CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

385 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2017 at 1:00 PM, Barton_Keyes said:

TCM's primetime host, Ben Mankiewicz, has been appearing on the channel as a regular host since 2003, proving himself to be a knowledgeable and respectful guide through classic movies.

If you actually knew anything about classic films and the people who made them, then you would know that Ben is the grandson of CITIZEN KANE screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz and the great-nephew of ALL ABOUT EVE director Joseph Mankiewicz. 

Also, Ben Mankiewicz's father was campaign press secretary to Robert F. Kennedy during his run at the Presidency. There were many luminaries who visited the Mankiewicz home. Ben most definitely has the pedigree + the intelligence to qualify him to host TCM (as opposed to someone like DB).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mankiewicz_family

Ben Mankiewicz' father:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Mankiewicz

On 8/11/2017 at 9:50 PM, Sam Mac said:

I miss Robert Osborne very much. I've been a viewer of TCM since it started and Robert Osborne was its face from the beginning. What most hurts is to see his replacement, this guy called "menkenstein" or "menkevitch" or something!  Really!  Have you heard him speak? He QUACKS like a DUCK and always has to chop the air in front of him with his hands like a knife!  He should be a butcher, not a film presenter!  If we can't have Robert Osborne again, please let this butcher go!  Please!

In addition to Ben Mankiewicz's grandfather being co-writer on "Citizen Kane," his father was campaign press secretary to Robert F. Kennedy during his run at the Presidency. There were many luminaries who visited the Mankiewicz home. Ben most definitely has the pedigree + the intelligence to qualify him to host TCM (as opposed to someone like DB).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mankiewicz_family

Ben Mankiewicz' father:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Mankiewicz

On 3/6/2017 at 1:40 PM, Garth said:

This is a heavy load to bear even after bracing myself for this day once he was away on medical leave for the last several months. This is like losing a best friend. RIP Robert Osborne. I included a photo I just took of the Robert Osborne Bobble head I bought years ago. 

post-8540-0-37632800-1488829208_thumb.jpg

post-8540-0-37632800-1488829208_thumb.jpg

During the tribute remembering his birthday (was it "Private Screenings" with Alec Baldwin?), he said he'd wished that his bobble head doll looked more like him. Still, I'd have loved to have one!

On 3/6/2017 at 3:12 PM, im4cinema2 said:

Before TCM I became enamored with classic movies watching a program in the NY area called Million Dollar Movie and it showed a classic film, the same one, for a whole week. So I got to see King Kong and The Boy With Green Hair several times  Then of course there was the Early Show  before news programs dominated late afternoons and the Late Show and the Late Late Show before the Carsons and Lettermens dominated. Then I came across this handsome affable fellow named Robert Osborne.  A man of my own heart who also loved old movies as I did and all commercial free.  I loved Robert Osborne and TCM all these 23 years. May he rest in peace.  Oleho hasholem.  He will be missed.

Million Dollar Movie in the NYC area introduced me to "Forbidden Planet," which I watched as many times as I could possibly catch it.

On 3/15/2017 at 12:09 PM, jakeem said:

Mrs. Columbo later emerged as the star of her own TV mystery series.

mrs-columbo-1.jpg

This was NOT in the original "Columbo" series with Peter Falk.

On 5/3/2018 at 5:51 PM, sagebrush said:

Happy Birthday remembrance to Robert Osborne , born on May 3rd!

3483538_original.jpg

Am just catching up on the TCM message boards. My birthday is April 14th, and until 1994, only bad things commemorated it (Lincoln being shot; Titanic hitting iceberg; day before income tax deadline). Finally, I can now say that my birthday also coincides with something positive: TCM, introduced by Robert Osborne, debuting on the air! 😃

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, TopBilled said:

I think he also loved THE BAND WAGON (1953). That's a film he seemed to champion, because he felt it was unfairly in the shadows of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

As usual Top, you seem to know about tcm  BIG-0TIME

I wrote of this a few times of R. 0rbe's top ten favorite movies, but hardly anyone replied?

He had an onstage "Pvt. Screenings" w/Stanley Donen & even before Stanley could sit done, Osbo immediately told him that 7 of his top ten are as follows: (NOTE: to a separate list of  the superb & final "Pvt. Screenings" on him, hosted by Alec Baldwin though-(DID YOU SEE IT YET?)   MR. OSBORNE';S WOULD JOIN-IN>>>

"A Place in the Sun" (195l) (when Baldwin about the definitive drama pic.)

"Adventures of Robin Hood" (l938) (when asked about Adventure)

"The Razor's Edge" (l946) (Fox) (Remade flatly by Bill Murray in 1984)  He adored Andy Hardy & "Boom Town" too

& then both he & Baldwin & again without pause what are movie idols & favs

Well, this was a big surspringly but Osbo & Alec Baldwyn were slapping five on *WILLIAM HOLDEN as his hero) Others that tend to agree with the two *Costner, Bill Murray     & TRUST ME FELLOW TFC-ITES  Now how about the link to this actor

"

On 5/13/2018 at 4:42 PM, chameleon said:

Million Dollar Movie in the NYC area introduced me to "Forbidden Planet," which I watched as many times as I could possibly catch it.

that's the first place I saw it too.

:D

• Like 1

I too would like to chime in regarding Robert Osborne. I did not read the hundreds of other posts, so mine could be a duplicate. Robert was like Johnny Carson, simply the best at what he did. I would be shocked if TCM ever found a more perfect match.

• Like 2