BetteDavisFan

What happened to Lolita?

24 posts in this topic

What happened to Lolita shown 2/15/17?  I was watching attentively (I think).  Humbert (James Mason) had just entered the house where he was sure he would find Clare Quilty (Peter Sellers).  Humbert called out Quilty's name twice...AND SUDDENLY there was text on the screen over the bullet-riddled oil painting of a woman, revealing that Humbert was convicted of Quilty's murder and died in prison...THE END.  I remember an entire scene of the confrontation and killing.  Did TCM cut it or did I fall asleep for 21/2 minutes?

What happened to Lolita shown 2/15/17?  I was watching attentively (I think).  Humbert (James Mason) had just entered the house where he was sure he would find Clare Quilty (Peter Sellers).  Humbert called out Quilty's name twice...AND SUDDENLY there was text on the screen over the bullet-riddled oil painting of a woman, revealing that Humbert was convicted of Quilty's murder and died in prison...THE END.  I remember an entire scene of the confrontation and killing.  Did TCM cut it or did I fall asleep for 21/2 minutes?

The scene you remember is at the beginning of the film.   From there it goes into a very long flashback (95% of the film) and back to  this house scene... The End.

• Like 2

How did they EVER make a movie of Lolita?

Seems I've SEEN that somewhere.   :D

Anyway, check out the remake with JEREMY IRONS as Humbert.  It's pretty good, and more true to the novel.

Sepiatone

whenever Nabokov comes up, I always have to pull out my "literary hipster" cred and point out that LOLITA is fine, but PNIN and THE DEFENSE are much, much better. the latter especially if you're a fan of chess.

You're right Lorna...my mistake...she was suppose to be the next big thing after some Joan of Arc crap....

s'all right.

i think Jovavich actually went on to a pretty solid (but not huge) singing career.

I think dating Mickey Rourke had something to do with her saying "no thanks" to HOLLYWOOD.

In the end all that matters is will anyone clap when you die and your picture shows up on the OSCARS these folks all just left us segment.....

I thought it was "Jovavich"...but maybe.

LAST THING i recall her in was GODS AND MONSTERS back in 1998....

It IS JOVOVICH, and it was LOLITA DAVIDOVICH that was in "Gods and Monsters".  And HER most recent film appearance was in THE LONG RIDE(2015)

MILLA (two "l's")  JOVOVICH will show up in this year's SHOCK AND AWE.

I get it.  Keeping those names straight can sometimes be a SONOVOVICH.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

It IS JOVOVICH, and it was LOLITA DAVIDOVICH that was in "Gods and Monsters".  And HER most recent film appearance was in THE LONG RIDE(2015)

Sepiatone

quote of the week, here.

eta: really, we should all be brushing up on our Russian, these days, nyet?

• Like 1

Sepiatone

Both Jovovich and Davidovich had brief affairs with Peter Bogdanovich. The affairs ended because their friends were getting tongue-tied.

• Like 2

quote of the week, here.

eta: really, we should all be brushing up on our Russian, these days, nyet?

I did mention elsewhere that I started calling everyone "comrade" just to get in the habit.  ;)

Sepiatone