Sign in to follow this  
Badcar

Movies! TV Network

11 posts in this topic

Most television stations broadcast movies in the wrong aspect ratio, and always have.  They do it, because people whine about black bars, and always have!

Then why is the picture vertically squished short and fat, and the black bars on the top and bottom are still there?  Squishing vertically is the wrong way to eliminate the black bars.  I know that broadcasters stretch the aspect ratio tall and skinny to fill the screen, but this network does the opposite of that.  It makes no sense.  I have contacted their feedback address but there's no reply.

Then why is the picture vertically squished short and fat, and the black bars on the top and bottom are still there?  Squishing vertically is the wrong way to eliminate the black bars.  I know that broadcasters stretch the aspect ratio tall and skinny to fill the screen, but this network does the opposite of that.  It makes no sense.  I have contacted their feedback address but there's no reply.

Isn't MOVIES-TV an over the air station and that is the reason for the aspect ratio as well as over-the-air censorship of content (versus cable which has as different level of censorship).

Yes I noticed censorship yesterday, a middle finger gesture was blurred.

I don't know why over-the-air would be the reason for incorrect aspect ratio.

The over-the-air stations here that broadcast correct aspect ratios:  CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS, CW, COZI, My TV, Me TV, Telemundo, GRIT.

The over-the-air stations here that broadcast wrong aspect ratios:  Movies!, TBN.

On 3/3/2017 at 9:02 PM, Badcar said:

I've seen the channel before and the aspect ratio seems fine. Maybe something's wrong with your TV.

I watch INSP, with Comcast, and it is SD. All wide-screen content has black all the way around. Only old formatting, CRT style works, and there is a gap on the top and bottom.

There are ways to manually adjust the aspect ratio on your TV, and you may be in the wrong mode. If the 4:3 aspect ratio fills the screen, and everyone is fat, it could be your display settings.

For some reason, there are some SD channels that the cable companies send out in a stretched out format. It's not something that can be adjusted on either your TV or the cable box. Comcast/Xfinity, in my area at least, used to have 3 or 4 channels with this problem, all SD, and all are among those newer "franchised" stations like MeTV, getTV, Grit, Bounce, etc. etc. These channels are all carried in conjunction in your local area by one of your local broadcasters. I believe the issue could possibly be a problem with those local TV partners, but whatever it is, it's not the fault of the viewer's TV or cable box settings in all cases. 

After many complaints, all of those issues were eventually fixed on my cable carrier. That is, until about two weeks ago, when one of those same stations, AntennaTV, started showing up stretched out again. Some people with widescreen TVs prefer it, since they want to fill up their entire screens, but I always prefer the original broadcast ratio. 

INSP is the only SD channel I watch with any regularity. I watch Matlock which is not widescreen. There is a small gap top and bottom. Anything that is widescreen, only fills the center of the screen. It is annoying at best. I don't know who is at fault. My opinion is changing the aspect ratio is just to difficult to do on the fly for broadcasters. SD widescreen is 720 x 480, so it only uses that space on the screen, not 1920 x 1080.

INSP is not piggybacked to a TV channel. I have to place the blame with either INSP or Comcast. Trying to communicate with INSP is similar to chatting with TCM.

22 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

INSP is the only SD channel I watch with any regularity. I watch Matlock which is not widescreen. There is a small gap top and bottom. Anything that is widescreen, only fills the center of the screen. It is annoying at best. I don't know who is at fault. My opinion is changing the aspect ratio is just to difficult to do on the fly for broadcasters. SD widescreen is 720 x 480, so it only uses that space on the screen, not 1920 x 1080.

INSP is not piggybacked to a TV channel. I have to place the blame with either INSP or Comcast. Trying to communicate with INSP is similar to chatting with TCM.

If you're getting a picture that has black bars on all four sides of the image, then you should be able to adjust that with either your TV settings or your cable box settings. I hardly ever watch any of the SD channels (I'm usually watching movies!), but if I have to, and there are four-sided bars, then choosing "zoom" on the TV remote (meaning the actual TV remote, and not the cable remote) should fix the image. Some TV's have different terminology and settings, so I can't be 100% unless I'm looking at the TV and other equipment in person.

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If you're getting a picture that has black bars on all four sides of the image, then you should be able to adjust that with either your TV settings or your cable box settings. I hardly ever watch any of the SD channels (I'm usually watching movies!), but if I have to, and there are four-sided bars, then choosing "zoom" on the TV remote (meaning the actual TV remote, and not the cable remote) should fix the image. Some TV's have different terminology and settings, so I can't be 100% unless I'm looking at the TV and other equipment in person.

If you can live with commercials, INSP has great movies on weekends. I do know about zoom. It is an option on both my TV remote and Comcast remote. When I watch Matlock, only the commercials are widescreen. Thanks though!

The Duke Days of Summer comes in July on INSP. Just like TCM, they have themes, and all times are Eastern.

Here is more than you probably wanted to know about Movies TV Network: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movies!

• Thanks 1