Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

2,526 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I LOVE JACARANDA TREES! 

And, as I recall, this is the time of year when they're in bloom in Southern California.

I live in the very lowest southeast corner of North Carolina right on the ocean, so it's a pretty warm climate. Sometimes my plumbagos come back, but sometimes they dont (but I chalk that up to the fact that we have very acid soil, I have wild variations the amount of sunlight my yard gets, and it gets 5° hotter than HELL here in the summer

YES! I've read they are popular in SOCAL. I'm kinda between trees at the moment. The last one I had died inside over winter. I need to start looking again. They make nice foliage plants even if they arent in bloom........

Yeah, I dont think plumbago would make it in my 5b zone (I think with climate change its 6a now)......but it seems happy in an 8 inch pot and survives nicely in my basement with fluorescent lighting....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hibi said:

WOW! What a picture! I LOVE plumbago. I grow mine in a pot (unsure if it would grow in my zone overwinter) I have it outside in the summer and bring it in for the winter months. Such pretty blue flowers. I also love jacaranda trees (so far no luck in getting them to bloom in pots) So hard to get blue flowers in the garden. (beyond iris and hydrangea)

Hibi, a while ago I saw this really interesting documentary about colour in nature, and it said that the least common colour in the natural world is blue. (well, except for the sky, I guess...)

It said that the colour blue in plants and flowers is the rarest colour of all, and that there were very few flowers that were blue;and actually, a lot that are blue were developed to be so by botanists doing hybrids and science-y experiments. But blue occurring naturally in the plant world is unusual.

Interesting, eh?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ps-  The same year that PARTY GIRL was released, Lee J Cobb earned his second, and final, Oscar nomination for best supporting actor for THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

I don't know what the movie is like, but the book has to be one of the most dismal ever written.😒

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I wish SOMETHING would put me to sleep!!!

Try watching "The Killers". I know, I know, it's supposed to be one of the greatest noirs ever, blah blah, but I swear, every single time I've endeavoured to watch it, I've fallen asleep. Right about the time Burt sees Ava standing by the piano at that boring party.

Could WHITE HEAT be considered film noir?

I can only speak for myself but I say no. It's brilliantly acted (especially by the one and only James Cagney as psycho Cody Jarrett), well paced, and quite a bit of action, but I don't know, it just lacks something that I think would put it in noir territory. 

Having said that, I do love WHITE HEAT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Try watching "The Killers". I know, I know, it's supposed to be one of the greatest noirs ever, blah blah, but I swear, every single time I've endeavoured to watch it, I've fallen asleep. Right about the time Burt sees Ava standing by the piano at that boring party.

What, what? 

I thought you were a huge fan.

anyways, took me a while to get into THE KILLERS, but the fourth time was the charm for me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I don't know what the movie is like, but the book [THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV] has to be one of the most dismal ever written.😒

Damn, impressive that you read it tho! For some reason, I have a thing for looooooong classic novels, but even I have drawn the line at that one. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 12:25 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I dunno, THE ASPHALT JUNGLE is perfect, and I have a great deal of affection for "freaks", "the Devil Doll" and especially "mark of the vampire." And MASK OF FU MANCHU...

MGM Was on fire in the 30s, but to me their output in subsequent decades is overall weak.

Hmm... Well, I admit the atmosphere in those films is plenty spooky, but I'm just not a fan. Mark of the Vampire leaves me cold. I don't like it. And I can't watch Freaks. It's too freaky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Hibi, a while ago I saw this really interesting documentary about colour in nature, and it said that the least common colour in the natural world is blue. (well, except for the sky, I guess...)

It said that the colour blue in plants and flowers is the rarest colour of all, and that there were very few flowers that were blue;and actually, a lot that are blue were developed to be so by botanists doing hybrids and science-y experiments. But blue occurring naturally in the plant world is unusual.

Interesting, eh?

Yes, I know. Blue in flowers is the rarest color (at least naturally) are just a handful of plants in that color range (more now thanks to hybridizing) Why I value the color in the garden! Purple seems more common.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

LOL. I will sometimes drift off for a few mins, but nothing on tv really puts me to sleep........

18 hours ago, Hibi said:

YES. And it just gets worse as I get older. I average maybe 5 hrs of sleep on a good night. Somewhat better in the winter time. I'm going to ask my doctor to put me on Ambien. Nothing helps.

So sorry.  I'm not necessarily against medication but I wonder, as I mentioned previously, if exercise would help.  Not saying to spend intense hours at a gym or anything like that but perhaps just walking an extra mile or two throughout your day so that energy would be expended and then you could crawl into bed at night with the lights out and hopefully zero noise and immediately fall asleep.

13 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Could WHITE HEAT be considered film noir?

I can only speak for myself but I say no. It's brilliantly acted (especially by the one and only James Cagney as psycho Cody Jarrett), well paced, and quite a bit of action, but I don't know, it just lacks something that I think would put it in noir territory. 

Having said that, I do love WHITE HEAT.

I've always thought of White Heat as more a really good crime movie, with psycho leader Cody Jarrett making it something unique. "That said", I won't argue with anyone who says it's a film noir; I can see that, it's got enough noir elements to deserve that label.

I think when you say "it just lacks something that I think would put it in noir territory", that "something" is the overall mood of alienation, isolation, nihilsim, desperation, entrapment, ...whatever you want to call that particular warped feeling that so many noirs of that period have. White Heat's story is told pretty much from the point of view of the undercover cop (Edmond O'Brien) assigned to basically ingratiate himself into Cody's gang and forward information about them to the police authorities. As such, it doesn't have some of the features of hopelessness,discontent, exclusion, and ennui that many noir characters evince in classic noirs.

What would have made White Heat an even better movie than it already is ( and it's already pretty fantastic, don't get me wrong, I love this film ) would be if the Edmond O'Brien character had shown more feelings of disorientation and inner conflict in his double-edged position as similtaneously spy for the police, and confidante of Cody Jarrett. 

Anyway, it's a great film, and I won't disagree with anyone who wants to call it a film noir.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OMG ME TOO! 

The first time I saw "the three faces of Eve" I was very impressed by Joanne, but frankly it was the performance of the actor playing her husband that really blew me away. He has what is actually the most challenging role in the picture, and honestly I think he gave the best performance.

ps- as I recall it, Lee J Cobb is pretty calm in "Anna and the king of Siam" with Rex Harrison and Irene Dunne. I think the fact that he was playing another race was enough to sate his hammy tendencies on that one

Ah, we have great taste!   

I had never realized just how versatile David Wayne was -- from the sophisticated "artsy" neighbor in ADAM'S RIB to the twisted title character in the 1951 M to a Bowery bum in O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE, on and on.  Terrific actor.

Yes!  ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM.  Another "sedate" Cobb role my Baby Boomer brain has played havoc with, lol.  First time I saw it I couldn't quite wrap my mind around Lee in full body make-up.  Although playing another race didn't seem to sate Rex Harrison's hammy tendencies, even though that part did call for a certain bombastic, "royal" performance.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ps- I just imdb'd LEE J COBB- he was in GREEN MANSIONS?!?!?!

i do not recall this...

I was checking his filmography too, and it said he had an unbilled role in a 1939 Bela Lugosi serial, THE PHANTOM CREEPS.  This must have been just before GOLDEN BOY, lol.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I don't know what the movie is like, but the book has to be one of the most dismal ever written.😒

I don't remember the book too well but can tell you that Lee is wonderfully loathsome as the dissolute father.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I will sometimes drift off for a few mins, but nothing on tv really puts me to sleep........

Wait a minute!  What about the My Pillow infomercial guy?

22 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I was checking his filmography too, and it said he had an unbilled role in a 1939 Bela Lugosi serial, THE PHANTOM CREEPS.  This must have been just before GOLDEN BOY, lol.

WHERE'D YOU SEE THAT?

Imdb does not list THE PHANTOM CREEPS among Cobb's credits....maybe he inspired the face of the homely robots and got credit for that?

(i see a resemblance)

film-26-the-phantom-creeps.jpg

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHERE'D YOU SEE THAT?

Imdb does not list THE PHANTOM CREEPS among Cobb's credits....maybe he inspired the face of the homely robots and got credit for that?

(i see a resemblance)

film-26-the-phantom-creeps.jpg

LOL!!!  You're right!!!  And I've seen that specific puss in 12 ANGRY MEN.  "Kids today!  You work and you slave and look how they turn out!"

It's stated in Wiki that he has an uncredited role as "Road Crew Foreman" and that there is "archived footage" whatever that is.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I've always thought of White Heat as more a really good crime movie, with psycho leader Cody Jarrett making it something unique. "That said", I won't argue with anyone who says it's a film noir; I can see that, it's got enough noir elements to deserve that label.

I think when you say "it just lacks something that I think would put it in noir territory", that "something" is the overall mood of alienation, isolation, nihilsim, desperation, entrapment, ...whatever you want to call that particular warped feeling that so many noirs of that period have. White Heat's story is told pretty much from the point of view of the undercover cop (Edmond O'Brien) assigned to basically ingratiate himself into Cody's gang and forward information about them to the police authorities. As such, it doesn't have some of the features of hopelessness,discontent, exclusion, and ennui that many noir characters evince in classic noirs.

What would have made White Heat an even better movie than it already is ( and it's already pretty fantastic, don't get me wrong, I love this film ) would be if the Edmond O'Brien character had shown more feelings of disorientation and inner conflict in his double-edged position as similtaneously spy for the police, and confidante of Cody Jarrett. 

Anyway, it's a great film, and I won't disagree with anyone who wants to call it a film noir.

You make some awesome observations there, which I couldn't have phrased better myself.

I like to add though that this was the 1940's where the 'bad guy' (Jarrett) had to be brought down, and the 'good guys' (Fallon and the cops) were determined to get him. The Production Code would not allow an undercover cop developing a close bond and fondness for the murderous criminal mastermind to undermine his mission to bring him to justice.

Besides Jarrett was too much of a cold-blooded psychopath for anyone, cop or criminal, to really warm up to. Fallon witnesses first hand what Jarrett is capable of. And Cody's own gang feared him, except Big Ed, and well....you saw what happened there.

(SPOILERS):

However, in the end Cody actually does outsmart the police....he does go out in a 'blaze'! It always amazes me that the people behind the Production Code didn't realize that  Cody's blowing himself up is, in a lot of ways, a major triumph over the law enforcement out to recapture him. Sure, Cody doesn't get away with the loot, but he also doesn't end up in the gas chamber either. He goes out his own way, as a spit in the face to everyone there to witness it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lorna, Lee played another foreman in an earlier serial, 1934's THE VANISHING SHADOW, according to Wiki.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

So sorry.  I'm not necessarily against medication but I wonder, as I mentioned previously, if exercise would help.  Not saying to spend intense hours at a gym or anything like that but perhaps just walking an extra mile or two throughout your day so that energy would be expended and then you could crawl into bed at night with the lights out and hopefully zero noise and immediately fall asleep.

Believe me, I get exercise. I garden for hours every day. Walk to and from my car 4 times a day usually during the warm months at work (10 mins each way). I'm always tired, but it doesnt translate into sleep.....

• Sad 1

I love The Killers, especially the first few minutes. Hey bright boy....what's on the menu

tonight, bright boy....You call this **** a BLT, bright boy....Yeah, he's a real bright

boy....Yeah, real bright....What's this hick town called, bright boy?....You don't know,

bright boy?....Yeah, maybe they should call it Brightboyville. Whad ya think of that,

bright boy?

I love Daddy Karamazov too. He's a gas, gas, gas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I love The Killers, especially the first few minutes. Hey bright boy....what's on the menu

tonight, bright boy....You call this **** a BLT, bright boy....Yeah, he's a real bright

boy....Yeah, real bright....What's this hick town called, bright boy?....You don't know,

bright boy?....Yeah, maybe they should call it Brightboyville. Whad ya think of that,

bright boy?

I love Daddy Karamazov too. He's a gas, gas, gas.

Please get started on your THE KILLERS KARAMAZOV slash fiction NOW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Believe me, I get exercise. I garden for hours every day. Walk to and from my car 4 times a day usually during the warm months at work (10 mins each way). I'm always tired, but it doesnt translate into sleep.....

This must be so frustrating for you.  

I'm not sure what else to suggest.  Assuming you're in good physical health, perhaps some therapy to get at the root of maybe a childhood trauma or phobia?   Hope I'm not being too personal.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Please get started on your THE KILLERS KARAMAZOV slash fiction NOW!

That could be one hot mess, but I think it's best to let each one be. I haven't

seen The Brothers Karamazov in a long time, but I'm sure LJC found some 

good ham explosions in the role of Daddy Karamazov.

One of the sleep hints I always see is that it's easier to fall asleep in a somewhat

cool room. No thanks, I like it nice and warm and cozy.