Sign in to follow this  
BLACHEFAN

May 2017 TCM Spotlight Creature Features

27 posts in this topic

Every Thursday in May, starting at 8:00 pm, TCM is proud to spotlight 25 outstanding creature flicks featuring some of the iconic and lesser known monster icons in the history of cinema.

Thursday May 4th

8:00 PM - Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

9:30 PM - Revenge of the Creature (1955)

11:15 PM - King Kong (1933)

1:15 AM - Mothra (1961)

3:15 AM - The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

5:00 AM - Reptilicus (1961)

6:30 AM - The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)

Thursday May 11th

8:00 PM - Rodan (1958)

9:30 PM - The Black Scorpion (1957)

11:15 PM - The Deadly Mantis (1957) (TCM Premire) 

1:00 AM - The Monster that Challenged the World (1957)

2:45 AM - Empire Of The Ants (1977)

4:30 AM - The Giant Claw (1957)

Thursday May 18th

8:00 PM - Them! (1954)

9:45 PM - Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)

11:30 PM - It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955)

1:00 AM - The Giant Behemoth (1959)

2:30 AM - The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues (1955)

4:00 AM - The Magnetic Monster (1953)

Thursday May 25th

8:00 PM - Tarantula (1955)

9:30 PM - Return of the Fly (1959)

11:15 PM - The Cosmic Monster (1958)

12:45 AM - The Wasp Woman (1960)

2:00 AM - Swamp Thing (1982)

4:00 AM - The Killer Shrews (1959)

• Like 4

As a Floridian, having the Gill Man as part of the Creature Features is a real honor. Since every other part of the globe has their own movie monster, we have one that lives in the lake of Silver Springs in the Ocala county. And we have our very own Universal Studios theme park in Orlando. So, it fits perfectly with the spotlight for May.

• Like 1

As a Floridian, having the Gill Man as part of the Creature Features is a real honor. Since every other part of the globe has their own movie monster, we have one that lives in the lake of Silver Springs in the Ocala county. And we have our very own Universal Studios theme park in Orlando. So, it fits perfectly with the spotlight for May.

When I visited Silver Springs a number of times in nearby Ocala (Marion County) years ago, I pestered the tour guide with questions about Creature from the Black Lagoon.

• Like 1

They should bring in the guys from Rifftrax to host the TCM spotlight Creature Features. Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett. They are excellent movie buffs and actors as well. I think of them as huge celebrities.

• Like 1

They should have the next TCM spotlight entitled The Best of the Worst. Films that are so bad, you just can't help but love them, no matter how flawed they may be.

Have any of you guys been to the theme park called Marineland in Florida? That's where they shot the sequences in Creature from the Black Lagoon and Revenge of the Creature. The park is still functional, but it's now a facility where you would have encounters with dolphins and play fun activities in the park.

Have any of you guys been to the theme park called Marineland in Florida? That's where they shot the sequences in Creature from the Black Lagoon and Revenge of the Creature. The park is still functional, but it's now a facility where you would have encounters with dolphins and play fun activities in the park.

I'm confused;   Wasn't Marineland a salt water park?   I know the one in So Cal was.

I ask because before you said "lives in the lake of Silver Springs in the Ocala county".     Lakes are freshwater and the original film's setting wasn't the ocean but inland water based locations (i.e. a fresh water lake),  right?

(Revenge, which I haven't seen in years has so ocean scenes if I recall correctly).

The Marineland sequences are where they shot the gill man being held as a tourist attraction in Revenge of the Creature. It also was the same place where Richard Carlson's character was working at in Creature from the Black Lagoon. That is not where the Gill man lives.

I have not seen the film Rodan (1958), but I got an update from my favorite horror host that he is screening the movie on his show on April 8. It will be my first time watching this monster movie. I have been watching Svengoolie on MeTv. He is funny, informative, and one of the smartest people in the world.

Rodan (1958) is the story of a group of miners in Japan that end up discovering a Pteranodon that has woken up thanks to the atomic bomb tests from the United States. The film is inspired by incidents from the 1948 accident involving a man chasing a ufo only to get killed while in flight. Another inspiration for Rodan is the film Them! (1954) which will also be shown on this spotlight. It is a superb film and features some of the same cast and crew from Godzilla (1954) including director Ishiro Honda. For this film, I award it 4 out of 4 stars.  

• Like 1

I was looking up a great monster flick that could have made it more interesting. The Alligator People (1959) starring Lon Chaney Jr. The story is hokey and the tone and style of it is pretty camp. But it is something to think about since it is a late-night creature feature with something to look forward to. If it was added to the list.

• Like 1

I was also thinking of something that TCM has never done before. They should have done a spotlight focusing on grind house films from the 1930s up until the 1970s. They range from different genres from moral story propaganda films to educational pictures to film noir, to nudie cuties, to teensploitaion, to beach party flicks, to biker films, to roughies, to gore fest, to prison films, to blaxploitation, to nazi exploitation.

Tune in next week on Thursday for the first night of the TCM Spotlight starting with a danish monster movie entitled Reptilicus (1961).

• Like 1

I meant to say Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). The last monster movie from Universal's hall of movie monsters.

I was also thinking of something that TCM has never done before. They should have done a spotlight focusing on grind house films from the 1930s up until the 1970s. They range from different genres from moral story propaganda films to educational pictures to film noir, to nudie cuties, to teensploitaion, to beach party flicks, to biker films, to roughies, to gore fest, to prison films, to blaxploitation, to nazi exploitation.

Grind House films:   I had to Google this to find out about it.      I agree that focusing on this would make for some interesting programming,  especially if TCM showed 2 - 3 films from each decade as well as the different genres you mentioned.

TCM's Spotlight on Creature Features, which begins on May 4 at 8:00PM EST, will be hosted by broadcaster and political satirist Dennis Miller. A long-time veteran of Saturday Night Live​, where he famously anchored the Weekend Update segment from 1985 to 1990, Miller subsequently hosted his own long-running talk show, first on HBO and then on CNBC. In recent years, Miller has continued to tour as a stand-up comedian and has been a familiar face on the now-defunct Fox News program The O'Reilly Factor​, where he offered usually acerbic, frequently humorous brand of conservative political commentary.

Miller previously appeared on TCM in 2009 as a guest programmer alongside the late Robert Osborne. During that appearance, Miller confessed that "I draw solace, really--in a world I sometimes think has gone mad--from Turner Classic Movies."

Miller explains in an interview promoting TCM's festival of classic B-horror movies, why he is a natural fit to host the series:

"I have a collection of about 300 VHS tapes of these old science fiction films from my later youth. I was always fascinated by them, not because they're David Lean films, but because they're 'lean' films. I guess TCM didn't have anyone else stepping forward and saying ,"Yeah, I'll take the giant tarantula movies.' So it seemed kind of provident that I volunteered for that duty."

1140-weekend-preview-dennis-miller-tmc.i

​Dennis Miller, in studio for TCM last week, will host the channel's festival of B-horror movies each Thursday night in May.

Half of the films that TCM will be screening for May, were also screened on another program where I got to learn information on Monster movies, Svengoolie. He screened some of the movies on his program form the 1990s to the 2000s decade. He currently screens Universal movies and is now showcasing monster flicks from Toho studios. Speaking of which, this week on Svengoolie, the film Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster (1964) will premiere on Svengoolie on Saturday at 10:00 Eastern/9:00 Central on MeTv. I get the information about the movies cast and skits related to the movie on his show and its hysterical.

• Like 1

sounds like their UNDERGROUND programming

:D

I was looking up a great monster flick that could have made it more interesting. The Alligator People (1959) starring Lon Chaney Jr. The story is hokey and the tone and style of it is pretty camp. But it is something to think about since it is a late-night creature feature with something to look forward to. If it was added to the list.

THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE is on regularly on FMC.

What were the films that you saw on Thursday night for the debut of Creature Features? List the films below and you may each give your opinion of the film that you have seen on Thursday night on May 4.

Get ready for this Thursday, as TCM unveils more mayhem and destruction with the premiere of Rodan (1958), The Deadly Mantis (1957) from Universal Studios, The Black Scorpion (1957) from Warner Brothers, The Monster That Challenged the World (1957), The Giant Claw (1957) and Irwin Allen's Empire of the Ants (1977). All this and more starting Thursday May 11 at 8:00 p.m.

Last night on MeTv, Svengoolie presented the tv movie from 1972, Gargoyles. Starring Cornel Wilde, Jennifer Salt, Grayson Hall, Scott Glenn and Bernie Casey. The movie was interesting, but the plot has a few continuity errors that could have been fixed. It's the movie that won an emmy award for the late Stan Winston.