Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

TOXIC OSCAR SHOCK FLOP! MOONLIT BEATS TRALALA LAND!

316 posts in this topic

Oh, ok....I thought the poster was referring to the actual speech the woman [EILEEN HECKART] who won gave  (must admit, I've never heard of her.)

As for Robert Duvall laughing as he reads Shelly Winters' name, I did think that was rude and lacking in class. I'm surprised a quality guy like Duvall did that.

Really?

She played Paul Newman's ma in SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME the same year she got her first nomination for supporting actress for a very brief (it may be just one scene) role as a drunken mother mourning her dead son in THE BAD SEED. She was also in HOT SPELL as Shirley Booth's pal and had a small role as Diane Keaton's mom in THE FIRST WIVES CLUB.

She was a really, really good actress.

• Like 2

one of my favorite online comments in re: the debacle was:

"they got the wrong sibling. If it'd been SHIRLEY MACLAINE up there, she'd've looked at the envelope and within 5 seconds said "what the Hell is this ****? You ******s better give me the right ******* ******** envelope or I'm gonna have to cut someone."

• Like 3

one of my favorite online comments in re: the debacle was:

"they got the wrong sibling. If it'd been SHIRLEY MACLAINE up there, she'd've looked at the envelope and within 5 seconds said "what the Hell is this ****? You ******s better give me the right ******* ******** envelope or I'm gonna have to cut someone."

Love this.  You bet she would have kicked a **!

• Like 2

COPIED AND PASTED FROM A "NEW YORKER" ARTICLE:

FAYE DUNAWAY: "I really ****** that up!"

Had the Oscar for Best Picture been awarded to Moonlight without incident on Sunday night, The New Yorker’s Michael Schulman likely would have written a more typical party report, filled with observations about who ignored whom, and overheard conversations between Nicole Kidman and Emma Stone. But because of the, uh, envelope problem, it opens with some commentary from Cheryl Boone Isaacs, the president of the Academy.

Isaacs was “sitting on a white sofa staring at her phone” when Schulman asked what was “going through her mind.” With or without looking up from her phone (that part wasn’t clear), she said:

“Horror. I just thought, What? What? I looked out and I saw a member of Pricewaterhouse coming on the stage, and I was, like, Oh, no, what—what’s happening? What what WHAT? What could possibly . . . ? And then I just thought, Oh, my God, how does this happen? How. Does. This. Happen.”

She then sighed and said, “And it was such a wonderful show.”

Less horrified was Faye Dunaway, who misinterpreted the envelope and proclaimed La La Land the winner. Though I’d never place the blame on her or Warren (this was all Brian’s fault, remember?), the legendary actress was overheard accepting responsibility while at the bar, where “one reporter had overheard her saying, ‘I really **** that up.’”

[The New Yorker]

COPIED AND PASTED FROM A "NEW YORKER" ARTICLE:

FAYE DUNAWAY: "I really ****** that up!"

Had the Oscar for Best Picture been awarded to Moonlight without incident on Sunday night, The New Yorker’s Michael Schulman likely would have written a more typical party report, filled with observations about who ignored whom, and overheard conversations between Nicole Kidman and Emma Stone. But because of the, uh, envelope problem, it opens with some commentary from Cheryl Boone Isaacs, the president of the Academy.

Isaacs was “sitting on a white sofa staring at her phone” when Schulman asked what was “going through her mind.” With or without looking up from her phone (that part wasn’t clear), she said:

“Horror. I just thought, What? What? I looked out and I saw a member of Pricewaterhouse coming on the stage, and I was, like, Oh, no, what—what’s happening? What what WHAT? What could possibly . . . ? And then I just thought, Oh, my God, how does this happen? How. Does. This. Happen.”

She then sighed and said, “And it was such a wonderful show.”

Less horrified was Faye Dunaway, who misinterpreted the envelope and proclaimed La La Land the winner. Though I’d never place the blame on her or Warren (this was all Brian’s fault, remember?), the legendary actress was overheard accepting responsibility while at the bar, where “one reporter had overheard her saying, ‘I really **** that up.’”

[The New Yorker]

Maybe the Price Waterhouse guy thought that BONNIE AND CLYDE was much too violent. Payback time.

• Like 1

After the flub, Oscars ratings flirt with record low ratings

The 89th Academy Awards sure ended with a bang, but the ratings were anything but.

Preliminary national ratings, adjusted for time zones across the country, revealed 32.9 million viewers tuned in Sunday night to the nearly four-hour ceremony on ABC, hosted for the first time by the network's late-night host Jimmy Kimmel. That's just a shade above the record-low turnout of 32 million logged in 2008, in the middle of a writers' strike that crippled Hollywood.

Last year's telecast claimed 34.4, when Chris Rock hosted and Spotlight won best picture, but the show more typically draws closer to 40 million, according to Nielsen.

************************************************************************************

Too many people are turned off by how political this has all become. You can't even watch awards about the movies anymore without politics being thrown in your face. I hope TCM is paying attention.

That's just your opinion.

Really?

She played Paul Newman's ma in SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME the same year she got her first nomination for supporting actress for a very brief (it may be just one scene) role as a drunken mother mourning her dead son in THE BAD SEED. She was also in HOT SPELL as Shirley Booth's pal and had a small role as Diane Keaton's mom in THE FIRST WIVES CLUB.

Yes, she was. She actually had 2 scenes in The Bad Seed. Very poignant performance.

• Like 2

According to the latest news reports, one of the two PW folks charged with handling the award envelopes (Brian Cullinan) was instead taking pix of Emma Stone and tweeting just prior to handing the wrong envelope to Warren Beatty.  

There is a point in this which I do not understand. The name of the award to be presented is printed on the envelope. It is not surprising to me that the person who handles the envelopes picked the wrong one. There are many ways in which that can happen. But how can any person be handed any kind of document and not look at it to see if it is right and proper? What if he had been handed an invitation to an after-awards party or a piece of paper for him to autograph? I can imagine him going on stage and finding he was holding a shopping list or an illicit love letter. 

I grant that the printing on the envelopes is not high-contrast but the images which I have seen show that it is reasonably large font and is easy to read.

• Like 4

There is a point in this which I do not understand. The name of the award to be presented is printed on the envelope. It is not surprising to me that the person who handles the envelopes picked the wrong one. There are many ways in which that can happen. But how can any person be handed any kind of document and not look at it to see if it is right and proper? What if he had been handed an invitation to an after-awards party or a piece of paper for him to autograph? I can imagine him going on stage and finding he was holding a shopping list or an illicit love letter. 

I grant that the printing on the envelopes is not high-contrast but the images which I have seen show that it is reasonably large font and is easy to read.

I heard the sound clip this morning.  I noticed the male presenter paused for longer than he should have, then the female presenter hurried him up.  It sounded like, for a brief moment in time, he "almost" had a mind of his own, but not quite.  Certainly not enough to avert that disaster.  I would have said "hey - this envelope is for the wrong contest".

• Like 1

As I stated before Beatty and Dunaway werent wearing their reading glasses and probably couldnt see well. (LOL)

You know,

from the time i was 12 through my late 20's (im 39 now), I was obsessed with the Oscars. nOT ONLY did I watch the entire damn show every year, but i was obsessive about handicapping, predicting noms and winners, and even seeing the nominated films.

I USED TO SET THE VCR TO TAPE THE NOMINATION ANNOUNCEMENTS BECAUSE I WAS IN SCHOOL FER GODSAKE!

there was no one particular instance** that "turned me off" to the show, but my interest grew less and less to where i have not watched an entire broadcast since CHICAGO won and- before the incident on Sunday- hadn't even watched any part of the show for ten years now. it's gotten to where i don't even check online that night to see who won or read much of the post-show post-mortums,

so, it really was quite memorable to turn on my phone the lext morning, entirely to see all the non-Oscar news and saw the headline on CNN "WRONG BEST PICTURE AWARDED, CHAOS ENSUES." Wish I had taken a screenshot of it.

probably won't watch next year, but i sure as hell have been paying attention to the aftermath of this one.

** although factors did include:

one too many ridiculous winners

one too many ludicrous omissions

i fell out with modern movies

the political nature and advertising of it all is SO UGLY.

the 10 best pic nominees

moving it to February

the choice in hosts (cough coughMacFarlanecough)

the dominance of stylists to where the fashion is SO BORING now (oh, wow, a white strapless column dress. how DARING!)

and

the fact that it's no damn fun anymore.

• Like 1

I know how you feel as I can relate. I started losing interest about 15 years ago. I was the same way when younger. i'd record the nominations (now I just check online); go to Oscar parties; handicap; get mad when people got snubbed etc. I used to see most of the Oscar nominated films (although I wouldnt go to see something just because it was nominated. If the story doesnt interest me or I dislike the star, no amount of nominations is going to get me to see it) Last year I only saw one of the nominated films (Carol). This year I saw NONE! It's not so much I'm not interested, it's just the fact that most of the nominated films are released in the dead of winter and I hate going out in the cold (I know lame, but there it is) When I was younger I'd go out in blizzards and wouldnt care. Some years I'll watch depending how interested I am in the people nominated, I usually do record the show, but rarely do I watch the entire show, I'll just skip through it and watch the highlights. I'm just not that much interested in the concept anymore.  I DO get ticked when I miss films, it's my own fault.  I'd rather see a film in a theater than renting/buying the DVD.......

Also not a fan of expanding the best picture nominees. Pathetic.

• Like 1

I heard the sound clip this morning.  I noticed the male presenter paused for longer than he should have, then the female presenter hurried him up.  It sounded like, for a brief moment in time, he "almost" had a mind of his own, but not quite.  Certainly not enough to avert that disaster.  I would have said "hey - this envelope is for the wrong contest".

It is to my mind that he should have noticed the error when he was handed the envelope and should not have taken the wrong one onto the stage. 

Do people truly not look at what they are handed?

It is to my mind that he should have noticed the error when he was handed the envelope and should not have taken the wrong one onto the stage. 

That's probably just the tip if the iceberg.  If they were told to jump off a cliff, they'd ask "how far".

Apparently not too closely.........

Here's the proper way to handle an envelope mistake at an awards show. Aisha Tyler of "The Talk" was on the ball at a Daytime Emmys ceremony in 2013.

Really?

Lorna, I'm not proud of not having heard of her (Eileen Heckart.) There are without doubt many talented people who made their career in film who I'm not familiar with  (or should I say "with whom I am not familiar" ?) I wasn't saying I hadn't heard of her as some kind of put-down of her  (as in, "Hey, if I haven't heard of them, they can't be any good.")

Somebody Up There Likes Me I've definitely heard of, and almost meant to see,but for some reason I've missed it every time it's been aired on TCM  ( which is relatively often.)

Likewise I've never seen Hot Spell - although god knows you can't be a regular poster on this site and not have heard of it !

I have seen The Bad Seed, but it was quite  a while ago, and I'm afraid I don't remember that character; but I'll look for her next time I watch that film.

I thought her acceptance speech was tastefully brief ( just as unusual back then as it is now) and well-done.I'm sure she was a good actress, and will keep my eye out for screenings of the films you mentioned.

By the way, I'm embarrassed that I spelt Miss Winters' first name without the second "e" - of course, it's "ShellEy", not "Shelly". I should have known better.

Eileen Heckart made occasional appearances on "Mary Tyler Moore" as Mary Richards' Aunt Flo, a renowned journalist.

mary-tyler-moore-show-season-6-6-marys-a

i can't remeber if i've shared this link already or not, but it's a slate article that has many reaction pictures of the various stars in attendance.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/this-is-what-everyones-faces-looked-like-when-the?utm_term=.ipWo1ePj2#.kkxB0mY9g

Lorna, I couldn't stop laughing ! I love it that Ryan Gosling was smiling - it didn't seem to faze him a bit !

To be fair, it's possible that some of the people who looked horrified might have been shocked at the idea that such a mistake was made, not that Moonlight won over La La Land.

I don't  know if this was the case with Meryl Streep, but her face upon hearing the news is absolutely priceless !

Lorna, I'm not proud of not having heard of her (Eileen Heckart.) There are without doubt many talented people who made their career in film who I'm not familiar with  (or should I say "with whom I am not familiar" ?) I wasn't saying I hadn't heard of her as some kind of put-down of her  (as in, "Hey, if I haven't heard of them, they can't be any good.")

Somebody Up There Likes Me I've definitely heard of, and almost meant to see,but for some reason I've missed it every time it's been aired on TCM  ( which is relatively often.)

Likewise I've never seen Hot Spell - although god knows you can't be a regular poster on this site and not have heard of it !

I have seen The Bad Seed, but it was quite  a while ago, and I'm afraid I don't remember that character; but I'll look for her next time I watch that film.

I thought her acceptance speech was tastefully brief ( just as unusual back then as it is now) and well-done.I'm sure she was a good actress, and will keep my eye out for screenings of the films you mentioned.

By the way, I'm embarrassed that I spelt Miss Winters' first name without the second "e" - of course, it's "ShellEy", not "Shelly". I should have known better.

She played the mother of the murdered boy in The Bad Seed and was drunk during her 2 visits to see Nancy Kelly. She did a lot of stage work. More so than movies.

• Like 1

Lorna, I'm not proud of not having heard of her (Eileen Heckart.) There are without doubt many talented people who made their career in film who I'm not familiar with (or should I say "with whom I am not familiar" ?) I wasn't saying I hadn't heard of her as some kind of put-down of her (as in, "Hey, if I haven't heard of them, they can't be any good.")

Somebody Up There Likes Me I've definitely heard of, and almost meant to see,but for some reason I've missed it every time it's been aired on TCM ( which is relatively often.)

I have seen The Bad Seed, but it was quite a while ago, and I'm afraid I don't remember that character; but I'll look for her next time I watch that film.

1. "somebody up there likes me". is a gorgeous, very well acted film. Paul Newman also spends about 35% of it without a shirt on: do you need anymore information than that to move it closer to the top of your need to see list?

2. HOT SPELL

3. I Think we have some hard-core BAD SEED. Fans here, so I always have to be careful what I say about it. I'll just put it mildly and state that it is not a personal favorite of mine, however HECKART is miles and away the best thing in the movie. I would most definitely cite her performance as one of the absolute best examples of somebody who grab 15 minutes or less of screen time and wrung it for every **** drop it was worth.

4. It has been ages since I last saw BUTTERFLIES AREFREE, but I remember thinking it was really good, although very stagey...Coincidentally, the male lead who is not Paul Newman also spends quite a bit of screen time without a shirt on and again- while not Paul Newman, is no slouch either.

5. Sallright about ShellAY. I have a sneaking suspicion she was something of a beast in real life I would probably do her good to have her name spelled on occasion. Plus have you read my original post? If sprocket man was still with us he would've totally stroked out by now.

Lorna, I'm not proud of not having heard of her (Eileen Heckart.) There are without doubt many talented people who made their career in film who I'm not familiar with (or should I say "with whom I am not familiar" ?) I wasn't saying I hadn't heard of her as some kind of put-down of her (as in, "Hey, if I haven't heard of them, they can't be any good.")

Somebody Up There Likes Me I've definitely heard of, and almost meant to see,but for some reason I've missed it every time it's been aired on TCM ( which is relatively often.)

I have seen The Bad Seed, but it was quite a while ago, and I'm afraid I don't remember that character; but I'll look for her next time I watch that film.

1. "somebody up there likes me". is a gorgeous, very well acted film. Paul Newman also spends about 35% of it without a shirt on: do you need anymore information than that to move it closer to the top of your need to see list?

2. HOT SPELL

3. I Think we have some hard-core BAD SEED fans here, so I always have to be careful what I say about it. I'll just put it mildly and state that it is not a personal favorite of mine, however HECKART is miles and away the best thing in the movie. I would most definitely cite her performance as one of the absolute best examples of somebody who grabbed 15 minutes or less of screen time and wrung it for every god damn drop it was worth.

4. It has been ages since I last saw BUTTERFLIES AREFREE, but I remember thinking it was rgood, although very stagey...Coincidentally, the male lead who is not Paul Newman also spends quite a bit of screen time without a shirt on and -again- while not Paul Newman, is no slouch either.

5. Sallright about ShellAY WintUHS... I have a sneaking suspicion she was something of a beast in real life- it would probably do her good to have her name spelled wrong on occasion. Plus have you read my original post? If sprocket man was still with us he would've totally stroked out by now.

I posted this with my phone in case the grammar is bad or nothing in the above post makes sense.