Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

OFF TOPIC OBITS

15 posts in this topic

How is Bill Paxton's death off topic? He was an actor, writer, composer and director.

Off topic obits would be for sports figures or politicians or any other non-film or TV-related individuals.

• Like 1

They didn't elaborate on his surgery, but as doctors say, there's no such thing as a simple procedure.  I like Paxton very much.  RIP.

bill-paxton.jpg

How is Bill Paxton's death off topic? He was an actor, writer, composer and director.

Off topic obits would be for sports figures or politicians or any other non-film or TV-related individuals.

You mean like the death on the 10th of MIKE ILITCH, owner of The Detroit Tigers baseball team and the Detroit Red Wings hockey team?  And founder of the LITTLE CAESAR'S pizza empire?  A rabid Detroit supporter and tireless(it seemed) behind the scenes worker for this city's progress, he was admired and respected by people in both the city and it's suburbs and among his business peers, even many of his competitors.

An honest to goodness "good guy", he wasn't merely an "icon" in Detroit, he was an INSTITUTION.

You mean THAT sort of thing?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

You mean like the death on the 10th of MIKE ILITCH, owner of The Detroit Tigers baseball team and the Detroit Red Wings hockey team?  And founder of the LITTLE CAESAR'S pizza empire?  A rabid Detroit supporter and tireless(it seemed) behind the scenes worker for this city's progress, he was admired and respected by people in both the city and it's suburbs and among his business peers, even many of his competitors.

An honest to goodness "good guy", he wasn't merely an "icon" in Detroit, he was an INSTITUTION.

Sepiatone

Here was his first Little Caesar's franchsise.

littlecaesars-firstfranchised.jpg

Don't know if he ate there or not. :P

sjff_01_img0291.jpg

• Like 1

Exactly. That would be a worthy addition to the threads, I think, to discuss the lives of non-movie/TV/music types. I was all set to actually compliment Jake on a good idea. 

Film historian Robert Osborne dead at 84

Noted film historian Robert Osborne died, Fox News confirms.

He was the primary host of Turner Classic Movies and was also a host on The Movie Channel.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/03/06/film-historian-robert-osborne-dead-at-84.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/robert-osborne-beloved-host-turner-classic-movies-dies-190243763.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/robert-osborne-died-dead-tcm-201240796.html

Film historian Robert Osborne dead at 84

Noted film historian Robert Osborne died, Fox News confirms.

He was the primary host of Turner Classic Movies and was also a host on The Movie Channel.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/03/06/film-historian-robert-osborne-dead-at-84.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/robert-osborne-beloved-host-turner-classic-movies-dies-190243763.html

See "General Discussions" for the main discussion.

• Like 1

Ow....

Chuck was, is and will always remain my MAIN MAN.  Probably spurred more guys to pick up a guitar and want to learn to play than anyone ELSE in the last half of the 20th century.  I've LONG considrered him the TRUE "King" of rock'n'roll.

almost ALL of our "guitar heroes" claimed him to be their main influence.  Certainly MINE.  Was a time if you bragged you could play "Johnny B. Goode" and PROVE it, you were IN!

Rest in peace Chuck.  I'll be playing all the discs in my box set the rest of the weekend.  On 11!

Sepiatone

• Like 2