AlamoScout210

Top favorite Westerns

36 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Do you think people liked John Wayne films because he was fulfilling their idea of bravery and heroism, and if he happened to give them strong acting entertainment that was just an added bonus, not a requirement..? In other threads people have discussed whether he was a draft dodger in the 40s. So there is a lot to be said in why people like him and don't like him.

Yes,  clearly there are fans of actors that tend to focus on films where the actor plays a character that fits some type of ideal that these fans find appealing. (and in the inverse don't like actors based on the type of characters they have played). 

E.g.  Mitchum;  two of his best performances are in Cape Fear and Night of the Hunter, but those are NOT heroic characters.     Shelley Winters is another example (she plays many annoying characters,  but she was one of the best at doing so).  

Personally I don't view actors that way.      I.e. I try not to let their private lives impact how I 'view' them as it relates to acting and I tend to like actors that can wear two hats (black and white),  depending on the character they are portraying.       

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Do you think people liked John Wayne films because he was fulfilling their idea of bravery and heroism, and if he happened to give them strong acting entertainment that was just an added bonus, not a requirement..? In other threads people have discussed whether he was a draft dodger in the 40s. So there is a lot to be said in why people like him and don't like him.

I never thought of him that way actually. I looked at him as an actor, and the movies as escapism, and as excellent Westerns. Liberty Valance would have been in my 7's or 8's, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  clearly there are fans of actors that tend to focus on films where the actor plays a character that fits some type of ideal that these fans find appealing. (and in the inverse don't like actors based on the type of characters they have played). 

E.g.  Mitchum;  two of his best performances are in Cape Fear and Night of the Hunter, but those are NOT heroic characters.     Shelley Winters is another example (she plays many annoying characters,  but she was one of the best at doing so).  

Personally I don't view actors that way.      I.e. I try not to let their private lives impact how I 'view' them as it relates to acting and I tend to like actors that can wear two hats (black and white),  depending on the character they are portraying.       

Night of the Hunter is one of my all-time favorites, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ChaplinsWolf said:

I never thought of him that way actually. I looked at him as an actor, and the movies as escapism, and as excellent Westerns. Liberty Valance would have been in my 7's or 8's, actually.

LIBERTY VALANCE is my least favorite one of his, from the 60s. He didn't care for it either. After it came out, he told the people on his next films he never wanted to do anything like that again where all he did was stand around. He liked action scenes.

I think CIRCUS WORLD is kind of dreadful too. Seems derivative of THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, and uses a lot of fake process shots. But it still has some value, because of the action and because he's playing another one of his strong character types.

From his later stuff in the 70s, I love THE SHOOTIST and I am a fan of BRANNIGAN, which was a change of pace for him. He appreciated working alongside actors whose talents were widely admired. So in BRANNIGAN, we get Richard Attenborough, Mell Ferrer and Ralph Meeker. Such a great supporting cast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChaplinsWolf said:

Night of the Hunter is one of my all-time favorites, actually.

One of mine also,  since it includes both Mitchum and Winters. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 2:38 PM, TopBilled said:

LIBERTY VALANCE is my least favorite one of his, from the 60s. He didn't care for it either. After it came out, he told the people on his next films he never wanted to do anything like that again where all he did was stand around. He liked action scenes.

I think CIRCUS WORLD is kind of dreadful too. Seems derivative of THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, and uses a lot of fake process shots. But it still has some value, because of the action and because he's playing another one of his strong character types.

From his later stuff in the 70s, I love THE SHOOTIST and I am a fan of BRANNIGAN, which was a change of pace for him. He appreciated working alongside actors whose talents were widely admired. So in BRANNIGAN, we get Richard Attenborough, Mell Ferrer and Ralph Meeker. Such a great supporting cast.

Anything I get Attenborough in I like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the John Wayne discussion....I'll just say that I don't give a hoot about the politics of actors. I only focus on what they do on the big screen. The rest is none of my business. Actually, the rest of it is probably just malicious gossip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kjrwe said:

Back to the John Wayne discussion....I'll just say that I don't give a hoot about the politics of actors. I only focus on what they do on the big screen. The rest is none of my business. Actually, the rest of it is probably just malicious gossip.

I also don't care about an actor's politics or what they do in their personal life as it relates to if I'll watch movies they are in and how much I enjoy those movies.

But I wouldn't view 'the rest' as just malicious gossip;  most is based on actual facts;  E.g. Wayne didn't serve during WWII,  and Fonda did go to Vietnam  (these two examples were chosen for a reason,  ha ha).

   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True about John Wayne and Jane Fonda...but that doesn't affect how I feel about their films.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top western must be the six-hour Lonesome Dove. Nothing like it before or since, but does TV mini-series qualify? After Dove comes Shane - a perfect Western with the iconic rugged individual as its main character, the gorgeous cinematography, and the classic simple tale of good and evil.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shane is the top of my favorite westerns list (btw-anyone notice that Pale Rider shares the same plot?)  After that would be anything with Jimmy Stewart, whether he plays the good guy or the bad guy.  Lonesome Dove (first series) gets honorable mention.  Duvall plays a really believable cowboy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us