Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3,595 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, CaveGirl said:

Do you really, Bronxgirl? That is so interesting since I am obsessed with that movie and watch it over and over. Should I seek out a shrink?

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't care for VERTIGO, lol.  I'm the one who should probably seek out a shrink!

I want to like it, even love it, believe me, but I just can't.  And I'm a huge Hitch fan.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Oh, I love all those noirs you mentioned ! That bizarre, semi-nightmarish, disorienting, or as you say "colourfully existential stuff" is one of my favourite kinds of movie. I suppose you could add to that list, Night of the Hunter (don't know if it's technically a noir, but it's definitely "colourfully existential" and nightmarish ) along with Decoy (doesn't get much weirder than that), and Kiss Me Deadly, just to name a few.

However, that's not to say that I don't really enjoy the less macabre, surrealistic noirs. I think they're fun, too.

As I've said on these boards, several times I think, the only kind of so-called noir I dislike are the ones that present a psycho-killer as the protagonist. I'm not talking about noirs that just have a psycho -killer in them (there are a lot of them ), I mean, movies that kind of give the viewer the story through the psycho's point -of-view. I don't hold with psycho-killers as people I can empathize with, unless it's in the Talking Heads song.    Qu'est ce que c'est?

I've been seriously under the weather lately so forgive my late replies.

I can also enjoy a good police procedural/crime drama (which I think started with Fritz Lang's 1931 M) when the mood hits me, lol. 

Would you believe I've never heard that Talking Heads song?  Now you've got me thinking about movies with a psycho's p.o.v.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, Looney said:

I really liked BLACK MAGIC.  TWO FOR THE GUILLOTINE was not at all what I expected.  I thought it would be much darker.  I loved Connie Stevens in this.  She added a charm to this character I didn't expect.

Connie is a cutie-pie, that's for sure.  I even enjoyed Dean Jones, lol.  And one cannot ever have enough of Cesar Romero!

I hope TCM runs BLACK MAGIC again in the not too distant future.  As an Orson Welles fan I really want to see it.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, Brrrcold said:

Not going to take position on EM, though I think the whole noir thing is being overplayed by TCM; but that chef is truly annoying. Please bring back Claire Tooley.

Claire was definitely a step up even though I can do without any of them.  

She told Eddie that her favorite Hitchcock movie is THE BIRDS.

But who am I to judge since I don't care for VERTIGO, lol.

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't care for VERTIGO, lol.  I'm the one who should probably seek out a shrink!

I want to like it, even love it, believe me, but I just can't.  And I'm a huge Hitch fan.

You're allowed. I hesitate to say I really don't care for Paul Newman as an actor. I find him mannered and stiff. Can you imagine if I told people that here, I'd probably be burnt at the stake so don't say anything, okay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

You're allowed. I hesitate to say I really don't care for Paul Newman as an actor. I find him mannered and stiff. Can you imagine if I told people that here, I'd probably be burnt at the stake so don't say anything, okay?

Paul was always easy on the eyes but frankly he sneered a bit too much for my liking.  And don't get me started on TORN CURTAIN!  I can summarize that entire film in one word:  "stale".   Even TOPAZ is better by comparison!

The only actor I appreciate in VERTIGO is Tom Helmore as Gavin Elster.  In fact, he made such an impression on me that when I first viewed THE TENDER TRAP and saw Helmore coming out of an elevator to get acquainted with Celeste Holm, I yelled at her:  "Get away as fast as you can!!"

I enjoy Helmore's quiet, shaded cunning as Elster.  Yes, the actor himself may be bland but I find it works perfectly for the character as he's "introducing" himself to the audience and getting back in touch with Scottie to set up his evil plan.

• Thanks 1

Noir Alley Hiatus topic:

In my honest opinion Audrey Totter looked the sexiest in The Sellout

qahDjRe.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I kinda agree with you Bronxgirl48.  I don't think VERTIGO is the best movie of all time and like some others have said, not even the best Hitchcock.  It's OK and I like certain scenes but it's not on the level of PSYCHO, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, REAR WINDOW or SHADOW OF A DOUBT. 

• Like 3

Just now, ChristineHoard said:

I kinda agree with you Bronxgirl48.  I don't think VERTIGO is the best movie of all time and like some others have said, not even the best Hitchcock.  It's OK and I like certain scenes but it's not on the level of PSYCHO, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, REAR WINDOW or SHADOW OF A DOUBT. 

Agree for the most part on liking his others better, Vertigo was sort of a Hitchcock Experimental Color Noir, sui generis, unique. I'm glad it's there though.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2018 at 11:37 AM, Hibi said:

I'd seen Roadblock for the first time a year or two ago and liked it. I'd forgotten parts of it, so it was almost like seeing it for the first time again. That surprise beginning really threw me! I'd totally forgotten about that. Was nice to see McGraw in a sympathetic role (at least in the beginning) I thought Dixon was fine in her role also. The fact she turned out not to be a FF was an interesting twist.  Loved the ending and the final shot..........

Just to add an asterisk to Femme Fatales who turnout not to be, Audrey Totter in Man In the Dark does a similar turn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

My wife does not like Vertigo either and I haven't watched it in years.  Actually, the only thing I really like is (wait for it) Stewart's car.

As to Hitchcock, I enjoy The Birds, Marnie and North By Northwest and sometimes To Catch a Thief.

20 minutes ago, TheCid said:

My wife does not like Vertigo either and I haven't watched it in years.  Actually, the only thing I really like is (wait for it) Stewart's car.

waitwaitwait,

THE GREEN JAGUAR DOES NOTHING FOR YOU???!!!

Seriously, that's a detail I ALWAYS remember about VERTIGO, and I don't really like VERTIGO all that much.

Vertigo__jpg_667x667_q100.jpg

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

waitwaitwait,

THE GREEN JAGUAR DOES NOTHING FOR YOU???!!!

Seriously, that's a detail I ALWAYS remember about VERTIGO, and I don't really like VERTIGO all that much.

Vertigo__jpg_667x667_q100.jpg

Not my type of car, although I would love to have one.  I prefer the De Soto Firedome Sportsman Hardtop

1956 De Soto Firedome Sportsman Hardtop Coupe [S-23]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

VERTIGO (to me) is a bloated, overly engineered production.  

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN and SHADOW OF A DOUBT were (to me) some of Hitchcock's best.

Love that they were shot in black and white

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I too, truly dislike Vertigo.  It was so overrated.  I am not a fan of Kim Novak.  She is a total bore to watch. The film does not click.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Just to add an asterisk to Femme Fatales who turnout not to be, Audrey Totter in Man In the Dark does a similar turn.

Thanks for another film spoiler. I havent seen the film yet. :(

48 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Not my type of car, although I would love to have one.  I prefer the De Soto Firedome Sportsman Hardtop

1956 De Soto Firedome Sportsman Hardtop Coupe [S-23]

really?

i mean, i'm not even really a car person and I would make passionate love to that Jag, it is one beautiful car!

FULL DISCLOSURE: My mother used to own a green Jaguar that I was allowed to drive on occasion and damn, that was one  fine piece of automobile.

28 minutes ago, arpirose said:

I am not a fan of Kim Novak

Most likely, if Grace Kelly had not gotten married in 1956; she would have starred in this movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think PSYCHO was his most masterfully crafted (and important) film, but I like SHADOW OF A DOUBT the best.

VERTIGO s'allright, but I can think of a lot of other films of his that I like much more.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for another film spoiler. I havent seen the film yet. :(

Its really a minor plot point, the real draw for this film is the fact that is was the very first stereoscopic 3D film. Its got a denouement at the old Pacific Ocean Park's High Boy roller-coaster.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

really?

i mean, i'm not even really a car person and I would make passionate love to that Jag, it is one beautiful car!

FULL DISCLOSURE: My mother used to own a green Jaguar that I was allowed to drive on occasion and damn, that was one  fine piece of automobile.

Now if it was a Jag XKE, there would be no contest at all.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You're not the only person. I, too, am a HUGE Hitchcock fan, and I border on "not caring for" and "hating" Vertigo. I love the cinematography, the set location (I'm a San Franciscan), and the fashion. I just really hate the plot and the idea that a man has that much control over a woman to fulfill his selfish desire. I actually come out of the theatre angry each time I see it.

My top Hitchcock films:

1. Rear Window
  2. Foreign Correspondent
  3. Shadow of a Doubt
  4. Strangers on a Train

Why do I stop at 4? Because the fifth one often changes.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Paul was always easy on the eyes but frankly he sneered a bit too much for my liking.  And don't get me started on TORN CURTAIN!  I can summarize that entire film in one word:  "stale".   Even TOPAZ is better by comparison!

The only actor I appreciate in VERTIGO is Tom Helmore as Gavin Elster.  In fact, he made such an impression on me that when I first viewed THE TENDER TRAP and saw Helmore coming out of an elevator to get acquainted with Celeste Holm, I yelled at her:  "Get away as fast as you can!!"

I enjoy Helmore's quiet, shaded cunning as Elster.  Yes, the actor himself may be bland but I find it works perfectly for the character as he's "introducing" himself to the audience and getting back in touch with Scottie to set up his evil plan.

Nuff said about "Torn Curtain"!

I dig Helmore too. He really is quite good in the part, and probably not noticed or appreciated by any but the most astute viewer, namely you! The whole bit about Carlotta, and when he tells Scotty about the mental conditions of Madeleine's ancestral females, is well done. I too enjoy seeing Helmore in other roles, and always enjoy his rather sophisticated man of the 1950's appearance and mien. Great chat and thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1