Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

715 posts in this topic

also tangentially related, there is apparently a double edition Criterion DVD of the 1946 film THE KILLERS and its later "Ronald Reagan Remake" (which i have never seen.)

(damn, it wont let me post the cover image.)

Great time. I'll be sleeping the sleep of the innocent at 10 a.m.

Sunday and I'll be missing that repetitive bore at the same time.

Sweet. :)

At 10 AM, I'm right in the middle of a spinning class, and I don't get home until after 2.  Why can't they run this stuff later Sunday afternoon?

At 10 AM, I'm right in the middle of a spinning class, and I don't get home until after 2.  Why can't they run this stuff later Sunday afternoon?

you've got DVR, yes?

i used to gripe about them scheduling stuff at bad times, but then i figured mine out and it's pretty cool.

it's basically a VCR in your TV that never spits the tape out.

you've got DVR, yes?

i used to gripe about them scheduling stuff at bad times, but then i figured mine out and it's pretty cool.

it's basically a VCR in your TV that never spits the tape out.

Don't have one. Too complicated for me.

• Like 1

Lorna, I add my voice to the others here who've recommended He Walked By Night. I mean, aside from anything else, ya gotta love that title.

It is, however, as someone ( sorry to not give credit to them, I don't want to take the time to scroll back and check who it was)  here said, more what is called a "police procedural" than a noir. Still, it has many noirish elements, including beautiful b &  w cinematography  (ok, hardly unique to this film) and deliciously dark and mysterious settings, including a finale that precedes the one in The Third Man.  

Yikes, hope that isn't a spoiler of sorts.

Also, anything starring Richard Basehart is worth a look.  I don't know why this actor isn't more well-known....he certainly deserves to be. (anyone seen the lovely and heartbreaking La Strada ?)

Here's a wonderful shot from HWBN  - just look at those venetian blind shadows !  And Basehart's face.

hewalkedbynight21zw.jpg

By the way, Richard Basehart's in another noir coming up in this program: Tension. I don't want to say too much about it, in case you haven't seen it. But it's really good. It's about a pharmacist, a bad marriage, and a secret identity. Plus, how can you go wrong with Audrey Totter?  She's got such a fun line in this film:

"Well, baby, we're all laughed out !"  

Actually, going slightly off-topic here:  I love Audrey Totter. She's got such a tough, mean, yet sexy demeanour   (sorry couldn't resist.)  But here's the thing - I think she's funny ! She always makes me laugh. And I don't think it's unintentional on Audrey's part. Her face is not only pretty, it's very expressive, as is her voice. I think she uses these qualities to comic effect sometimes. Just look at her in the heroic but unsuccessful Lady in the Lake: she's hilarious !

Anyway, I recommend Tension; great fun,  - oh, Cyd Charisse is in it too, sans dancing. And Basehart looks  good in nerdy glasses.

• Like 1

the primary thing i recall about RICHARD BASEHART is that Gypsy from Mystery Science Theater had such a crush on him.

oh, and the LA LAW thing...

L.A. Law had Richard Dysart. Richard Basehart was dead a couple of years before Law premiered.

Basehart

richard3.jpg

Dysart

richard-dysart-2.9.jpg

• Like 1

Don't have one. Too complicated for me.

I use a DVD recorder, which is no longer available.  When it fails, I will go to DVR I guess.  

Of course the DVR just increases the already high cable bill.

I like being able to make a permanent DVD that I can play whenever and wherever I want.

Also, can use DVD-RW for a very long time before it "wears out."

• Like 1

L.A. Law had Richard Dysart. Richard Basehart was dead a couple of years before Law premiered.

Basehart

richard3.jpg

Dysart

richard-dysart-2.9.jpg

Coincidentally, both Richard Dysart and Richard Basehart had supporting roles in BEING THERE (1979).

• Like 2

oh snap!

i hang my head in shame!

thanks for the correction.

(shame)

No need for shame.

I always recall the difference as Basehart pretended to bounce around a plastic toy submarine for several years, while Dysart had his arms bitten off by The Thing. :D

• Like 1

Coincidentally, both Richard Dysart and Richard Basehart had supporting roles in BEING THERE (1979).

Yeah, and I think Dysart once played one of the guest monsters on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea too.

(...but you'd have to ask NipkowDisc if I'm right about this)

;)

By the way, Richard Basehart's in another noir coming up in this program: Tension. I don't want to say too much about it, in case you haven't seen it. But it's really good. It's about a pharmacist, a bad marriage, and a secret identity. Plus, how can you go wrong with Audrey Totter?  She's got such a fun line in this film:

"Well, baby, we're all laughed out !"  

Actually, going slightly off-topic here:  I love Audrey Totter. She's got such a tough, mean, yet sexy demeanour   (sorry couldn't resist.)  But here's the thing - I think she's funny ! She always makes me laugh. And I don't think it's unintentional on Audrey's part. Her face is not only pretty, it's very expressive, as is her voice. I think she uses these qualities to comic effect sometimes. Just look at her in the heroic but unsuccessful Lady in the Lake: she's hilarious !

Anyway, I recommend Tension; great fun,  - oh, Cyd Charisse is in it too, sans dancing. And Basehart looks  good in nerdy glasses.

Thanks for the tip on Tension.   I have only seen clips of this film (e.g. a beach scene with Totter,  Basehart and some other actor who I believe was Totter's new playmate) and that peaked my interest.    

Look forward to crossing this one off my list.

Basehart

richard3.jpg

Dysart

richard-dysart-2.9.jpg

Lawrence, I don't know what image of Richard Dysart you selected to post here, but when I click it, it comes up "Forbidden".

I found another pic of him - hopefully this one will be "allowed".

richard_a_dysart.jpg

Richard Dysart  ( I think)

Hmm, not sure why this gentleman would be crush-worthy. However, we are all entitled to swoon over whomever we wish.

Lawrence, I don't know what image of Richard Dysart you selected to post here, but when I click it, it comes up "Forbidden".

I found another pic of him - hopefully this one will be "allowed".

richard_a_dysart.jpg

Richard Dysart  ( I think)

Hmm, not sure why this gentleman would be crush-worthy. However, we are all entitled to swoon over whomever we wish.

My pic shows up fine for me. It's very similar to the one you posted. It's probably a browser issue, or maybe one of those pesky Canadian restrictions. 

I don't think anyone said Dysart was swoon-worthy. It was Basehart that the MST3K person was swooning over.

Maybe it's one of those against the grain programming decisions.

Running dark depressing flicks on a sunny Sunday morning instead

of one a.m. at night. There are tons of these movies on YT, all

without verbal commentary. 

Maybe it's one of those against the grain programming decisions.

Running dark depressing flicks on a sunny Sunday morning instead

of one a.m. at night. There are tons of these movies on YT, all

without verbal commentary. 

Maybe it's me, but I don't find film noir movies depressing. In fact, I find most of them utterly entertaining, and sometimes even downright fun. 

Maybe it's me, but I don't find film noir movies depressing. In fact, I find most of them utterly entertaining, and sometimes even downright fun. 

I literally CANNOT think of or watch the ending of KISS ME DEADLY and not be utterly elated.

it tickles me thoroughly.

cinematic anti-depressant.

I literally CANNOT think of or watch the ending of KISS ME DEADLY and not be utterly elated.

it tickles me thoroughly.

cinematic anti-depressant.

SPOILER

Ok, ok, smarty-pants. There's always exceptions to everything. Nobody enjoys the idea of a nuclear bomb going off on a California beach.   ( Or anywhere, for that matter.) But hey, you have to admit that that nosey chick kind of deserved what she got - - it's just too bad everyone else had to be vapourized along with her.

...or maybe not. 

Nah, I guess you can hardly accuse Kiss Me Deadly of having an ambiguous ending. And, yup, a depressing one.