Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

5,321 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have only seen part of this movie, but I remember it being REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY BAD!

whether it was, like, BEYOND THE FOREST BAD (ie a work of true greatness) or just a total misfire, I do not entirely recall.

I have to admit that I have very mixed feelings in re: JEAN RENOIR; I love THE SOUTHERNER but I do not like either GRAND ILLUSION or THE RULES OF THE GAME at all.

Lorna, you might try Renoir's Diary of a Chambermaid. It isn't much liked by a lot of people who do like his more famous films, but if you think of it as a double episode of Soap or Desperate Housewives, I think it works well,  especially if you like Paulette Goddard. I like most of the Renoir films I've seen, including Woman on the Beach, but he's not one of my favorite directors. Elena and Her Men is stupefyingly bad, at least the script is. Sets are great and Ingrid Bergman's costumes are wild. If you've never thought of a Fascist romantic comedy, that's Elena and Her Men. Imagine a mash-up of Seven Days in May and Sweet November performed in the artificial style of The Philadelphia Story.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kingrat said:

Lorna, you might try Renoir's Diary of a Chambermaid. It isn't much liked by a lot of people who do like his more famous films, but if you think of it as a double episode of Soap or Desperate Housewives, I think it works well, 

Elena and Her Men is stupefyingly bad  If you've never thought of a Fascist romantic comedy, that's Elena and Her Men.

I'M INTRIGUED!

GRAND ILLUSION and BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING are memorable films for me in that- whenever either title is mentioned here- I am the ONLY PERSON HERE who voices dislike of the first and enjoyment of the second.

(I live to be a contrarian. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 8:06 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have only seen part of this movie, but I remember it being REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY BAD!

whether it was, like, BEYOND THE FOREST BAD (ie a work of true greatness) or just a total misfire, I do not entirely recall.

I have to admit that I have very mixed feelings in re: JEAN RENOIR; I love THE SOUTHERNER but I do not like either GRAND ILLUSION or THE RULES OF THE GAME at all.

Do you dislike them because they're foreign language? I know you said you generally don't care for foreign language films before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Do you dislike them because they're foreign language? I know you said you generally don't care for foreign language films before.

No, that really wasn't a factor- at least not with THE RULES OF THE GAME...

I wouldn't ENTIRELY say I don't care for foreign language films (there are many I love- RASHOMAN, SEVEN SAMURAI, LE BELLE ET LA BETE (SP?) and some others) BUT: I would say that I don't ACTIVELY seek out foreign films to view because (laugh if you will but...) I have sensitive eyes and- seriously- it is a strain for me to sometimes read subtitles . i ALSO HAVE ADD and like to LISTEN to the flow of dialogue.

Now, that said, sometimes I do watch a foreign film and "don't get" what is going on because I don't entirely get the culture from which said film is coming. I don't think this applies to RULES OF THE GAME, which I just plain didn't like as a movie, BUT MAYBE IT DOES APPLY TO GRANDE ILLUSION, because I just DON'T UNDERSTAND SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THAT FILM. It is very alien to me and hard to wrap my head around.

I just...try as I might, I do not get what that one is all about, Alfie.

edit- to bolster your point though, again, I LOVE THE SOUTHERNER (1945)- which is about white trash dirt farmers and I am from NORTH CAROLINA...so, you know, maybe there is something to familiarity not breeding contempt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No, that really wasn't a factor- at least not with THE RULES OF THE GAME...

I wouldn't ENTIRELY say I don't care for foreign language films (there are many I love- RASHOMAN, SEVEN SAMURAI, LE BELLE ET LA BETE (SP?) and some others) BUT: I would say that I don't ACTIVELY seek out foreign films to view because (laugh if you will but...) I have sensitive eyes and- seriously- it is a strain for me to sometimes read subtitles . i ALSO HAVE ADD and like to LISTEN to the flow of dialogue.

Now, that said, sometimes I do watch a foreign film and "don't get" what is going on because I don't entirely get the culture from which said film is coming. I don't think this applies to RULES OF THE GAME, which I just plain didn't like as a movie, BUT MAYBE IT DOES APPLY TO GRANDE ILLUSION, because I just DON'T UNDERSTAND SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THAT FILM. It is very alien to me and hard to wrap my head around.

I just...try as I might, I do not get what that one is all about, Alfie.

edit- to bolster your point though, again, I LOVE THE SOUTHERNER (1945)- which is about white trash dirt farmers and I am from NORTH CAROLINA...so, you know, maybe there is something to familiarity not breeding contempt.

 

Grand Illusion is to me, a very good film about the class structure and European nations of WWI and would not make sense in the present so I do kind of understand what you mean.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Grand Illusion is to me, a very good film about the class structure and European nations of WWI and would not make sense in the present so I do kind of understand what you mean.

Yes, I will absolutely entertain the notion that there is some something to GRANDE ILLUSION that I missed.

However, I stick firmly to my guns in not liking RULES OF THE GAME even the eentiest teentiest bit, and keep in mind- language barrier or not- I am predisposed to LOVE a film about SCHEMING RICH PEOPLE AT A COUNTRY ESTATE PLAYING PSYCHOSEXUAL MIND GAMES WITH ONE ANOTHER AND MINDLESS OF THE FACT THAT THEY STAND ON THE VERY PRECIPICE OF UTTER RUIN.

I just thought it sucked**.

**and believe it or not, I try not to use that term in my "big bag of words" for when I dislike something, but sometimes it is just so damn apt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I like Rules of the Game, it is seriously flawed in that all the men are supposed to be gaga about Nora Gregor, who is just not that gaga-inducing. Gene Tierney she ain't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Though I like Rules of the Game, it is seriously flawed in that all the men are supposed to be gaga about Nora Gregor, who is just not that gaga-inducing. Gene Tierney she ain't.

Yeah, they should have gotten Suzy Delair.

MV5BMTQ0MjgwMjEyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjEx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the showing of Woman on the Beach tonight I hope Eddie Mueller will mention this thing in last week's Nocturne, the movie playing in Nocturne at the Pantages-WOTB-was not out for a year.Due to many reshoots  asked by RKO,it was released  during the summer of 1947 almost a year after Nocturne..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to some internet issues I was unable to watch NOCTURN (1946) when it aired on NOIR ALLEY last weekend.  I watched it Friday night, here were my thoughts.

NOCTURN (1946)

Tonight I learned I am NOT a George Raft fan.  I guess this movie just rubbed me the wrong way, especially Raft.  I saw no glimmer of talent in him, though I assume there must be – or at least he can dance. LOL  The rest of the cast was really good, but Raft just blah.  My other big issues would be some of the logic involved.   I feel there was no indication that Joe was acting differently as a detective than he had ever acted before, so why was it creating so many problems at work all of the sudden?  I also knew who the killer was as soon as he became a character.  I thought to myself, “If he says more than a few passing lines then he is the killer.”

I see no reason I’d ever watch this again, but there were some really AWESOME shots in the movie.  Speaking of shots, the scene where Joe finds Shawn’s body.  When he is walking up the path to the front door there is a woman walking up the adjacent path.  This isn’t a sidewalk.  There are clearly two walkways leading from the sidewalk to Shawn’s front door.  Did anyone else notice this?  I assume it is a deleted scene.  When Joe gets to the front door in the next shot he is alone.  I noticed there are credits on IMDB for people who were in deleted scenes.

So after reading everyone’s comments I guess I have to sit through THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT (1940) to find out Raft does have a spark worth watching. LOL

WOMAN ON THE BEACH (1947)

Wow what can I say here.  So much to like and so much to scratch my head at.  I assumed I would love this movie because it was a Robert Ryan flick I hadn’t seen yet.  I was mistaken.  It was okay, but I think my impressions were tainted by Eddie’s intro.  All I kept thinking was, “This wasn’t what was originally intended.”  I hate knowing there was a different cut or deleted scenes.  Like the first scene when Scott awakens from his nightmare.  He is explaining the situation to Wernecke and the scene ends on a note that you can tell more was said.  Ryan delivers his line and there is just a fade to the next scene.  There was obviously more to that scene.  I don’t want to sound harsh here because there is a lot to like about this movie;  I just wish I liked more of it.  I thought all of the performances were great and there were flashes of brilliance here and there, but for the most part it just didn’t really capture my interest.

I did feel totally vindicated in the outro when Eddie explained the thing about dubbing Joan Bennett’s voice.  It was great.  The whole time I was watching the movie I kept thinking her voice sounded unnaturally low.  LOL

So staying on Robert Ryan as a topic.  I have been listening to old SUSPENSE radio programs on my way to work every day.  The next one up is an hour long show titled CROSSFIRE starring the cast of the film, including Ryan, as the characters they played in the movie.  I am so excited.  I think I have to find time to re-watch the movie before I listen just so I’m sure I know exactly what they edit out for the hour long radio drama.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW. Woman On The Beach must not have made much of an impression on anybody, for the lack of posts.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

WOW. Woman On The Beach must not have made much of an impression on anybody, for the lack of posts.....

I watched it earlier this year and thought it was awful. I gave it a 4/10.

I caught the end of the Sunday showing and listened to Eddie's remarks, but it didn't lead me to reassess my initial feelings about the film.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought The Woman on the Beach was OK. Eddie explained that it was cut and re-edited to make the studio happy. That explains why it wasn't better. I'm quickly becoming a Joan Bennett fan. I thought she was great in her role. However, my favorite Bennett movie is still The Woman in the Window. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Woman on the Beach, but I wasn't really watching it.  It was just on. I don't know if I can really give a fair assessment since I didn't really watch it intently. I would need to re-watch to give it a true assessment

I did like seeing Granny Clampett. 

And I liked the premise of someone being blind who might be lying.  

I also found Joan Bennett's voice to sound "off." I'm glad to know that she was told to affect her voice to a deeper register.  Her deep voice was somewhat off-putting.

I was surprised how short the film was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont get why Joan was made to lower her voice. There was nothing wrong about her voice in the first place! I thought the film might have made a good "mood piece" in the European tradition. It's too bad Renoir cut the film to try to appease the studio/audience. The edited down version just emphasized the melodramatic parts and did not give enough time for character development/motivation. I wouldn't call the film awful, but a misfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 3:48 PM, kingrat said:

Eddie Muller mentioned that Lynn Bari was known as "The Girl With the Million Dollar Figure" (on display in the swimsuit scene) and also as "The Woo Woo Girl." The still that Tom included (above) shows how well Lynn Bari photographs. It's not just that she's attractive; look at those eyes. With the right studio and opportunities--and not being called "The Woo Woo Girl"--she surely could have been an A-List star.

So Shock,  a 20th Century Fox film with Vincent Price and Lynn Bari;     Price plays a weak man and Bari clearly wears the pants in this relationship.   She is hard as nails.      Not a very good movie,  since Price isn't used well here.

Shock movie poster.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dullsville, baby. I saw it a number of years ago. At that time I concentrated on the foggy,

semi-mystical bs. This time I saw it as a triangle/adultery tale. Either way, there's not

much there. I was surprised by the ending. I thought Joan Bennett, the self-described

tramp, would have ditched Bickford, who was old enough to be her daddy, and went off

with Ryan before she ditched him somewhere down the road. Not even a heapin' helpin' of

Granny's possum stew could have saved this thing, though it could have been improved if

there had been a shot of Bob's horse taking a big dump on that pristine beach.  I

have never found anything off putting about Joan Bennett. :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Noirs, did you watch Fear Thy Neighbor? That one was really upsetting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hibi said:

Speaking of Noirs, did you watch Fear Thy Neighbor? That one was really upsetting to me.

I meant to, but for whatever reason it totally slipped my mind. I tried to stream it on the ID

website tonight, but it just keeps on going around in circles even though it's supposed to work

if you watch it on DirecTV (and other providers). I'll try again later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hibi said:

Speaking of Noirs, did you watch Fear Thy Neighbor? That one was really upsetting to me.

WHICH ONE? ARE THERE NEW ONES?

(I haven't checked out INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY in ages.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 2:06 PM, Looney said:

Thanks to some internet issues I was unable to watch NOCTURN (1946) when it aired on NOIR ALLEY last weekend.  I watched it Friday night, here were my thoughts.

NOCTURN (1946)

Tonight I learned I am NOT a George Raft fan.  I guess this movie just rubbed me the wrong way, especially Raft.  I saw no glimmer of talent in him, though I assume there must be – or at least he can dance. LOL  The rest of the cast was really good, but Raft just blah.

So staying on Robert Ryan as a topic.  I have been listening to old SUSPENSE radio programs on my way to work every day.  The next one up is an hour long show titled CROSSFIRE starring the cast of the film, including Ryan, as the characters they played in the movie.  I am so excited.  I think I have to find time to re-watch the movie before I listen just so I’m sure I know exactly what they edit out for the hour long radio drama.

terrific post, and not just because i agree with everything you say!

a loooong time ago, a poster here posted the EXISTENTIAL QUESTION: "WHO WAS A WORSE ACTOR? GEORGE BRENT OR GEORGE RAFT?" At the time, I was unsure, but now I can tell you NO DOUBT- RAFT all the way. BRENT was handsome when he was younger and actually pretty personable and likeable in plenty of movies early in his career and at least one later on (MY REPUTATION.)

Raft just suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I think his worst work  is in BLACK WIDOW (1956).

I'm a HUGE classic radio fan and I prefer the SUSPENSE HOUR LONG CROSSFIRE EPISODE to the movie. Another really good episode of SUSPENSE is HIGH WALL with ROBERT TAYLOR reprising his role from the movie. (and another is the one with JAMES CAGNEY about a man who wins the "COMMUNITY SAFEST DRIVER OF THE YEAR" award and runs a car off the road on the way to the ceremony, killing everyone inside. (hE THEN KINDA FORGETS TO ALERT THE AUTHORITIES ABOUT IT...)

oops, caps lock

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I meant to, but for whatever reason it totally slipped my mind. I tried to stream it on the ID

website tonight, but it just keeps on going around in circles even though it's supposed to work

if you watch it on DirecTV (and other providers). I'll try again later. 

I'm sure it'll be rerun. I forget where it was located. It was a good one, but really upsetting (at least for me).

 

Oh, I think it was northern CA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHICH ONE? ARE THERE NEW ONES?

(I haven't checked out INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY in ages.)

YES. Started new episodes Sat. night (10PM). Oddly back in August, I think they ran 3 new episodes (with no promos) then it stopped. Unsure how long they'll last (usually around 3 months).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

terrific post, and not just because i agree with everything you say!

a loooong time ago, a poster here posted the EXISTENTIAL QUESTION: "WHO WAS A WORSE ACTOR? GEORGE BRENT OR GEORGE RAFT?" At the time, I was unsure, but now I can tell you NO DOUBT- RAFT all the way. BRENT was handsome when he was younger and actually pretty personable and likeable in plenty of movies early in his career and at least one later on (MY REPUTATION.)

Raft just suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I think his worst work  is in BLACK WIDOW (1956).

I'm a HUGE classic radio fan and I prefer the SUSPENSE HOUR LONG CROSSFIRE EPISODE to the movie. Another really good episode of SUSPENSE is HIGH WALL with ROBERT TAYLOR reprising his role from the movie. (and another is the one with JAMES CAGNEY about a man who wins the "COMMUNITY SAFEST DRIVER OF THE YEAR" award and runs a car off the road on the way to the ceremony, killing everyone inside. (hE THEN KINDA FORGETS TO ALERT THE AUTHORITIES ABOUT IT...)

oops, caps lock

I agree! :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us