison between They Drive By Night, Red Light and The Glass Key, all so good. I've seen Nocturne before and this viewing didn't change my mind, so inferior to the other 3.

That opening zoom looked like a big still photograph or matte painting with a rectangular cut out for the house interior which was film like a rear projection through that cut out. There must be a name for that process. It was similar to that shot in a Film Noir that takes place mostly in a bar full of hostages. In it there is a shot of what looks like a big screen TV in a bar it's rectangular rather than what a 1950s era TV screen looked like. The Noir had an address for a title that was five numbers long and started with a 1____ or 11____ I just can't remember it or the actors but a few were famous more in the 60s and 70s.