Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

TOXIC OSCAR SHOCK FLOP! MOONLIT BEATS TRALALA LAND!

316 posts in this topic

I frequently watch "The Bad Seed" DVD which has commentary by Patty McCormack.  She notes in particular how unusual it was that much of the Broadway cast transferred to the film; not only Patty, Nancy Kelly and Eileen Heckart, but smaller roles like Henry Jones (the handyman Leroy), Evelyn Varden (Monica) and even Joan Croydon who played the teacher Miss Fern......

Usually, it is thought that most in a Broadway cast don't have enough name recognition to filmgoers. Here they certainly didn't, so why didn't the film producers care?

Usually, it is thought that most in ta Broadway cast don't have enough name recognition to filmgoers. Here (in THE BAD SEED) they certainly didn't, so why didn't the film producers care?

there is a chance they could not find a NAME actress who would agree (OR BE ALLOWED BY THEIR REPRESENTATION) to do THE BAD SEED.

i mean, it was some NUTTY source material, it's something of a miracle it got made in 1956.

edit: although it would be EPIC to've seen GINGER ROGERS or CLAUDETTE COLBERT or JOAN FONTAINE in the Nancy Kelly part.

Usually, it is thought that most in a Broadway cast don't have enough name recognition to filmgoers. Here they certainly didn't, so why didn't the film producers care?

The subject material was controversial. It didnt need stars.

• Like 1

there is a chance they could not find a NAME actress who would agree (OR BE ALLOWED BY THEIR REPRESENTATION) to do THE BAD SEED.

i mean, it was some NUTTY source material, it's something of a miracle it got made in 1956.

edit: although it would be EPIC to've seen GINGER ROGERS or CLAUDETTE COLBERT or JOAN FONTAINE in the Nancy Kelly part.

LOL.

i went to imdb and checked, and NANCY KELLY HAS to be one of a very select few people to never do a follow-up feature film after getting an Oscar nomination in a leading category.**

all she did after it was tv.

**discounting, of course, James Dean and Jeanne Eagels.

She never did a film after that? Wild. I know she appeared on stage......I think I saw her on the Alfred Hitchcock Hour on tv.

She never did a film after that? Wild. I know she appeared on stage......I think I saw her on the Alfred Hitchcock Hour on tv.

nope. not a one.

respectable amount of TV work though.

(of course, in her defense, maybe Kelly went to the 1956/7 awards show and was all "**** these people" after five minutes and gladly went back to the stage.)

i went to imdb and checked, and NANCY KELLY HAS to be one of a very select few people to never do a follow-up feature film after getting an Oscar nomination in a leading category.**

all she did after it was tv.

**discounting, of course, James Dean and Jeanne Eagels.

.....and that's why no name actress would take the role.

(of course, in her defense, maybe Kelly went to the 1956/7 awards show and was all "**** these people" after five minutes and gladly went back to the stage.)

LOL. Maybe her overacting in Seed sealed her fate as far as pictures went......

LOL. Maybe her overacting in Seed sealed her fate as far as pictures went......

oh good!

i didn't want to bring it up, cause i know you're a fan, but OH MAN SHE'S BAD IN THAT MOVIE!

HER bEST aCTRESS nod is one of THE BIGGEST HEAD SCRATCHERS in nomination history to me.

There's plenty of overacting in films.

yeah, but Nancy Kelly in THE BAD SEED is really a master class in it.

if not for her, we might have never had Pacino.

yeah, but Nancy Kelly in THE BAD SEED is really a master class in it.

if not for her, we might have never had Pacino.

LOL. She's in a class by herself. But in her defense her director didnt rein her in, so he shares the blame........

• Like 1

oh good!

i didn't want to bring it up, cause i know you're a fan, but OH MAN SHE'S BAD IN THAT MOVIE!

HER bEST aCTRESS nod is one of THE BIGGEST HEAD SCRATCHERS in nomination history to me.

On the other hand, you cant really look away. She DOES hold your attention! :D

• Like 1

oh, to take it back to THE INFAMOUS INCIDENT IN QUESTION, do any of the rest of you "take a fancy" to the bald, bearded LALALALAND producer who snatched the envelope and informed the audience what happened?

and by "take a fancy" i mean "find him sexy"?

a pic for reference:

oscars_640x480_41488254618.jpg

No discussion of missing footage that I remember..Patty gives the commentary along with Charles Busch.

Hmmn. Wonder if it was filmed or not? Guess Patty would know.........

oh, to take it back to THE INFAMOUS INCIDENT IN QUESTION, do any of the rest of you "take a fancy" to the bald, bearded LALALALAND producer who snatched the envelope and informed the audience what happened?

and by "take a fancy" i mean "find him sexy"?

I'll have to take another look. Dont really care for the shaved head look.....

Oh, DUH. The picture didnt come through at first. He's ok.

I'll have to take another look. Dont really care for the shaved head look.....

i posted a pic below.

i think he's bald.

whatevs. he pulls it off.

(judge if you want to, BUT I TOTALLY WOULD!)

While the overall role of the mother is over the top I would have liked to see how a  sound in-control actress handled the material.  

i posted a pic below.

i think he's bald.

whatevs. he pulls it off.

Yeah, I see it now. He's ok.