CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

394 posts in this topic

Mr. Osborne could never imagine how many hearts he touched over the decades…those of us who routinely invited Robert into our homes were pleasantly blessed with his passionate insights, trivia, commentaries, interviews, guests, which dusted off, polished and transformed the viewing of a long forgotten classic into an experience that had us sharing a feeling of a renewed passion for cinematic art when it was truly at it’s finest. :D

Robert’s film introductions made us feel as if he was simply welcoming us to share a very special, cozy moment together, which made us want to do it over and over again. ;)

Robert was truly special…I’ll always cherish our thousands of viewings together over the decades (thank you!). :)

Robert put class into the classic movie experience as my parting tears and broken heart remind me just how special he was, how much we loved him and how much he'll be missed by all of us. :wub::wub: 

Always wanted to go on a cruise with Robert...he rocked my boat.

• Like 3

"TCM's Ben Mankiewicz Remembers Robert Osborne: "The Signature Face of a Network Unlike Any Other".......

Robert was a big TV star, the signature face of a network unlike any other on television, a channel that actually forged an emotional bond with its audience. For a host in Robert’s position, developing an outsized sense of self worth, a big head, a TV ego, is not only a possibility, it’s practically par for the course. But ask any of those people for a story of Robert losing his composure, or dressing down a member of the crew, or behaving like a prima donna, and you’ll be met with silence. Robert was as you saw him — distinguished, funny, unfairly charming and smart as hell........

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tcms-ben-mankiewicz-remembers-robert-osborne-signature-face-a-network-any-983682?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

This tribute from Ben to Robert is truly beautiful.

• Like 6

He said more than once that "The Band Wagon" (1953) was one of his favorite movies -- and he frequently expressed disappointment that Clifton Webb turned down the role played by Jack Buchanan.

Here's a PBS television interview he did several years ago in New York City on the topic of movies and the theater.

• Like 5

He said more than once that "The Band Wagon" (1953) was one of his favorite movies -- and he frequently expressed his disappointment that Clifton Webb turned down the role played by Jack Buchanan.

Yes, I mentioned his admiration for THE BAND WAGON earlier in the thread. In film school all my professors loved SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (and so do I). But when I heard Robert extol the virtues of THE BAND WAGON instead, it taught me not to like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN any less but to see there are other classics just as qualified to claim the title of 'best musical from the golden age of Hollywood.'

So the key here is to realize we can push films forward that deserve a second (or even third) look. And of course, bring them greater appreciation. This is actually what Robert Osborne's picks were accomplishing each month on TCM.

• Like 6

I hope no one minds, but we have edited the title, and pinned this thread.

Your comments, all of them, are lovely, and touching.

Thank you, from your TCM Moderators

• Like 10

So sad about Bob! :*( Got nothin' brilliant to say, just that I loved that guy and I'll miss him. I'm sure he's on the other side right now having a fantastic reunion party with all his Hollywood buddies, finally meeting Carole Lombard and all the others he didn't get to meet.

• Like 1

So sad,he was a classy host,what i liked  about his intros, he never repeated the same anecdotes or gossip on the movie when it was shown again,always fresh,he was a superb professional.Well Bob,you are in good company wherever you are.

• Like 1

I met Robert Osborne once at a TCM event and he was very sweet and kind.  I am heartbroken over his passing. I loved him so much, as did all of the others who were fortunate to meet him, and watch him on TCM all these years.  The world is less bright without him in it.  But tonight there is a new star in the heavens, outshining all the others, and it is him.  Rest in peace.  There will never be another like you...

• Like 2

Of all the intros that Robert Osborne did as the host of Turner Classic Movies, this one from October 15, 2015 is the one I remember most. 

Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" was one of "Bob's Picks," but Osborne revealed that he walked out on the movie at a December 1971 preview showing. He recalled being disturbed by an early scene of violence in the film. But he admitted that he changed his mind about the picture upon seeing it in its entirety years later. 

"When I finally did see this film, I was mesmerized by it," Osborne said, "and, to me, that's one of the great things about movies. The movie doesn't change, but we do."

• Like 10

" ... that's one of the great things about movies. The movie doesn't change, but we do."

That's really an amazing quote.

• Like 5

I can't count the number of times I would tune in to a movie I had already seen and had no intention of watching again just to hear Robert's introduction of it. I can't say that I did that with any of the other hosts (no offense intended to them; I do like Ben).

And when he offered it, I took note and respected Robert's opinion. The Adventures of Robin Hood has always been one of my most cherished movie going experiences. The day I heard Robert say he regarded it as the best adventure film ever made I puffed up my chest and thought, "See, Robert loves it too."

• Like 1

I hope no one minds, but we have edited the title, and pinned this thread.

Your comments, all of them, are lovely, and touching.

Thank you, from your TCM Moderators

(internet hug)

• Like 1

i REALLY wish I could find video footage of Robert Osborne's small guest spot on the NETFLIX original series THE UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT...Those of you with the service, it's season one, i don't recall which episode.

he was still a really good actor.

• Like 2

I just saw TCM's loving tribute to Robert Osborne. It was an understated, classy and elegant presentation, just like the man himself.

I bawled like a baby.

• Like 3

Condolences to Robert's partner David Staller. If you're reading the thread David, thanks for sharing him with us all these years!

screen-shot-2017-03-07-at-7-14-55-am.png

I assume, as part of the tribute, TCM will rerun some of his best interviews, best Essentials discussions, and even some of his intros and outros for his favorite films.

• Like 2

Condolences to Robert's partner David Staller. If you're reading the thread David, thanks for sharing him with us all these years!

screen-shot-2017-03-07-at-7-14-55-am.png

TMI

• Like 2

i REALLY wish I could find video footage of Robert Osborne's small guest spot on the NETFLIX original series THE UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT...Those of you with the service, it's season one, i don't recall which episode.

he was still a really good actor.

ETA:

It's Season 1, Episode 10, titled "Kimmy's in a Love Triangle."

(THANKS Jake)

• Like 2

TMI

I agree. Mr. Osborne kept his personal life very private. I don't think this is the time nor the place to expose what he never did. I find it disrespectful.

• Like 4

I agree. Mr. Osborne kept his personal life very private. I don't think this is the time nor the place to expose what he never did. I find it disrespectful.

Outing someone at death is a non-starter.

• Like 3

I agree. Robert Osborne was always the model of good taste. That is one of his qualities for which he will remembered by his fans. Hopefully the rest of the entries on this tribute thread will retain that same sense of class.

• Like 5

When I was about 9, my sisters and I would be left alone alot, especially at night.  We were scared, so learned to leave the t.v. on for company.  It was then I that learned about the "black and white old movies" that were better than anything else on t.v.  I couldn't learn enough about the actors and actresses, and when I was 14 found a huge coffee table book that listed every movie ever made, along with all the info for each participant in the movie and a synopsis.  I loved it.  Whenever someone needed info about a movie or actor, they were sent to me.  When I heard they were starting a network that showed the old movies without commercials, I was thrilled!  But then something better happened - the guy who was the host knew the little side stories that I craved, and he really knew his info, it wasn't read off a cue card, you could tell he really loved the movies like I did.  He knew the directors, knew about James Wong Howe, knew that Fred Astaire had a sister who he originally danced with.  Finally!  Someone I could relate to!  He was so personable and made you feel like he was talking directly to you.  When he hadn't been on the air for some time, I figured he was ill, I mean even though he seemed so young, he was in his 80's.  He spoke to Olivia DeHavilland every Sunday for the past 40 years, and I bet she is heartbroken and will miss those conversations very much.  I know I will miss him too, it's like I am losing a friend.  

• Like 3

This is a heavy load to bear even after bracing myself for this day once he was away on medical leave for the last several months. This is like losing a best friend. RIP Robert Osborne. I included a photo I just took of the Robert Osborne Bobble head I bought years ago. 

Where did you find that bobble head?   I would love to have one of those.  I have to search for one right now. 

• Like 2

With respect, DGF, it was no secret around NY. I've worked with David Staller -- nice man who specializes in producing/directing/acting in the plays of Shaw. To give Robert and David the respect that their relationship deserves at Robert's passing is appropriate. Robert was not in the closet.

There are plenty of straight television personalities who don't talk about their partners on the air. It doesn't mean that to mention them at the personalities' passing is to "out" them!

The media (including the Washington Post) has mentioned David in their fitting tributes to RO.

• Like 1

With respect, DGF, it was no secret around NY. I've worked with David Staller -- nice man who specializes in producing/directing/acting in the plays of Shaw. To give Robert and David the respect that their relationship deserves at Robert's passing is appropriate. Robert was not in the closet.

There are plenty of straight television personalities who don't talk about their partners on the air. It doesn't mean that to mention them at the personalities' passing is to "out" them!

The media (including the Washington Post) has mentioned David in their fitting tributes to RO.

The fact that most of those on these boards weren't sure about it means that he has effectively been outed. I'm sure that many of us haven't read any of the obituaries that mentioned it. ...If I am wrong, my bad.

• Like 4