Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

Charles Durning & painting by *Cagney light!

16 posts in this topic

1st of all I must admit I found the other "Painting by Light' segments in between movies on the network, rather silly, stupid & just another attempt to compete with those moronic nitwits over at AMC!? Example: Ving Rhames painting by light with *Bogey in '36's "Petrified Forest"

But I have known for many years that the great character actor & 2 time OSCAR contender: Charles Durning-(1923-) that unlike most other pros. in the business, of whom generally without missing a beat, when asked whom is they're role-model & or Idol, they about 90 per cent of the time cite: *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(1900-67) Even in this stunning summer of Golden Age/Studio-System Heavyweights that have went/passed away & within 2 to 3 months of one another? *Gregory Peck-(1916-2003) Is yet another that named *Tracy. But there are a few that idolize *Jim, as in *Cagney! & Charles Durning-(NOTE: When he 1st attempted at becoming an actor, they said he was too-short at about 5'5 or 5'6. & his answer was to remind the so-called executives of *Cagney, whom was 5'6 himself! & I recently saw Mr. Durning, sadly not looking very well. But the man is 80! Doing the same exact segment "Painting by Light" & of course about the legendary WB star he admired since he was a boy.) I also & It seemed to be more of it's amazing timing? *Sissy Spacek-(1949-) & her doing Atticus Finch, of course played by the then still alive, but only for awhile: *Gregory Peck! I was just pondering if there were other fans of TCM whom like that new bit, or not? But whom is Alan Cummings? I know who Alan Rickman is. He did a "Painting by Light" of *Jimmy Stewart. But A. Cummings has me stumped? & to a dear pal, of whom is sick at present-("H") I won't divulge her entire 1st name in respect to her. Please contact me. She's a huge *Cagney fan! & I don't think she'll mind if I let you guys & gals know this, I hope not? She even met the legendary actor, back in the late to middle 1960's! He has his special day on this coming Thursday & "Ms. H," you may want to get your VCR ready? I'll bet my Fedora TCM shows exactly what I was speaking of. Durning "Painting *Cagney by Light," throughout the day,-look out for-it! & My, mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you & I thank you!

Cummings is an excellent british character actor. He was in a "Circle of Friends" - the creep. In Emma as one of the friends she was trying to match mate. He is also in all 3 Spy Kids movies

I have to disagree with you Spencer that the Painting by Light segments on TCM are "rather silly, stupid, and just another attempt to compete with those moronic nitwits over at AMC". I have seen several of them now and find them facinating, innovative, captivating, and entertaining. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. And, why would TCM be attempting to "compete" with any other network, especially AMC, when TCM is already the very best movie network there is? And, if TCM is attempting to reach a wider audience with these segments, what's the harm in that?

Don't get me wrong please! I agree with you on

the whole, of this pretty new & an attempt again to compete with AMC In that "Painting by Light" Is rather asinine! I just liked the 1 concerning Charles Durning & the fact that *Cagney is his all-time Idol/Hero! But they are a bit ridiculous overall! & sorry to say I got a bit of facts fans: AMC Is winning in the ratings, I am truly sad to say.

If AMC is "winning the ratings", I believe it might be purely because anyone who has a TV set can get that channel, while only people willing to invest in additional programming (through satellite or digital packages) are able to get TCM. I get TCM only because I purchased a larger and more expensive satellite package (quite deliberately) that included it. Therefore, the "facts" about who is winning the ratings between AMC and TCM is very unreliable unless the variable of "population" with access to both channels was included and adjusted for.

i agree that the Painting w/Light segments are silly & wastes of time. Alan Rickman? Has he done anything notable since being the bad guy in Die Hard? Okay, okay, don't list his entire filmography for me now. But seriously, I love the bits where artists who were there recount their stories of working with the stars (e.g., Ann Blyth on Joan Crawford/Mildred Pierce), but who really cares whether Ving Rhames finds inspiration in BOgie's brilliance when he's trying to get into character for Mission Impossible 2. Puh-leez. Seems like star-f*cking to me.

love the painting with light segments show great

immagination tcm put more stars of yesteryear on that

segment to paint wonderful!.......

The latest "Painting with Light" is Sissy Spacek doing "To Kill A Mockingbird" and I have to say, contrary to popular opinion (?), that I don't get much out of these segments. They're somewhat silly, really, IMO.

Path, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the Sissie Spacek "painting with light" segment has been around for ages! Of all of them, it's the only one that I find to be well-done and interesting, right down to the piano music in it, which I wish I could find the title of. Interesting that people either love or hate these things. ;)ML

sorry but to those who don't follow or can't appreciate the whimsy of 'points of light' well, I think it's cause you're immerched too much in those silents that TCM loves to show!

sorry but to those who don't follow or can't appreciate the whimsy of 'points of light' well, I think it's cause you're immerched too much in those silents that TCM loves to show!

Leo

No problem with your spelling, Leo. I actually thought that it was a word I didn't know...so I was trying to look it up when I realized that you had just made a spelling error. We all do that from time to time. ;)

In following your posts, I can see that you don't hold any value for the Silent Era, and the films from it. You must have a good reason....would you like to tell us about it sometime? I may disagree with you, but I do value the opinions of others and would like to hear more about this from you. Thanks! ML