CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

359 posts in this topic

-genuinely saddened to hear.

He certainly helped ingrain my love for ALL types and eras of movies, and better still, appeared to be a really sincere and caring person.  - MR6

B.M. posted on FB:

"A word from Ben Mankiewicz on the passing of Robert Osborne

1017159_377108825787764_8014985900795988Ben Mankiewicz

1 hr ·

There really aren't words to express the enormity of how Robert's loss is felt inside TCM. His contributions made TCM stand for something more than a TV channel. Robert's face, his voice, his charm and his curiosity forged a profound link to movie lovers, a visceral sense of connection to our history, to our parents and grandparents.

All of us at TCM are better for having known him - I know I am. His legacy is reflected in the shared love and appreciation we all have for the movies he cared about so deeply."

robert_osborne.jpg

What ? !   I had no idea. I just saw this thread a minute ago. I was not aware of this news. If I had, I wouldn't have blathered away in another thread when something like this has happened.

I'm not really surprised, I think we all knew Mr. Osborne had been ill for some time. Still, I did not know how ill.

I'm genuinely saddened by this news. Robert Osborne was in many ways the face, the brand, of Turner Classic Movies. Even though he had not been very active on the station for quite a while, I will still miss him. It won't be the same without him.

This is really a punch to the gut.  I guess most of us assumed he hadn't been well for some time, but his death is so sad, nonetheless.

Osborne really carried TCM on his back for many years.  He was the face and personality of the place we all call home, in one way or another.  Robert had the nearly precise mix of pleasant, self-effacing on-camera charm along with his vast off-camera, institutional knowledge of the industry.  He will be sorely missed.

When human decency seems to be now viewed as some kind of weakness these days, Robert always came across as true example of decency and class. And how badly we need that.

Exactly.

He was clearly a private man.....and you could tell a thoroughly decent man. His love of film was infectious. He made me want watch more classics.

I have recorded hundreds if not thousands of films off of TCM, and when I put one on, I am always sorry to see he isn't doing an intro to a film.

So weird , my Dad mentioned him just last night, and I looked Robert up and saw nothing new. I still was hoping he would return.....

TCM survives of course, but it just won't see the same without him....

Perhaps TCM, as a tribute, could run an hour of just his intros...I'd watch an hour a week of them....

Rest in Peace Mr. Osborne, thanks for making Classic movies so accessible to everyone. 

Osborne was embraced by "devoted fans" as a trusted expert and a calming presence, with a gentlemanly style, encyclopedic knowledge of film history and highly personal interviewing style. He also was a fervent support for film preservation, her statement said.

"(It) all combined to make him a truly world-class host," she wrote. "Robert's contributions were fundamental in shaping TCM into what it is today."

-Jennifer Dorian

Marlee Matlin @MarleeMatlin

Dear #RobertOsborne host of @tcm has passed. Pure class and one of the first people in Hollywood who supported my breaking barriers. RIP.

Mitzi Gaynor @TheMitziGaynor

#RobertOsborne- a good & true gent, unique and irreplaceable. I will love & cherish u always. My thoughts are w/his family,friends & @tcm

Pat Sajak @patsajak

So saddened by the death of Robert Osborne of @tcm. He helped spark my interest in classic films. He was a special man.

You were the best, Mr. Osborne and you will be missed here dearly.  I remember Robert Osborne doing the movie introductions on a cable channel called THE MOVIE CHANNEL about 4 or 5 years before TCM went on the air.  When you get a chance say hello to Jimmy Cagney for me. :)

Very sad news. I knew it was coming, but I tried not to think about it. I've learned to do without him for awhile now but to know he's really gone is just awful. TCM lost some of its class today........

TCM will undoubtedly be working on the best way to pay tribute to Robert. One way, of course, would be to air a series of his Private Screenings. But another would be to have a collection of Robert's favourite films.

I believe that Gene Tierney may have been his favourite actress, and The Razor's Edge had a special place in his heart. He also once referred to The Adventures of Robin Hood as the best adventure film ever made.

I'm sure they will repeat his anniversary show tribute. Hoping his Private Screenings will be repeated too at some point.

I had the pleasure to meet Robert a few times, twice at a private party, the other times at receptions. Lovely man. Once he was with his friend, Angela Lansbury. TCM should consider asking her to host a tribute.

RIP RO

Wasn't he and Olivia de Haviland close? Maybe I am wrong and just misread that somewhere. If so, certainly she wasn't expecting to outlive him.

Wasn't he and Olivia de Haviland close? Maybe I am wrong and just misread that somewhere. If so, certainly she wasn't expecting to outlive him.

I think they talked to each other every week on the phone.

A true gentleman has left us.  I am a fan of 30's and 40's movies and I always wanted them introduced by Mr. Osborne when I tuned into TCM.  His gentle manner and display of class just brought something to the TCM program like no other.  I'm sorry to see him go, condolences to his family and friends. An enormous loss to us fans of TCM.

Oh, this is very sad news.  Robert Osborne was such a wonderful TCM host - truly the epitome of class.  His vast knowledge of films never ceased to amaze me.  Rest in peace, Robert.

Those who know of other favorites of his should definitely post them.

DownGoesFrazier and TomJH, I agree that TCM should show some of Robert's favorite films.  I found an article that Robert wrote where he discussed several of his favorites.  Click on the link below.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/12/robert-osborne-s-secret-favorite-movies.html

Edit - Here's a list of the films that Robert mentioned in the article:

The Big Clock, Dodsworth, Hobson's Choice, Indiscreet, The Mating Season, My Name is Julia Ross, The Narrow Margin, Remember the Night (1940), Roughly Speaking, The Tall Target, and Vacation From Marriage.

He IS TCM.  I know we haven't seen him for a while, and I can't say this news surprises me, but I just don't want it to be true.  Rest in Peace, terrific host.  Terrific man.

Just wanted to voice my sadness at the passing of Robert Osborne. A true gentleman and a fine film historian.

For better than 20 years Robert Osborne introduced the greatest film classics of Hollywood's Golden Era. Along with his interviews of some of the great actors in movie history. A truly great TV personality. All I can say is, thank you.

RIP Robert Osborne. 

I'm so very sad to hear this news. I really feel as though I've lost a friend. He was a great fan of films, had an inside connection to classic Hollywood, and yet managed to tell his stories without tarnishing the stars (you know he had to have known some juicy stories.) He was a gentleman and a fine storyteller and historian. RIP, Robert- I hope you can catch up with some of your departed pals now.

I'm so incredibly heartbroken to hear of Robert's passing. My dad and I are avid fans of TCM since its inception back in the mid 90s. It was just before my high school graduation in '94 that I began watching TCM (after AMC went mainstream with commercials) not only for its classic film content, but also for the classic aesthetic. Classic films is how I learned to dress, apply make-up and create my updo's; it has also been my inspiration for home decor as I dress up my 100 year old house in antiques.

It was Robert Osborne that has given me the knowledge and passion I have for classic film today; especially Silent Films, Pre-Code, Film Noir and Alfred Hitchcock films. I've always enjoyed his prologue and epilogue for each film. I will truly miss his wisdom. He truly was a gentleman (and a very handsome one at that). Rest in Peace Robert Osborne. <3

"And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others."

The Wizard of Oz's advice to the Tin Man

I can honestly say that TCM has been responsible for my taking a keen interest not only in movies generally but in how the industry developed and the factors that made it what it is today.  Had it not been for TCM I likely would have remained ignorant of the rich history of Hollywood and how the moguls of the early years built an empire that has influenced and entertained countless millions around the globe. 

Robert Osborne was a big part of that education.  His manner and in-depth knowledge combined with an entertaining style made the movies and the film industry come alive.  I had the honor to attend all but one of the festivals (I went on the cruse that year !) and I cannot say enough about this beloved TCM host.  

Heaven will have a special place for Robert, and the constellation of cinema icons that have gone before.  God bless and God speed, Robert.  You gave us all a heck of a ride !!!

Cinecrazy DC    

Outside of his monthly columns in Now Playing, the last thing Robert did for TCM was to narrate the 100th birthday tribute to Olivia de Havilland, which aired periodically last July.

I sensed his death was imminent for some weeks, because it has been some time since TCM aired the on-air ad for Now Playing magazine, which was recorded in 2013 and was the last signal that TCM was holding out hope that Osborne might eventually come back on air.

It is truly amazing what a workhorse Osborne was; more recent TCM devotees might be unaware that he was the only permanent primetime host on TCM for the channel's first seventeen years. Think of it: Every single night -- including weekends -- from April 1994 until his much publicized leave of absence in 2011, Robert Osborne was on the air hosting TCM. I doubt there is any other broadcaster in the world who can beat that record. Now that the hosting duties are being divided up between 3 or 4 people each month, it is especially incredible to think Robert used to do it all by himself.

It is a nice reflection of the integral role that TCM, and by extension Robert Osborne, occupies in North American culture that for much of this afternoon "Robert Osborne" has been one of the top ten trending topics on Twitter worldwide. That is a testament to Osborne's personality as much as it is to the films he introduced to viewers.

No more conversations between Robert and Alec Baldwin. I'll miss that - and I'm sure Alec is very sad today.

And I'm sure his old friend Olivia de Havilland is feeling very sad today.

As others have said, it's expected but still surprising nonetheless. Is it possible for TCM to replay some of Robert Osborne intros for some movies from time to time? R.I.P. Mr. Osborne.

This is such sad news.  I'm not surprised because he seemingly disappeared from TCM without a word.  It is sad that his official departure from the channel came without any fanfare or celebration.  I figured something had to be "up" when TCM was so mum on his condition and anticipated return date.  Perhaps RO requested privacy, if so, his wishes should have been respected and they were. 

I loved his introductions.  His voice was so calming and dignified.  He was a true movie aficionado and I'll miss his anecdotes and intensive knowledge of classic Hollywood.

Typically when my favorite performers pass on, I have a movie (or television) tribute to them.  With RO however, since he wasn't a movie or television actor (yes, I know he was in some productions), it's different.  I think the best way to honor him would be to watch a marathon of my favorite films and performers.  RO was all about celebrating and loving film.  What better way to celebrate his legacy than to watch a medley of tried and true favorites?