Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1,097 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2018 at 8:15 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

well, it would make her repeated turning him down a little more believable.

i mean, really, War Widow with issues or not, it's 1954 and you got six-foot-five-inches of blonde beef knocking on the door- LET HIM IN, GURL.

ETA:

73e2065e431bf15c513ca45ce57a6ea9.jpg

Lol.  When I first glanced at this picture, I thought he wasn't wearing any pants and that the wheel was strategically placed.  Then I looked closer and realized that I was wrong.  Whew! Wouldn't want the mods removing this thread too! Full frontal male nudity is verboten in these parts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  When I first glanced at this picture, I thought he wasn't wearing any pants and that the wheel was strategically placed.  

Jesus, take the wheel...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Paunchy?  If this is paunchy, I'll take it.  He's not showing six pack abs here but he sure looks good to me.  Great photo!

I meant in Suddenly!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Jesus, take the wheel...

LOL.

My vote for SINATRA'S finest hour of acting, though he always cited "Man With the Golden Arm"

I've long thought SINATRA deserved another Oscar nom for this

A very risky role for an actor too

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I meant [STERLING HAYDEN looked "paunchy"] in Suddenly!

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Okay. I get it now.

Mystery Street is the Noir Alley movie this week.  Good look at forensic science in the "old days" and it's nice to see Ricardo Montalban in the lead.  His ethnicity is no big deal - although one guy makes a crack about it and Ricardo zings him back perfectly.

• Like 3

Some comments on Mystery Street as shown tonight on Noir Alley (* spoilers ahead *)

- The connection between the accused and the victim with her pregnancy as a factor in the motive seems dubious to me, since they had only been seen together on one day and his phone number would not be present in her address book.
- Why am I not surprised that the accused had escaped police custody so he did not have an alibi when the assault at the boarding house took place?
 - At the end of the film I was expecting the detective to also notice the phone number on the wall at the boarding house to ultimately bring things to a close.  Of course, finding the claim ticket instead leads to a much more dramatic finish at the baggage office followed by the chase through the train yard.
- Why do people think they are safe in trying to blackmail murderers?  What could possibly go wrong?

10 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

The connection between the accused and the victim with her pregnancy as a factor in the motive seems dubious to me, since they had only been seen together on one day and his phone number would not be present in her address book.

George Brent and Mary Astor in The Great Lie were only married for about a weekend, and that was enough to get her knocked up.

And as much as I like Mystery Street, I don't think I'd call it a noir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

George Brent and Mary Astor in The Great Lie were only married for about a weekend, and that was enough to get her knocked up.

And as much as I like Mystery Street, I don't think I'd call it a noir.

Sorry, this is not for the squeamish:

The point I was (poorly) trying to make was for the baby to be far enough along to have bones that could be found after the murder would imply that the conception would have to occur months before the day in question, and no such long-term relationship had been established.  But perhaps you are saying they only had to be together one time prior to the fateful day...

I agree this film didn't seem as noir-ish to me as most of the previous films in the series.  I try to not get hung up on noir and sub-noir etc definitions, but Eddie's description of the film as a procedural seems more appropriate to me.

What makes a Noir/Neo Noir is an individual internal factor. It's subjectivity. Look at it as if "Noir" is in all of us. Think of us all as having an internal tuning fork, these tuning forks are forged by our life experiences which are all unique. When we watch these films their degree of Noir-ness resonates with us differently, so we either "tune" to them or we don't. The amount of "tuning" (I'm appropriating this term from the Neo Noir Dark City (1998)) to certain films will vary between us all also.

For me I tend to weigh the visual aspects more than other aspects for the Classic Noirs. Strong visuals with inky blacks, Dutch angles, expressionistic lighting, deep focus, usually swing it for me. 

• Like 1

Whether or not the film a film classifies as "noir" is an academic discussion that some noir fans seem to love to have. What does it matter if the film is noir or just a drama? Being good or, at least, interesting is what counts in the movie watching experience.

Is anyone NOT going to watch a film that they hear is good but doesn't qualify as noir?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forget the abortion angle. I'm surprised the anatomically correct woman on the

tattooist's arm passed the censors. I wasn't bothered by the connection between

the rich geezer and Jan Sterling. I just figured they knew each other for a while,

didn't want to make it public and so kept it on the down low. Now, if I were the

rich geezer I would have knocked Sterling out, put her in the car and let it slide

into the pond, drowning her. But nooooo...

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Dang. I missed MYSTERY STREET. 

Hope it shows up OnDemand. 

Too busy watching a film about ancient Druidic rites.

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Too busy watching a film about ancient Druidic rites.

Actually, believe it or not, I WAS IN CHURCH!

(seriously!) 

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Actually, believe it or not, I WAS IN CHURCH!

(seriously!) 

Don't believe it :D

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Now, if I were the rich geezer I would have knocked Sterling out, put her in the car and let it slide into the pond, drowning her. But nooooo...

Worked for Ted Kennedy, more or less.

And it's been a while since I've seen Mystery Street, but I was thinking about how you can get pregnant even if you only see a guy once.  (By the same token, Betty Hutton in The Miracle of Morgan's Creek gets pregnant within hours of her wedding to a man she'd never met before.)  Not having seen the movie in a while, I'm not certain how consistent that is with the rest of the plot.

5 hours ago, Fedya said:

Worked for Ted Kennedy, more or less.

And it's been a while since I've seen Mystery Street, but I was thinking about how you can get pregnant even if you only see a guy once.  (By the same token, Betty Hutton in The Miracle of Morgan's Creek gets pregnant within hours of her wedding to a man she'd never met before.)  Not having seen the movie in a while, I'm not certain how consistent that is with the rest of the plot.

I would say much less, as no one thinks Kennedy plotted to kill her.

Some of the details might have been left out of the movie. How they met, how long

they have been seeing each other, etc. I don't think it's too hard to just fill in the

blanks without any damage to the plot. Good movie, but as others have said,

more of a police procedural than a "straight" noir, though there are definitely noirish

elements. 

On 4/15/2018 at 4:04 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry, this is not for the squeamish:

The point I was (poorly) trying to make was for the baby to be far enough along to have bones that could be found after the murder would imply that the conception would have to occur months before the day in question, and no such long-term relationship had been established.  But perhaps you are saying they only had to be together one time prior to the fateful day...

I agree this film didn't seem as noir-ish to me as most of the previous films in the series.  I try to not get hung up on noir and sub-noir etc definitions, but Eddie's description of the film as a procedural seems more appropriate to me.

The professor (or someone) said in one scene that she was 3 months along. I dont recall any scene in the film that hinted they only had a one night stand. She wouldnt have written his phone number on the wall (or he given her his number) for a one nighter!

Many times in films, one night was all it took. But I dont think that was the case here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Forget the abortion angle. I'm surprised the anatomically correct woman on the

tattooist's arm passed the censors. I wasn't bothered by the connection between

the rich geezer and Jan Sterling. I just figured they knew each other for a while,

didn't want to make it public and so kept it on the down low. Now, if I were the

rich geezer I would have knocked Sterling out, put her in the car and let it slide

into the pond, drowning her. But nooooo...

Yes, that would've been the smarter option. If it had been a one night stand he would have never given her his phone number. So it was obvious (to me) they had been seeing each other from time to time.....and since Sterling was so sure he was the father, probably the only man she had been seeing for the last couple months.

I thought Sterling looked really beautiful in this film. And I thought I saw her nipples showing in that one dress. (which I hadnt noticed before, I've seen the film a few times...)