CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

359 posts in this topic

The last film Robert Osborne introduced by himself was UNDER THE VOLCANO on February 21, 2016.

(For the record - He did introduce THE FRENCH CONNECTION but with guest programmer Candice Bergen on June 14, 2016.)

"They're not shining the stars as bright
They've stolen the joy from the night
Wish you were here
Wish you were here
Wish you were here"
Yancey

Thank you!

So very sad to hear the news, but so very happy he spent his life doing what he loved. For those who haven't seen it, a look back at a very young actor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xQ0xNRMSg&t=29s

It's a tough blow.  I was expecting this news, given his absence, but the blow is  no less deflating. I feel as though a member of the family or a good friend has died.  The spirit of Robert Osborne lives on in the institution that he helped create.  

It's a tough blow.  I was expecting this news, given his absence, but the blow is  no less deflating. I feel as though a member of the family or a good friend has died.  The spirit of Robert Osborne lives on in the institution that he helped create.  

As a tribute, it might be appropriate for TCM to show some of Osborne's favorite films, including THE RAZOR'S EDGE and LAURA. I'm sure that management knows what they were.

I'm so sad about this. TCM will go on but to me Robert Osborne and TCM were interchangeable. He was TCM. It was obvious he wasn't the same Robert the past few years he was on air, but it was still comforting to know he was there to carry on. How he will be missed.

When human decency seems to be now viewed as some kind of weakness these days, Robert always came across as true example of decency and class. And how badly we need that.

Godspeed, Robert. You were truly one of a kind.

As a tribute, it might be appropriate for TCM to show some of Osborne's favorite films, including THE RAZOR'S EDGE and LAURA. I'm sure that management knows what they were.

I think he also loved THE BAND WAGON (1953). That's a film he seemed to champion, because he felt it was unfairly in the shadows of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

I think he also loved THE BAND WAGON (1953). That's a film he seemed to champion, because he felt it was unfairly in the shadows of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

Right.

This is heartbreaking. He conveyed so much warmth and friendliness, so that you always felt as if he was speaking to you directly about any given movie. He was a very comforting presence on screen. Even though he hadn't been on in over a year, there was still a glimmer of hope he'd be back. I'll miss him very much. This is truly the end of an era for TCM. There will never be another Robert Osborne. To a very classy man who taught us all so much, thank you and rest peacefully, Sir.

Whenever he introduced "The Best Years of Our Lives" he never failed to mention that many people(including Bette Davis) thought it was the best movie ever made. I got the feeling he may have thought so, too.

Whenever he introduced "The Best Years of Our Lives" he never failed to mention that many people(including Bette Davis) thought it was the best movie ever made. I got the feeling he may have thought so, too.

Those who know of other favorites of his should definitely post them.

So sad to read of Mr Osborne's passing.  He is the reason I started watching TCM years ago.  He made me aware of films that I otherwise might not have seen.  He was a true professional and I will miss him terribly.

I haven't seen enough of Ben Mankewicz to say that it's the End of an Era, but Osborne was one of the Last Great Movie Hosts, back when every station had one.

The local host wasn't supposed to be a Film Expert--usually just the station voiceover--but if he could show enthusiasm in telling you that some 40's movie was smarter, more film-historic and more entertaining than it looked, it changed your viewpoint from "Silly late-night movies" to being able to tell them apart.

TCM's, of course, needed an expert, and Osborne was there for us.

Wonder if they're going to have to change his in-attraction appearance at Disney World, now?

Very sad moment for both TCM and its viewing audience.

A class act and a great interviewer and a true film historian who will be missed.

Goodbye, Sweet Prince [as was said when John Barrymore passed]...

This is a very sad, sad day for TCM Nation.  I am sitting in my office and read about the news of Robert Osborne's passing on the internet.  I felt my heart stop.  It suddenly became cold in my office.  I knew and loved classic films before I knew of Turner Classic Movies.  Robert Osborne taught me to respect and appreciate the history of film.  This is what I will remember him for.  Appreciating great classic films and the  people who made the films great.  Rest In Peace Robert.  We know heaven is a better place with you there.    

When I was a child it was my mother who introduced me to the classic film era. I learned to appreciate the master that was known as Hitchcock, the beauty and vulnerability of Monroe and the infinite cool of Mitchum. As an adult, Robert Osborne became my mentor in all things classic. Thanks to his role at TCM, I became a fan of silent film, the pre-code era and became much more knowledgeable about the studio system, the directors, producers, and cinematographers of that era. Thank you Robert Osborne for making sure that the golden lights of an era long gone are never forgotten. May the years to come prove that you are never forgotten as well.

Before TCM I became enamored with classic movies watching a program in the NY area called Million Dollar Movie and it showed a classic film, the same one, for a whole week. So I got to see King Kong and The Boy With Green Hair several times  Then of course there was the Early Show  before news programs dominated late afternoons and the Late Show and the Late Late Show before the Carsons and Lettermens dominated. Then I came across this handsome affable fellow named Robert Osborne.  A man of my own heart who also loved old movies as I did and all commercial free.  I loved Robert Osborne and TCM all these 23 years. May he rest in peace.  Oleho hasholem.  He will be missed.

So sad to hear this but not surprised.  The "silence was deafening" as there has been no word from TCM in quite a while about when or if he would return.

I recently watched several films that I recorded when William Powell was a SOTM a few years back.  It made me smile to see and hear Robert Osborne's intros and outros.  I always loved his warmth and his fascinating insights.

His greatest legacy will be as the face and the heart of TCM.

Lydecker

When I signed on just a few minutes ago, the "thumbnail" slide show of top news stories AOL has on it's welcome page had that news on there.  I came here and obviously didn't see this thread already announcing the news.  So just ignore mine.

And RIP Bob.  You did good, amd we'll miss you on movie nights.

Sepiatone