CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

400 posts in this topic

That's too bad about Cluny Brown. They've only aired that a few times and I was looking forward to seeing it again. Ditto Bluebeard's Eighth Wife. I hope they will be rescheduled.

• Like 2

What did he go from?

& I'm certain somebody on here will recall, he got a "Hollywood WOF-Star" a few years ago & in front of a theatre he admired.  R.J. Wagner=-(l930-) was present.  Who recalls when & where?

I know it was since the last time I was out there in 05 though.

Someone should also display it on here

It's in front of the Ricardo Montalbam theater. I don't have a picture but I read where it was located in one of the many tributes I've seen in the last couple of days.

When John Chancellor retired from NBC News in 1993, he said that Dave Garroway once told him to never forget that he was always just a guest in the homes of the audience, and then in his sign off Mr. Chancellor graciously thanked his viewers for the honor of being a guest in our homes for so many years.

We all felt for a long time that Robert was more than just a welcome guest on television, but a friend and teacher about this great art of cinema.  How we'll miss him!

• Like 1

What did he go from?

& I'm certain somebody on here will recall, he got a "Hollywood WOF-Star" a few years ago & in front of a theatre he admired.  R.J. Wagner=-(l930-) was present.  Who recalls when & where?

I know it was since the last time I was out there in 05 though.

Someone should also display it on here

It's in front of the Ricardo Montalbam theater. I don't have a picture but I read where it was located in one of the many tributes I've seen in the last couple of days.

Here's an image of the two Roberts together at the ceremony, dated February 1, 2008.

Here's a whole treasure trove of images from the event, where I found the above.

And thanks to everyone for the welcomes and the wonderful additional ideas for tributes, too. :)

Though I'd continued to hope that Mr. Osborne's health would improve and he could return to the air, sadly, I knew this was a distinct possibility.

It's of some comfort that so many feel the same way I do, missing Robert Osborne imparting his knowledge of film with a passion and grace that's in short supply today. May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

Wow.  This death has thrown me for a loop way more than I thought it would.  I assumed Robert Osborne was ill and would never return but, when you see someone (even just on TV) every day for 15+ years, that person really becomes a part of your life and your routine. Having said that, I was thinking today about what a charmed life Robert Osborne led.  He ended up doing exactly what he always wanted to do, became friends with the people he idolized, was able to take his vast knowledge of "Old Hollywood" and make a very good living at it and was adored and admired by so many in the TCM community.  While it is sad that he became ill and was not able to continue being a TCM host (but, think about it, he was still doing a great deal of his hosting duties even as of a couple of years ago  --  how many of us are still working at 80+?) Robert Osborne truly had a "Wonderful Life" and that is something to celebrate.

Lydecker

• Like 9

I hope the posters won't be offended by my bit of levity but I was thinking of how important Oscar month was to Robert each year at TCM and how he exited this earth after Oscar month was over. It was like he waited to watch one last time before leaving.

It's the end of an era for TCM.

Wow.  This death has thrown me for a loop way more than I thought it would.  I assumed Robert Osborne was ill and would never return but, when you see someone (even just on TV) every day for 15+ years, that person really becomes a part of your life and your routine. Having said that, I was thinking today about what a charmed life Robert Osborne led.  He ended up doing exactly what he always wanted to do, became friends with the people he idolized, was able to take his vast knowledge of "Old Hollywood" and make a very good living at it and was adored and admired by so many in the TCM community.  While it is sad that he became ill and was not able to continue being a TCM host (but, think about it, he was still doing a great deal of his hosting duties even as of a couple of years ago  --  how many of us are still working at 80+?) Robert Osborne truly had a "Wonderful Life" and that is something to celebrate.

Lydecker

I have to write to say you expressed perfectly everything I've been thinking and feeling but have been unable to put into words.  Quite literally everything. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

• Like 2

RIP Dear, dear Robert Osborne.  Condolences to his friends and family.  What a loss.  I can't type any more or I'll start crying again.. :(

Martha Clark

Buda, TX

• Like 2

Having had a little more than a day to process the news of Osborne's death, I cannot help but wonder what TCM will end up programming in the primetime hours on May 31, 2017. The theme that night is currently listed as 'Robert Osborne's Picks', with the titles listed as TBA. When the May schedule was posted a couple of weeks ago, I was curious as to why no titles were displayed for that evening. Now, of course, we all know why.

I am sure TCM will have more to say about the future after a suitable period of celebrating Osborne's legacy has elapsed, but I will offer a suggestion right now. I like the idea of letting TCM's hosts program a night of movies each month, and I think it would be a comforting bit of continuity for TCM to introduce 'Ben's Picks' as a replacement for 'Bob's Picks'. Ben Mankiewicz could use the inaugural night of such a series to pay tribute to Osborne by scheduling three or four of R.O.'s favourites -- LIBELED LADY, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and THE BAND WAGON come to mind.

• Like 3

I had no idea he'd left us until an hour ago.  There was nothing about it in this morning's paper or on the CBS News yesterday or this evening.  (They ignored Mother Angelica's passing last year the same way so he's in good company).  I've spent the week-end and yesterday watching the remaining films I'd taped during the Oscar festival and was out all day today.  Just before eight I switched to TCM and saw the Remembrance for him.  I've been reading the thread ever since.

Of course we must have all seen this coming for the past year or so.  I'm not surprised but am saddened and in a way grateful the way you are when you know a friend is no longer in pain.  And he was a friend to anyone who loved classic films; we felt like we knew him even if the extent of our personal contact was glimpsing him at a Festival. 

Loved that Beverly Hillbillies clip; his voice didn't change much even if the hair color did. 

There's a hole inside me tonight that's going to take a long time filling.  Thank you, RO, for what you added to my enjoyment and knowledge of classic films and their stars.  As the song says "I Miss You Like Crazy".  

• Like 2

I'm curious about that coffee-table book about every movie ever made. What is the title? I would love to look for that.

I wish I could remember the name, I had even once considered contacting Robert Osborne about it, thinking he might know the name, but I didn't have luck finding contact info.  It had to have been published before 1972, and since my mother told me it had been my father's book, it might have been 10 years old at that time. If you find anything, please let me know.

I've held off commenting..because...well...my friendship with Robert has ALWAYS been private. When I turned on the movie...he was not talking to any of you all....he was talking to me. Just me. He was my friend in the living room, introducing me to the actors, the directors, the story line, and sometimes some juicy bits but never maliciously. So he would speak, and then be quiet for the rest of the film...a true friend! 

Not sure I would have my appreciation for older films if not for Robert. He was scholar and a gentleman. He didn't command respect or adoration...he compelled it. I have tears streaming down my face, not for what is missed but for what will never be. We will not see him introduce another film. There will never be another Robert Osborne.

And so I say...thank you Robert. We may not have you, but we have your legacy. We have your love of classic film...thanks to you. What a precious gift!

• Like 7

I just turned on the tv to see the intro to Anne of the Thousand Days and saw Ben open with the news.  My heart just sank.  First of all my condolences to Robert's family, friends, and fans.  He was such a lovely man.  I remember watching him when he and Nick Clooney hosted over 20 years ago.  He's the main reason for TCM and why I continue to watch.  The thing I will miss most is how his eyes would light up and his gentle smile that made you feel a spark of interest, even for movies you thought you'd never watch.  I found myself watching more silent and foreign films because of the stories he told about the films.  I know that Ben will carry on his tradition of making us thirst for the classics with the stories behind the films as well as giving us the restored films that had been damaged or thought to be lost.  But for now, I will grieve the loss of a true pioneer in the world of film history.  Rest well and say hello to the great ones in your company.

• Like 1

Yes, Robert Osborne was like a personal friend. I sensed this too. I felt directly spoken to a lot of the time.

So true. What I love about him was that he seemed so genuine. Most celebrities seem like they're pretending to be nice, but Bob seemed like he really was like that in real life.

R.I.P. Robert. Intelligent,informed,respectful and classy. The perfect host for a classic movie channel. Thank you for all your years of insight and ,most definitely, your passion for the movies. Now I think I'll go watch some Gene Tierney.

• Like 2

I have to write to say you expressed perfectly everything I've been thinking and feeling but have been unable to put into words.  Quite literally everything. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

The above quote refers to post #12 by Lydecker. I was thinking something similar about how Robert O's life was somewhat charmed.…And reflecting on that, I realized that life can have rough spots, and "falling into" great opportunities was partly his own doing. He pursued a subject he loved with lots of hard work, but also came across as a kind, compassionate person. And I expect that he strove to treat all with respect. So Robert Osborne made the most of life and his choices attracted others, be it with opportunities or admiration.

I guess the only thing better would've been to have a longer life. However, I did read in one of the articles [i'm paraphrasing here] that he left this earth when he wanted to.

Rest in peace Mr. Osborne this is former Staff Sergeant SW Rice formerly of the US Air Force Security Forces Security police and 919th Special Operations group 1984 to 2001 and the point of contact in South Carolina  for Curtis Sliwa's NYC Guardian Angels and  blessed to be a co-founder of Bill H.3036 a bill to honor and proclaim EARTHA KITT DAY in South Carolina on January 17th. Also you played a movie request for me on January 17th 2001 Captain Nemo (Robert Ryan) and the Underwater City I felt like I was a kid again living in New Hampshire in the late 1960's and early seventies and I am in your debt! Rest in peace kind sir till we all get to Heaven!

• Like 1

RIP Robert Osborne. For years I enjoyed your intros to movies. You always gave so much information and details that everyone wanted to know. I suspected a serious illness a few months ago when you stopped appearing on TCM. So sorry to be right. You will be greatly missed.

I have come to enjoy Ben's intros, but still miss seeing your face.

That's too bad about Cluny Brown. They've only aired that a few times and I was looking forward to seeing it again. Ditto Bluebeard's Eighth Wife. I hope they will be rescheduled.

+1 BIG TIME

In fact- in the DEPT. OF STRANGE COINCIDENCES- CLUNY BROWN is probably my favorite memory of a TCM Viewing experience ever.

cluny-brown-title-still.jpg

I think it was Christmas Eve 7 years (or so) ago and this was Bob's pick for the night.

I do not like anything about Christmas.

I was just getting ready to put the nylon over my head and go out and smash some lawn decorations when this came on; and as per Bob's spirited introduction and the fact that i found the title intriguing, I gave it a looksie.

Brightened my night like anything. A lovely, lovely movie. Perfection. Confection. (makes hand gesture and air kiss)

Squirrels to the nuts.

Nuts to the squirrels.

And Godspeed, Mr. Osborne, forever am I indebted to you for brightening my life that night.

• Like 3

Glad I have a few of Robert's intros recorded, he was TCM.  Will be missed.  RIP.

The web master should place a memorial tribute to Robert on the page header.

ROsborne.preview.jpg

Robert Osborne was Classic Film's best friend.  Classic film, its actors, TCM, and their fans will never be the same.  We have lost our champion, our oracle, and our guide through the Golden (the greatest) Age of Movies.

Rest in peace, dear one.  You are loved and missed.

• Like 2

Having had a little more than a day to process the news of Osborne's death, I cannot help but wonder what TCM will end up programming in the primetime hours on May 31, 2017. The theme that night is currently listed as 'Robert Osborne's Picks', with the titles listed as TBA. When the May schedule was posted a couple of weeks ago, I was curious as to why no titles were displayed for that evening. Now, of course, we all know why.

I am sure TCM will have more to say about the future after a suitable period of celebrating Osborne's legacy has elapsed, but I will offer a suggestion right now. I like the idea of letting TCM's hosts program a night of movies each month, and I think it would be a comforting bit of continuity for TCM to introduce 'Ben's Picks' as a replacement for 'Bob's Picks'. Ben Mankiewicz could use the inaugural night of such a series to pay tribute to Osborne by scheduling three or four of R.O.'s favourites -- LIBELED LADY, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and THE BAND WAGON come to mind.

Great idea, Barton. The Razor's Edge was another RO favorite.

• Like 1

Maybe this belongs here, maybe it doesn't. It's an anecdote involving Robert. One time I knew somebody who could get me a copy of 1930's "Puttin on the Ritz" He said he had the whole 90 minutes of it. Great!  Because 20 minutes of the film were considered lost and only 69 minutes of it remained. The guy wrote back - Sorry I was wrong. The first 20 minutes are just two guys discussing the 69 minutes of the film that everybody knows survives. I asked - Who was discussing it? His answer- Roger Ebert and Robert Osborne, looking to be in the 1980s or so. Don't worry, he adds. I deleted the 20 minutes so you won't be bothered with fast forwarding through it. My reaction  - AAAAAAAARGH! Gee I would have liked to see those two together discussing ANYTHING. And poof - just like that - gone forever.

• Like 5