Sign in to follow this  
JamesStewartFan95

Juvenile Actors: Separating the Kids from the Adults

3 posts in this topic

As we are currently at the year 1985 in Bogie56's Awards Topic post, the problem resurfaces of deciding what constitutes a juvenile actor. What is the cutoff for who is considered a juvenile actor in a given year? For example, for 1955 I placed Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo in the Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor categories respectively, but for 1976 I chose Jodie Foster as the Best Juvenile Actor. What would be the case for The Breakfast Club?

• Like 1

I would tend to think the age of 16 or possibly 17 at the time of filming constitutes a performance by a juvenile.  Generally you can subtract a year from the release date to get an approximation of when it was filmed.  So then I would look to the imdb to see what the birthdate is for the performer you are considering.  

• Like 2

For myself I follow the rule that someone who hasn't reached the age of seventeen in the year of release counts as juvenile. E.g. Molly Ringwald was born in 1968, so I nominated her for juvenile in 1984, but in 1985 she will have to compete with the grown-ups. In 1985 anyone born in 1969 or later counts as juvenile for me, but that's just a rule I invented for myself to draw the line somewhere.

Don't forget that a juvenile can also be nominated in the main category.

• Like 1