Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1,462 posts in this topic

Well, WB never gave her anything to work with. She was always stuck in vapid 2nd leads and other woman roles. Later on, she was very funny in Here Comes the Groom free lancing and in Split Second. But her movie career never panned out. She had better luck later in her career on the stage......

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Well, WB never gave her anything to work with. She was always stuck in vapid 2nd leads and other woman roles. Later on, she was very funny in Here Comes the Groom free lancing and in Split Second. But her movie career never panned out. She had better luck later in her career on the stage......

Alexis Smith had such a HARD face and STRONG features, ulta aquiline almost to the point of being skeletal. I think she probably had a hard time finding herself cast in lead roles were she was supposed to play someone warm and or likable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, aloofness seemed to be her strong point (in 40s WB films at least)......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

QUICKSAND is quite possibly available online.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

But then I'll wager, neither did Alexis Smith.

I'm sorry. She was just on in something on TCM yesterday with Jane Wyman and Eve Arden as Katherine Hepburn as Greta Garbo in NINOTCHKA and she was okay, but for the most part she leaves me cold.

**except i buy her completely as the possessive, jealous girlfriend in THE CONSTANT NYMPH.

Do you buy her in LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVED DOWN THE LANE?  Of course, this is later in her career but I like her performance as she b u t t s heads with Jodie Foster's character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quicksand is a pretty good little flick. What I had to laugh at were some of the shots

of Rooney walking side by side with Jeanne Cagney. It looked like she might have been

his babysitter.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't A. Smith also go recently?    It seems like they always do, especially within the last few yrs

 

& to all has anybody heard more about that lawsuit involving 102yr old *Olivia de Haviland vs. "Feud?"

 

Think she was suing about *Catherine Zeta-Jones portrayal of her in that well-0made tv movie.  I really like *Olivia, who doesn't?

 

But, she was never in the looks dept as *C. Zeta is.   She looks like a porcillin doll-(think I misspelled that one, but you get me meaning)

 

Though as I first watched the tv movie/series, I immediately found it asinine they would even have *C.Zeta as *0livia???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, Hibi said:

Yes. UGH. (Crowther)

Are you speaking/writing about Bosley Crowther?    Because I have a massive book by him called "THE MOVIES" & it's very old., but great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alexis Smith died 25 years ago........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 To Eddie & the rest I noticed you fellow TCM-ITES  listed your fav. film 'noir pix & just wanted to throw in my own & as always throw in your 2 cents or fedoras???

1. "Vertigo"-(l958-)-(Paramount)(also among the ten greatest movies ever released)

2. "The Third Man"-(l950-)(NOTE: due to "Vertigo" being in color, I go back and fourth if film 'noir should only be in B& W or not, if that's the case this is by far A No. #1)

3. "Blue Velvet" (l986)

4. "Rear Window" (l954) (Paramount)-(Hitchcock's most entertaining effort)

5th "The Maltese Falcon" (l941) (Warner Bros.)

6. "Chinatown" (l974)

 

& several others

 

Of course *0rson's 1958 "Touch of Evil" (U-I)-(TRIVIA: Who knows it was mostly shot around Venice Beach, CA>? I got to stop there & hang out for an hour in 05 & forgot about it until I went back to my books. Mostly now is murals of JHim Morrison & they did film the terrific '98 cult "The Big Lebowski" & others here)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also to Eddie 7 all, who tried & was able to locate RAYMOND CHANDLER SQUARE & BUILDING ON HOLLYWOOD, BLVD?

 

I tried to no avail  I could look up exact address for those interested   The main bld was said to be from '46's "The Big Sleep" I think I located that, but it was night by the time & crazy on the blvd-(was never like this prior to the 1960's?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 1:59 PM, Vautrin said:

My only true complaint is that there weren't enough shots of the moon

appearing and disappearing behind the clouds.

...accompanied of course by that anemic, squiggly little melody as the main theme. Yes, I know, it's rather retrograde to criticize good ole Max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 5:41 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ps- Van Heflin more or less reprises his JOHNNY EAGER part a couple more times, notably in POSSESSED, where I actually like him a lot

Unlike the rest of the universe, I don't see David Sutton to be a despicable cad. Everybody gets him so wrong. :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, laffite said:

Unlike the rest of the universe, I don't see David Sutton to be a despicable cad. Everybody gets him so wrong. :D

Yes, he lets Joan know that he's not into a serious relationship.  She's the one who can't let go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, laffite said:

...accompanied of course by that anemic, squiggly little melody as the main theme. Yes, I know, it's rather retrograde to criticize good ole Max.

The music was secondary to me. It was those endless moon shots. Okay, we get

it. Too bad Moonlight Becomes You wasn't written until after The Letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vautrin said:

The music was secondary to me. It was those endless moon shots. Okay, we get

it. Too bad Moonlight Becomes You wasn't written until after The Letter.

LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitfall, another good noir with Dick Powell will be shown this wknd!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Alexis Smith had such a HARD face and STRONG features, ulta aquiline almost to the point of being skeletal. I think she probably had a hard time finding herself cast in lead roles were she was supposed to play someone warm and or likable.

I just love that you used the word "aquiline" to describe Alexis, which is a dead on description, Wordsmith Lorna!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see The Letter getting so much love. Bette Davis understood quite well Somerset Maugham’s characters. Some of her best work involved adaptations of Maugham literature: Of Human Bondage and of course The Letter.  Maugham's female protagonists were often sexually avaricious, cold and unlikeable.  Davis captured the essence of Mrs. Crosbie, a woman for whom Hammond was a sexual addiction: shame at first, followed by a junkie-like anticipation until her next fix. The character’s hair style choice, prim and conventional, concealed her true nature.  Bette's expressions, at times blank-faced, carry on the lie this is a dull and passionless English woman. The Letter never gets old. A wonderful film through and through.

Eddie Muller almost made the case the first fully realized film noir was not The Maltese Falcon, as film historians claim, including Muller, but the stagey and refined The Letter. And why not?  It has the stylistic visuals: inky, high-contrast black & white cinematography (a Warner Bros. hallmark), stark shadows, jagged light, all of which would figure prominently later in what became classic noir.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in time for Father's Day, TCM is running a promo for Noir Alley entitled "A Tale of Two Eddies," where our Eddie talks in detail about his father, Eddie Senior, and what it was like growing up with a famous sportswriter.  The promo includes clips from classic newspaper and boxing movies as illustration, and also includes photos of a young Eddie and his dad the writer.  A really nice promo and I hope everyone gets a chance to see it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

I just love that you used the word "aquiline" to describe Alexis, which is a dead on description, Wordsmith Lorna!

Thank you, except...

I was so flattered by your response that I went to look up the word "aquiline" and discovered that I did not use it right. It means a hooked or downward curve to the nose. It has nothing to do with the sharpness of one's features.

but thank you for the flattery, and for inadvertently teaching me the real meaning of the word.

ps- i used to refer to Alexis Smith, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, as "Skeletor"...I'm trying to be a nicer person though, however so many of you seemed to enjoy my rather low hanging fruit remark about Sydney Greenstreets weight, so I share this because I am an empty shell of a human being. I'll save anyone who is amused a nice, warm seat in Hell right by Me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thank you, except...

I was so flattered by your response that I went to look up the word "aquiline" and discovered that I did not use it right. It means a hooked or downward curve to the nose. It has nothing to do with the sharpness of one's features.

but thank you for the flattery, and for inadvertently teaching me the real meaning of the word.

ps- i used to refer to Alexis Smith, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, as "Skeletor"...I'm trying to be a nicer person though, however so many of you seemed to enjoy my rather low hanging fruit remark about Sydney Greenstreets weight, so I share this because I am an empty shell of a human being. I'll save anyone who is amused a nice, warm seat in Hell right by Me

That's funny because I have a friend who uses the word "aquiline" all the time, but I too looked it up before I answered your post. The reason I thought it fit was that Alexis had this very sharply defined birdlike bone structure to her nose, which I thought fit your description. Okay, maybe she doesn't have a "beak" like the guy in Ivan the Terrible, but I still think it looks like a raven's nose maybe. She really wasn't so skeletal in her face shape, which was a bit wide, but her actual features like her proboscis, do seem birdlike looking to me. Now we can both think of other words to describe noses like Karl Malden's or Tiny Tim's, Lorna.

I do think the Retrousse nose, as seen on early Bridget Nielsen, is one of the nicest. I say "early" since the way things are, she may have had surgery by now and look like Jennifer Grey by now, unrecognizable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FYI and apropos of NOTHING, Brigette Nielsen (sp?) is currently pregnant at 50something. 

Please tell me the s-p-e-r-m donor was not Flavor Flav? No child should be subjected to a father wearing a clock the size of the Lusitania on his chest. They could be seriously injured by a flying second hand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us