kjrwe

The Woman in the Window: the ending (spoilers!!!)

29 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, kjrwe said:

The film Laura has a lovely soundtrack. The film Sabrina has an even lovelier soundtrack. I'll check out the Nat King Cole version of Laura one of these days.

When I listen to Nat's version of the song I always imagine that it is playing while Andrews is asleep in the chair under Laura's portrait.    I.e. the lyrics and how Nat sings them would have been perfect during that scene (not that the soundtrack is great as well).

On 5/11/2018 at 2:43 AM, kjrwe said:

To those who really dislike the ending: skip it each time you watch the film. That's my personal suggestion.

I absolutely dislike the ending of The Pink Panther, even though it's one of my favorite films. I just skip the last 15 minutes of it each time I watch this lovely film.

No. Even if i don't like a movie's ending, it IS a part of the movie. You have to take the good with the bad. Getting back to the ending. I think the director purposely gave that ending in protest to the code establishment. He could've easily just had Robinson's character get caught.  Thats the way the film was headed before it made that abrupt change at the end.  Now, if the director had laid some clues DURING the film that it was a dream, it would've been a great ending.

12 minutes ago, Moorman said:

No. Even if i don't like a movie's ending, it IS a part of the movie. You have to take the good with the bad. Getting back to the ending. I think the director purposely gave that ending in protest to the code establishment. He could've easily just had Robinson's character get caught.  Thats the way the film was headed before it made that abrupt change at the end.  Now, if the director had laid some clues DURING the film that it was a dream, it would've been a great ending.

Robinson wasn't known as a romantic actor; i.e. one where the studio wouldn't wish to tarnish his image with the viewing public.   I point this out because that is often the reason a character doesn't 'take a fall' (E.g. Grant in Suspicion?).    Often the suits will try to insist that a character is redeemed because fans of the actor don't wish to see them in too negative of a light;  classic examples of this are Bogie in Treasure of the Sierra Madre (but Huston wouldn't budge),  and Nightmare Alley (providing hope for Power that wasn't realistic).

But again, Robinson didn't fit that mode,  so why not just have his character get caught.  

24 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Robinson wasn't known as a romantic actor; i.e. one where the studio wouldn't wish to tarnish his image with the viewing public.   I point this out because that is often the reason a character doesn't 'take a fall' (E.g. Grant in Suspicion?).    Often the suits will try to insist that a character is redeemed because fans of the actor don't wish to see them in too negative of a light;  classic examples of this are Bogie in Treasure of the Sierra Madre (but Huston wouldn't budge),  and Nightmare Alley (providing hope for Power that wasn't realistic).

But again, Robinson didn't fit that mode,  so why not just have his character get caught.  

He went out bad in " The Red House", so yes, i see your point. On a side not, behind Bogie, he is my favorite actor of the classic period.