TomJH

Does Donald Trump Have Mental Health Problems?

157 posts in this topic

When is it okay to say the president might be nuts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/05/02/when-is-it-okay-to-say-the-president-might-be-nuts/?utm_term=.df30cd6064cd&wpisrc=nl_most-draw5&wpmm=1

Is Trump nuts, ill-informed or a liar — or all three?

Until now, people who could have shed light on a president’s mental state were professionally hindered from doing so. The so-called Goldwater Rule — named for the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, whom some psychiatrists took to calling crazy because of his foreign policy views — admonishes medical professionals not to opine on the mental health of people whom they had not examined. In the context of Trump, however, there has been some buzz about doing away with the rule on the grounds that psychiatrists should be able to give their best medical judgment to “warn” the public.

Evan Osnos in the New Yorker waded into that debate in a piece questioning whether Trump might be removed under the 25th Amendment:

Lance Dodes, a retired assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, believes that, in this instance, the Goldwater rule is outweighed by another ethical commitment: a “duty to warn” others when he assesses that a person might harm them. Dodes told me, “Trump is going to face challenges from people who are not going to bend to his will. If you have a President who takes it as a personal attack on him, which he does, and flies into a paranoid rage, that’s how you start a war.”

Like many of his colleagues, Dodes speculates that Trump fits the description of someone with malignant narcissism, which is characterized by grandiosity, a need for admiration, sadism, and a tendency toward unrealistic fantasies. On February 13th, in a letter to the [New York] Times, Dodes and thirty-four other mental-health professionals wrote, “We fear that too much is at stake to be silent any longer.” In response, Allen Frances, a professor emeritus at Duke University Medical College, who wrote the section on narcissistic personality disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—IV, sought to discourage the public diagnoses. Frances wrote, “He may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn’t make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder. . . . The antidote to a dystopic Trumpean dark age is political, not psychological.”

The so-called Goldwater Rule — named for the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, whom some psychiatrists took to calling crazy because of his foreign policy views — admonishes medical professionals not to opine on the mental health of people whom they had not examined. 

A doctor may not be able to make judgements about a person's heart, kidneys, or lungs by watching them on television; but psychiatry is different. Much of the diagnosis comes through observing speech and thought patterns as reflected in speech. So it is possible to diagnose someone like Trump, not because you don't like his opinions, but by observation over time.  

• Like 1

Trump's extreme narcissistic condition does constitute some kind of a mental disorder.

However, for the most part, he's just an ignorant, stupid man, who has no respect for others.

He thinks so highly of himself that he feels that other people have to accept his outright bold-faced lies, just because they come from him.

The real people who are insane or those who voted for somebody who is incompetent, unreliable and not qualified for the position of president.

• Like 4

"Watch them start to choke like dogs," President Trump is reported saying in a Time exclusive, speaking of former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and the now fired Acting Attorney General Sally Yates...

We are in deep delusion territory here, people. And this isn’t meant as a dig or to be snarky. This man isn’t fit to be president. He doesn’t have a positive relationship with reality.

Further indication of just how unfit for this job Donald Trump is was seen in his confused reaction to his firing of Comey. He expected Democrats to be happy about it because they had expressed dissatisfaction in Comey’s handling of the Clinton email investigation.

Trump can’t understand the political dynamics in his firing of Comey, so it’s no wonder Trump is so easily played by Russia.

Trump has clearly been coddled in his figuratively small world where he could name reality and beat anyone who disagreed with a legal attack....

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/05/11/watch-start-choke-dogs-trump-clapper-yates.html

• Like 2

How is President Pence starting to sound to everybody?

I get why some people voted for Trump so I'm not going to call (most of) them insane and I know some people will stick with Trump no matter what and these people wouldn't have voted for Clinton under any circumstance.  I do blame Clinton for not spending more time in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania (outside of the big cities) as she took these states for granted and you don't take any states for granted in this kind of election.

This is the possible scenario:  regular Republicans are going to get so concerned as Trump's approval numbers dip further, Pence, at the prodding of these Republicans, will use the 25th Amendment to "retire" Trump.  No impeachment.  Pence is the establishment's kind of Republican anyway:  hawkish, anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, pro-business, etc.  Indeed, Pence wanted to run for President this time around but he botched his proposed anti-gay legislation in Indiana so badly that several businesses threatened  to move out and his campaign never got going.  This way he gets to be President without having to work for it.  Of course, for this to happen Trump really has to go off the rails and Pence and Company have to play their cards just right.  Are we at that point yet?.

If the last few days doesn't answer this thread's question,  then you have mental health problems.

• Like 2

How is President Pence starting to sound to everybody?

I get why some people voted for Trump so I'm not going to call (most of) them insane and I know some people will stick with Trump no matter what and these people wouldn't have voted for Clinton under any circumstance.  I do blame Clinton for not spending more time in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania (outside of the big cities) as she took these states for granted and you don't take any states for granted in this kind of election.

This is the possible scenario:  regular Republicans are going to get so concerned as Trump's approval numbers dip further, Pence, at the prodding of these Republicans, will use the 25th Amendment to "retire" Trump.  No impeachment.  Pence is the establishment's kind of Republican anyway:  hawkish, anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, pro-business, etc.  Indeed, Pence wanted to run for President this time around but he botched his proposed anti-gay legislation in Indiana so badly that several businesses threatened  to move out and his campaign never got going.  This way he gets to be President without having to work for it.  Of course, for this to happen Trump really has to go off the rails and Pence and Company have to play their cards just right.  Are we at that point yet?.

just shows you how partisan-hamstrung the democrats are. pence is the real thing, an ideologically-driven conservative.

they wanna nail trump for that?.  :huh:  :lol:

American Psychoanalytic Association Says Its Members Are Free to Weigh in on Donald Trump's Obviously Troubled Mind-

"This month, the American Psychoanalytic Association told its roughly 3,500 members a decades-old rule against speculating on the mental health of some public figures does not apply to their members—

According to Scientific American, one of the association’s past presidents, Dr. Prudence Gourguechon, said the rule change was motivated by “belief in the value of psychoanalytic knowledge in explaining human behavior. We don’t want to prohibit our members from using their knowledge responsibly.”

The rule change was in part necessary since President Donald Trump’s “behavior is so different from anything we’ve seen before,” Gourguechon added.......

But there’s also grounds to wonder if relaxing a rule designed to prevent the political weaponization of a medical discipline could have consequences long beyond the current moment. We do live in an age of Dr. Phils, massive stigmatization of mental health issues and politicians quite eager to call their opponents insane.

Trump’s “psychological motivations are too obvious to be interesting, and analyzing them will not halt his headlong power grab,”......

http://gizmodo.com/american-psychoanalytic-association-says-its-members-ar-1797247879

• Like 1

same old standard daily msnbc sour grapes. :P

This has nothing to do with any media anywhere or Democratic sour grapes.

Susan Collins is a Republican Senator from Maine.

Being prudent and professional, she didn't say this to any media.

The Senator simply didn't realize her microphone was still on.

But the truth will out.

Currently Senator Collins is in her third term.

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with any media anywhere or Democratic sour grapes.

Susan Collins is a Republican Senator from Maine.

Being prudent and professional, she didn't say this to any media.

The Senator simply didn't realize her microphone was still on.

But the truth will out.

Currently Senator Collins is in her third term.

Nip is going after Republicans like Sen. Collins and Richard Painter who are not Trump sycophants.  At least there are some Republicans capable of independent and reasonable thought.  Trump is getting worse every day and they can see it.  Heck, we all can see it.  Other Republicans can probably see it, too, but are just too chicken**** to say or do anything.

• Like 4

What's with Trump announcing to the world that the Mexican President and the Boy Scouts telephoned him to lavish praise on him only to have it so easily denied?  He's done this before too but it is far from any kind of normal behaviour never mind that of the POTUS.

• Like 6

What's with Trump announcing to the world that the Mexican President and the Boy Scouts telephoned him to lavish praise on him only to have it so easily denied?  He's done this before too but it is far from any kind of normal behaviour never mind that of the POTUS.

Yes, like I said on another thread:  Trump is a bad liar because his lies can easily be checked on.  Like calling the White House a dump, then denying it, and now there are a 8-9 witnesses saying they heard him say it.  Maybe he should stick to lying about his golf game.

Speaking of normal behavior, how is Donny going to react to Russia calling him "impotent" today because of the sanctions bill?    I bet the insecure ego-in-chief is not a happy camper right now. Official babystitter, hand-holder and visitor-screener General Kelly better be careful when the crazy explodes.

If I was Trump I would have vetoed the sanctions bill, let Congress override it, then go to Big Daddy Putin and say, "Well I tried sir, but we have these three branches of government here and two of them think they are equal to me."

• Like 5

Yes, like I said on another thread: Trump is a bad liar because his lies can easily be checked on. Like calling the White House a dump, then denying it, and now there are a 8-9 witnesses saying they heard him say it. Maybe he should stick to lying about his golf game.

Speaking of normal behavior, how is Donny going to react to Russia calling him "impotent" today because of the sanctions bill? I bet the insecure ego-in-chief is not a happy camper right now. Official babystitter, hand-holder and visitor-screener General Kelly better be careful when the crazy explodes.

If I was Trump I would have vetoed the sanctions bill, let Congress override it, then go to Big Daddy Putin and say, "Well I tried sir, but we have these three branches of government here and two of them think they are equal to me."

It's hard to believe that a US Marine 4-Star General like John Kelly, who has commanded troops on the front line, is now been reduced to babysitting a

71 year-old narcissistic-pathological liar, who has lived his life as a rich, obnoxious, autocrat--always getting his own way.

That's a sad career-ending for a man like General Kelly.

BTW-- General Kelly enlisted in the US Marine Corps during the Vietnam War.

• Like 5

It's hard to believe that a US Marine 4-Star General like John Kelly, who has commanded troops on the front line, is now been reduced to babysitting a

71 year-old narcissistic-pathological liar, who has lived his life as a rich, obnoxious, autocrat--always getting his own way.

That's a sad career-ending for a man like General Kelly.

BTW-- General Kelly enlisted in the US Marine Corps during the Vietnam War.

What I find interesting, and troubling, is why in God's name would Kelly want this job with this man?

• Like 2

What I find interesting, and troubling, is why in God's name would Kelly want this job with this man?

I assume it is because Kelly really cares about his country and, while maybe this is wishful thinking on his part,  feels that he can make a difference by limiting the amount of damage Trump does as President.

• Like 3

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/20/media/trump-carl-bernstein-reliable-sources/index.html

Reliable Sources

Carl Bernstein: This is the Trump story reporters need to cover
by Jackie Wattles   @jackiewattles
Is President Trump stable and competent enough to do his job?

Investigative reporter and CNN contributor Carl Bernstein says reporters must be asking those questions.

"Republicans in Congress, the highest of intelligence officials, the highest of military officers in our country, leaders of the business community -- all of whom have dealt with the White House, and many of them dealt personally with Donald Trump -- have come to believe that he is unfit for the presidency," Bernstein told CNN's Brian Stelter on Sunday.

• Like 3

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/20/media/trump-carl-bernstein-reliable-sources/index.html

Reliable Sources

Carl Bernstein: This is the Trump story reporters need to cover
by Jackie Wattles   @jackiewattles
Is President Trump stable and competent enough to do his job?

Investigative reporter and CNN contributor Carl Bernstein says reporters must be asking those questions.

"Republicans in Congress, the highest of intelligence officials, the highest of military officers in our country, leaders of the business community -- all of whom have dealt with the White House, and many of them dealt personally with Donald Trump -- have come to believe that he is unfit for the presidency," Bernstein told CNN's Brian Stelter on Sunday.

the american mainstream media, Bogie56, closet democrats for over 50 years, are merely sparking to their defeat last year. nothing more.

publically denigrating trump will not change last year's election results. they want pence because at least to them he is a known quantity. they will not get him...

T R U M P !

the american mainstream media, Bogie56, closet democrats for over 50 years, are merely sparking to their defeat last year. nothing more.

publically denigrating trump will not change last year's election results. they want pence because at least to them he is a known quantity. they will not get him...

Falling back on the "sour grapes" election defeat, as you do, time after time here, only shows that you have no answers to Trump critics accusations of his erratic, temperamental behaviour, completely inappropriate for an occupant of the Oval Office.

Let's face it - Trump's election victory on November 8th was the highlight day for Trump supporters. It's been an embarrassing downhill slide ever since. Why do you think Trump keeps reliving election night, even now, nine months later.

Would you dare bet against Trump's reliving it yet again (including how the media pundits were wrong) when he has his campaign rally tomorrow might? Yeah, the base loves it, as much as Trump, because they sure don't want to concentrate on his "accomplishments" since then.

• Like 4