Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

5,321 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2019 at 5:11 PM, speedracer5 said:

Sorry this is so big, I tried making it smaller.

That's what I used to tell my girlfriends.....

• Haha 8

Getting Back to Trapped, WOW what a pristine restoration! I'll be buying this one if it comes available. I was really impressed. Muller was excellent as usual recounting the sordid details of what can only be titled....

Barbara's Adventures In Noirlywood

I think I'm going to use that to describe all the misadventures in the Hollywood  film business from now on. Thank you Eddie for the inspiration. 😎

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, speedracer5 said:

I also really enjoyed The Set-Up with Robert Ryan and Audrey Totter.

This has probably the most realistic boxing sequences ever. And there is a reason for that. The story was not about a boxing hero where it is essential to emphasize (i.e. overdo it) the exploits, the final bout. In a movie, you can't just depict a run-of-the-mill knockout to end the picture. It has to be "Hollywood" treatment which will separate it any retention of real-live realism. The Set Up is not about a hero but about taking a dive. The boxing sequences may have been relatively unspectacular, but they were very convincing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Getting Back to Trapped, WOW what a pristine restoration! I'll be buying this one if it comes available. I was really impressed. Muller was excellent as usual recounting the sordid details of what can only be titled....

Barbara's Adventures In Noirlywood

I think I'm going to use that to describe all the misadventures in the Hollywood  film business from now on. Thank you Eddie for the inspiration. 😎

I want to read Barbara Payton's ghostwritten autobiography I Am Not Ashamed.  I loved Muller's anecdote about Barbara Stanwyck.  Upon completing the book, Stanwyck said about the title, "she damned well should be." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed watching "Trapped" Saturday night and Sunday morning and Eddie Muller's encyclopedia of knowledge about all things noir.  I forgot Barbara Payton was the chick that Tom Neal and Franchot Tone fought over, which landed Tone in the hospital.  Crazy that he still married her after he got out of the hospital!  It was odd too that when Neal was on trial for murdering his wife, about a decade after his affair with Payton, Tone was a character witness on Neal's behalf!  Very sad ending for Payton (and Neal too, for that matter).

As for the movie, I'd like to see what it looked like before it was restored.  The version shown by TCM was very good.  I wonder if the sound was muddy and the faces of the players were washed out like I remember from "The Front Page".  The versions of the 1931 film must have underwent some kind of restoration, because for the last two or three years, "The Front Page" is much, much more watchable than it was when I first saw it 10 years ago.

The climax of "Trapped" was pretty cool; what a gruesome way for the villain to 'buy it' in the end.

• Like 1

Trapped was a good movie and I recall having seen it quite a while back.  The print and sound quality are very good.   I do think some of the plot contrivances were a little too convenient.  As for the tail near the end, any third rate crook of the day would have known that any time you have two Nash's behind you, you are being tailed by the law.

The most interesting part was Mueller's narration on Barbara Payton's life.  Now, that would be a great movie, especially with today's very limited censorship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, midwestan said:

I enjoyed watching "Trapped" Saturday night and Sunday morning and Eddie Muller's encyclopedia of knowledge about all things noir.  I forgot Barbara Payton was the chick that Tom Neal and Franchot Tone fought over, which landed Tone in the hospital.  Crazy that he still married her after he got out of the hospital!  It was odd too that when Neal was on trial for murdering his wife, about a decade after his affair with Payton, Tone was a character witness on Neal's behalf!  Very sad ending for Payton (and Neal too, for that matter).

Then after the marriage, Payton and Tone weren't even married for 2 months! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like how Lloyd Bridges was almost a chain gum chewer in this. Nice change from the usual cigarettes.

• Like 1

Trapped turned out to be a real find. Excellent restoration. Loved all the location shots of L.A. There were some nice little twists along the way, and Eddie Muller explained the reason for the problematic area of the script. Nicely directed by Richard Fleisher. Lloyd Bridges is mighty good, and Barbara Payton certainly has what it takes to be a noir dame.

I'll be interested next week to hear why Eddie considers Clash by Night to be noir.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kingrat said:

Trapped turned out to be a real find. Excellent restoration. Loved all the location shots of L.A. There were some nice little twists along the way, and Eddie Muller explained the reason for the problematic area of the script. Nicely directed by Richard Fleisher. Lloyd Bridges is mighty good, and Barbara Payton certainly has what it takes to be a noir dame.

I'll be interested next week to hear why Eddie considers Clash by Night to be noir.

I always try to watch Clash By Night because I love the cast and want to like the film. I can never get into it. I’m going to give Muller a chance though and see if there’s something I’m missing. 

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I always try to watch Clash By Night because I love the cast and want to like the film. I can never get into it. I’m going to give Muller a chance though and see if there’s something missing. 

I find the stylized Clifford Odets dialogue to be off-putting. We seem to feel the same way about the film. With that cast and Fritz Lang as director, Clash by Night ought to be really good.

TRAPPED (1949)

I really enjoyed it.  I admit that Bridges disappearance does create a shift, but I also see it as an interesting twist - at least structurally.  I admit that the having Sylvester (James Todd) be the vanquished villain was lacking, but it was still a decent idea for an On-The-Fly turn of events due to Bridges' illness.  I have to admit that my favorite part of the film, and the aspect that may lead to me purchasing this little gem, was John Hoyt.  His performance was good, but just the fact that he was playing against his typecasting thrilled me. LOL

OKAY TCM FANS LOONEY HAS A TCM PROBLEM.  

It looks like I will very soon, as in possibly later this week, be canceling Sling TV.  I believe I've stated before that I only have Sling TV for certain channels and Sling has been forced to drop ALL of those channels, except TCM.  I can't justify spending thirty dollars a month just to have TCM and Sling has no intention of dropping their rates.  It is ridiculous.  They have lost most of their sports networks and they refuse to lower the price of having the sports networks package.  (BTW, this isn't just me watching. The sports are mostly for someone else to watch, but I can't justify thirty dollars monthly just so I can watch TCM.)

I refuse to go back to Cable or Dish.

Who can tell me some alternatives so, at a minimum, I don't miss any Noir Alley episodes?

And does anyone know another thread I should mention this in that might garner more responses from knowledgeable TCM fans?  (Not that fans in this thread aren't knowledgeable.  I am just trying to get as many responses as possible.)

On 10/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, cigarjoe said:

This one is great until Lloyd Bridges leaves the film then it loses some steam.

Eddie's outro mentions that the actor (James Todd?),   whose bad-guy character dominates the action after Bridges leaves,  just didn't have much appeal and this causes the film to lose some steam.

Another reason is that while the character was featured in earlier scenes he didn't dominate these either.    If an actor with some noir creed had been cast in the role,  once Bridges leaves the film,  having an actor like that re-appearing and being the center of attention until the conclusion would have packed a bigger punch.

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Eddie's outro mentions that the actor (James Todd?),   whose bad-guy character dominates the action after Bridges leaves,  just didn't have much appeal and this causes the film to lose some steam.

Another reason is that while the character was featured in earlier scenes he didn't dominate these either.    If an actor with some noir creed had been cast in the role,  once Bridges leaves the film,  having an actor like that re-appearing and being the center of attention until the conclusion would have packed a bigger punch.

Yea true. Burr, Tuffs, Conrad, Crawford, McGraw, any would have done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I want to read Barbara Payton's ghostwritten autobiography I Am Not Ashamed. 

Yeh, bad girl Barbara Payton got around and she wasn't ashamed but could she have handled Godzilla? That's what I wanna know!

Err, maybe I've spent too much time on another thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Looney said:

TRAPPED (1949)

I really enjoyed it.  I admit that Bridges disappearance does create a shift, but I also see it as an interesting twist - at least structurally.  I admit that the having Sylvester (James Todd) be the vanquished villain was lacking, but it was still a decent idea for an On-The-Fly turn of events due to Bridges' illness.  I have to admit that my favorite part of the film, and the aspect that may lead to me purchasing this little gem, was John Hoyt.  His performance was good, but just the fact that he was playing against his typecasting thrilled me. LOL

It looks like I will very soon, as in possibly later this week, be canceling Sling TV.  I believe I've stated before that I only have Sling TV for certain channels and Sling has been forced to drop ALL of those channels, except TCM.  I can't justify spending thirty dollars a month just to have TCM and Sling has no intention of dropping their rates.  It is ridiculous.  They have lost most of their sports networks and they refuse to lower the price of having the sports networks package.  (BTW, this isn't just me watching. The sports are mostly for someone else to watch, but I can't justify thirty dollars monthly just so I can watch TCM.)

Who can tell me some alternatives so, at a minimum, I don't miss any Noir Alley episodes?

And does anyone know another thread I should mention this in that might garner more responses from knowledgeable TCM fans?  (Not that fans in this thread aren't knowledgeable.  I am just trying to get as many responses as possible.)

Once a month, Cord Cutters News compares the big name streaming services. Most of the services with live TV are about $50/month. Watch TV (AT&T) is $15/month and has TCM. No sports. I believe Fubo TV has the most sports and a high cost.

It is sad. I know you are a serious Noir Alley fan.

Here is the link.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/youtube-tv-vs-playstation-vue-vs-hulu-vs-sling-tv-vs-philo-vs-fubotv-vs-watch-tv-vs-att-tv-now-updated-october-2019/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Looney said:

TRAPPED (1949)

I know Hulu offers TCM. Get with Lorna. He uses Hulu to access TCM. 

55 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I know Hulu offers TCM. Get with Lorna. He uses Hulu to access TCM. 

REALLY?!  I already have HULU, but I've never seen any mention.  I will investigate immediately. THANKS and thanks Dr. Somnabula for the Cord Cutters link. 👍

18 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Like how Lloyd Bridges was almost a chain gum chewer in this. Nice change from the usual cigarettes.

I kept looking for a reason for that, but never noticed one.

16 hours ago, Looney said:

I would start a specific thread in order to get the most information.

18 hours ago, Looney said:

but I can't justify thirty dollars monthly just so I can watch TCM.)

A dollar a day ...

...or...

...find a way to economize in small ways. Even if you are only partially successful, it will reduce that $30 to maybe $15 or $20.

I used to go to my fave pot pie place every week ($40), now I only every two weeks ($20). Eschew just one latte a month at Starbucks, that's $4-5 right there.

If you like TCM enough, you may be able to wrangle a deal with yourself.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Looney said:

REALLY?!  I already have HULU, but I've never seen any mention.  I will investigate immediately. THANKS and thanks Dr. Somnabula for the Cord Cutters link. 👍

You're welcome. There is Hulu, then Hulu with live TV. Their website spells it out pretty well.

• Thanks 1

One of Barbara Payton's most famous quotes (when asked if she wanted to enter detox) was:  "I'd rather drink and die." Doesn't get much more noir than that.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Joe Gillis said:

One of Barbara Payton's most famous quotes (when asked if she wanted to enter detox) was:  "I'd rather drink and die." Doesn't get much more noir than that.

LOL. She led a terrible life. I read that bio of her that came out about 10 yrs ago. Just awful.

23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I want to read Barbara Payton's ghostwritten autobiography I Am Not Ashamed.  I loved Muller's anecdote about Barbara Stanwyck.  Upon completing the book, Stanwyck said about the title, "she damned well should be." 

You'd be better off reading the bio that came out around 10 yrs ago from Bear Manor Media. Her ghostwritten bio was pretty bad from what I've read. 

I thought I'd seen this before, but I hadn't. I guess there are more counterfeit noirs than I thought! I must've been thinking of T Men. Enjoyed this, although it was odd Bridges left the film 3/4 of the way through, it added to the film's quirks. Payton was better than expected and was nice to see Hoyt as a good guy! Were enough plot twists to keep me interested. For those interested, check out the Payton bio: Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye: the Barbara Payton Story by John O'Dowd.

• Thanks 2