CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

359 posts in this topic

This idea has been brought up on several threads since Bob's passing and probably has previously been brought up on this long thread (I'm too lazy too look!). I'm not opposed to the idea personally - Bob made a lot of interesting picks in the past - but I don't think it's going to happen. As cold as it may sound, TCM has to look forward. Also, no matter how they framed it - whether Ben introduced Bob, who then introduced the movies or whatever - it would lead to confusion. I swear, someone would come on here and ask is Bob still alive? TCM would have to put some kind of disclaimers on the screen, I think, so that people would now this is not new or previously unseen material. 

I think we will continue to see Bob's presence on the network mainly in the form of re-airings of his various Private Screenings and TCM Film Festival interviews, when they're relevant to a night's or a month's theme.

Yes, it would be confusing to some viewers and upset others. I think a yearly edition of Bob's picks would work and be appropriate. (with Ben doing the hosting).

Man, man, o, man, he certainly was a popular guy, huh :)  :D

One of the few debits I can think of in regard to our late & beloved TCM Host-(I fear, how our network is changing & not for the better either) Mr. 0sborne may have been the beginning of the end of Turner Classic Movies??? :(

But, Lucille Ball-(l9ll-l989) is well known to really give him a boost & somewhat discover Robert. 1 thing she was way off on-(& I KNOW MANY WILL BE UPSET ABOUT THIS)

But, I've seen all of his performances & more then once too & unfortunately Robert was no *Spencer Tracy or Cary Grant, at least in that dept

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

(P.S. This is somewhat important as well.  Does anyone know or know of MR. GEORGE BURDELL?> He owned a companion pc website to this one (classicmovieguide.com) & we used to correspond a bit-(2006/07 or so was last I heard of the guy?)

He even wrote a story on his visit to the station in GA-(Atlanta) described Robert & how they had to break for such & such while filming  George didn't get to go on the air, he was just a lucky visitor one day :(  :(  :(

I miss Robert Osborne very much. I've been a viewer of TCM since it started and Robert Osborne was its face from the beginning. What most hurts is to see his replacement, this guy called "menkenstein" or "menkevitch" or something!  Really!  Have you heard him speak? He QUACKS like a DUCK and always has to chop the air in front of him with his hands like a knife!  He should be a butcher, not a film presenter!  If we can't have Robert Osborne again, please let this butcher go!  Please!

I miss Robert Osborne very much. I've been a viewer of TCM since it started and Robert Osborne was its face from the beginning. What most hurts is to see his replacement, this guy called "menkenstein" or "menkevitch" or something!  Really!  Have you heard him speak? He QUACKS like a DUCK and always has to chop the air in front of him with his hands like a knife!  He should be a butcher, not a film presenter!  If we can't have Robert Osborne again, please let this butcher go!  Please!

TCM's primetime host, Ben Mankiewicz, has been appearing on the channel as a regular host since 2003, proving himself to be a knowledgeable and respectful guide through classic movies.

If you actually knew anything about classic films and the people who made them, then you would know that Ben is the grandson of CITIZEN KANE screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz and the great-nephew of ALL ABOUT EVE director Joseph Mankiewicz. 

I have meet Ben and he is a very nice man.    As "Barton" points out Ben is very knowledgeable about studio-era films.   Osborne and Ben were very close and Robert had a lot of respect for Ben.

Show some class.  Please!