Bogie56

Comrade Trump

1,081 posts in this topic

GROSS: How hard was it to find this out?

HARDING: It - Terry, it's been quite a year.

(LAUGHTER)

HARDING: It's been quite a lot of work, I mean, on a number of levels. First of all, this book has been secret. It wasn't announced. It wasn't on Amazon. No one knew about it until two weeks ago. We - I have a wonderful publisher called Sonny Mater (ph) who brought everything forward when the Mueller indictments came out. I stayed up all night and I rewrote the epilogue, and the book has been kind of crashed out in record time. And as far as I know, it's the first book on Trump and Russia. So that was one aspect of it. Another was the kind of sleuthing aspect. I mean, I've met a number of sources. Obviously, I met Christopher Steele before his dossier came out. But subsequently, I've kind of cultivated various intelligence contacts in Washington and in London and elsewhere in U.S., including actually in Philadelphia. And I've also had kind of various emails, intriguing messages, sometimes encrypted, from other people on this story who have supplied me information. And so I've built up a kind of network of sources.

But actually, if I'm honest with you, Terry, I mean, this book was quite easy to write because it is such a compelling story. It is like a thriller, but with bizarre elements, but just a kind of relentless plot. And I kind of wrote each chapter as sort of character by character so that there's a chapter on Steele, there's a chapter on Michael Flynn - who jokes to a Russian that he met that he was actually General Misha, which is Russian for Michael - and Paul Manafort, whom I met, and so on. And I - you know, the book, I think, came together in record time.

GROSS: You know, you're right. Initially, Trump was happy to have the Russia investigation deflect attention away from his business dealings in China and other emerging markets because you say, unlike in Russia, these were substantial and involved the payment of large bribes and kickbacks.

HARDING: Well, again, we can't prove this. But this is what the Steele dossier alleges. And it's based on Steele's own secret sources. And by the way, no one knows who they are, these secret sources. But I think one point, which is kind of very important on the sources, is that I've talked to friends of Steele's. And what they point out is that these sources were not new. They're not people that he kind of discovered yesterday. They are trusted contacts who essentially had proven themselves in other areas.

So for example, not many people kind of knew this - this is kind of a new aspect to my book - but Steele wrote more than a hundred reports after 2014 about the war in Ukraine - about what Russia was doing, about its sort of covert movement of tanks and troops, about its sort of strategic objectives. And these were well-received by U.S. intelligence. They were sent up the chain. They were circulated within the State Department. And they were, I was told, read by John Kerry and Victoria Nuland, who was the assistant secretary of state in charge for Europe at the time in the Obama administration.

In other words, the sources who were right on Ukraine were behind the Trump dossier. And the FBI knows that. The U.S. intelligence community knows that. And that's really why they take Steele pretty seriously. I mean, like any intelligence officer, his work is not perfect. He's not infallible. There may be some errors there. But broadly, I think people in British and American intelligence think the dossier is correct, which means that Donald Trump is compromised.

GROSS: Well, Luke Harding, thank you so much for talking with us. And thank you for your reporting.

HARDING: Thank you, Terry. It was great.

GROSS: Luke Harding is a foreign correspondent for The Guardian and author of the new book "Collusion." After we take a short break, David Edelstein will review the new film "Call Me By Your Name." This is FRESH AIR.

Putin says Olympic disqualifications are sign of U.S. meddling in Russia’s elections 

:lol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/putin-says-olympic-disqualifications-are-sign-of-us-meddling-in-russias-elections/2017/11/09/86775174-c556-11e7-9922-4151f5ca6168_story.html?utm_term=.0d3b5e3b28f3

What in the hell does the Olympic disqualifications has to do with their elections?:wacko::blink:

CHEATING is not a valid reason?

SATIRE

Panicked Donald Trump Jr. Tries To Cover Up Contact With WikiLeaks By Deleting Firefox Icon From Desktop

NEW YORK—Growing increasingly worried as news reports indicated that he communicated with the whistleblower organization during his father’s presidential campaign, a panicked Donald Trump Jr. reportedly tried to cover up his contact with WikiLeaks Friday by frantically deleting the Mozilla Firefox icon from his desktop. “Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****, I gotta make sure they never, ever track me down,” said Trump, who dragged and dropped the Firefox icon on his home screen to the computer’s recycling bin and then proceeded to turn off his Wi-Fi, close the laptop without powering down, insert the device into a gel sleeve, and hide it under his bed for “maximum protection.” “I hafta be super careful. These feds are breathing down my neck, so I’m gonna go off the grid for a little bit.” At press time, Trump, who deemed the situation an “unexpected emergency,” retrieved the laptop, restored the icon, and used the browser to order food delivery before deleting it again and carefully concealing the computer under a blanket.

https://politics.theonion.com/panicked-donald-trump-jr-tries-to-cover-up-contact-wit-1821133627

:lol:

• Haha 3