Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1,480 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, TheCid said:

I think Eddie Muller did a great job on the intro and outro of Caged.  Really explained a lot and that added to my enjoyment and appreciation of the movie.

Ironically I think the cast was far better than all the "stars" that were originally considered for it.  Sometimes "star power" gets in the way of telling a great story.

I cant see Joan Crawford playing some sweet young thing who goes to the slammer (now the latter part of the film I could see her in.....)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I cant see Joan Crawford playing some sweet young thing who goes to the slammer (now the latter part of the film I could see her in.....)

or even- let's be honest- a woman of child-bearing age,

i'm (somewhat) intrigued by the notion of CRAWFORD in the Parker part and DAVIS in the Moorehead role, but the film would have to have been re-titled as SNOWBALL IN HELL.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

or even- let's be honest- a woman of child-bearing age,

i'm (somewhat) intrigued by the notion of CRAWFORD in the Parker part and DAVIS in the Moorehead role, but the film would have to have been re-titled as SNOWBALL IN HELL.

LOL. Yes, she was past that by 1950......

• Haha 1

I wouldn't trade Eleanor Parker for Joan Crawford (great actress that she was) in CAGED for ANYTHING. 

Same with Agnes Moorehead. Both Parker and Moorehead were in top form.

• Like 1

According to the Wiki entry on Caged, both Crawford and Davis were possibilities.

Bette turned it down because she didn't want to appear in a "dyke" film. Good ol'

Mother *******.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

According to the Wiki entry on Caged, both Crawford and Davis were possibilities.

Bette turned it down because she didn't want to appear in a "dyke" film. Good ol'

Mother *******.

LOL! Plus Marie was the juicier part........

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL! Plus Marie was the juicier part........

Yes. I also don't think Bette would have taken a supporting role, especially

to Joan Crawford. Things worked out very well with Eleanor Parker.

the FILTH D'JOUR coming up this Sat/Sun is CRIME WAVE (1954) with STERLING HAYDEN and TIMOTHY CAREY at his TIMOTHY CAREY-EST.

I remember seeing this and really liking it an awful lot a looong time ago (maybe even as a pick of Osborne's?), but i don't remember much else about it.

(yes, i'm officially Old now.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the FILTH D'JOUR coming up this Sat/Sun is CRIME WAVE (1954) with STERLING HAYDEN and TIMOTHY CAREY at his TIMOTHY CAREY-EST.

I remember seeing this and really liking it an awful lot a looong time ago (maybe even as a pick of Osborne's?), but i don't remember much else about it.

My limited records show that the last time Crime Wave aired was in primetime on May 6, 2015, when Sterling Hayden was Star of the Month, so Robert may indeed have done the intro.

I see now that one advantage of an imperfect memory is that you can enjoy movies almost as a first-time viewing more than once. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cant remember if I've seen Crime Wave or not. Will find out when I tune in. The title sound familiar...

14 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

My limited records show that the last time Crime Wave aired was in primetime on May 6, 2015, when Sterling Hayden was Star of the Month, so Robert may indeed have done the intro.

I see now that one advantage of an imperfect memory is that you can enjoy movies almost as a first-time viewing more than once. 😊

Yes, looking verymuch forward to the time when my every day will be like MEMENTO.

• Haha 2

One other thing I notice about Crime Wave is that it is included on a double-feature Warner Archive DVD together with Decoy (1946), and has a commentary track by James Ellroy and Eddie Muller himself (free plug - this is available at the TCM store).

I may have to check this out after watching the movie this weekend.

35 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Works for books too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Also stars Phyllis Kirk who played Nora Charles in The Thin Man TV series with Peter Lawford.  Probably one of few actresses buried in Arlington National Cemetery with her husband, Warren Bush.

• Thanks 1

When did she die? I hadnt known that.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks. I guess I missed that.

Loved CRIME WAVE and Eddie's comments, particularly his discussion of the actors after the end of the movie.  Some reunited for HOUSE OF WAX. 

Question:  there was a song playing on the radio at the gas station in the beginning ("It's wonderful.  It's marvelous" were part of the lyrics) and it sure sounded like Doris Day was singing it.  It could be; Doris was with Warner Bros. then and CRIME WAVE was a Warner's movie.  If it was mentioned in the film, I missed it.  Does anybody know?  Thanks.

I did see CRIME WAVE last time it was on but only the second half so I'm glad I caught the whole thing from start to finish this time.

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

Question:  there was a song playing on the radio at the gas station in the beginning ("It's wonderful.  It's marvelous" were part of the lyrics) and it sure sounded like Doris Day was singing it.  It could be; Doris was with Warner Bros. then and CRIME WAVE was a Warner's movie.  If it was mentioned in the film, I missed it.  Does anybody know?  Thanks.

That's correct, CH. There's a brief bit of dialogue where the gas station attendant identifies the singer as Doris Day, and even imitates her singing a little just before he starts preparing to pump the gas.  Nice added touch to the film.

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, cmovieviewer said:

😊

CRIME WAVE was previously shown July 8th 2012 for an evening of movies on Bank Heists.  The other films show were Bank Dick, The (1940), Steel Trap, The (1952) and Racket, The (1928). RO did the intros.

Crime Wave is one of my faves, lots of good character actors you'll recognize from various other films, and Timothy Carry is a hoot. 

image.jpeg.0e6b4eb16a250b0bb99fa3df3a86cd25.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

That's correct, CH. There's a brief bit of dialogue where the gas station attendant identifies the singer as Doris Day, and even imitates her singing a little just before he starts preparing to pump the gas.  Nice added touch to the film.

It too, might have been equally as nice a touch if you'd have mentioned that gas station attendant was played by the great character actor DUB TAYLOR.  ;)  (who was also in the previous "You Can't Take It With You" this morning)

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Loved CRIME WAVE and Eddie's comments, particularly his discussion of the actors after the end of the movie.  Some reunited for HOUSE OF WAX. 

I did see CRIME WAVE last time it was on but only the second half so I'm glad I caught the whole thing from start to finish this time.

Really enjoyed Crime Wave and Eddie's comments.   I had seen the first part of the film,  but before it was on so late I fell asleep.   Not this time (since I'm on the west coast).    Yea, that was Day singing the Gershwin tune It's Wonderful (the gas attendant mentions Gershwin and Day).    Dub Taylor was the actor who is best known for Bonnie and Clyde.

One of Eddie's comments that surprised me was that Warner was thinking of casting Bogie and Ava Gardner.   First they wouldn't have played the married couple since Bogie would have been way to old for that (the x-con being a younger man is part of the plot) and if Bogie played the cop and Ava the wife of the x-con, there would have to be a lot of changes to get them in more scenes together.

• Thanks 1

If anybody is interested, one of Eddie Mueller's favorite noir films is "Thieves Highway," which is running on FOX Movie Channel (FXM) on May 25th, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

\

• Thanks 1