CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

392 posts in this topic

The fact that most of those on these boards weren't sure about it means that he has effectively been outed.

With respect, DGF, there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in the philosophies of people on this board. It doesn't mean they are secret.

(I've recently seen an excellent production of Hamlet with Andrew Scott, hence my so spot-on paraphrase of Hamlet's comment to Horatio.)

• Like 1

Kept a small glimmer of hope that Robert Osborne would return one day.  So saddened by our loss.  He was so eloquent, a true class act, and a perfect gentleman.    He felt like a friend ... so many evenings over so many years I looked forward to setting down with RO and watching great movies.  I learned so much from his wealth of knowledge ... which made me enjoy the movies even more.    Thank you Bob.

• Like 2

With respect, DGF, it was no secret around NY. I've worked with David Staller -- nice man who specializes in producing/directing/acting in the plays of Shaw. To give Robert and David the respect that their relationship deserves at Robert's passing is appropriate. Robert was not in the closet.

There are plenty of straight television personalities who don't talk about their partners on the air. It doesn't mean that to mention them at the personalities' passing is to "out" them!

The media (including the Washington Post) has mentioned David in their fitting tributes to RO.

Thanks Swithin for an eloquent and nicely worded post.

There's a good article about Robert and David that was just published by the Advocate magazine. It does a good job covering the highlights of Robert's professional and personal life, which in my opinion is how it should be. We'd accord that to anyone of Robert's stature and it is proper:

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/2017/3/06/tcm-host-robert-osborne-dead-84-survived-same-sex-partner

• Like 2

Thanks Swithin for an eloquent and nicely worded post.

There's a good article about Robert and David that was just published by the Advocate magazine. It does a good job covering the highlights of Robert's professional and personal life, which in my opinion is how it should be. We'd accord that to anyone of Robert's stature and it is proper:

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/2017/3/06/tcm-host-robert-osborne-dead-84-survived-same-sex-partner

I wasn't aware that he ever outed himself, but apparently he recently did.

I wasn't aware that he ever outed himself, but apparently he recently did.

In any case, I think we should get back to the tributes.

• Like 3

Another memorable Osborne intro occurred at midnight Eastern time on January 1, 2000. Turner Classic Movies provided back-to-back presentations of Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" so that the picture would be on the air just after the clock struck midnight on the East Coast and the West Coast.

TCM did it again a year later, airing "2001" back to back on January 1, 2001.

• Like 2

In any case, I think we should get back to the tributes.

Yes. Please.

In the tribute on TCM, "TCM Remembers", someone said, "Robert Osborne was a gift". Indeed. He was a gift you unwrapped every time you turned on TCM. He became a friend from the very first time he said, "Hi, I'm Robert Osborne, your host.......".

He was a gentleman in every sense of the word, and it came through my TV screen right into my living room and into my life..those many years ago. For all of those years, I can think of only a few times TCM was not on my TV 24/7.

I can think of no one who consistently made me feel completely at home and comfortable. A hot drink, a snack, a blanket, and an evening with Robert Osborne's TCM made me slip into a world where everything was okay and right.

A gift he gave us all. What a blessing.

• Like 4

Another memorable Osborne intro occurred at midnight Eastern time on January 1, 2000. Turner Classic Movies provided back-to-back presentations of Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" so that the picture would be on the air just after the clock struck midnight on the East Coast and the West Coast.

Jake,

I liked your post earlier about Robert's reluctance to watch A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. It reminded me of another thread on the message boards where people talked about films they walked out on.

I've stated before the only film I ever walked out on and requested my money back was ANGELA'S ASHES in January 2000. I told the theater manager how after twenty minutes, I realized the film was about poverty and was not going to pay for poverty. I have to laugh about it now, but I was very serious that afternoon at the southern California multiplex. I ended up going to see a comedy instead to escape the bleakness of Frank McCourt's story and laugh a little.

But maybe like Robert did with Kubrick's picture, I need to give ANGELA'S ASHES another try. It's been over seventeen years. Maybe I've changed, or maybe I haven't. Either way there is a film still waiting for me to see it all the way through from start to finish.

• Like 4

My dad bought me 50 Golden Years of Oscar back in 1980.  I've read, re-read, and consulted it numerous times and still have it.  RIP to a classy gentleman who brought classic Hollywood cinema into the homes and hearts of millions.  That's a legacy to admire.

• Like 3

Re: David Staller. Bob had good taste! (but then we knew that).

• Like 4

My dad bought me 50 Golden Years of Oscar back in 1980.  I've read, re-read, and consulted it numerous times and still have it.  RIP to a classy gentleman who brought classic Hollywood cinema into the homes and hearts of millions.  That's a legacy to admire.

I bought his book 60 years of the Oscar in the late 80s. I bought it and wondered "Is that the interesting host on The Movie Channel?". I've bought every update since. It has all kinds of interesting trivia in it.

• Like 1

I can't count the number of times I would tune in to a movie I had already seen and had no intention of watching again just to hear Robert's introduction of it. I can't say that I did that with any of the other hosts (no offense intended to them; I do like Ben).

And when he offered it, I took note and respected Robert's opinion. The Adventures of Robin Hood has always been one of my most cherished movie going experiences. The day I heard Robert say he regarded it as the best adventure film ever made I puffed up my chest and thought, "See, Robert loves it too."

Robert made TCM my favorite channel. Like so many other fans I grew up watching the old classics on television in the 1950's and 60's, so when Turner launched TCM it became a comforting place in which to escape back to those fond times. As THE host Robert was (and in my mind still is) TCM. His set ups always include fascinating facts, back stories and tidbits that only he could provide.  And his delivery was always so natural, he made me feel as though I were in a discussion of my movie passions with a very dear friend. TCM has gone to great lengths in their attempts to fill the time slots with presenters in RO's absence, but none of them will ever be as good as he. For those of us who've been there from the beginning there will always be a tremendous vacancy that can never be filled. I, too, would often tune in just to hear what Robert had to say, only to be "talked into" watching a film that I had already seen several times! I think that he could talk me into watching the Test Pattern! I doubt that any other host will ever affect me in that way. I love you, Robert Osborne. Thank you for educating us, entertaining us and for being a warm and wonderful human being.

• Like 6

When I first heard of Robert Osborne's passing yesterday, I felt as if one of my closest friends had died. I've been a movie lover all my life and since I'm unable to see all the movies I'd like to in a movie theater, TCM has been and continues to be my movie theater. I remember being thrilled the first time I tuned in to TCM and there was Robert Osborne introducing the upcoming film.  I was so excited and from that moment on, TCM and Robert Osborne became a part of my daily routine.  Thank you, Robert, for being my friend.  You will be sorely missed.  May you rest in peace.

• Like 4

Well I can't deny that my movie fantasy was to appear on TCM with Robert Osborne to discuss Marion Davies and the several Davies film projects I've produced. Of course I'm not a celebrity and it never happened. Osborne was in the forefront of reviving Davies' reputation as a great comedienne and solid dramatic actress. He could see the star behind all the publicity and innuendo.

Enchantment aired on TCM in November 2014. I hope Bob saw the film. The Bride's Play airs this weekend. The show must go on ... even without Bob.

• Like 5

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that Robert Osborne never returned to the channel for a final goodbye party and formal tribute so he could really see how much all of his viewers an colleagues loved him. I'm sure he felt the love, but having him leave always with the faint promise of a return and then for him to die suddenly, it just all feels so incomplete.

• Like 4

Like a number of people who have posted here, I have very happy memories of seeing Robert Osborne at the early TCM festivals. He made time to pose for numerous pictures with fans and spent time chatting with people in Club TCM at night after the movies were over. He always seemed to be kind, friendly, and genuinely interested in other people.

• Like 1

I was filled with sorrow when I learned of Robert's passing yesterday. He was the epitome of the perfect gentleman. Robert was adept at drawing you in to stories about the classic actors, the films and lots of trivia that never failed to pique your interest.

His kind and classy yet informal way made us feel like he was a close friend of the family. We've missed him for some time now and we had a feeling that illness must be the reason he was away from TCM.  I dreaded the day when we would lose him but secretly hoped he would return. 

Robert Osborne set the benchmark for the perfect TCM host, with never a hint of politics -- which after all we often come to TCM to escape.  His love and passion of movies - especially the classics - and his tremendous knowledge was unparalleled.

Robert Osborne was himself a classic - a shining star - someone to be revered and an example of excellence.

Robert will be so missed by all of us TCM fans and is irreplaceable - gone, but never forgotten. Rest in peace, Robert.

• Like 1

First post here, so I hope it's okay for me to just thank everyone else before me for the lovely tributes for Mr. Osbourne, because they've expressed all the the emotions and accolades going through my head since I heard the sad news last night quite eloquently.  So thank you.

What drove me to post at this time, besides the passing of the 'Father of TCM,' of course, is also an idea that keeps tumbling around in my head, and thought I might offer it up as a suggestion for a way I'd, personally, like to see TCM honor Robert.  I'd really love to see a whole week, heck, why not a whole month of 'Robert's Wraparounds,' as a prime time theme?  Fill the prime time line-up with movies Robert did wraparounds for in the past, since there must be thousands of those archived.  Front it with a themed intro graphic that makes it clear they're retro (so nobody mistakenly thinks, 'Robert's back! Yay!' (as I'd SO wished for until last night!) so to speak, as a tribute to the divine TCM past.  Something of nostalgic comfort to us, to put Mr. Osbourne back where he'd been for so long in our TCM lives, remind us why we loved him so much, would be heaven to this Osbourne fan, at least.  I'd already missed him for so long, and now, he's never coming back, unless TCM helps me out, and that idea came to me and just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone agrees or disagrees.  Too soon?  Workable?  Just plain silly?

Thanks again, everybody.  And Rest in heavenly peace, Mr. Osbourne.  We're really going to miss you, much more intensely, from now on.     

• Like 3

First post here, so I hope it's okay for me to just thank everyone else before me for the lovely tributes for Mr. Osbourne, because they've expressed all the the emotions and accolades going through my head since I heard the sad news last night quite eloquently.  So thank you.

What drove me to post at this time, besides the passing of the 'Father of TCM,' of course, is also an idea that keeps tumbling around in my head, and thought I might offer it up as a suggestion for a way I'd, personally, like to see TCM honor Robert.  I'd really love to see a whole week, heck, why not a whole month of 'Robert's Wraparounds,' as a prime time theme?  Fill the prime time line-up with movies Robert did wraparounds for in the past, since there must be thousands of those archived.  Front it with a themed intro graphic that makes it clear they're retro (so nobody mistakenly thinks, 'Robert's back! Yay!' (as I'd SO wished for until last night!) so to speak, as a tribute to the divine TCM past.  Something of nostalgic comfort to us, to put Mr. Osbourne back where he'd been for so long in our TCM lives, remind us why we loved him so much, would be heaven to this Osbourne fan, at least.  I'd already missed him for so long, and now, he's never coming back, unless TCM helps me out, and that idea came to me and just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone agrees or disagrees.  Too soon?  Workable?  Just plain silly?

Thanks again, everybody.  And Rest in heavenly peace, Mr. Osbourne.  We're really going to miss you, much more intensely, from now on.     

Making Robert Star of the Month and showing his favorite films, as well as films where there is a RO 'wraparound',  is a great idea.   But my recommendation is that TCM do this next March.

PS:  Welcome! 

• Like 4

Making Robert Star of the Month and showing his favorite films, as well as films where there is a RO 'wraparound',  is a great idea.   But my recommendation is that TCM do this next March.

PS:  Welcome! 

Thank you!  For the Welcome and the response.  Robert as Star of the Month would be a superb idea, too!  It might be better to allow for some settling and grieving and such, before they proceed, you're right.  I'm just missing his presence so much already, you know?  But thanks again, jamesjazzguitar, and to TCM for giving us Robert to love in the first place, while I'm at it.  

• Like 3

Thank you!  For the Welcome and the response.  Robert as Star of the Month would be a superb idea, too!  It might be better to allow for some settling and grieving and such, before they proceed, you're right.  I'm just missing his presence so much already, you know?  But thanks again, jamesjazzguitar, and to TCM for giving us Robert to love in the first place, while I'm at it.  

What a wonderful idea. I'm sure TCM knows how devoted Robert's fans are.  I never thought I could love someone whom I've never met. I feel as though my best friend is gone. We've spent a lot of time together over the years.  I love his interviews, especially the one with Robert Mitchum ,when he decided to clam up. Robert took it with his usual aplomb. I'm sorry I never met him or went to the festivals. I'd always say, "Next year."  

• Like 4