CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

394 posts in this topic

Rather strange before Robert Osborne's death, Wikipedia provided his wife's name.  After his death, Wikipedia removed this info and replaced her name with his male partner's name and now this info has also been deleted. (Sarah Osborne was her name)

When did she cease being his wife?

That is rather strange...

But thanks very much for the FYI, I enjoy a good mystery.

You're very welcome. Robert Osborne enjoyed a good mystery too, even about his personal life.

• Like 1

You are both in luck. Cluny Brown is on the schedule at Noon Eastern Time on Sunday, April 23.

Thanks for that info! Hope I remember.

Did she even exist??

I don't think she ever was his wife. To my knowledge, Robert Osborne was never married.

First a tribute to Robert by a young person on youtube:

And for all of you aching for a mystery brought on by the mystery of Sarah Osborne, something to ponder from the same youtube author:

Why does so much weird stuff go on in Utah anyways?

I don't think she ever was his wife. To my knowledge, Robert Osborne was never married.

She was unseen. Sort of like Edward my Son, Larry Mondello's father or Lt. Columbo's wife.

• Like 1

She was unseen. Sort of like Edward my Son, Larry Mondello's father or Lt. Columbo's wife.

Mrs. Columbo later emerged as the star of her own TV mystery series.

mrs-columbo-1.jpg

• Like 1

Robert Osborne was a lover of cinema.  I loved his lucid and insightful introductions to TCM films.  And his "Bob's Picks" would showcase lesser known pictures.  He'll be missed.

Robert Osborne was a lover of cinema.  I loved his lucid and insightful introductions to TCM films.  And his "Bob's Picks" would showcase lesser known pictures.  He'll be missed.

I'm glad I recorded one of his "Bob's Picks" in 2008 to DVD. He picked 1929's "The Squall" which is a simply dreadful early talking picture and one of the reasons Myrna Loy left Warner Brothers as soon as she could and never looked back. Bob's introduction was absolutely hilarious and he admitted it was a guilty pleasure. I could definitely see that "irreverent" side of him that his family spoke of in his obituary.

• Like 2

I'm glad I recorded one of his "Bob's Picks" in 2008 to DVD. He picked 1929's "The Squall" which is a simply dreadful early talking picture and one of the reasons Myrna Loy left Warner Brothers as soon as she could and never looked back. Bob's introduction was absolutely hilarious and he admitted it was a guilty pleasure. I could definitely see that "irreverent" side of him that his family spoke of in his obituary.

Yes. A truly awful early talkie. (LOL). Myrna plays a naughty gypsy!

She should have remained unseen.

LOL. I dont even remember that show........

She should have remained unseen.

Yes, but, after that, she ended up as a Star Trek Captain.  Way cooler than being Mrs. Columbo.

She was also Billy Crystal's ex-wife in Throw Momma From the Train.

Mrs. Columbo later emerged as the star of her own TV mystery series.

mrs-columbo-1.jpg

I can now stop reading this thread.

• Like 2

HONESTLY, I KINDA THINK TAKING A LONG AMBLE DOWN ESOTERIC CHARACTER ACTOR LANE IS A GREAT WAY TO PAY TRIBUTE to Osborne.

I think he'd like it.

**NOTE, I AM NOT MAD, I keep leaving my CAPS LOCK button on and I type fast, but often without looking at the screen, and Im getting lazy in my old age and i hate to go back and redo it.

oh, and here's a link to a very good NY Times article/interview with Robert about his apartment(s)- he apparently owned three in a building called "The Osborne"

delish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/realestate/21habi.html

the first paragraph:

A Home Destined by the Stars

JOANNE KAUFMAN

MAY 21, 2006

ROBERT OSBORNE, the genial host of Turner Classic Movies, lives at the Osborne;

in fact, he has three apartments there. It is a situation that appears to have been fated by the stars — and not the celestial sort.

"I was interested that there was a building called the Osborne spelled the same way I spell my name," said Mr. Osborne, who is in his mid-60's ("My age and my phone number are both unlisted," is his standard line) and who first became aware of the Osborne, a Renaissance Revival building on 57th Street just off Seventh Avenue while reading Rosalind's Russell's autobiography, "Life is a Banquet."

Russell, he recounts, went to Leonard Bernstein's office at the Osborne to sing for the composer before being cast in his 1953 musical "Wonderful Town."

It makes perfect sense that Mr. Osborne would make hay of real estate information from a movie star's memoir; his whole life has been shaped by people whose names tended to appear above the title.

(for the whole article w/ pics click the link)

• Like 2

oh, and here's a link to a very good NY Times article/interview with Robert about his apartment(s)- he apparently owned three in a building called "The Osborne"

delish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/realestate/21habi.html

the first paragraph:

A Home Destined by the Stars

JOANNE KAUFMAN

MAY 21, 2006

ROBERT OSBORNE, the genial host of Turner Classic Movies, lives at the Osborne;

in fact, he has three apartments there. It is a situation that appears to have been fated by the stars — and not the celestial sort.

"I was interested that there was a building called the Osborne spelled the same way I spell my name," said Mr. Osborne, who is in his mid-60's ("My age and my phone number are both unlisted," is his standard line) and who first became aware of the Osborne, a Renaissance Revival building on 57th Street just off Seventh Avenue while reading Rosalind's Russell's autobiography, "Life is a Banquet."

Russell, he recounts, went to Leonard Bernstein's office at the Osborne to sing for the composer before being cast in his 1953 musical "Wonderful Town."

It makes perfect sense that Mr. Osborne would make hay of real estate information from a movie star's memoir; his whole life has been shaped by people whose names tended to appear above the title.

(for the whole article w/ pics click the link)

Coincidentally, I used to live at DownGoesFrazier Gardens.

• Like 4

i've looked everywhere and

i've desperately hoped to find,

the scene from THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946) where ELSA LANCHESTER sings The Bonny Banks of Loch Loman to Tyrone Power after the death of Clifton Webb (am I remembering it right- that is the context, yah?)

annyhoo, while i am not a huge fan of the movie, I respect the Hell out of Osborne's avowed love of it; because there is something truly admirable in the love and affection one will bestow upon things (songs, movies, people) for reasons one cannot always explain. (for me, it's FLAMINGO ROAD and JAWS 3-D; I know others of you have your own issues to work out.)

anyhow...

it is a LOVELY SCENE- my favorite part of the film by a mile-and-a-half, just an exquisite moment and is the end of one of the film's strongest storylines, and on the chance any of you want to go looking for RAZOR'S EDGE, in full online, um it might just be there.

anyhoo, here's the lyrics to the song, BUT I WISH LIKE ANYTHING I COULD JUST POST THE SCENE.)

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Me and my true love were ever wont to gae
On the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond

Ye'll tak' the high road and I'll tak the low road
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye
But me and my true love will never meet again
On the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond

'Twas there that we parted in yon shady glen
On the steep, steep side of Ben Lomond
Where in the purple hue the hieland hills we view
And the moon coming out in the gloaming

The wee birdies sing and the wild flowers spring
And in sunshine the waters are sleeping
But the broken heart it kens nae second spring again
And the waefu' may cease frae their greetin'

ps- yes I am anywhere that today is St. Patrick's day and this is a Scottish song.

• Like 1