Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

2,255 posts in this topic

I KNOW, RIGHT?

SPOILERS IN RE: THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

THE reason that I do not like this film is due in large part to my first viewing of it, knowing next to nothing about it other than GG won her Oscar for it (and by this time I had seen her in enough other things (including THE BIG HEAT) to like her a lot.) and the movie unfolds she has the most uninteresting role of her career, maybe three scenes of expository dialogue, and then her character dies in a plane crash and the whole time i watched it, i kept thinking "okay, but she lived right? I mean, she comes back at the end all scarred and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and shoots Kirk Douglas in the face or something, right? I mean, she won the Oscar for this, there's no way she was in this thing for 15 minutes of nothing then died and WON an OSCAR for THAT?!

But she did...and it does a disservice to Gloria and her costar Lana Turner who- even though I don't like her in 97% of everything else she's in- totally should have won Best Supporting Actress for THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, she's that good in the film, but Lana would've sooner eaten dirt than won supporting..

Hollywood is always impressed by accents. I'm wondering if they gave it to Gloria for the B and the B because of that little ol' Southern accent she did in the film. Wasn't she supposed to be from Virginia or somewhere? Dick Powell is supposed to be enamoured with her because she's a Southern belle? or something?

Lorna, you're probably a better judge than I am of the authenticity of Gloria's accent.

Still, I agree, her role as the charming Rosemary does not really seem to be enough to merit an Oscar win, not even for supporting.

Hollywood is always impressed by accents. I'm wondering if they gave it to Gloria for the B and the B because of that little ol' Southern accent she did in the film. Wasn't she supposed to be from Virginia or somewhere? Dick Powell is supposed to be enamoured with her because she's a Southern belle? or something?

Lorna, you're probably a better judge than I am of the authenticity of Gloria's accent.

Still, I agree, her role as the charming Rosemary does not really seem to be enough to merit an Oscar win, not even for supporting.

Yes, exactly, she's playing a Virginian Southern belle.

Here are my some of my thoughts on Framed, which was featured on Noir Alley back in September.  I meant to post them earlier.

Framed (1947) is an enjoyable B movie noir with a few interesting twists.  Glenn Ford, coming off Gilda, plays a boozing, unemployed mining engineer who drifts to a small town looking for work.  He stops in a cafe, and that's where Janis Carter, working as a barmaid, sizes him up as the perfect patsy for an embezzling scheme her boyfriend (Barry Sullivan) is planning to pull off. Janis Carter is very good as the sharp as a tack femme fatale.  Carter's face can instantly turn from welcoming to predatory, with liquid, all-seeing eyes.  Whenever Ford's character starts wising up to her motives, she concocts a story to placate him.  She's got all the angles covered, except developing feelings for him.

Framed is not as stylish as some of the better-known noirs.  But the performances are noteworthy, including Barry Sullivan as the crooked bank executive, and Edgar Buchanan as a good-hearted miner who ultimately becomes the fall guy. Ford brings his customary world weariness, toughness and vulnerability. As for Ms. Carter, some reviews I've read praised her portrayal, while others were not so kind, calling it wooden and lacking subtlety.  I'm in the former camp, wishing her career included more roles like this.

Director Richard Wallace did a fine job maintaining the suspense, and makes the most of what Columbia Pictures wanted to spend. I liked this film alot.

• Like 4

Hollywood is always impressed by accents. I'm wondering if they gave it to Gloria [GRAHAME IN THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL] WAS because of that little ol' Southern accent she did in the film. Wasn't she supposed to be from Virginia or somewhere? Dick Powell is supposed to be enamoured with her because she's a Southern belle? or something?

sorry, i'm just now seeing this. yeah, there's a hint of an accent, but it's kinda a Debra Winger/SHADOWLANDS deal where the attempt pretty much ends after the first scene, the authenticity of said fleeting accent i can't speak to from recollection, but of the two dozen or so lines she has in the movie, most are of the "I've got to get packing" and "what's that over there?" level of "juicy."

IN OTHER WORDS, i don't even think Vivien Leigh after a month in Georgia and at her most luminous could do much with the part.

• Like 1

Great film today, and nice intro and outro by Eddie.

Are you talking about the film Raw Deal?      (too early for me being on the west coast).

But I have seen the film before and I like it.    The only thing I wished is that the Trevor character gave the Hunt character a good whooping.   I found the Hunt character to be annoying (but yea, that was intentional) and was somewhat hoping that Trevor would have taken her out (but then we wouldn't have the Trevor's ending speech,  which really summed up the theme of the film since it is Trevor that got the rawest end of the raw deal).

• Like 1

Are you talking about the film Raw Deal?      (too early for me being on the west coast).

Yes.

On 10/22/2017 at 3:27 PM, cigarjoe said:

Yes.

So far the this new format is a raw deal and I feel like I'm stuck in a noir film.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm looking forward to Strange Love of Martha Ivers which I've seen several times but I want to see Eddie's take on it.  But, when you enter the TCM web site at the top where they have four monthly highlights, they show another noir film for October 29 at 10AM yet MARTHA IVERS is still on the schedule.  Not sure what's going on there but I'm hoping for MARTHA.

Christine,

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers replaced the film No Questions Asked on the Noir Alley schedule for Oct. 29 sometime back in July, so I suspect you found an old web page.  There's also a promo for Martha as tomorrow's film on the Noir Alley facebook page, so I think it's good to go.

Also some trivia - last Sunday Eddie teased tomorrow's film with a quote saying it was "a stealthy plot of murder, false witness, assault, lust, perfidy and tender love."  I found this quote on the internet attributed to a Time magazine review of Martha Ivers, so that provides additional confirmation for what it's worth.

• Thanks 1

So what do you think the subtext status was of Lizabeth Scott in this film, she's thrown out of her boarding house, she shares a connecting room with Heflin at the hotel, the headlines in the paper are pointedly zoomed in on, so, is she a wayward gal, neighboring town round heels, amateur hooker with a heart of gold, or what?

When she sets up Heflin, it was all a police ruse, I'd assume, the guy at the restaurant calls her his wife, but Heflin never asks her about it and Scott never volunteers any info.

Anybody ever read  the short story "Love Lies Bleeding" by playwright John Patrick that the film was based on?

cigarjoe,

Sorry I haven’t read the short story you reference.  I do agree the film was somewhat ambiguous as to Antonia’s past.  She did tell the story about the mink coat - if what she said is true then she was not aware that the coat was stolen when she tried to pawn it, and based on that got caught up in the system (which in turn led to her being exploited by the people in power).

I guess I’m an undying optimist because I would like to believe what she said.  I was very moved by Lizabeth Scott’s performance (and Van Heflin was amazing as well).  After seeing several dark films on Noir Alley I was a little surprised that Van Heflin’s Sam turned out to be such a good guy.  And that’s another reason why I enjoyed the film so much.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

For anyone who may be interested, Shout Factory has just announced a two-title Blu Ray release this coming February 20 for Farewell My Lovely (1975) and The Big Sleep (1978), both starring Robert Mitchum. 

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/farewell-my-lovely-the-big-sleep-double-feature?product_id=6549

I highly recommend Farewell My Lovely, but not The Big Sleep.  As for Blu Ray, never been impressed with it.  Also wonder about its ability to really improve older movies.

Note Split Second on today (11/05 at 10).

"The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers" is such a multi-layered film.

It exists on so many levels.

I still don't feel that I have a firm grip on it.

But the four principal actors are all superb.

About today's film (10/5/17), "Split Second" was a very impressive directorial debut by Dick Powell.

He got a strong performance from everybody in that ensemble cast.

That so few people survived was quite a surprise.

And Keith Andes and Jan Sterling were such an unlikely couple.

splitsecond1953.427_061820141139.jpg

• Like 2

For Split Second I was particularly impressed with the information re: Paul Kelly who actually served time in San Quentin for manslaughter.  Liked the parts about the explosions being a tourist draw for Las Vegas.  

Incidentally, Las Vegas Story which was referenced is a very good movie of the period.

Also of interest was all the soldiers being marched to various locations as test dummies.  Many (most?) of whom developed cancer and other diseases due to radiation poisoning.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TheCid said:

For Split Second I was particularly impressed with the information re: Paul Kelly who actually served time in San Quentin for manslaughter.  Liked the parts about the explosions being a tourist draw for Las Vegas.  

Incidentally, Las Vegas Story which was referenced is a very good movie of the period.

Also of interest was all the soldiers being marched to various locations as test dummies.  Many (most?) of whom developed cancer and other diseases due to radiation poisoning.

If you get a chance check out the Neo Noir Mulholland Falls, Its opening title montage references the tourists watching the atomic tests around a pool, the plot involves the test dummie soldiers and the coverup of the results, and the film was supposed to end with an atomic blast. Review with screencaps in Film Noir/Gangster pages and here in Noirsville

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FloydDBarber said:

Shouldn't Noir Alley be aired in the dead of night? Sunday at 10 am seems like a time for family viewing.

Now 10 pm is a different story.

I like that it comes on Sundays at 10 AM.  If in the dead of night, most people would have to record it and then watch it at 10 on Sunday.  As for "family" viewing, many would say Sunday at 10 AM is when the "family" should be in church.

• Thanks 1

There are rumors it's going to be moved to a nighttime slot. Hope it's true.

On 10/9/2017 at 6:24 PM, ChristineHoard said:

I haven't read the Lisa Maria afterward but I think you will enjoy reading Megan's comments.

I finally read Megan Abbott's comments in her afterward to In a Lonely Place and did enjoy it. Still waiting for the 2003 edition from The Feminist Press with Lisa Maria Hogeland's afterward.

Reading the novel made quite an impression on me, it seems: I'm still reading about it and thinking about it. It was a powerful story, one to reread in a year or two.

• Like 2

Today's film The Window, is along with The Fallen Idol the perfect introductory "Kid's Noir's." A good way to introduce the genre to youngsters. 

Also you those Noiristas and Aficio-Noirdos interested a lot of the NYC locations (except of course for 3rd Avenue el) are still there. 

Has anyone seen the new Noir Alley promo featuring the women of noir? It's pretty ridiculous..the dialogue is made up with some woman speaking in "tough tones" about being "Possessed" and saying things such as "Some are still trying to figure me out. So I'll tell you what I am. I'm no good, Baby. You've got to believe that." "I smoke. I drink. I do anything to get what I want. They can't fix me cause I don't need fixing." Danger makes me come alive and I will go chasing that feeling again and again. And I won't regret a single thing." 

Then there's pictures of Barbara Stanwyck, Claire Trevor, Peggy Cummins, Ida Lupino and more...interspersed with pics of Eddie Muller. GIVE ME A BREAK. When did he become a movie star? or a woman? or the object of anyone's fancy?

And then Eddie says: "A woman like that can only be found on Noir Alley."

It's all just too much, trying too hard, sexist as heck...and just badly written. Find a new copywriter E.M. and don't insert yourself so much into classic noir. You're on this side of the screen with the rest of us...watching, OK?