Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

5,321 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Looney said:

CLASH BY NIGHT (1952)

That is one hell of a good script.  I mean some seriously great dialogue and acting, but what the hell happened at the end?  Was it suggesting she take the kid and go or that he was just going to live with never trusting her again?  I watched the ending twice and I still don't quite get it.

I am starting to find it odd how many female characters in movies are exactly like Mae Doyle (Stanwyck).  It felt like the script is a rehash of sooooooooo many similar stories - not the dialogue though, it was superb.  I can only assume it was meant to appeal to female audience members who felt trapped in lives they chose for security rather than real love and passion.  I don't even know what I am trying to say.   I think part of the problem is an overall issue with stories where the heroine falls for the wrong kind of guy.  I mean hundreds and hundreds of movies where she is going to choose the wrong guy for better or worse.  Even the ones that have happy endings you know that you could probably logically predict in reality they would not have happy endings in the long run. LOL :lol:

Another factor might be that I may have met my own Mae Doyle recently and it is driving me crazy.  I'm worried she would settle for me and I'd gladly accept that burden and torture.  :rolleyes:

When watching a classic-type movie that involves a tense relationship between spouses who come to the painful conclusion that maybe, just maybe, they made a big mistake when they signed their marriage certificate, you have to keep the omnipresent "Production Code" in mind.  Even though there are tons of movies that address the issue of divorce or infidelity from one or both of the principle characters, it always seems to point out that divorce really isn't kosher, because one or sometimes both people in the broken romance gets an unhappy ending.  If kids are involved, it increases the 'dour meter readings' as it pertains to the familial relationships dynamic.  If the sparring couple comes to the realization that their marriage is worth saving, whether children are involved or not, it's better to try and take the relationship in a new direction that's beneficial to both parties.  If not, storylines may conclude with an open-ended scenario that might make the audience wonder, "Was it all worth it in the end?".  I guess ultimately, couples who see their relationships go through rocky times really need to just sit down and discuss their problems calmly so they can determine what's best for them as individuals and as a couple.  Sometimes the changes you make to sacrifice your individual desires will make you more joyful as a result, or conversely, more miserable, so choose wisely, as the saying goes.

And I get your point about the heroine falling for the wrong guy.  My pals and I in college were astounded at how poorly attractive-looking co-eds were treated by their boyfriends, yet they stuck to these guys like glue!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, midwestan said:

And I get your point about the heroine falling for the wrong guy.  My pals and I in college were astounded at how poorly attractive-looking co-eds were treated by their boyfriends, yet they stuck to these guys like glue!

Reg above: Wanna be bad girls like bad guys. 

 

But in Clash By Night Stanwyck's Mae didn't come off believable. She didn't act like a mother. Didn't have that brave mothering instinct on display. It just seems weird that she was acting as if there was no baby. It just seams that no matter what drama was going on in her life that mothering instinct should be there. If not it's unnatural. It made the dynamics of every thing else in the depictions of the relationships off.  Does that seem like a fault to anybody else?  

It bothers me in that respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 4:03 PM, Vautrin said:

Based on ID's past doings, I'll believe it when I see it, though I will tune in. One good

thing about ID is that they usually repeat the prime time shows later in the night, so if

something else is on in prime time one can still watch the ID show later in the evening.

Lynn Bari and Virginia Huston are both attractive, but I found that loud mouth maid

sexier.

 

 

SPOILER:  Who did Raft and boys find hanging in the apartment?  Was that the loud mouth maid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

SPOILER:  Who did Raft and boys find hanging in the apartment?  Was that the loud mouth maid?

image.jpeg.b9cabf39dfeec4fa86cdb6cf8bf818a3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

SPOILER:  Who did Raft and boys find hanging in the apartment?  Was that the loud mouth maid?

She was beaten up but I don't think she ended up hanging in the apartment. If she did,

she certainly deserved a better fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Crime/Noir Night tonight

Dillinger (1945)
7:45 PM

Detour (1945)
9:30 PM

Set-Up, The (1949)
11:00 PM

Big Steal, The (1949)
12:17 AM

Narrow Margin, The (1952)
3:15 AM

Hoodlum, The (1951)
4:18 AM

Threat, The (1949)
5:45 AM

Journey Into Fear (1942)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is in the DC-area at the Noir City festival in Silver Spring, hope you're enjoying it as much as I am!  Eddie Mueller did an intro to tonight's showing of The City That Never Sleeps.  A genuine thrill to meet him. Much more to go!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, overeasy said:

If anyone is in the DC-area at the Noir City festival in Silver Spring, hope you're enjoying it as much as I am!  Eddie Mueller did an intro to tonight's showing of The City That Never Sleeps.  A genuine thrill to meet him. Much more to go!

I hope this isn’t too personal, but how does the noir festival work? Do you buy a pass and see the films? Do you have to pay for each film?? Is the festival expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do it as a pass for the entire festival, or per movie.  I chose the later.  Not expensive at all.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, overeasy said:

You can do it as a pass for the entire festival, or per movie.  I chose the later.  Not expensive at all.

Awesome! I am considering possibly San Francisco, Seattle or Hollywood next year.  I would probably go with my husband.  I'll have to see what hotels and flights would cost.  I'd probably drive to Seattle or fly to either of the California locales. I don't see prices posted on the Noir City Film Festival page yet.  There's something my husband also wants to do in Seattle next year--it'd be highly convenient if they were at the same time. But I doubt it. 

So many places I want to go, so much $$ that would have to be saved... Ugh! I also really want to visit San Diego and we're possibly planning Hawaii in a couple of years.

EDDIE MULLER: If you're reading this... Portland, OR would be a great place to hold a Noir Festival.  ::Wink:: ::Wink::

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been just great fun. Nothing like seeing a bunch of movies with others who love the same stuff! Eddie was great, too. The Silver Theater staff have been great, too.  Wonderful venue.  Might do the Detroit one next time...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, overeasy said:

It's been just great fun. Nothing like seeing a bunch of movies with others who love the same stuff! Eddie was great, too. The Silver Theater staff have been great, too.  Wonderful venue.  Might do the Detroit one next time...

Did you have to buy your tix ahead of time? The shows I want to go to don’t seem to be on sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, overeasy said:

If anyone is in the DC-area at the Noir City festival in Silver Spring, hope you're enjoying it as much as I am!  Eddie Mueller did an intro to tonight's showing of The City That Never Sleeps.  A genuine thrill to meet him. Much more to go!

I was at that screening tonight! I didn't try to talk to Eddie, but tomorrow or Sunday I do mean to ask him some things about Underworld USA...in light of the things he said about Pickup on South Street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume This Gun for Hire is the Noir Alley selection for Oct. 19.  I purchased the DVD several years ago and watched it once.  May have to pull it out and watch it again, but I just didn't get much out of it.  Seems to drag a lot.  There are other Noir/mystery movies with Ladd and/or Lake that I do like, but not this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like most of the Ladd/Lake Noirs if I had to pick one it would also be Blue Dahlia. My favorite Ladd Noir is Appointment with Danger with no Lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Awesome! I am considering possibly San Francisco, Seattle or Hollywood next year.  I would probably go with my husband.  I'll have to see what hotels and flights would cost.  I'd probably drive to Seattle or fly to either of the California locales. I don't see prices posted on the Noir City Film Festival page yet.  There's something my husband also wants to do in Seattle next year--it'd be highly convenient if they were at the same time. But I doubt it. 

So many places I want to go, so much $$ that would have to be saved... Ugh! I also really want to visit San Diego and we're possibly planning Hawaii in a couple of years.

EDDIE MULLER: If you're reading this... Portland, OR would be a great place to hold a Noir Festival.  ::Wink:: ::Wink::

Speedy, you might also consider Palm Springs in May. It's four days--Thursday evening through Sunday midday. You could fly to PS, or you could also check fares to LAX and Ontario and then rent a car. You can buy individual tickets for the movies, or a pass for about a hundred dollars. I've done it a couple of times when the movies appealed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Speedy, you might also consider Palm Springs in May. It's four days--Thursday evening through Sunday midday. You could fly to PS, or you could also check fares to LAX and Ontario and then rent a car. You can buy individual tickets for the movies, or a pass for about a hundred dollars. I've done it a couple of times when the movies appealed.

That’s a great idea too! I’ve always wanted to go to Palm Springs. I’ve only driven through there. $100 is also a great deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well went and retrieved my old first review of This Gun For Hire and here was my initial impression:

This Gun For Hire (1942) Directed by Frank Tuttle, with Veronica Lake, Robert Preston, Laird Cregar, and Alan Ladd. This one was hit & miss, the two opening sequences with hit man Alan Ladd (in his debut) are excellent the boarding house intro & his first hit (you won't recognize him at first), and over the top heavy Laird Cregar as sleazy chemical plant owner by day Neptune Night Club owner by night is very entertaining. Robert Preston seems to be phoning it in and the patriotic anti **** War theme comes off very dated & heavy handed nowadays.  6.5/10

TCM and Eddie Muller's Film Noir Foundation provided a beautiful restored print for Noir Alley of This Gun For Hire last evening a lot of picture details that the old avi file I had of the film lacked were interesting to see. I will up my rating to 7/10.

Note Eddie in his intro tells us that Ladd was one of the very first anti-heroes to come out of Hollywood. 

PS. Anybody perchance recognize that sequence with the long pedestrian walkway over the rail yards where Ladd is running from the cops, was used again in a similar sequence in Neo Noir To Live And Die in L.A. (1985). Anybody from Los Angeles know whether or not it's still there?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerning the pedestrian overpass did some googling came up with a possibility for the location. See below

Image is looking north west from spring towards Broadway

Pedestrian Bridge

"When we visited Chinatown we would often visit the Southern Pacific Yard just southeast of Broadway.  The yard was known as both the Bull Ring (east end) and Corn Field (west end).  At the time we visited there was a wooden pedestrian bridge across the yard from North Broadway to North Spring Street.  Here is a shot of my sister and I on the bridge"

mortans04.jpg


"According to various sources, the yard on the north side of the ladder track was Cornfield yard. The yard lying south of the ladder track was Bull Ring yard. The footbridge crossed a portion of Cornfield yard and a portion of Bull Ring yard.

Bridge is the thin black line in center of aerial photo

00032359.jpg

Pedestrian Bridge

Screen cap below from un-restored print of film, looks pristine in restored print

5800199908_ce93fe5e10_o.jpg

Today the rail yard is gone it's now a park below the bridge site was approximately at red line 

Ou8RZdJ.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 7:18 PM, Looney said:

Okay so just to add to what I already started.  I can't really justify even a dollar a day for a streaming service just to access TCM.  I am already paying for, HULUPLUS, Netflix Streaming AND DVD service, Amazon Prime, MLBTV, on top of $30 a month for Sling.  That is also why all of the options people have given me are not panning out so far.  They are even more expensive than Sling and for instance Hulu Live doesn't have any sports.  Like I said, it isn't just me watching.  If it were just me I wouldn't worry about the sports and put the MLB money into Sling. LOL  

Didn't I read somewhere you can get TCM on Sling for an extra $5 a month, for a total of $35?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Concerning the pedestrian overpass did some googling came up with a possibility for the location. See below

Image is looking north west from spring towards Broadway

Pedestrian Bridge

"When we visited Chinatown we would often visit the Southern Pacific Yard just southeast of Broadway.  The yard was known as both the Bull Ring (east end) and Corn Field (west end).  At the time we visited there was a wooden pedestrian bridge across the yard from North Broadway to North Spring Street.  Here is a shot of my sister and I on the bridge"

mortans04.jpg


"According to various sources, the yard on the north side of the ladder track was Cornfield yard. The yard lying south of the ladder track was Bull Ring yard. The footbridge crossed a portion of Cornfield yard and a portion of Bull Ring yard.

Bridge is the thin black line in center of aerial photo

00032359.jpg

Pedestrian Bridge

Screen cap below from un-restored print of film, looks pristine in restored print

5800199908_ce93fe5e10_o.jpg

Today the rail yard is gone it's now a park below the bridge site was approximately at red line 

Ou8RZdJ.jpg

Wow, CJ! Gotta say you've done a great job in researching this L.A. R/R bridge thing here! Especially liked that pic of you and your sister on it as little kids.

Yep, not bad for a N.Y. boy!

(...now, this ol' L.A. boy here might have helped you with this but ya see, when I was that age and whenever MY parents wanted me out of their hair, they'd tell ME to "go play on the freeway", and 'cause that old rail yard was about 15 miles away from where we lived and the then newly-completed 405 was just a half a mile or so down the road) ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow, CJ! Gotta say you've done a great job in researching this L.A. R/R bridge thing here! Especially liked that pic of you and your sister on it as little kids.

No, that ain't me it was a "" quote from a RR fan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

No, that ain't me it was a "" quote from a RR fan

Ah! Thanks.

Still though, where did YOUR parents tell you to "go play" when they wanted YOU out of their hair, huh?!

(...what?...maybe on that old elevated line in your neighborhood back there???) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Still though, where did YOUR parents tell you to "go play" when they wanted YOU out of their hair, huh?!

At LaGuardia Airport, could ride my bike there or at the dumps.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 9:35 PM, overeasy said:

If anyone is in the DC-area at the Noir City festival in Silver Spring, hope you're enjoying it as much as I am!  Eddie Mueller did an intro to tonight's showing of The City That Never Sleeps.  A genuine thrill to meet him. Much more to go!

I was there from Thursday-Saturday.  An amazing bit of movie watching with great intros by Eddie Mueller.  He is a genuinely genuine guy, who brings his love of these movies to the fore. It's just so thrilling to watch these classic films on the big screen, as was originally intended.  It's an entirely different experience than watching them on a TV, no matter how large your screen is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us