Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

2,857 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

you know,

i was going to post that, out of all the movies Eddie has selected, PARTY GIRL was the one time where I really think he ought to have re-evaluated that choice on multiple grounds...

and yet...

it's sparked one of the livelier and longer lasting discussions we've had here in a while.

so, shrug emoji?

I think the only reason it got shown is due to the fact he worships Nick Ray.........

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Agreed.  I am somewhat disappointed there weren't any debaucherous party girls in a movie called Party Girl.

I actually have cocoa most everyday (Swiss Miss because that's what's available), but I cut it with coffee.  I don't do creamer (rather creamer doesn't like me + it's extra sugar).  The cocoa helps make my work's break room coffee taste better.  Though some days, it's just too hot (80s-90s this week). 

I used to do that too years ago. I'd forgotten all about it!

13 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I've read that drinking cocoa every night not only lowers high blood pressure but keeps one's skin glowing and young!

I would have liked to see Cyd or Bob offer a cup to Lee J. Cobb.  Gangsters need comfort too.

Wouldnt the caffeine keep you up though?

12 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Is Rockstar the one that's even stronger than Red Bull?  Egad!  

On the other hand I thought Cyd and Bob needed energy drinks in this movie.

Taylor's wooden-ness, however, works to good effect in THE NIGHTWALKER.

Ditto JOHNNY EAGER but much less so in THE CONSPIRATORS. 

The only films I've seen Lee even remotely relaxed are THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF and THE EXORCIST.

He was pretty relaxed (but perplexed) in The 3 Faces of Eve......

• Like 1

you know,

i was going to post that, out of all the movies Eddie has selected, PARTY GIRL was the one time where I really think he ought to have re-evaluated that choice on multiple grounds...

and yet...

it's sparked one of the livelier and longer lasting discussions we've had here in a while.

so, shrug emoji?

From a historical perspective showing Party Girl makes a lot of sense;   It is one of the last noirs from the so called 'classic noir' period (which I define from 1941 - 1959),  it features aging noir actors (Taylor and Ireland,  OK, they are not iconic noir actors like Mitchum \ Bogie \ Andrews, but still),   is directed by Ray who directed some iconic noirs,  and was a way for MGM to 'end' their role in the period  (even with MGM being light in the noir area compared with RKO etc..).

But,  yea, the best reason was to wake up this thread!   

• Thanks 1

in re THE L.A. RIVER,

It's funny, I was just thinking about it the other day (i lived in socal for a while some time ago)

there is a plant called plumbago which does fine here in the southeast, but in the southwest, it LOVES the dry conditions and arid, cool nights and temperate clime. it EXPLODES into giant spills of light, sky blue all over cracks and overpasses and abuttments over the LA River and it's about as perfect a metaphor for LA as I can think of (such beauty made possible among such distopian ugliness).

i can't find any specific pictures of plumbago spilling over the walls of the LA River (although, trust, it's not because of a lack of examples all over)  but here is a pic that gives a similar effect

87a3759bf47951edcdf0df0dd9554475.jpg

WOW! What a picture! I LOVE plumbago. I grow mine in a pot (unsure if it would grow in my zone overwinter) I have it outside in the summer and bring it in for the winter months. Such pretty blue flowers. I also love jacaranda trees (so far no luck in getting them to bloom in pots) So hard to get blue flowers in the garden. (beyond iris and hydrangea)

47 minutes ago, Hibi said:

He was pretty relaxed (but perplexed) in The 3 Faces of Eve......

You're right!  I forgot about that one.  Eve Black flirted up a storm with Dr. Luther but all he told her was "That won't work, I'm a doctor...."

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Probably some of both. He may have some input, but he's not the sole decision maker, as availability would be the greatest factor in what's eventually chosen.

Thanks -- This makes the most sense to me.

56 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Wouldnt the caffeine keep you up though?

One would think so but a cup of hot cocoa before bed always puts me to sleep in no time, even if I make it with water and not milk.

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

One would think so but a cup of hot cocoa before bed always puts me to sleep in no time, even if I make it with water and not milk.

I wish SOMETHING would put me to sleep!!!

You're right!  I forgot about that one.  Eve Black flirted up a storm with Dr. Luther but all he told her was "That won't work, I'm a doctor...."

LOL. She tried her best........

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Do you suffer from insomnia?  So sorry if this is the case.

Would exercise throughout the day help?

Or you could just keep QVC on in the background.  24/7 of those hosts and cheesy product presentations would surely knock you out good!  

52 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. She tried her best........

I know Joanne won an Oscar but for me David Wayne as her **** husband takes the acting honors in this movie.  "He said you weren't really sick, it's just this multiplyin' thing...."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

WOW! What a picture! I LOVE plumbago. I grow mine in a pot (unsure if it would grow in my zone overwinter) I have it outside in the summer and bring it in for the winter months. Such pretty blue flowers. I also love jacaranda trees (so far no luck in getting them to bloom in pots) So hard to get blue flowers in the garden. (beyond iris and hydrangea)

I LOVE JACARANDA TREES! 

And, as I recall, this is the time of year when they're in bloom in Southern California.

I live in the very lowest southeast corner of North Carolina right on the ocean, so it's a pretty warm climate. Sometimes my plumbagos come back, but sometimes they dont (but I chalk that up to the fact that we have very acid soil, I have wild variations the amount of sunlight my yard gets, and it gets 5° hotter than HELL here in the summer

16 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I know Joanne won an Oscar but for me David Wayne as her **** husband takes the acting honors in this movie.  "He said you weren't really sick, it's just this multiplyin' thing...."

OMG ME TOO! 

The first time I saw "the three faces of Eve" I was very impressed by Joanne, but frankly it was the performance of the actor playing her husband that really blew me away. He has what is actually the most challenging role in the picture, and honestly I think he gave the best performance.

ps- as I recall it, Lee J Cobb is pretty calm in "Anna and the king of Siam" with Rex Harrison and Irene Dunne. I think the fact that he was playing another race was enough to sate his hammy tendencies on that one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

May I suggest anything with Robert Taylor where he has a monologue? 

• Like 1

Ps-  The same year that PARTY GIRL was released, Lee J Cobb earned his second, and final, Oscar nomination for best supporting actor for THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I think the only reason it got shown is due to the fact he worships Nick Ray.........

Well, to be fair, to some degree so do I. THEY LIVE BY NIGHT, REBEL and JOHNNY GUITAR are (for me) perfect films, and THE LUSTY MEN and IN DANGEROUS GROUND are excellent as well. Any direct working in Hollywood be lucky to have one film as good as any of those on his resume.

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OUCH

41 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Do you suffer from insomnia?  So sorry if this is the case.

Would exercise throughout the day help?

Or you could just keep QVC on in the background.  24/7 of those hosts and cheesy product presentations would surely knock you out good!  

YES. And it just gets worse as I get older. I average maybe 5 hrs of sleep on a good night. Somewhat better in the winter time. I'm going to ask my doctor to put me on Ambien. Nothing helps.

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ps- I just imdb'd LEE J COBB- he was in GREEN MANSIONS?!?!?!

i do not recall this...

Oh, that's right! Didnt he play Audrey's dad? Or grandfather or something.....

23 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I need complete quiet to fall asleep. I even run fans to block out noise. Tv doesnt do it, no matter how boring the program!

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Well, to be fair, to some degree so do I. THEY LIVE BY NIGHT, REBEL and JOHNNY GUITAR are (for me) perfect films, and THE LUSTY MEN and IN DANGEROUS GROUND are excellent as well. Any direct working in Hollywood be lucky to have one film as good as any of those on his resume.

I agree. But that doesnt mean Party Girl needs to be included!