notoriusrio

Any former IMDB users here?

40 posts in this topic

Lol the problem with the IMDB boards was way too much trolling. Literally every movie had a band of trolls ready to pounce. This place seems much more civilized.

I really like the community here, but I do miss having the boards for individual movies. I also signed up for moviechat.org which looks like a pretty close replacement for the IMDB boards, but I'm still deciding if I'll be an active poster there. It's a new site so hard to tell if it will stick around. I can only juggle so many sites at once (this, Reddit, a few other IMDB-like sites that popped up...). Has TCM ever thought of adding an individual board for each classic film? I think that could be a good idea.

If you'd like to discuss a particular movie, perhaps you might want to start a thread on the Films and Filmmakers board or on one of the genre boards.  I think your idea sounds nice in theory, but a board for each classic film (which would start lots of debating when movies might be left out, or which films should be classified as "classic") might be unwieldy. 

why in the world don't anyone mention tmdb (themoviedb.org), its clearly the closest thing to imdb but they really need to improve their message boards. it has specific boards for movies, tv-series... just like imdb, tmdb has been around for years, but they just re started the board function when imdb shut down, so it hasn't gathered many posts yet. see you there then.

ADRIAN! ADRIAN!  :o

I don't know about that. There was quite the battle between the Bette Davis fans & Joan Crawford fans, not to mention there was a few who insisted that Jimmy Stewart was a virulent racist. Not a regular thing, but the Davis/Crawford boards were full of jerks. Then there were those that insisted that John Wayne was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't mind him but I don't put him on a pedestal either.

I was a longtime frequent user of the IMDB boards and you are so right about the Davis/Crawford boards.  They were horrible.  Sadly almost nothing of any value on those two boards.  Just felt like constant bickering.  

Although there were a lot of trolls on the boards for new movies ( in particular horror and sci fi ) they were all over IMDB.    The board for The Walking Dead was an absolute cesspool.  It's sad but many people get their kicks from posting awful things and trying to rile people up.  Wow did I have a lot of people on ignore other there :)  But having said that I did have several boards that I did enjoy.   And not coincidentally they were about old/classic films and stars. 

i liked the boards at IMDb since i usually (maybe the word should be invariably) got an answer to a question (sometimes years later) that i had. i never ran into trolls, but then i usually only looked at older stuff.

as time went on, i used to boards less often but would post something every six months or so. don't forget, only the boards have been wiped out. reviews, synopsis and the like can still be entered. so, all is not lost!

TCM has been my main source for all things related to older fliks. people here knowledgeable.

Yup, did it without nicking a single one. Highlight of my day.

One of these days, I'll have to give the folks here a detailed description of my adventures with loading up the dishwasher.  :lol:

• Like 2

Just consider this board as "high school"- you have your bullies, your intellectuals, your "populars", jokesters and self indulgent misfits....along with just average people who enjoy classic film without trying to impress. (show-offs) Oh yeah, and the moderators who are afraid of words like u r i n e.

No money is to be made here, but brand loyalty - which is important to financial health. And the site is "lightly" constructed, I like that. 

So far, I haven't run into any "high school" types of problems on this forum, nor on another forum which I joined a couple of weeks ago. So far, I've only bumped into very nice people on both forums, which makes me happy. Of course, I'm a newcomer to both forums. I've written less than 50 posts on each, and I'm being very careful about what I say.

It also helps that I haven't joined any political discussions. (Not that I'm into politics to begin with...)

I was also surprised to find someone on this forum (a few days ago) who has actually heard of some of my favorite singers! Maybe I need to find a forum dedicated to Canadian artists and I'll bump into more such people...

TCM has been my main source for all things related to older fliks. people here knowledgeable.

Just a caution: Long time members are not only knowledgeable, they frown upon sloppy grammar and misspelling. Idiotic "text speak" is highly maligned by regulars and many threads will be completely ignored solely by a misspelled text-like title.

• Like 2

One of these days, I'll have to give the folks here a detailed description of my adventures with loading up the dishwasher.  :lol:

Stop teasing us, kjrwe! We want all those details NOW!

I was a longtime frequent user of the IMDB boards and you are so right about the Davis/Crawford boards. They were horrible. Sadly almost nothing of any value on those two boards. Just felt like constant bickering.

LIES LIES LIES!!!!!!!!!! hOW DARE YOU BRING YOUR damned drrrty LIES HERE!!!!!!!cLEARLY SOME ONE IS A BETTE SUPPORTER. U probably Also lIKE "bUNNY O-hare"

Do NOT BRINg uR eVil here!!!

#ChristinaLied

#HOLLYWOODroyalty

#JOAN4evr!!!!!!!!

#j/k

I don't know about that. There was quite the battle between the Bette Davis fans & Joan Crawford fans, not to mention there was a few who insisted that Jimmy Stewart was a virulent racist. Not a regular thing, but the Davis/Crawford boards were full of jerks. Then there were those that insisted that John Wayne was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't mind him but I don't put him on a pedestal either.

The Bette Davis fans battled with the Joan Crawford fans regarding which star was superior? I think both groups of fans needed to get a life.

• Like 1

The Bette Davis fans battled with the Joan Crawford fans regarding which star was superior? I think both groups of fans needed to get a life.

Why single out Davis and Crawford fans.   The John Wayne fans are the most obnoxious.    :lol:

Why single out Davis and Crawford fans.   The John Wayne fans are the most obnoxious.    :lol:

Now hold up there, pilgrim.

I seem to recall a few Cagney fans that were full of themselves. One picker in particular.... B)

Stop teasing us, kjrwe! We want all those details NOW!

Well, I don't know if those dishwasher details are that interesting.

On the other hand, I've had some amazing experiences with vacuuming my kitchen floor. Now THERE'S a potential plot for a film!

Now hold up there, pilgrim.

I seem to recall a few Cagney fans that were full of themselves. One picker in particular.... B)

Nothing wrong with anyone who's a fan of Cagney.

Though I also have to say that anyone who calls himself a Walter Huston fan seems to be incredibly reasonable and fair minded.