Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1,967 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2018 at 10:34 AM, Looney said:

Yep, LornaHansonForbes is right.  That is what the schedule says.

Here is a Noir Alley question.  Why doesn't Muller tell people to come discuss the films in these forums?  And I fully understand that there are members who would prefer that he did not because riff-raff like me might show up, but I still find it curious that he doesn't promote coming to TCM to discuss films shown on TCM.  

And another question, who thinks "riff-raff" should be spelled with a hyphen and who thinks it should be one word? 🤣

Working backward to front, I think riff-raff should be spelled as in Gregory's Chronicle below, circa 1470, as "ryffe raffe" and without a hyphen, but I am not literary genius and you might want to submit this question to the Peanut Gallery here who are into hyphenate forms. 

"Gregory's Chronicle, circa 1470: Many a man was mortheryde and kylde in that conflycte, I wot not what name hyt for the multytude of ryffe raffe.

I do not think you should call yourself "riff-raff" in any case, just because you look like an aged Eddie Albert with symptoms of the Bubonic Plague!

And lastly or I mean, firstly, perhaps Muller does not come here to discuss noir knowing that he would be surrounded by some superior noir addicts who might call his bluff? 

Nice extrapolation of thoughts, Looney! I look forward to your further exploration of oddities in nature or behaviour here at TCM.

• Thanks 1

I've seen:

1963 55 Days at Peking 2.5/5
 1958 Party Girl 2.5/5
 1957 The True Story of Jesse James 2/5
 1955 Rebel Without a Cause 3/5
 1954 Johnny Guitar 2/5
 1952 Androcles and the Lion (I liked it as a kid 3/5
 1952 The Lusty Men 2.5/5
 1952 Macao 3/5
 1951 On Dangerous Ground 4/5
 1951 The Racket 3/5
 1951 Flying Leathernecks 2.5/5
 1950 In a Lonely Place 2.5/5
 1949 Knock on Any Door 2.5/5
 1949 A Woman's Secret 2/5
 1948 They Live by Night 4/5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Party Girl is a color film,  so therefore it can't be noir.    

Of course I'm joking (or not??).

Lest ye forget, James...the film "Slightly Scarlet" from 1956, is a color film, and fully noirish with those two dazzling redheads, Arlene and Rhonda! I will attribute the noir in color phantasmagoria effect to the amazing cinematography of veteran cameraman, John Alton who lensed many black and white noirs.

1 minute ago, CaveGirl said:

Lest ye forget, James...the film "Slightly Scarlet" from 1956, is a color film, and fully noirish with those two dazzling redheads, Arlene and Rhonda! I will attribute the noir in color phantasmagoria effect to the amazing cinematography of veteran cameraman, John Alton who lensed many black and white noirs.

I like to all the color noir's the "Pulp Cover Noirs" when done right, like Slightly Scarlet they make those lurid paperback book (that a lot of noirs were based on) and magazine covers of True Detective, Black Mask,  etc., come to life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I like to all the color noir's the "Pulp Cover Noirs" when done right, like Slightly Scarlet they make those lurid paperback book (that a lot of noirs were based on) and magazine covers of True Detective, Black Mask,  etc., come to life.

I never really thought about that, CJ but you make sense with this assertion and are right. Just bought a beautifully lurid old paperback of "Call Me Savage" by Tiffany Thayer and the color just jumps off the front page. By the way, Tiffany was apparently a man I found out, which I find amusing.

16 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I've seen:

1950 In a Lonely Place 2.5/5

I'm surprised! I thought I was the only one who finds IN A LONELY PLACE  a middling effort of Ray's!

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm surprised! I thought I was the only one who finds IN A LONELY PLACE  a middling effort of Ray's!

It's too stage bound and light on the Noir stylisticsfor my tastes , I like Gloria Grahame very much, but not her do in this flick.

35 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

It's too stage bound and light on the Noir stylisticsfor my tastes , I like Gloria Grahame very much, but not her do in this flick.

I wish they'd ended it as originally intended. 

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have to read the novel, I don't know how the original version ended.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You mean she didn't dump him in the original storyline?

I would have dumped him way back when he was hitting his poor agent at the restaurant. 

I think this is one of the few movies, where Bogart's lip injury is really noticeable as impeding things a bit. Maybe during the scene where he demonstrates to Frank Lovejoy and wife how to choke someone.

• Thanks 1

So only cmovieviewer and Lawrence interested in The City That Never Sleeps ?  (thanks, you two.) Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

So only cmovieviewer and Lawrence interested in The City That Never Sleeps ?  (thanks, you two.) Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Get-TV shows the film often and I find it only to be OK.    While there are some fine actors in Arnold and Windsor,  I don't think Gig Young had a large enough screen persona to carry such a film.   

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'll admit that I've never heard of this movie.  First I thought you were talking about the film with Dana Andrews and Ida Lupino, and I was going to lament that I thought there needed to be more Ida Lupino in this film.  Then I realized that I was confusing the film you were talking about with While the City Sleeps.  I'm going to DVR The City That Never Sleeps tonight as it looks interesting. I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of Gig Young, he's a bit dull, but I'll give this film a shot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like it enough and may stay up to watch it.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2018 at 1:47 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Take this for what you will, but it's my understanding that Raymond Burr was most definitely gay, and pretty damn open about it too. I mean yeah, there was a studio arranged quote "date" quote with NatalieWood,i'm sure the two had a fabulous Kiki and later on had lunch and shopping.

I want to say he had a partner for many many years and they had a ranch in the south west somewhere. He even became a botanist of sorts, I want to say he developed a special type of orchid which she actually named after Barbara Hale

it's funny because really you watch him in "a place in the sun"or "his kind of woman" or even "perry mason" and you'd "never know"

Interesting about the orchids.  Was he channeling Nero Wolfe?  He certainly resembled that fictional character...

On 7/3/2018 at 12:54 PM, Looney said:

Where did I say it was a Noir?  I said it is tough to say what it is because it has qualities from different genres.  I said I can see both sides of the argument, but I don't think Noir when I think of that movie; I think "horror."  You can't deny that it has Noir qualities, but that doesn't mean it is a Noir.  Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) has Noir qualities, but that doesn't make it a Noir movie, or is it?! 😁  That is why I made the joke asking if there was a "Noir-esk" term that would define a movie like 10 Rillington Place.  Meaning a term that describes a movie that has some Noir qualities, but is possibly more horror leaning than Noir.  If need be I can make up a word. 😉

Welcome to the TCM Forum, Looney!

I see you have survived the full tilt boogie welcoming party and I look forward to more of your posts.

I see you have only posted 12 times as yet, but doesn't it just seem like so many more?

Prepare a phalanx defense next time with shields on each exposed side of your exterior regions. Remember, a coward dies many times but a fearless warrior only once!

• Thanks 1

I shall bare my soul to you now. :rolleyes:  I have an invitation to a huge 4th of July party tonight.  I am seriously considering, despite the fact that I can watch it tomorrow morning, skipping the party so I don't miss Noir Alley tonight.  I don't even know that I will like the movie, but Noir Alley has become a Saturday night tradition for me these last several weeks and I don't want to miss it.  That sounds soooo pathetic, but it is true.  (Truth be told last year's party wasn't that great, but the hosts are interesting people and I haven't seen them since last year.)

So what would YOU do?

1. Party = A few hundred people, fireworks, food, and "Fun"?

2. Noir Alley = Snacks, Solitude, and a movie I've never seen? 

:D ;) :D

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I like it enough and may stay up to watch it.

I did end up watching the film and it was nice to see it without any commercial interruptions. 

While I still image what the film would have been with an iconic noir actor like Dana Andrews in the lead role,  there are some great noir scenes in the film;  e.g.  the shooting of the femme fatale.   

22 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I vaguely remember having seen the movie, but was not impressed at the time.  Interestingly I now know who Mala Powers is due to her five appearances on the Perry Mason TV series.  Have the DVD's and watch them fairly often.

2 hours ago, Looney said:

I shall bare my soul to you now. :rolleyes:  I have an invitation to a huge 4th of July party tonight.  I am seriously considering, despite the fact that I can watch it tomorrow morning, skipping the party so I don't miss Noir Alley tonight.  I don't even know that I will like the movie, but Noir Alley has become a Saturday night tradition for me these last several weeks and I don't want to miss it.  That sounds soooo pathetic, but it is true.  (Truth be told last year's party wasn't that great, but the hosts are interesting people and I haven't seen them since last year.)

So what would YOU do?

A 4th of July party on July 7th?  Actually it will be an Independence Day party.

Regardless, Noir Alley repeats at 10:00 AM ET on Sundays.

17 minutes ago, TheCid said:

A 4th of July party on July 7th?  Actually it will be an Independence Day party.

Regardless, Noir Alley repeats at 10:00 AM ET on Sundays.

I'm going to one today (Saturday,  7th),  as well since my wife and I both had to work on Thursdays \ Friday,  like a lot of folks.    We are going to her godmother's house and there will be a lot of great Italian food.   Of course we didn't really need an excuse to gather since we often go there on the weekend (and it is only 90 at their place and well over 100 where we are at!).

12 hours ago, Looney said:

So what would YOU do?

If I couldn't record it and Sunday AM was out of the question, I would go with Noir Alley.  I'm not much into crowds much and I'm a capable cook.  The only thing that would give me pause is fireworks but I'd stick with Noir Alley.  I'd try to get together with the interesting people in a smaller setting at another time.

I guess I'm too late to offer my opinion as the party is probably about over.  Oh well.

• Like 1