CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

359 posts in this topic

I knew he was ill, but still I am shocked by his passing. My heart is breaking. I have watched him on TCM since day one. He brought more than his knowledge and his insight to TCM, he brought class. Real class that will never be seen again.

Just as the Golden Age of films will never happen again, so the personification of that era and of TCM will never be heard again.

TCM's voice has been silenced.

Rest in peace, Mr. Osborne. You have been and will be tremendously missed.

• Like 2

I've drifted away from these message boards for most of the last 4 or 5 years, but with the sad news of Robert Osborne's passing, I just want to express my condolences.  I've continued watching movies on TCM, but I have missed RO's appearances over the past couple years.  His intros always made movie watching more interesting and entertaining by adding some background info.  He was good at what he did and I will really miss that.  RIP Mr. Osborne.

• Like 2

"TCM's Ben Mankiewicz Remembers Robert Osborne: "The Signature Face of a Network Unlike Any Other".......

Robert was a big TV star, the signature face of a network unlike any other on television, a channel that actually forged an emotional bond with its audience. For a host in Robert’s position, developing an outsized sense of self worth, a big head, a TV ego, is not only a possibility, it’s practically par for the course. But ask any of those people for a story of Robert losing his composure, or dressing down a member of the crew, or behaving like a prima donna, and you’ll be met with silence. Robert was as you saw him — distinguished, funny, unfairly charming and smart as hell........

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tcms-ben-mankiewicz-remembers-robert-osborne-signature-face-a-network-any-983682?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

• Like 7

I just cried when I saw the TCM tribute today. He brought such knowledge about classic movies. He knew major stars of movies and television that I grew up watching, and the wonderful back stories behind these shows. Many people I saw on television had wonderful screen careers that I knew nothing about until I discovered TCM in 1998. He is with Debbie Reynolds now, his dear friend who advised him to wait until TCM got started. Thanks for so many memories, Robert.

• Like 1

Very sad to hear of the passing of Robert Osborne. I am glad to have been able to 'spend' many years with him enjoying classic films. 

• Like 1

How fitting that the first prime time movie shown after Robert's passing was from 20th Century Fox, his favorite studio.

Yancey

• Like 1

I don't often post on message boards, but I had to share my sadness at Robert's passing and express my gratitude for all that he gave to our TCM family. Simply put, I doubt there would still be a TCM had it not been for Robert... and it surely won't be the same without him. 

• Like 2

It was truly a shock for me to come home from a long day at work, to read of Robert Osborne's passing. He was truly a classy, sophisticated, and intelligent man. He was such an incredible host and film historian, bringing to the table an extensive knowledge of classic films, along with a quickness and cleverness that I believe is almost unparalleled in TV personalities today. Rest in peace, Robert; TCM will never be the same without you.

• Like 3

What a sad thing to hear today, I knew this announcement was coming but it still hit me hard and will take a long time to get over if ever. What a perfect person Robert was to be leading Turner Classic Movies, sort of like Errol Flynn being cast as Robin Hood or Sean Connery as James Bond they just fit perfectly, it was so obvious he was a movie fan above all else, not a egomaniac or a phony but a real person something so rare in the entertainment business, plus his endless knowledge of the movies and the world of Hollywood. My wife and I met Robert at the 2011 Turner Classic Film Festival we were able to get in a picture with him ( at his suggestion) during the breakfast that he would attend at the Roosevelt Hotel it was a black and white photo that turned up on the festival website that year. Then I got to speak with him during the Vanity Fair party, we talked for at least 20min without interruption he was so gracious and patient he wasn't  in a hurry at all, it was like talking to an old friend. I met a few celebrities at that event but I will always remember the very special opportunity I had to meet and talk with Robert Osborn...

Rest in Pease Robert

• Like 2

Before TCM I became enamored with classic movies watching a program in the NY area called Million Dollar Movie and it showed a classic film, the same one, for a whole week. So I got to see King Kong and The Boy With Green Hair several times  Then of course there was the Early Show  before news programs dominated late afternoons and the Late Show and the Late Late Show before the Carsons and Lettermens dominated. Then I came across this handsome affable fellow named Robert Osborne.  A man of my own heart who also loved old movies as I did and all commercial free.  I loved Robert Osborne and TCM all these 23 years. May he rest in peace.  Oleho hasholem.  He will be missed.

I also remember The Late Show and the Million Dollar Movie in California. For me it was Godzilla, King of the Monsters that they showed twice a day for a week. Until TCM came along, this was the only way to see Classic movies.

• Like 1

And I'm sure his old friend Olivia de Havilland is feeling very sad today.

As soon as I saw the black background instead of the usual set, upon tuning in for tonight's airing of My Cousin Rachel, I knew that the long expected changing of the guard had come to pass. I appreciated Ben M's comment about the best way to pay tribute, being to show a classic movie & as chance would have it, one that that featured the aforementioned old friend that Bob often spoke of.

RIP & in my mind, a life spent doing something he obviously loved doing - can't ask for much more than that, can you?

• Like 3

It was hard to read of Robert's passing. He was the face of TCM and it's soul. A man who loved movies and the people who made them. To me it was like having a friend come into my living room and discuss the films and their stars.I know he had been ill for quite a while and the last time I saw him was at the death of Debbie Reynolds in an TV sound bite at her passing. he didn't look well.But still when the news comes it's a shock. R.I.P. I think he'll have a lot of friends greeting him when he arrives....

• Like 3

How fitting that the first prime time movie shown after Robert's passing was from 20th Century Fox, his favorite studio.

Yancey

. . . And starring Olivia de Havilland, a dear friend in Paris who, I suspect, is deeply mourning him now.

• Like 1

His commentary was the impetus that led to my interest in classic movies.

Rest in peace Mr. Osborne.

• Like 1

Unfortunately like everyone else, I was not surprised this was coming in the near future. This wonderful man was a workhorse that did all those intros and outros on his own. When he unofficially retired, I figured his health was the main reason. His privacy is respected by me and I will never forget him for the rest of my life. I was a child when I saw him on TCM introducing iconic films like Gone With The Wind and he is what got me interested in the film preservation career that I'm now pursuing. I think this is a huge hit in the film history community because within the last few months, we've lost some heavy hitters like Debbie Reynolds, David Sheppard, and now Robert Osborne. I believe his last public appearance was when he talked about the passing of his friend Debbie Reynolds on that 20/20 special.

Now it becomes crucial that we honor these people by progressing forward and continuing their hard work in the film preservation community. 

Thanks Robert Osborne, for inspiring a young film preservationist like myself, I won't let you down. 

• Like 5

RO, my man. TCM's man. actually, everyone's man. truly, a man for all seasons.

as far as movies, RO had a lukewarm reaction to Alec Baldwin's pick of Marlon Brando's Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) on The Essentials. it's classic TV. it also showed RO's grace and discretion.

• Like 2

TCM couldn't have found a better person to lead this network from its infancy. Remember, many thought it would never work, a channel showing old movies from a bygone era. 

He exemplified the class and dignity classic cinema deserves. And he was such an encyclopedia of knowledge and was a fan too. And would let you know about the films he didn't care for. It all made him seem more real to me. He will be missed.

• Like 4

What a sad surprise.  The world is so much richer for his work, and so much poorer for his loss.  As with most of the posters here, I'm certain, TCM is about the only thing I watch on TV.  It's reacquainted me with movies I remember seeing growing up, and introduced me to hundreds of new fun, devastating, magical, and stunning movies.  TCM is Robert Osborne's great monument.  Let it go on as long as there are movies. 

• Like 3

:( So very sad to hear of Mr. Osborne's passing. I have missed him greatly. He was so warm and welcoming. Such a gracious host.

• Like 1

I have been watching TCM since it launched in 1994. Losing Robert is so sad he is like a family member. May he rest in peace. He will be greatly missed.

• Like 1

condolences to Robert Osborne's family, friends and the TCM community. He has been missed and will be for a long time.

• Like 1