Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

My Top Ten Favorites

16 posts in this topic

These are my top ten favorite films in chronological order, let me know what you think or post your own 10 favorites.

1. Gunga Din (1939) greatest action adventure film ever made. Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks Jr are heroic and funny.

2. Shadow Of A Doubt (1943) my favorite Hitchcock film. Teresa Wright is a spunky heroine and Joseph Cotten is one of the greatest villains of all time.

3. Detective Story (1951) A tough character study, Kirk Douglas's greatest performance and the best portrayal of police work on film.

4. From Here To Eternity (1953) An engrossing story of soldiers just before WWII with Montgomery Clift's best performance.

5. On The Waterfront (1954) An excellent look at corruption and conscience with gritty real locations and Marlon Brando gives the greatest male performance i have seen on film.

6. Marty (1955) Ernest Borgnine is excellent as the average guy looking for love. The most realistic view of ordinary people I have ever seen.

7. Night Of The Hunter (1955) A masterpiece of suspense with great Charles Laughton direction, stunning photography and a frightening portrayal by Robert Mitchum.

8. Rosemary's Baby (1968) My favorite horror film, the suspense builds to a horrifying climax. Mia Farrow is excellent and sympathetic.

9. Midnight Cowboy (1969) great look at 1960s New York with greatest double lead performances in a film by Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.

10. Taxi Driver (1976) A disturbing and fascinating look at crime and madness in gritty and dangerous 1970s New York. Robert DeNiro's greatest performance.

• Like 2

My top ten films.

1.  Citizen Kane (1941)

2.  Dr. Strangelove (1964)

3.  The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

4.  On the Waterfront (1954)

5.  Casablanca (1942)

6.  Paths of Glory (1957)

7.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

8.  The Wild Bunch (1969)

9.  The Conformist (1970)

10.  Raging Bull (1980)

• Like 1

My top ten films.

1.  Citizen Kane (1941)

2.  Dr. Strangelove (1964)

3.  The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

4.  On the Waterfront (1954)

5.  Casablanca (1942)

6.  Paths of Glory (1957)

7.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

8.  The Wild Bunch (1969)

9.  The Conformist (1970)

10.  Raging Bull (1980)

Nice, I see we agree on On The Waterfront, Paths Of Glory is my favorite Kubrick film and in my top 20. The only one I haven't seen on your list is The Conformist.

Nice, I see we agree on On The Waterfront, Paths Of Glory is my favorite Kubrick film and in my top 20. The only one I haven't seen on your list is The Conformist.

I'm afraid to say that outside of Casablanca they all are basically men's pictures.  But there you go.

TOP TEN ALL-TIME FAVORITES

1)  Apocalypse Now

2)  Taxi Driver

3)  The Godfather Trilogy

4)  Goodfellas

5)  The Shining

6)  Raging Bull

7)  The Original Star Wars Trilogy

8)  Dr. Strangelove

9)  Chinatown

10)  2001: A Space Odyssey

• Like 2

These are my top ten favorite films in chronological order, let me know what you think or post your own 10 favorites.

1. Gunga Din (1939) greatest action adventure film ever made. Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks Jr are heroic and funny.

2. Shadow Of A Doubt (1943) my favorite Hitchcock film. Teresa Wright is a spunky heroine and Joseph Cotten is one of the greatest villains of all time.

3. Detective Story (1951) A tough character study, Kirk Douglas's greatest performance and the best portrayal of police work on film.

4. From Here To Eternity (1953) An engrossing story of soldiers just before WWII with Montgomery Clift's best performance.

5. On The Waterfront (1954) An excellent look at corruption and conscience with gritty real locations and Marlon Brando gives the greatest male performance i have seen on film.

6. Marty (1955) Ernest Borgnine is excellent as the average guy looking for love. The most realistic view of ordinary people I have ever seen.

7. Night Of The Hunter (1955) A masterpiece of suspense with great Charles Laughton direction, stunning photography and a frightening portrayal by Robert Mitchum.

8. Rosemary's Baby (1968) My favorite horror film, the suspense builds to a horrifying climax. Mia Farrow is excellent and sympathetic.

9. Midnight Cowboy (1969) great look at 1960s New York with greatest double lead performances in a film by Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.

10. Taxi Driver (1976) A disturbing and fascinating look at crime and madness in gritty and dangerous 1970s New York. Robert DeNiro's greatest performance.

Although none of those is one of my favorites, I do like all these films.  Generally, when someone posts their favorite films, I look at the list and simply cannot imagine, why?  lol  It's very difficult to pick just 10 films that are favorites; but, generally, this is the list:

1.  THE SOUND OF MUSIC

2.  VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960)

3.  THE BIRDS

4.  THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS

5.  THE MIRACLE WORKER

6.   BLOW OUT

7.   FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

8.   AIRPORT

9.   THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

10.  THE MUMMY (1999)

TOP TEN ALL-TIME FAVORITES

1)  Apocalypse Now

2)  Taxi Driver

3)  The Godfather Trilogy

4)  Goodfellas

5)  The Shining

6)  Raging Bull

7)  The Original Star Wars Trilogy

8)  Dr. Strangelove

9)  Chinatown

10)  2001: A Space Odyssey

I have seen all of these, my favorites being Goodfellas,(my favorite gangster film) and 2001 (my favorite sci fi)

Although none of these is one of my favorites, I do like all these films.  Generally, when someone posts their favorite films, I look at the list and simply cannot imagine, why?  lol  It's very difficult to pick just 10 films that are favorites; but, generally, this is the list:

1.  THE SOUND OF MUSIC

2.  VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960)

3.  THE BIRDS

4.  THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS

5.  THE MIRACLE WORKER

6.   BLOW OUT

7.   FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

8.   AIRPORT

9.   THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

10.  THE MUMMY (1999)

I have seen all of these, my favorite maybe The Miracle Worker for the two powerful performances by Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke. I have a special place for The Trouble With Angels since I am a big Hayley Mills fan

My Top 10:

1. The Long Long Trailer

2. Casablanca

3. Gentleman Jim

4. Meet Me in St. Louis

5. Singin' in the Rain

6. Sabrina

7. The Major and the Minor

8. Picnic

9. Some Like it Hot

10. Gilda

There are so many films that I love that my Top 10 can change on any given day--except for The Long Long Trailer being #1.  But these movies all generally make the cut.

Other movies that I also love, but couldn't decide what other movie to sacrifice:

All About Eve

Double Indemnity

Funny Face

The Muppet Movie

The Wizard of Oz

Easter Parade

Rear Window

Pillow Talk

My Top 10:

1. The Long Long Trailer

2. Casablanca

3. Gentleman Jim

4. Meet Me in St. Louis

5. Singin' in the Rain

6. Sabrina

7. The Major and the Minor

8. Picnic

9. Some Like it Hot

10. Gilda

There are so many films that I love that my Top 10 can change on any given day--except for The Long Long Trailer being #1.  But these movies all generally make the cut.

Other movies that I also love, but couldn't decide what other movie to sacrifice:

All About Eve

Double Indemnity

Funny Face

The Muppet Movie

The Wizard of Oz

Easter Parade

Rear Window

Pillow Talk

There are 3 on your list I have not seen-Gentleman Jim, The Major And The Minor and Gilda. My favorite is Meet Me in St Louis, love Judy Garland, Margaret O Brien and all the songs.

1. Casablanca

2. Fantasia

3. Singin’ in the Rain

​4. It’s a Wonderful Life

​5. Citizen Kane

​6. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

7. Horse Feathers

8. Grease

9. The Wizard of Oz

10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

1. Casablanca

2. Fantasia

3. Singin’ in the Rain

​4. It’s a Wonderful Life

​5. Citizen Kane

​6. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

7. Horse Feathers

8. Grease

9. The Wizard of Oz

10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

I have seen all except for Grease. My favorite is the hilarious Marx Bros film Horse Feathers

• Like 1

Contemporary (post-60s)

1. Top Secret!

2. Better Off Dead

3. Star Wars

4. Smokey and the Bandit

5. The Naked Gun

6. The Empire Strikes Back

7. The Thing

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark

9. Young Frankenstein

10. The Shining

Classic (pre-70s)

1. Scarlet Street

2. Cape Fear

3. Once Upon a Time in the West

4. M

5. Pickup on South Street

6. 12 Angry Men

7. Night and the City

8. Out of the Past

9. Psycho

10. Inherit the Wind

• Like 2

Well first of all welcome to the boards!

You would not happen to be a refuge from the IMDB message boards would you? If you are I think you will find the conversations here a whole lot more courteous and fun.

If not from the IMDB boards, welcome anyway!

As Speedracer has written, I agree with him. My lists of top tens can and has changed based on any number of factors. But I think one can have a personal favorite list of so-called “guilty pleasures” and that list can change from time to time.

One of the great contributors here FrankGrimes (Scott) and I have often creating lists that eventually cause great deals of conversations. And even though I have not posted in my own thread titled “LISTS” right here on the Favorites forum, I hope to continue writing there soon.

If I were to select what I would call a “Guilty Pleasures” Top Ten list of favorites it would deb based on what I would say are the two eras of classic film making. One era ended in 1959 and the other era started in 1960. We all here have had many debates on just what year the classic old movie studio system ended and the new era started.

I have always felt that even though the old-style movie production code ended in 1968, many of the so-called Golden era Hollywood films were still being produced well into the mid to late 1960’s. But to me one has to pick a year and even though many 1960’s era films looked like production code films from the Golden Age of Films, many, many more were of a new breed. So I use 1959 as the last year of the old-style movie production era. 1960 starts with the new, modern era.

So here then are two Top Ten lists. One from before 1960 and one after 1960:

List One:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The Talk of the Town (1942)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

Twelve O’Clock High (1949)

The Cruel Sea (1953)

Winchester ’73 (1950)

The Fastest Gun Alive (1956)

The Enemy Below (1957)

List Two:

Ride the High Country (1962)

McLintock! (1963)

Fail-Safe (1964)

Seven Days in May (1964)

The Professionals (1966)

Bite the Bullet (1975)

The Wind and the Lion (1975)

The Natural (1984)

Defending Your Life (1991)

The World’s Fastest Indian (2006)

Well first of all welcome to the boards!

You would not happen to be a refuge from the IMDB message boards would you? If you are I think you will find the conversations here a whole lot more courteous and fun.

If not from the IMDB boards, welcome anyway!

As Speedracer has written, I agree with him. My lists of top tens can and has changed based on any number of factors. But I think one can have a personal favorite list of so-called “guilty pleasures” and that list can change from time to time.

One of the great contributors here FrankGrimes (Scott) and I have often creating lists that eventually cause great deals of conversations. And even though I have not posted in my own thread titled “LISTS” right here on the Favorites forum, I hope to continue writing there soon.

If I were to select what I would call a “Guilty Pleasures” Top Ten list of favorites it would deb based on what I would say are the two eras of classic film making. One era ended in 1959 and the other era started in 1960. We all here have had many debates on just what year the classic old movie studio system ended and the new era started.

I have always felt that even though the old-style movie production code ended in 1968, many of the so-called Golden era Hollywood films were still being produced well into the mid to late 1960’s. But to me one has to pick a year and even though many 1960’s era films looked like production code films from the Golden Age of Films, many, many more were of a new breed. So I use 1959 as the last year of the old-style movie production era. 1960 starts with the new, modern era.

List One:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The Talk of the Town (1942)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

Twelve O’Clock High (1949)

The Cruel Sea (1953)

Winchester ’73 (1950)

The Enemy Below (1957)

List Two:

Ride the High Country (1962)

McLintock! (1963)

Fail-Safe (1964)

Seven Days in May (1964)

The Professionals (1966)

Bite the Bullet (1975)

The Wind and the Lion (1975)

The Natural (1984)

Hi, yes I was previously on IMDB message boards, I don't really miss it that much. Glad to be here.

There are many I have not seen on your lists

The Cruel Sea (195

The Enemy Below (1957)

Fail-Safe (1964)

My favorite is Ride The High Country, one of my favorite westerns. I think it is Sam Peckinpah's best film and has a gang of great villains with the nasty Hammond gang.

I just wanted to say how happy I am to see A Matter Of Life And Death on someone else's list. It is in my top 3 favorite films (of all eras!)

• Like 1