Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1,967 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Always find it interesting when movies have scenes from the LA River.  I assume that at some times, there is actually more than a trickle of water in it?  Does it ever get fairly full?  Asking about the concrete portions used in movies.

Image result for was the la river ever full images

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is one fantastic pic Joe!  I would have loved to see that scene in person.  There was never much in there when I lived there. 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Image result for was the la river ever full images

Now, let's see those giant ants get out.  Of a crook get away from Adam 12.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Now, let's see those giant ants get out.  Of a crook get away from Adam 12.

Errors in grammar aside this should read, "Now, let's see THEM giant ants get out." :D

• Haha 5

I bet that pic was from a long time ago! The river used to flood in the rainy season, so they "tamed" it. Concrete monstrosity now.....

6 hours ago, TheCid said:

Always find it interesting when movies have scenes from the LA River.  I assume that at some times, there is actually more than a trickle of water in it?  Does it ever get fairly full?  Asking about the concrete portions used in movies.

I dont live in LA, but I think it depends on the season. In the old days it used to be a river, but they damned it all up to prevent flooding. I think some of the upper parts are river/creek like before it hits LA.........

The reason the LA RIVER WAS CEMENTED AND DAMED happened when the floods of 1938 devastated  the city.  There was flooding everywhere with the river cresting.  It was an STRONG EL NINO EVENT.  NO ONE KNEW WHAT EL NINO WAS, WHICH THE OCEAN CURRENTS CHANGE AND THE WATERS GET WARMER, CAUSING HEAVY RAINS. it is a periodic event from the Pacific Ocean.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I bet that pic was from a long time ago! The river used to flood in the rainy season, so they "tamed" it. Concrete monstrosity now.....

As part of the ongoing Los Angeles River Revitalization Plan, Perkins + Will have recently released renderings of what their contribution could look like. The overall Los Angeles River plan includes proposals varying in size and location. The largest proposals include revitalizing expansive sections along the river to create public spaces with trails, bridges, bike and walking paths, landscaping, and seating areas.  

Yes, I've heard about this. I hope it comes to pass.........

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And anything with Margaret Obrien is a de facto horror film for me. 

That kid creeps me out.

I don't know why, but I find her hilarious in Meet Me in St. Louis even though her character is so morbid.  It's hilarious to me that a 7-year old brings such a macabre element to a saccharine, cheerful film like 'St. Louis.' 

I would love to know if Victorian Halloweens were as bizarre as they were depicted in the film.

"I killed him!" 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"I'm taking all my dolls with me when we move. Even the dead ones."

"I'm the most horrible!"

The most unbelievable thing about PARTY GIRL was Cyd offering Bob a cup of cocoa.  And she actually started making it until that unfortunate incident occurred.

I always felt Taylor had a decidedly sinister cast to his face as he aged, much like Ray Milland.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The most unbelievable thing about PARTY GIRL was Cyd offering Bob a cup of cocoa.  And she actually started making it until that unfortunate incident occurred.

I always felt Taylor had a decidedly sinister cast to his face as he aged, much like Ray Milland.  

I did find it odd that Charisse offered Taylor a cup of cocoa instead of a highball filled to the brim with whiskey.  Even Taylor's character mentions not having had cocoa since he was a kid.  Though, perhaps it was still prohibition during that era, so Charisse wouldn't have owned any hooch? Her character seemed to be the antithesis of the "party girl" in this film. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I did find it odd that Charisse offered Taylor a cup of cocoa instead of a highball filled to the brim with whiskey.  Even Taylor's character mentions not having had cocoa since he was a kid.  Though, perhaps it was still prohibition during that era, so Charisse wouldn't have owned any hooch? Her character seemed to be the antithesis of the "party girl" in this film. 

Right. Like I said, Cyd's character is a bit of a goody-goody.  I mean, cocoa? really?  I think the screenwriter had her offer Taylor cocoa to show that she was a "good" girl who wasn't about to invite any hanky-panky activity with offers of alcohol. I suspect that had more to do with the cocoa thing than Prohibition.

"That said", I actually quite like a nice cup of cocoa now and then. But in the winter time, not now, with 35 degree heat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Right. Like I said, Cyd's character is a bit of a goody-goody.  I mean, cocoa? really?  I think the screenwriter had her offer Taylor cocoa to show that she was a "good" girl who wasn't about to invite any hanky-panky activity with offers of alcohol. I suspect that had more to do with the cocoa thing than Prohibition.

"That said", I actually quite like a nice cup of cocoa now and then. But in the winter time, not now, with 35 degree heat.

Agreed.  I am somewhat disappointed there weren't any debaucherous party girls in a movie called Party Girl.

I actually have cocoa most everyday (Swiss Miss because that's what's available), but I cut it with coffee.  I don't do creamer (rather creamer doesn't like me + it's extra sugar).  The cocoa helps make my work's break room coffee taste better.  Though some days, it's just too hot (80s-90s this week). 

• Like 2

I've read that drinking cocoa every night not only lowers high blood pressure but keeps one's skin glowing and young!

I would have liked to see Cyd or Bob offer a cup to Lee J. Cobb.  Gangsters need comfort too.

51 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I've read that drinking cocoa every night not only lowers high blood pressure but keeps one's skin glowing and young!

I would have liked to see Cyd or Bob offer a cup to Lee J. Cobb.  Gangsters need comfort too.

Lee J Cobb needs some chamomile or sleepy time tea! He needs to calm down. 

Can you imagine Cobb hopped up on a Rockstar or something? Yikes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Is Rockstar the one that's even stronger than Red Bull?  Egad!  

On the other hand I thought Cyd and Bob needed energy drinks in this movie.

Taylor's wooden-ness, however, works to good effect in THE NIGHTWALKER.

Ditto JOHNNY EAGER but much less so in THE CONSPIRATORS. 

The only films I've seen Lee even remotely relaxed are THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF and THE EXORCIST.

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know why, but I find her hilarious in Meet Me in St. Louis even though her character is so morbid.

You're on to something.

download.jpg.cde393c613939bf7ec7d8e71c0e85e23.jpg932782127_download(1).jpg.e81f652844dab7f25d9f94f650b3932d.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I've never thought much of Party Girl, hence my lack of comments.

you know,

i was going to post that, out of all the movies Eddie has selected, PARTY GIRL was the one time where I really think he ought to have re-evaluated that choice on multiple grounds...

and yet...

it's sparked one of the livelier and longer lasting discussions we've had here in a while.

so, shrug emoji?

• Like 1

in re THE L.A. RIVER,

It's funny, I was just thinking about it the other day (i lived in socal for a while some time ago)

there is a plant called plumbago which does fine here in the southeast, but in the southwest, it LOVES the dry conditions and arid, cool nights and temperate clime. it EXPLODES into giant spills of light, sky blue all over cracks and overpasses and abuttments over the LA River and it's about as perfect a metaphor for LA as I can think of (such beauty made possible among such distopian ugliness).

i can't find any specific pictures of plumbago spilling over the walls of the LA River (although, trust, it's not because of a lack of examples all over)  but here is a pic that gives a similar effect

87a3759bf47951edcdf0df0dd9554475.jpg

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5747277

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

you know,

i was going to post that, out of all the movies Eddie has selected, PARTY GIRL was the one time where I really think he ought to have re-evaluated that choice on multiple grounds...

and yet...

it's sparked one of the livelier and longer lasting discussions we've had here in a while.

so, shrug emoji?

Serious question here in order to give Eddie the benefit of the doubt and re-evaluate him in my own mind -- I'm now thinking, does he really pick all these movies or is it done by "noir committee" and Muller just given "mouthpiece" status introducing and "reviewing" them?  

3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Serious question here in order to give Eddie the benefit of the doubt and re-evaluate him in my own mind -- I'm now thinking, does he really pick all these movies or is it done by "noir committee" and Muller just given "mouthpiece" status introducing and "reviewing" them?  

Probably some of both. He may have some input, but he's not the sole decision maker, as availability would be the greatest factor in what's eventually chosen.

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Yeah, LOL. Considering her job, I'm sure she had access to some...........