Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

5,321 posts in this topic

I really wish they would show THE DESPERATE HOURS (1955?) again on TCM, even better, as a double feature with THE HARDER THEY FALL. They are the two last films BOGART made and I don't think either one gets mentioned enough when people reference his filmography.

The-Desperate-Hours-7.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I really wish they would show THE DESPERATE HOURS (1955?) again on TCM, even better, as a double feature with THE HARDER THEY FALL. They are the two last films BOGART made and I don't think either one gets mentioned enough when people reference his filmography.

The-Desperate-Hours-7.jpg

The Desperate Hours seems to be rarely shown, I don't know why. I own this film on - wait for it ! - videotape. And in fact watched it this past summer. It's a really good film, and as you say, Bogart's penultimate performance. Anyone know if Eddie's ever aired it on Noir Alley?

I liked Eddie's "outro" comments about The Harder They Fall, especially the last couple of minutes or so in which he paid tribute to Bogart. Sometimes with a legend like Humphrey Bogart it's easy to take him for granted and forget how great he really was.

I'd never seen the film before, partly because I hate boxing movies as a rule. So I had it on, but was reading a book. Gradually towards the end I got drawn in. I'll need to watch again to see what I missed. Had I known Jan Sterling was in it, I would've given it a go from the beginning. I can't say I like Rod Steiger. His acting style gets on my nerves, especially here with his rapid fire dialog.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 6:19 PM, Vautrin said:

He was way off the rails, even for an FTN episode. I didn't see the one about the two Asian

sisters. Sounds like an episode of Hoarders.

Last weeks episode was more pedestrian. Could've compressed it to 15 mins. Noise problems again.......I grew up near Cleveland but had never heard of Old Brooklyn. Not sure where in the city it is.

Yeah, it was Hoarders with a murder involved. LOL.

• Like 1

One of the more interesting aspects of The Harder They Fall is Max Bar's participation as Buddy Brannen, the new heavyweight champ who wants to make mince meat of poor Toro. Since the film and Budd Schulberg's book are based on Italian boxer Primo Carnera, Baer is, in fact, playing a mean version of himself in the film since, in real life, he took the title from Carnera in 1933, the difference being that the real Baer wasn't a cold son of a **** like Brannen (also, the mob backed Carnera had the title and Baer was the contender).

It's interesting that two former heavyweight champs, Baer and Jersey Joe Walcott, who played Toro's ring assistant, wanted to participate in a film that was an expose about the criminal element in boxing.

b8eb9bac5d77c63c4853107dad07a711.jpg

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I like The Harder They Fall. I know next to nothing about boxing, but like all good boxing movies, you don't have to know anything about it to get engaged in the film.

Funny, but though I'm a lifelong baseball fan and only marginally interested in real world boxing, I can think of at least 8 or 10 boxing films (plus The Wrestler) I'd gladly watch again, but other than Eight Men Out (which is realistic) and Death on the Diamond (which is so over the top absurd that it's a neverending delight), and maybe the ones with Joe E. Brown, I find nearly every baseball movie either terminally sappy (Field of Dreams, Bang the Drum Slowly, etc.) or at best mildly amusing (It Happens Every Spring).

I have no idea why this is, other than maybe boxing action is so much easier to present on the screen than baseball, or because so few actors are remotely capable of emulating a professional batting swing or pitching motion.  But whatever the reason, I can't think of a single boxing movie that was completely unwatchable, and in fact it might even nice for TCM to devote a day to them just for a change of pace. The Harder They Fall is one of the best, but there are plenty of others that could fill out the schedule.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Last weeks episode was more pedestrian. Could've compressed it to 15 mins. Noise problems again.......I grew up near Cleveland but had never heard of Old Brooklyn. Not sure where in the city it is.

I saw the CLEAVELAND NOISE COMPLAINT onE and agree with you- what is the HOARDER ASIAN SISTER MURDER ONE CALLED? I did not see one that fit that description among the six listed AMONG MY fear thy neighbor OPTIONS FOR THIS SEASON.

Ooops, caps LOCK.

i also watched another one about a GUN NUT in TEXAS who murdered his two neighbors and shot their son through the throat and the daughter lived, that was some HEAVY ****

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

The Desperate Hours seems to be rarely shown, I don't know why. I own this film on - wait for it ! - videotape.

I read the novel on which it was based (cannot for THE LIFE of me recall the name of the author) maaaaaaany years ago and was surprised by how much I really liked it.

If you come across a copy, it's a good read.

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I saw the CLEAVELAND NOISE COMPLAINT onE and agree with you- what is the HOARDER ASIAN SISTER MURDER ONE CALLED? I did not see one that fit that description among the six listed AMONG MY fear thy neighbor OPTIONS FOR THIS SEASON.

Ooops, caps LOCK.

i also watched another one about a GUN NUT in TEXAS who murdered his two neighbors and shot their son through the throat and the daughter lived, that was some HEAVY ****

Yeah, some of the Fear Thy Neighbor episodes can be upsetting. Sometimes multiple people are killed. The Asian Sisters/hoarders wasn't in Fear The Neighbor. It was Twisted Sisters that ran last week, I think. Forget what night it's on. Sometime during the week (wasnt on last night).

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I read the novel on which it was based (cannot for THE LIFE of me recall the name of the author) maaaaaaany years ago and was surprised by how much I really liked it.

If you come across a copy, it's a good read.

I think Joseph Hayes wrote the play? Or Anthony Hayes. Hayes sticks in my mind...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Got some screwballs out in Ohio. Those houses must have been really close together. If I was

the dad I would have put a curfew on my kids, no basketball after 9 or whatever hour would

have worked, but that is no excuse for what the neighbor did. While it would have been a

huge hassle, he should just have moved, unless he was the kind of guy that was going to

get mad about something, no matter what. One of my neighbors has a basketball hoop,

though our houses aren't very close. I think it has been used about five times in the last

five years. 

Yeah, it seemed like the kids dad, didnt know what they were doing half the time or just wasn't there.......Did they every study? Just seemed like a party house. They kept repeating the fireman had to live in the city limits, but it's a big city. Moving would've been better than spending the rest of your life in jail.....

Found out it's on the city's southwest side. Around the Cleveland Zoo. Old neighborhood.

THTF, good entry in The Manly Art of Self Defense noir subgenre. I've seen it three or four

times before, always worth watching. An actor can't pick the last film they will be in but

this was a pretty good one to end on for Bogie. Rod Steiger didn't go too far off the rails,

at least for Rod Steiger. I got a kick out of the scene after the pug died and Rod asks one

of his gofers to get some coffee. Then the guy says how about sandwiches too and sensitive

old Rod has a minor fit and acts like the guy just committed murder. I'm sure some folks would

have liked a ham and cheese at the time.

• Haha 2

I haven't watched Harder They Fall yet, but did DVR it.

But I do love boxing movies.

Gentlemen Jim with Errol Flynn is one of the best (of course, it's Errol!). 

Cinderella Man is excellent.

I suppose there is the original Rocky.  I also saw Creed and that was pretty good. 

I also really enjoyed The Set-Up with Robert Ryan and Audrey Totter.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, it seemed like the kids dad, didnt know what they were doing half the time or just wasn't there.......Did they every study? Just seemed like a party house. They kept repeating the fireman had to live in the city limits, but it's a big city. Moving would've been better than spending the rest of your life in jail.....

Found out it's on the city's southwest side. Around the Cleveland Zoo. Old neighborhood.

I think he was a steelworker so maybe he had some kind of shift work where he wasn't at home

during certain hours. It's hard to tell from an hour long program about the details of their life.

Was it a hard core party house or just a place where kids congregated. The one son did go off

to college so I guess they studied a little bit. 

Did anyone else see some of Ken Burns' Country Music documentary? I have seen the last three episodes (6,7,8), which I thought were very good. Peter Coyote makes an excellent narrator. Episode 6, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" is especially well put together, as it weaves in the effect of the Vietnam War on country music. Among the storylines are Earl Scruggs singing at the March on Washington; Kris Kristofferson's change from West Point instructor to janitor and aspiring songwriter on Music Row; the unexpected success of "Okie From Muskogee"; the emergence of Johnny Cash as someone who tried to draw attention to singers of many different viewpoints; and the success of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in bringing together young musicians and old-line country singers like Maybelle Carter and Roy Acuff.

Episode 8 ends in 1996, with the death of Johnny Cash as a symbol for the end of an era. The mega-success of Garth Brooks and then Shania Twain had the effect of first opening the floodgates for country singers and then, as Harte-Hanks (not named in the documentary) bought up station after station, the powers that be sought out only acts that they thought had the potential for Garth-like success, and the radio stations standardized and rigidly limited their playlists.

You could argue about certain artists being given short shrift (Clint Black, for one) in favor of those who were interviewed, but that is inevitable with this kind of documentary. I enjoyed just about every one of the interviewees. As expected, Dolly Parton's comments are smart and funny, but I was pleasantly surprised at, for instance, the intelligence and sense of irony that Dwight Yoakam showed. If you have any interest in the subject, the documentary is worthwhile. Now I just have to seek out the first five installments.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, kingrat said:

Did anyone else see some of Ken Burns' Country Music documentary? I have seen the last three episodes (6,7,8), which I thought were very good. Peter Coyote makes an excellent narrator. Episode 6, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" is especially well put together, as it weaves in the effect of the Vietnam War on country music. Among the storylines are Earl Scruggs singing at the March on Washington; Kris Kristofferson's change from West Point instructor to janitor and aspiring songwriter on Music Row; the unexpected success of "Okie From Muskogee"; the emergence of Johnny Cash as someone who tried to draw attention to singers of many different viewpoints; and the success of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in bringing together young musicians and old-line country singers like Maybelle Carter and Roy Acuff.

Episode 8 ends in 1996, with the death of Johnny Cash as a symbol for the end of an era. The mega-success of Garth Brooks and then Shania Twain had the effect of first opening the floodgates for country singers and then, as Harte-Hanks (not named in the documentary) bought up station after station, the powers that be sought out only acts that they thought had the potential for Garth-like success, and the radio stations standardized and rigidly limited their playlists.

You could argue about certain artists being given short shrift (Clint Black, for one) in favor of those who were interviewed, but that is inevitable with this kind of documentary. I enjoyed just about every one of the interviewees. As expected, Dolly Parton's comments are smart and funny, but I was pleasantly surprised at, for instance, the intelligence and sense of irony that Dwight Yoakam showed. If you have any interest in the subject, the documentary is worthwhile. Now I just have to seek out the first five installments.

Damn sir, The variety of your knowledge and interests never ceases to amaze me. The works of Nabokov, the detailed history of ANOTHER WORLD, the history of country music- Your dinner parties must rock.

15 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, some of the Fear Thy Neighbor episodes can be upsetting. Sometimes multiple people are killed. The Asian Sisters/hoarders wasn't in Fear The Neighbor. It was Twisted Sisters that ran last week, I think. Forget what night it's on. Sometime during the week (wasnt on last night).

Ah, ok, thanks. 

Just watched most of season six of FEAR THY NEIGHBOR, That show never ceases to make me feel Better about the state of my mental health than anything else. Sad huh? 

As an aside, they ran about 24 promos for ***the FINAL season*** of “Joe Kenda homicide hunter” where he lets his loyal viewers know, “I made the choice to end this. I didn’t want to be the singer who stayed on the stage long after their voice was gone.”

(Eyeroll) Get her. 

Honey, you put in about a week and a half’s worth of work every year standing in front of a gray screen, exploiting real life tragedies in the most self aggrandizing fashion and taking credit for the long work hours *everyone else* put in, acting like every single homicide that has ever been solved has been the result of one dumpy, sourpussed, innately superior old white dude who can see truth and understand THE HUMAN CONDITION  sooo much more than the rest of us, with our slowly firing synapses.

Meanwhile, there are actual cops out there working hard and putting in crazy hours to solve cases just because it’s the right thing to do,  And not so they can have their own brand of Merlot to hock during ads on investigation discovery

Yeah, you’re a real Edith ****in Piaf. Now if you want to do something really constructive, see if you can persuade Paula Zahn to hang it up.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Damn sir, The variety of your knowledge and interests never ceases to amaze me. The works of Nabokov, the detailed history of ANOTHER WORLD, the history of country music- Your dinner parties must rock.

Ah, ok, thanks. 

Just watched most of season six of FEAR THY NEIGHBOR, That show never ceases to make me feel Better about the state of my mental health than anything else. Sad huh? 

As an aside, they ran about 24 promos for ***the FINAL season*** of “Joe Kenda homicide hunter” where he lets his loyal viewers know, “I made the choice to end this. I didn’t want to be the singer who stayed on the stage long after their voice was gone.”

(Eyeroll) Get her. 

Honey, you put in about a week and a half’s worth of work every year standing in front of a gray screen, exploiting real life tragedies in the most self aggrandizing fashion and taking credit for the long work hours *everyone else* put in, acting like every single homicide that has ever been solved has been the result of one dumpy, sourpussed, innately superior old white dude who can see truth and understand THE HUMAN CONDITION  sooo much more than the rest of us, with our slowly firing synapses.

Meanwhile, there are actual cops out there working hard and putting in crazy hours to solve cases just because it’s the right thing to do,  And not so they can have their own brand of Merlot to hock during ads on investigation discovery

Yeah, you’re a real Edith ****in Piaf. Now if you want to do something really constructive, see if you can persuade Paula Zahn to hang it up.

LMREO. I can't stand that guy and never watch that show. SO glad finally going off the air (but am sure will still air reruns!) I can't stand Paula Zahn either and never watch her show (mercifully, it's on hiatus now) Her shows are actually good, I just can't stand her parts in it.......Talk about vaseline on the lens!

What's scary abouty FTN is that you can see stuff like that happening and getting out of control. Noise; Property complaints etc. Why I steer clear of neighbors. I'm a fences make good neighbors type (at least mentally).

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

LMREO. I can't stand that guy and never watch that show. SO glad finally going off the air (but am sure will still air reruns!)

What's scary abouty [FEAR THY NEIGHBOR] is that you can see stuff like that happening and getting out of control. Noise; Property complaints etc. Why I steer clear of neighbors. I'm a fences make good neighbors type (at least mentally).

I KNOW, RIGHT???

i have to be honest, I can also TOTALLY SEE MYSELF losing my **** in a similar "GIT OFF MAH PROPERTAH"  fashion someday.

(i need to date more)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I liked Eddie's "outro" comments about The Harder They Fall, especially the last couple of minutes or so in which he paid tribute to Bogart. Sometimes with a legend like Humphrey Bogart it's easy to take him for granted and forget how great he really was.

it was straight from John Huston's eulogy  for Bogie,i used  the last phrase myself for a friend of mine who died too soon15 years ago.i liked the last phrase we were both young 'He is quite irreplaceable. There will never be another like him.'

Himself, he never took too seriously—his work most seriously. He regarded the somewhat gaudy figure of Bogart, the star, with an amused cynicism; Bogart, the actor, he held in deep respect…In each of the fountains at Versailles there is a pike which keeps all the carp active; otherwise they would grow overfat and die. Bogie took rare delight in performing a similar duty in the fountains of Hollywood. Yet his victims seldom bore him any malice, and when they did, not for long. His shafts were fashioned only to stick into the outer layer of complacency, and not to penetrate through to the regions of the spirit where real injuries are done…He is quite irreplaceable. There will never be another like him.

— from John Huston’s eulogy for Humphrey Bogart

15 hours ago, kingrat said:

it is excellent as everything Ken Burns does on film,i watched it all, I was fascinated by Earl Scruggs who I knew of by name, my knowledge of Bluegrass is minimal,iam a baby boomer with great knowledge in rock,blues,folk but never bought a country record,except the 1st Johnny Cash lp on Sun more rockabilly than country,i agree with what you post,except less Yoakam as is importance and more Waylon Jennings would have been appreciated.As usual Peter Coyote does a great jobas a narrator,he has a marvellous voice,he is now  part of Ken Burns's stock company I would say he did the Vietnam War,Prohibition etc 3 or 4 movie for Burns,Coyote has a lot of gigs as a narrator, his voice embellish every documentary he is narrating.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nakano said:

it was straight from John Huston's eulogy  for Bogie,i used  the last phrase myself for a friend of mine who died too soon15 years ago.i liked the last phrase we were both young 'He is quite irreplaceable. There will never be another like him.'

Himself, he never took too seriously—his work most seriously. He regarded the somewhat gaudy figure of Bogart, the star, with an amused cynicism; Bogart, the actor, he held in deep respect…In each of the fountains at Versailles there is a pike which keeps all the carp active; otherwise they would grow overfat and die. Bogie took rare delight in performing a similar duty in the fountains of Hollywood. Yet his victims seldom bore him any malice, and when they did, not for long. His shafts were fashioned only to stick into the outer layer of complacency, and not to penetrate through to the regions of the spirit where real injuries are done…He is quite irreplaceable. There will never be another like him.

— from John Huston’s eulogy for Humphrey Bogart

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

I just went online to find out what a fountain pike was and all i got was a link to THE STUPIDEST ONLINE ESSAY I HAVE COME ACROSS IN SOME TIME.

Anyone care to explain?

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

I just went online to find out what a fountain pike was and all i got was a link to THE STUPIDEST ONLINE ESSAY I HAVE COME ACROSS IN SOME TIME.

Anyone care to explain?

Image result for european pike

Simple, they use a pike above to keep the populations of carp below to a manageable level.

Image result for european carp

A a pike will chase the carp sort of exercising them and eating the slow ones..... 

• Thanks 1